PDA

View Full Version : Deep treatment: how often is too often?

CAPA7
July 13th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I know there's a thread on DTs and most people seem to do it weekly. At first, I wanted to have a DT every third wash, simply because I was concerned weekly may be too much. I normally wash my hair 2 or 3 times a week. If my DT was, in effect, every other wash, do you think it would be too much? Do any of you do it at that rate?

Thanks! :)

Amber_Maiden
July 13th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Depends on you hair. If you have dry hair, I think as often as 3 times a week is fine. Oily hair? Maybe once a week or once a month. It's your call. All depends on how your hair is and how it reacts to deep treatments.

CAPA7
July 13th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the reply! I did a DT last week so I'll try doing one overnight today and see how my hair reacts once dry tomorrow!

Zesty
July 13th, 2012, 12:47 PM
It depends on your hair and probably also your climate. You'll just have to see. Just watch out if you're doing moisturizing treatments with no protein, in case your hair becomes mushy or overly stretchy, because that could mean over-moisturization. In that case, you'd need a protein treatment. That's probably the worst that could happen.

blondie9912
July 13th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Also whether your hair is colour-treated plays a big role. Colour treated (especially bleached or highlighted hair) is more porous and therefore can absorb DTs better, so you can DT a few times a week. Healthy, virgin hair that isn't heat styled often would probably only need a touch on the ends every two weeks/a month.

jojo
July 13th, 2012, 04:59 PM
I use a dc product after every wash but only leave on for 5 minutes or so and do a long dc once a week, my hair is on the greasy side of normal and it works out just well for me. I don't use normal conditioner no more, I use boots coconut deep comditioner.

DC left on for 5 minutes works the same way as a co wash for me, but better!

torrilin
July 13th, 2012, 06:56 PM
At 2b, you're a wavy. So your hair type defaults to somewhat porous. You can probably do quite a lot of moisturizing treatments with no ill effects, and you might find your waves clump better or are less frizzy.

Everyone else already gave you good cautions on what happens if you overdo it. I'll add that for most of us, it's fairly hard to overdo it. You'll see threads day in day out for months on end asking about "bad ends" or "why is my hair so dry?", but it's fairly rare for someone to have stretchy hair from excess moisture. If it does happen, often a single protein treatment will clear things up.

earthnut
July 13th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Wavy hair isn't necessarily porous, but more wavies are porous than straighties (? :P) If you want to determine your hair's porosity, see this page: http://scienceyhairblog.blogspot.com/2012/06/hair-porosity-how-to-measure-sort-of.html

I agree with the other posters, it depends. I've done short deep treatments every day before, with no ill effects. My hair tends to be porous. You just have to try and see what works for you. :)

CAPA7
July 14th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the replies!
Yes, I am a wavy indeed and I get a really bad case of frizz pretty much all the time, so I'm hoping DTs might help with that. I meant to do one last night but I didn't have a chance, I'll have to wait until the next wash day!

jojo
July 14th, 2012, 12:06 PM
I use a egg protein shampoo by Vatika , my hair too is wavy varying from a 2 a to a b depending on the weather, but I think I have found a happy balance by following my shampoo with a dc product. My hair feels wonderful, it's shiny and no split ends plus when I've done the test to see what it's lacking a strand pulls double it's length, doesn't snap and goes back to its original state. If my hair was over moisturised it would feel like wet moss, if it had too much protein it would feel dry and snap!

CAPA7
July 19th, 2012, 09:48 AM
I think I have found a happy balance by following my shampoo with a dc product.

Your routine seems to work great for you! Do you mean you DC every time you wash your hair?

vanillabones
July 19th, 2012, 10:04 AM
I deep condition my hair almost every wash as well. My hair gets greasy fast but the canopy can get dry (also have some bleach left on the ends of all my annoying layers). It works for me I just apply from ears to tips otherwise I'd be a grease ball. I always keep my conditioner in at least a few minutes. I also CWC and usually apply coconut oil before washing, too.