PDA

View Full Version : Tangle Teezer or Mason Pearson Detangler Brush

mckenzie
July 14th, 2012, 12:58 AM
My hair tangles real easily and I usually have to detangle several times a day. I use a wide tooth seamless handmade comb for when my hair is wet right out of the shower, and that works great. When my hair is dry though, I cannot use the comb, no matter how careful I am. Even if I fingercomb before using, it always ends up snapping my hair and causing breakage. I honestly have much better luck detangling with my Mason Pearson BBB (Sensitive), although I know it is not meant for this.
So, In my quest to find a suitable detangling brush for my very fine hair, I am wondering which would be better, the Tangle Teezer or the MP Detangling Brush.

Thanks!

SilverDoe
July 14th, 2012, 02:30 AM
I'd say try the tangle teezer first, as it's so much cheaper than the MP detangler brush.
Should you be unsatisfied with the TT, I guarantee you that you have a pet, family member or friend whom will like it better, and you can go on to purchase the expensive MP brush.

I've personally had no luck with any brush during detangling other than the TT with my fine hair.

mckenzie
July 14th, 2012, 02:48 AM
Thanks SilverDoe! I have two dogs, so that would be a good idea, should it not work out.

Amber_Maiden
July 14th, 2012, 03:27 AM
I second the TT.

mckenzie
July 14th, 2012, 03:37 AM
I second the TT.

Thanks! :)

SilverDoe
July 14th, 2012, 03:42 AM
Once you've decided on a tangle teezer, the real hard decision is which color & style to get.
I ended up with three before I even knew if I liked it. :D

mckenzie
July 14th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Once you've decided on a tangle teezer, the real hard decision is which color & style to get.
I ended up with three before I even knew if I liked it. :D

Funny :D I've already been looking online, and having a hard time deciding color!

auburntressed
July 14th, 2012, 04:05 AM
Haha! I knew immediately that I wanted a glittery purple one. :p Though now I'm looking at the travel sized ones for my three year old nieces so they have something small enough for their wee hands. :) And I'm wondering what colors to get THEM.

Anyways, yeah. I like my TT quite well, even though I nearly always use my wide tooth comb instead - wet or dry. I guess I like having options and back ups.

Isn't it weird how hair is more fragile when wet, but it FEELS stronger?

SilverDoe
July 14th, 2012, 04:12 AM
Haha! I knew immediately that I wanted a glittery purple one. :p Though now I'm looking at the travel sized ones for my three year old nieces so they have something small enough for their wee hands. :) And I'm wondering what colors to get THEM.

Anyways, yeah. I like my TT quite well, even though I nearly always use my wide tooth comb instead - wet or dry. I guess I like having options and back ups.

Isn't it weird how hair is more fragile when wet, but it FEELS stronger?

The flowerpot one is so darn cute! :p
I bought it for my long haired guinea pig, but I honestly use it more on myself than the travel sized one that I dumped in my bag.
The pot itself keeps all bobby pins & mini flexi8's from mysteriously escaping into an alternate universe.

Of the Fae
July 14th, 2012, 04:29 AM
My hair tangles like a pair of strings in a coat pocket. I use a TT and it works very well. It still takes a lot of time to detangle, but much less, and less snapping!
Wet detangling I never do, unless I have loads of conditioner in.

FrannyG
July 14th, 2012, 04:48 AM
I am another who agrees that the Tangle Teezer is the way to go. It's inexpensive and it does a great job on fine hair.

The price is just so darn high for their detangling brush, and you might find that the Tangle Teezer is all you'll ever need. Mason Pearson make excellent products, but you might wait until your hair is longer before you purchase from them. At that point you might want to treat yourself to one of their original brushes to treat yourself.

auburntressed
July 14th, 2012, 04:51 AM
The flowerpot one is so darn cute! :p
I bought it for my long haired guinea pig, but I honestly use it more on myself than the travel sized one that I dumped in my bag.
The pot itself keeps all bobby pins & mini flexi8's from mysteriously escaping into an alternate universe.

