PDA

View Full Version : Gibson tuck...without elastics?

lilliemer
July 13th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Hello updo advisers...
I want to try a gibson tuck but have sworn off hair elastics, they cause me tons of breakage (even the metal free kind). All the tutorials I've seen tell you to start with a ponytail but is there any way to make a base for this style without using an elastic hair tie? I've tried with a scrunchy but i think it is too bulky, it doesn't look right and often shows through the middle of the hairdo. any ideas??

Lady Neeva
July 13th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Spin pins?

ejking2
July 13th, 2012, 06:23 PM
You could try making gentle elastics by snipping off the cuff from nylon knee-highs.

afu
July 13th, 2012, 06:34 PM
you could try a modified version; what I do is I take the back section and roll the hair up from the bottom upwards (folding is less fiddly) then take the two side sections, twist and secure under the roll. This can be secured using a comb

akilina
July 13th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Lastnight, I toyed around with wrapping my hair around a hair fork from underneath and then sticking the fork in all of it and at the end I felt like it was a gibson tuck.
Idk though, I didn't actually LOOK at it but it felt right :)

Madora
July 13th, 2012, 08:39 PM
I've often wondered if I could do a Gibson Tuck and after reading the OP's query I decided to try this:

1) Detangle all hair
2) Gather hair in hand as if to ponytail
3) Use a Goody Ouchless barrette to ponytail the hair then move it down the tail a few inches
4) Roll up the remaining hair as evenly as you can ** (I had to braid mine loosely and then doubled up the braid)
5) Take the rolled up hair and stuff it under the "pocket" made by separating the hair above where the ponytail began
6) Use crimped hairpins to tack the "roll" so it it drawn up and over the barrette to hide it.

** maybe you could roll up the hair on a skinny foam curler (using only the foam part)

GoldberryHair
July 13th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Perhaps try tying it with a ribbon or soft yarn? I sometimes to that when I want to pull my hair back because it is a lot less "tense" and I don't get headaches.

FrannyG
July 13th, 2012, 09:31 PM
You could try making gentle elastics by snipping off the cuff from nylon knee-highs.

I think this would be a very hair-friendly way of doing it. the ponytail doesn't need to be tight for a Gibson Tuck, either.

I have a Gibson Tuck tutorial on YouTube, but you may find that this Southern Tease (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhKBhwJ80cA) hairstyle might work for you. It only requires a clip.

DragonLady
July 13th, 2012, 10:48 PM
I love that style! And I never use an elastic. I roll up the back section and hold it with my fork, then pull up the front, just wind it around the ends of the fork, and tuck in the ends of the hair. It holds for hours.

Not Lynn Merely
July 13th, 2012, 11:13 PM
If you use a ribbon, wrap it multiple times to get it to hold well. If the ribbon is just looped once and tied, it is more likely to slide out. I couldn't use a ribbon to tie off a braid for the longest time until I realized that.

Kaelee
July 13th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Lastnight, I toyed around with wrapping my hair around a hair fork from underneath and then sticking the fork in all of it and at the end I felt like it was a gibson tuck.
Idk though, I didn't actually LOOK at it but it felt right :)

I'm really interested in this style...can you do it again and take pictures? I'd love to see it!