PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Heidi W :)

bunzfan
July 14th, 2012, 04:22 AM
Just wanted to say thank you Heidi for your information on a good clarifying wash how to do it and why do it let me explain, for months i couldn't work out or fix why my hair just felt too soft and sort of coated until yesterday i was looking for reason why you might need to clarify, i came across an old post where you said it could be needed if you use styling products or oils which i use a lot recently.

So last night i add bicarb to shampoo 1tbs each and washed my hair with it twice and my hair has never felt so clean and fluffy for well months :D i think its been over 6 months since i last clarified i thought if you use shampoo that's doing the same thing well obviously not, i also stopped co washing recently so maybe its taken a layer of conditioner off to.

Thanks Heidi .

MeowScat
July 14th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Heidi w. always gives great advice and explains everything so well.

I'm glad clarifying helped your hair to come back to life. Where do you get bicarb? I have no clue what it is and I'm interested in giving it a try now.

Silverbrumby
July 14th, 2012, 08:14 AM
It looks wonderful bunzfan. I also learned from heidi my scalp likes to be clean, not stretch washes especially when the scalp gets sore and not overload on oils.

firegypsy
July 14th, 2012, 03:04 PM
It looks wonderful bunzfan. I also learned from heidi my scalp likes to be clean, not stretch washes especially when the scalp gets sore and not overload on oils.

Me too. Thanks Heidi!

Astrophil
July 14th, 2012, 03:39 PM

I'm glad clarifying helped your hair to come back to life. Where do you get bicarb? I have no clue what it is and I'm interested in giving it a try now.

Bicarb is what they call baking soda in the UK.

jojo
July 14th, 2012, 04:00 PM
^^ also don't get baking powder mixed up with baking soda, 2 different things!

My hair doesn't like bicarbonate of soda as it dries my hair out and be careful bunzfan which your recently dyed hair, bicarbonate is notorious for pulling dye from hair and causing it to fade. But glad you enjoyed your results!

bunzfan
July 15th, 2012, 08:06 AM

My hair doesn't like bicarbonate of soda as it dries my hair out and be careful bunzfan which your recently dyed hair, bicarbonate is notorious for pulling dye from hair and causing it to fade. But glad you enjoyed your results!

I wish something would dry it out:rolleyes: i think its far to moisturised but i don't know how to fix it it didn't dry it out it felt nice afterwards.

MeowScat
July 15th, 2012, 08:41 AM

Holy cow, thank you so much! I've always wondered what bicarb was, I had no clue it was Baking Soda with a different name. Ha!

Bunzfan, I've always wanted over moisturized hair. Does it look
oily or does it just feel too limp or something?

heidi w.
July 15th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Thank you in turn. Shampooing is NOT the same as clarifying. One can also consider the option of purchasing a clarifying shampoo, which should have the word "clarify" somehow on the front label. IF you color your hair, you might want to be careful. I've always thought that Baking SODA can possibly cause problems for colored hair, and above someone confirms that. Apparently, some people having problems using the home made recipe for clarifying, so then, use the store-bought clarify product. I also advise that if you swim, you may have troubles. IF you swim and have an issue with chlorine, you may need to chelate instead. Not positive.

Clarifying absolutely removes conditioner, oils, product left on the hair somehow, and removes hard water minerals...the stuff that can build up on top of the cuticle. When you remove it via clarifying your hair will be bare butt naked, and therefore, for your hair to come out well and not behave seemingly oddly (as in a bit frizzy perhaps, kind of brittle or dry feeling...) it's important to REPLACE WHAT WAS REMOVED. So as part of this kind of hair wash, absolutely condition well, perhaps leaving the conditioner on for a bit.

Lastly there is absolutely no need to clarify on any sort of regular schedule. Clarifying when you don't need it isn't that preventative, really. Most may only need to do it perhaps three times a year. CO washers perhaps a bit more often. Clarify on an as-needed basis. Follow with your usual routine of a leave-in or oiling session, if you like. You can also vinegar or ACV Rinse if you'd like.....

heidi w.

heidi w.
July 15th, 2012, 09:21 AM

That is precisely what happens after using Baking Soda clarifying home recipe. One therefore must moisturize well as part of a clarify hair wash. I don't know if you used conditioner or not in this hair wash? Some people don't realize how hair ends up after this type of clarify hair wash if they don't condition.

