PDA

View Full Version : Straightening oiled hair

afu
July 13th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Hello all, just a quick question...

I plan to straighten my hair with irons tomorrow (for a bit of a change/see length/for friends party) but as I've never straightened my hair since using oils (no heat since christmas), Will having oil on the hair cause damage when the oil heats up to such high temperatures? if so I guess I will have to clarify tomorrow.

I use sweet almond oil as a leave in and my conditioner contains jojoba.

I do have a heat protectant serum to use

Silken
July 13th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Hello all, just a quick question...

I plan to straighten my hair with irons tomorrow (for a bit of a change/see length/for friends party) but as I've never straightened my hair since using oils (no heat since christmas), Will having oil on the hair cause damage when the oil heats up to such high temperatures? if so I guess I will have to clarify tomorrow.

I use sweet almond oil as a leave in and my conditioner contains jojoba.

I do have a heat protectant serum to use

Honestly I don't know... but I imagine the oil would fry, and that cannot be a good thing.

BrightEyes
July 13th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I tend to stay away from oils whenever I heat style (blow dry or flat iron). Instead I use coney serums.

Maybe you could use your cone serum before straightening and then put a little oil on after to add shine.

akilina
July 13th, 2012, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't do it either D: Use something coney instead for this occasion.
Putting a dab of oil in it after sounds like a good idea though.

rosieposie
July 13th, 2012, 04:40 PM
I have only ever straightened my hair once after using oil. It looked terrible after heat was applied. All stringy and greasy, yet it was fine before I straightened it. For the record I used extra virgin olive oil.

Helix
July 13th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Yes m'aam. Same thing that happens in the frying pan will happen on your head if you leave the oil in :p

Clarifying is a great idea. Follow that with a good deep conditioning afterwards then apply your serum before you flat iron.

If you like applying oils you can apply a little after your hair has been flat ironed.

afu
July 13th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Thanks everyone, I thought that would be the answer but thought i'd check

Amber_Maiden
July 13th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Can't help but think it would fry the hair.

alwayssmiling
July 13th, 2012, 04:59 PM
I can only speak from my personal experience. I have a natural frizzy underneath section - HD tells me to keep this section well moisturised to stop damage, especially whilst heat straightening. So I started experimenting with oils (just a light oiling). Combing this with the heat from my GHD's I successfully removed a great chunk of hair - as though someone had come along with some blunt sissors and hacked to just that underneath section. I ended up with a chin bob. My HD was baffled by it - but I knew what had caused it :o I actually put oil on my hair whilst damp to stop me from being tempted to straighten it, because I know it will fry - a very good deterent!

afu
July 13th, 2012, 05:06 PM
I can only speak from my personal experience. I have a natural frizzy underneath section - HD tells me to keep this section well moisturised to stop damage, especially whilst heat straightening. So I started experimenting with oils (just a light oiling). Combing this with the heat from my GHD's I successfully removed a great chunk of hair - as though someone had come along with some blunt sissors and hacked to just that underneath section. I ended up with a chin bob. My HD was baffled by it - but I knew what had caused it :o I actually put oil on my hair whilst damp to stop me from being tempted to straighten it, because I know it will fry - a very good deterent!

Thanks for the experience, I'll be sure to clarify very well!

brave
July 13th, 2012, 05:46 PM
CurlyNikki on carrier oils (http://www.curlynikki.com/2012/01/curly-hair-oil-roundup.html) -- she says that grapeseed oil is a reliable heat protectant.

afu
July 14th, 2012, 04:00 AM
Thanks Brave, I've also noticed that the 'Naked' heat protectant spray contains jojoba and baobab oil and people have said that coconut oil can protect your hair from sun/heat damage so i'm a little confused but I'm going to play it on the safe side and grab the coney serum for the first time in a loooong time!

jacqueline101
July 14th, 2012, 06:45 AM
You will fry your hair.

hairstuck
July 22nd, 2012, 01:11 AM

Yikes!

What temperature setting was your GHD straightener on?

What type of oil did you have in it?

I've put oils and oil mixtures on my hair and straightened them on a low setting and never had a problem. I use heat protestant, and hair does seem to blow dry faster. Part of my hair has damage from when I used to color it.

hairstuck
July 22nd, 2012, 01:13 AM

Thanks Brave, I've also noticed that the 'Naked' heat protectant spray contains jojoba and baobab oil and people have said that coconut oil can protect your hair from sun/heat damage so i'm a little confused but I'm going to play it on the safe side and grab the coney serum for the first time in a loooong time!

Lower concentrations of coconut oil is said to protect hair from the sun.

Perhaps the percentage of oil is an important factor here?

Not that I suggest using oil and flat irons on your hair all the time...

tori93
July 22nd, 2012, 09:50 AM
well i have straightened my hair with oils in (coconut and argan) a couple of times and have never had any problems. I do have my straighteners on the lowest heat of 140 degrees centigrade, so that might be why it doesn't cause problems.