Ohman! I just now saw the flower pots online. :D Too adorable. This is just perfect for them.

afu
July 14th, 2012, 05:27 AM
Another vote for the TT - I use one and i wouldn't go back to any other brush (and i hate combs). I have the travel sized one in gold and black because the regular ones are too big. My sister has the regular sized one and if you pull the back off you can store things inside

onthegrow
July 14th, 2012, 06:05 AM
I love my tangle teaser. My fine hair tangles just looking at it. My DH uses it too. Does a great job. I've never seen the flower pot one now I'm off to search for it.

prettykitty
July 14th, 2012, 06:25 AM
I've never had an MP but I love my Tangle Teezer. It's like a cross between a comb and a brush for me. Gives a lovely scalp massage and I can actually clean it properly-I always feel other brushes get dirty :/ Plan to buy a travel one for my handbag soon!

faellen
July 14th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Another vote for the Tangle Teezer! I have 2 (normal one and compact for my bag), and I love them so much!

auburntressed
July 14th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I've never had an MP but I love my Tangle Teezer. It's like a cross between a comb and a brush for me. Gives a lovely scalp massage and I can actually clean it properly-I always feel other brushes get dirty :/ Plan to buy a travel one for my handbag soon!

Honestly, my TT doesn't penetrate to my scalp, so it's not very massaging. But what you say about cleaning is so true. I feel like when I clean my TT it actually gets reset to as clean as new. And it's really hard to get that with the other brushes I've had. Clean counts for a lot with me. I always clean my comb and TT when I wash my hair so I feel like I have clean tools to use against fresh hair.

afu
July 14th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Honestly, my TT doesn't penetrate to my scalp, so it's not very massaging. But what you say about cleaning is so true. I feel like when I clean my TT it actually gets reset to as clean as new. And it's really hard to get that with the other brushes I've had. Clean counts for a lot with me. I always clean my comb and TT when I wash my hair so I feel like I have clean tools to use against fresh hair.

I always rinse mine in the shower too, I've heard of people on here putting them in the dishwasher!

jojo
July 14th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Your talking of two different tools, a BBB is not meant for detangling it's job is to smooth hair, stimulate scalp and spread sebum down the hair shaft and should never be used before you have detangled with a wide toothed comb. Tangle teezers help detangling but the plastic bristles may generate heat and cause the hair shaft to weaken, I gave mine to my daughter as I preferred to detangled with a comb.
I have a large MP brush and use it daily, it's my secret weapon in keeping my hair in tip top condition.

mckenzie
July 14th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Your talking of two different tools, a BBB is not meant for detangling it's job is to smooth hair, stimulate scalp and spread sebum down the hair shaft and should never be used before you have detangled with a wide toothed comb. Tangle teezers help detangling but the plastic bristles may generate heat and cause the hair shaft to weaken, I gave mine to my daughter as I preferred to detangled with a comb.
I have a large MP brush and use it daily, it's my secret weapon in keeping my hair in tip top condition.

Hi jojo, MP have a brush called the detangler (all nylon), that's the one I was talking about. :) Reading your reviews regarding MP BBB's and seeing pic's of your beautiful hair, made me go out and get my own about 2 weeks ago! I love it, so thanks (again):blossom:

mckenzie
July 14th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks all for your replies! I'm excited to get my TT now, almost sure I'll go with the purple glittery one! I have a Ricky's not far from me, so hopefully the have them in stock, and in a color I like! Thanks again :)

firegypsy
July 14th, 2012, 02:23 PM
I just picked up the purple sparkly one this morning and my daughter LOVES it. I haven't used it yet, but I am excited to do so!

(Before I knew about this site I used a mason pearson mixed BB/nylon brush on wet hair daily. :o....when we know better we do better!)

I wonder if the nylon is truly safe to use for detangling?

mckenzie
July 15th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Thanks guys! Just got my Tangle Teezer (purple) & I love it! Better that I expected, much better! :)