PDA

View Full Version : stretching?

kam.pearson
July 13th, 2012, 02:40 PM
So, I've been doing tons of moisture treatments and co washing my hair with really thick conditioners lately. I love it! Feels so pampering! I also use coconut oil from time to time to make my waves stick together better, but just on the ends. So far my hair feels ok, less soft though. I think this is just because I'm wearing it wavy, instead of blowdrying it all the time though. It has product in it so it feels a little rougher maybe?

Anyway, I've been concerned with over moisturizing my hair. I didn't know that was possible! :) I've read on different threads that over moisturization causes hair to be stretchy and break more easily? My question is how can I tell if my hair is stretching? Is there any way to know if you need protien or moisture besides just trial and error???

Thanks!

1nuitblanche
July 13th, 2012, 02:47 PM
If you take a shed hair and pull the ends in opposite directions, you'll see if it stretches or breaks right away.

caadam
July 13th, 2012, 02:49 PM
The reason (or one of the main reasons) why a lot of people think it can be bad to over-moisturize hair is because it can eventually lead to buildup. When buildup occurs, it can make hair feel dry, brittle, wiry, even plastic-like. Oil, cones, botanicals—all of these can cause buildup sooner or later for most people.

If you're wondering what your hair needs, whether it needs moisture or protein, the best way to find out by giving it a good clarifying. This way, you can see your hair... "naked," you could say. lol

Here's a good article on diagnosing what your hair needs: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44

Good clarifying shampoos tend to have the least amount of ingredients, or not too much to begin with. Not too many botanicals, and standard sulfates. Prell is a good clarifying shampoo, but you don't want to use too much. I find that taking a small dollop and diluting it in water does the job. Just shake and squeeze onto hair. But in this case of the article, you might want to use more. Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo is also good.

So there's an option. :D

Zesty
July 13th, 2012, 02:58 PM
From what I've read, you'll know if your hair is over-moisturized. It'll feel mushy when wet and be noticeably stretchy/gummy. That being said, this usually only happens to people if their hair's protein structure has been compromised by chemical processes like bleaching and relaxing. Normal, virgin hair doesn't get over-moisturized as easily. I don't think CO washing and some coconut oil (which is also supposed to help conserve protein in hair during washing) will lead to that. If you said you're using heavy DTs left on a loooong time, very often, you might have reason to maybe be concerned, but you sound like you're just fine. Hair needs moisture, and it's usually hard to give it too much.

If your hair feels rough you might have buildup, though, and need a clarifying. But over-moisturization is a completely different and relatively rare beast.

kam.pearson
July 13th, 2012, 03:29 PM
If you take a shed hair and pull the ends in opposite directions, you'll see if it stretches or breaks right away.

Ok, thanks! I thought that's what it was, but it seemed too easy lol.

The reason (or one of the main reasons) why a lot of people think it can be bad to over-moisturize hair is because it can eventually lead to buildup. When buildup occurs, it can make hair feel dry, brittle, wiry, even plastic-like. Oil, cones, botanicals—all of these can cause buildup sooner or later for most people.

If you're wondering what your hair needs, whether it needs moisture or protein, the best way to find out by giving it a good clarifying. This way, you can see your hair... "naked," you could say. lol

Here's a good article on diagnosing what your hair needs: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44

Good clarifying shampoos tend to have the least amount of ingredients, or not too much to begin with. Not too many botanicals, and standard sulfates. Prell is a good clarifying shampoo, but you don't want to use too much. I find that taking a small dollop and diluting it in water does the job. Just shake and squeeze onto hair. But in this case of the article, you might want to use more. Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo is also good.

So there's an option. :D

Thanks, I just did a good clarifying last week because I think my crazy conditioner was building up. It feels much better now. I used the neutrogena kind. Do you think it would be ok to just continue my routine and clarify every once in a while to get the gunk out???

From what I've read, you'll know if your hair is over-moisturized. It'll feel mushy when wet and be noticeably stretchy/gummy. That being said, this usually only happens to people if their hair's protein structure has been compromised by chemical processes like bleaching and relaxing. Normal, virgin hair doesn't get over-moisturized as easily. I don't think CO washing and some coconut oil (which is also supposed to help conserve protein in hair during washing) will lead to that. If you said you're using heavy DTs left on a loooong time, very often, you might have reason to maybe be concerned, but you sound like you're just fine. Hair needs moisture, and it's usually hard to give it too much.

If your hair feels rough you might have buildup, though, and need a clarifying. But over-moisturization is a completely different and relatively rare beast.

