PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Silken
July 13th, 2012, 05:02 PM
First, how long do you think it will take for me to reach waist length?
As you can see, I'm trying to grow out some layers, hence the blunt cut I got a couple of months ago.
Do I leave it alone?
Do I trim more layers off?
I have no idea what to do...

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh603/mypix0nline/7-14-12.jpg

didrash
July 13th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I think your hair looks very nice. I would leave it until I reach my goal length before I trim. I also think you are almost at waist, 2-3 months max, depending on your growth rate.

Amber_Maiden
July 13th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Really depends on your growth rate.

lapushka
July 13th, 2012, 05:31 PM
I agree with didrash. Looks like about an inch, maybe slightly more, about 2 to 3 months of growth until WL.

Unicorn
July 13th, 2012, 05:57 PM
I think it looks good as it is.

The only thing I can think of to do differently would be a soft 'U'. Which would mean just rounding it slightly either side of the blunt cut, without taking anything off the length.

I do have a love of the oval shape that fairy tales ends often produce, so I am biased :) It would give you a stronger oval than fairy tailed hair, but a similar aesthetic.

It would be different rather than better, but it would produce an effect that compliments the layers, (IMHO) so you can enjoy them while they're there rather than feel as if you're waiting for them to go. Of course if you don't like the oval effect then this is invalid...

Unicorn

Silken
July 13th, 2012, 06:08 PM
I've been considering a U... I have a hair appointment for next week, (color) so I have until then to decide. I can't believe how many layers I got, way back then, aarrgghh! And patience, which is what I need, was never my strong suit, lol.

Cowgirl16
July 13th, 2012, 06:15 PM
I think you should leave it or at the very most add a soft U to it. Your hair is beautiful :)

owlathena
July 13th, 2012, 06:20 PM
I agree with unicorn! I think rounding it out would blend in the layers a bit and then just let it grow!

torrilin
July 13th, 2012, 06:48 PM
I'd just let it grow. I like the layers better than the blunt end. The shaping looks like it will really accentuate your figure once you're done growing out.

It looks to me like you have about a hand's width from your current length to WL, maybe a smidge more. If you have an average growth rate of 0.5" per month, that'd be around 8 months with no trims. Most hairdresser trims work out to be 1-2", so every trim will set you back quite a bit.

If you're set on a blunt hemline, once you hit waist, I'd start maintaining by trimming your hair yourself every 2-3 months.

Silken
July 13th, 2012, 06:52 PM
The hemline is something I need to decide on, I see pics here, I think "yeah, Vs are great!" then 5 minutes later it's "Ooooh, I love blunt!" and later yet it's "I could do a U..." *headdesk* Blame it on all the gorgeous hair with and the different hemlines I see here, lol.

frodolaughs
July 13th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Unless your ends are splitting like mad, the quickest way to get to your goal length is to avoid the trimming temptation. If I were you I'd pick a length to get to, then adjust the layers and hemline shape while maintaining that length. Otherwise it's very easy to trim away all your growth and more.

jeanniet
July 13th, 2012, 07:09 PM
I would grow to goal, since you really only have a few months left. Then maintain at that length while you grow out your layers. If you decide to go longer after that, great! Your hair is lovely! :)

briles
July 13th, 2012, 07:22 PM
The hemline is something I need to decide on, I see pics here, I think "yeah, Vs are great!" then 5 minutes later it's "Ooooh, I love blunt!" and later yet it's "I could do a U..." *headdesk* Blame it on all the gorgeous hair with and the different hemlines I see here, lol.

That is the truth! There is so much gorgeous hair on here. I am still trying to decide on my hemline. I think I like the theory of blunt and the look of U's and V's. :)

Silken
July 13th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Ok, I have no split ends, so I will resist. *gnaws on fists* I will I will I will!!! I *think* I can... aarrgghh. Ok. I will. NO trims. NONONONONO TRIMS. *game face*

Loviatar
July 13th, 2012, 08:02 PM
I'm the same as you when it comes to hemlines. I bounce back and forth between blunt and U. I know V makes me look like I have no hair.

I'd leave it alone, and then when the longest layer gets to waist (2-3 months?), trim an inch. Half an inch if you're chop-shy. Then keep microtrimming til you get a blunt hem at waist. Then decide what hemline you want long-term.

HTH!

Silken
July 13th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I'm the same as you when it comes to hemlines. I bounce back and forth between blunt and U. I know V makes me look like I have no hair.

I'd leave it alone, and then when the longest layer gets to waist (2-3 months?), trim an inch. Half an inch if you're chop-shy. Then keep microtrimming til you get a blunt hem at waist. Then decide what hemline you want long-term.

HTH!

Yes, I think thats the best approach. Thankfully I have a really supportive hairstylist, when I say an inch, she doesn't cut a millimeter above that!