I've heard relatively few, although I've heard that some people absolutely don't fare well with a clarify baking soda hair wash.

To the masses, not this person, do not wash your hair on a regular basis with Baking Soda. That is not a good idea at all.

heidi w.

heidi w.
July 15th, 2012, 09:22 AM

In the US it's called Baking SODA. Don't confuse it with Baking POWDER. They're not the same thing at all.

Both are quick rising agents in baking.

heidi w.

heidi w.
July 15th, 2012, 09:24 AM

In any grocery store in the US....I assume likewise in the UK, but not positive. Look in the baking aisle of the grocery store in the US. Sometimes in the laundry aisle they'll have a huge box of Baking Soda....(Arm & Hammer Baking Soda...)

heidi w.

jojo
July 15th, 2012, 09:27 AM
I wish something would dry it out:rolleyes: i think its far to moisturised but i don't know how to fix it it didn't dry it out it felt nice afterwards.

I'm talking candy floss VERY dry. Mine felt lovely too the first few times I tried it, then wham! Candy floss horrible hair and I'm not the only one to have experienced this, but it's your hair, just voicing my opinion!

jojo
July 15th, 2012, 09:28 AM
In any grocery store in the US....I assume likewise in the UK, but not positive. Look in the baking aisle of the grocery store in the US. Sometimes in the laundry aisle they'll have a huge box of Baking Soda....(Arm & Hammer Baking Soda...)

heidi w.

Yeah same in the uk in the baking section, it's normally in a white tub with blue top, the baking powder one has a red lid!

jojo
July 15th, 2012, 09:33 AM
That is precisely what happens after using Baking Soda clarifying home recipe. One therefore must moisturize well as part of a clarify hair wash. I don't know if you used conditioner or not in this hair wash? Some people don't realize how hair ends up after this type of clarify hair wash if they don't condition.

I've heard relatively few, although I've heard that some people absolutely don't fare well with a clarify baking soda hair wash.

To the masses, not this person, do not wash your hair on a regular basis with Baking Soda. That is not a good idea at all.

heidi w.

Yeah even as a wash and not used as a clarifying treatment it dried my hair out after a few washes, some get along just fine with it but I think on hair which is fine it's too harsh. It is known to also strip colour and some use it for that reason,

I wish it did work for me as it would save me a fortune, I also noticed far more splits when using this, probably due to the drying affect it has.

Each to their own, nobodies hair has the exact same needs no matter how similar in texture and thickness, just voicing my experiences with it :)

bunzfan
July 15th, 2012, 09:37 AM
I'm talking candy floss VERY dry. Mine felt lovely too the first few times I tried it, then wham! Candy floss horrible hair and I'm not the only one to have experienced this, but it's your hair, just voicing my opinion!

Oh i know you were just saying what can happen, i wasn't having a go or anything:)

heidi w.
July 15th, 2012, 09:37 AM
I have fairly fine hair, but I've met others with even finer hair, much like spun cotton candy fine.

I can't even recall the last time I clarified, I do it so rarely now. Earlier on, I had to do it a bit more often to help manage my Seborrheic Dermatitus: all that sebum buildup was so thick, it was like I was wearing this suffocating hat.

But I've since found better ways to manage my S.D. Thankfully!

heidi w.

afu
July 15th, 2012, 10:01 AM
UK baking powder is a mixture of bicarbonate soda (USA- baking soda) and cream of tartar, from what I've read it is also suitable for hair use

Astrophil
July 16th, 2012, 05:38 AM
UK baking powder is a mixture of bicarbonate soda (USA- baking soda) and cream of tartar, from what I've read it is also suitable for hair use

Baking powder is the same in both countries. US baking soda = UK bicarbonate of soda, and then baking powder is soda + cream of tartar. You can make your own baking powder if you add cream of tartar to your baking soda/bicarb.

I've never used either one in my hair, though.

blondie9912
July 16th, 2012, 05:45 AM

I've definitely noticed the sore scalp thing. Stretching washes too long doesn't work for me, either!

Angel Barchild
July 16th, 2012, 07:41 AM
I gave up on stretching washes a while back. I have to wash my hair every other day at the very least. I had been told by many people over the years that if I just washed less my scalp would produce less oil, that all I needed was time to adjust. I gave it two years and it never did. I just gave up and wash every day or every other day as needed.