Thanks! This makes me feel better. I guess I'm just being a little paranoid lol. I've finally started to enjoy my hair and I don't want to mess it all up again by being a little over zealous! I'm not doing many DTs though so I think it will be ok.

I feel much better now! And I'm glad that I can keep doing my routine! I love how nice my hair smells all the time!

caadam
July 13th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Thanks, I just did a good clarifying last week because I think my crazy conditioner was building up. It feels much better now. I used the neutrogena kind. Do you think it would be ok to just continue my routine and clarify every once in a while to get the gunk out???

I don't see why not! That's what a lot of people do as it is. :) Have their regular routine and clarify when needed, that is.

I just think that what you need to watch out for is to not over-moisturize. If your hair likes moisture, then just give it what it needs and try not to overdo it. It can be easy to do too much of a good thing and then compromise the state of your hair. lol

kam.pearson
July 13th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I don't see why not! That's what a lot of people do as it is. :) Have their regular routine and clarify when needed, that is.

I just think that what you need to watch out for is to not over-moisturize. If your hair likes moisture, then just give it what it needs and try not to overdo it. It can be easy to do too much of a good thing and then compromise the state of your hair. lol

I think that's what I'm afraid of. Doing something that I think is good, and end up hurting my hair! I do think my hair likes moisture, I think I'm just paying more attention to it now and being paranoid. My hair is naturally somewhat wavy and I think that tends to make it on the dryer side as well.

If coconut oil helps maintain protien, that would mean that a shampoo and condish with coconut would help too, right? I have a set of the organix coconut kind and they smell heavenly! I only use the every once in a while though, as I'm trying co washing. Do you think that could help keep it balanced too? If I alternated what I used? Or maybe just use some of the condishioner?

Audrey Horne
July 13th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Mushy, can start losing waves, feels thinner, very stretchy, takes forever to dry, may not feel really clean even after washing. If you have it you'll notice. I usually attack it with protein.

That being said, this usually only happens to people if their hair's protein structure has been compromised by chemical processes like bleaching and relaxing. Normal, virgin hair doesn't get over-moisturized as easily. I don't think CO washing and some coconut oil (which is also supposed to help conserve protein in hair during washing) will lead to that. If you said you're using heavy DTs left on a loooong time, very often, you might have reason to maybe be concerned, but you sound like you're just fine. Hair needs moisture, and it's usually hard to give it too much.
Idk about others, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be many around with the same problem. Half of my hair is virgin, the lower half used to be hennaed. No chemical dyes, no relaxers. And I get overmoisturized easily :confused: Idk why exactly it happens. In general my hair is not porous and I wouldn't call it dry. Maybe only the last inch or so.

kam.pearson
July 13th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Mushy, can start losing waves, feels thinner, very stretchy, takes forever to dry, may not feel really clean even after washing. If you have it you'll notice. I usually attack it with protein.

Idk about others, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be many around with the same problem. Half of my hair is virgin, the lower half used to be hennaed. No chemical dyes, no relaxers. And I get overmoisturized easily :confused: Idk why exactly it happens. In general my hair is not porous and I wouldn't call it dry. Maybe only the last inch or so.

I can't imagine what mushy hair feels like...I guess if I had it, I would know. Mine still feels a little dry I think, especially the very ends. I tried to stretch a strand like another person suggested and it stretched a little bit before it broke, but I don't really know what to compare it to. It does take all night to dry but its pretty thick, its always taken a long time. When I was really young, I had tailbone legnth and it would stay braided almost always. I remember it would still be damp a day and a half later.

Audrey Horne
July 13th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I can't imagine what mushy hair feels like...I guess if I had it, I would know. Mine still feels a little dry I think, especially the very ends. I tried to stretch a strand like another person suggested and it stretched a little bit before it broke, but I don't really know what to compare it to. It does take all night to dry but its pretty thick, its always taken a long time. When I was really young, I had tailbone legnth and it would stay braided almost always. I remember it would still be damp a day and a half later.

You have medium hair, so I don't really know... I think if you can't relate to "mushy" you have nothing to be worried about :D To me personally it feels like algae, moss, something like that. Doesn't feel strong anymore, just meh.

kam.pearson
July 13th, 2012, 05:38 PM
You have medium hair, so I don't really know... I think if you can't relate to "mushy" you have nothing to be worried about :D To me personally it feels like algae, moss, something like that. Doesn't feel strong anymore, just meh.

Ok, I guess I was just being paranoid as I never really knew you could over moisturize. I thought more was better! At least I'll know what to keep an eye out for now!

Thanks for your help!