PDA

View Full Version : Now this is an updo you are unlikely to see on me much...

Alvrodul
July 13th, 2012, 09:40 AM
... even though it is both quick to do and comfortable. This because it really is intended for curly - or at least wavy hair, and mine is anything but that! But yesterday I had decided to try out for a picture for the Hairstyle of the Month, and do a Dutch braid with ribbons. It was an abject failure - the ribbons stubbornly stayed mostly hidden inside the plait. I ended up with incredible braidwaves today, though, and so I decided to see if the Aphrodite Knot (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_30u_7KOAo) would work on hair with braidwaves. I would say so! :D
I did cheat a tiny bit - I added a couple of hairpins just in case my slippery hair decided to do a Houdini maneuver and slip out of the knot. My hair has certainly stayed in place all day! :D
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m529/Alvrodul/Updos%202012/Aphroditeknot.jpg

morrigan*
July 13th, 2012, 09:47 AM
It looks nice :). Just watching video.

Silken
July 13th, 2012, 09:50 AM
I love it! It wouldn't work for my straight hair, but I love it anyway. :)

LaFlor
July 13th, 2012, 09:50 AM
wow, that would never stay in my hair... but it looks so easy in the video :D

sparrowswing
July 13th, 2012, 11:14 AM
That looks so cool! I want to try this when braid waves + humidity = gigantic frizzball. It gets so hard to work with - still slipping out of nearly all buns, and with too much a mind of its own to do anything complicated - and I usually end up just rebraiding it, for lack of alternatives. I'm sure I'd need pins to hold it, but it's definitely worth a shot.

auburntressed
July 13th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I like. I especially liked the historical commentary part - talking about/showing statues that depict the style. Though I wish they'd have shown the backs of heads of those statues instead of just the fronts.

heidi w.
July 13th, 2012, 11:29 AM
This is a video on historical updos based on a serious amount of research that Janet Stephens, a hairdresser, does. She has published a paper on hairpins and the use of sewing the hair, history of hairpins, and she's spoken at archeological conventions. She is currently working on some more videos, and is in process of completely her research. She is quite meticulous in her research, and quite detailed. I've spoken with her. She's a super nice lady, very informed, and essentially a kind of nonprofessional in a professional world. Many types of geologists, John Muir comes to mind were considered unprofessional and didn't know what they were talking about by their peers. But eventually such people have made headway into their fields. John Muir was eventually proved correct that glaciers carved Yosemite mountains and boulders, not a collapse of the valley floor as was originally thought. One can watch all of Janet Stephens videos. Just google or search in yahoo for Janet Stephens. I'm a big fan of her work.

heidi w.

heidi w.
July 13th, 2012, 11:31 AM
I like. I especially liked the historical commentary part - talking about/showing statues that depict the style. Though I wish they'd have shown the backs of heads of those statues instead of just the fronts.

That is Ms. Stephens chief complaint that a lot of statuary in museums is set up such that we can only see the front of the statue.

There is one video that does show the back of the statues head that I recall. There may be others, but I just can't recall. It's a picture in the context of the whole video. I have the name of that video on the tip of my tongue, but can't get it off my tongue. That's what getting older does...

heidi w.

afu
July 13th, 2012, 11:35 AM
I tried this today but didn't like the look of it on me the way she showed it, so I just kept knotting it over and over but so that it stayed in a bun shape rather than a chain (if that makes sense) and it turned out nice. I probably won't use it much as I prefer rock solid type updos and although curly my hair is still a bit too slippy for me to trust it staying in!

Kristen121
September 14th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Wow, I love that! I tried it with my hair and it looked really pretty, but didn't stay very well. Maybe for a special occasion I could curl my hair and use some product on it to get it to stay.

hermosamendoza
September 14th, 2012, 10:56 PM
wow, that would never stay in my hair... but it looks so easy in the video :D

mine either. but you know what worked for me? I used to do a similar look with a ouchless pony tale holder in my hair color shade and a topsy tale bu scunci. Do you remember that hair gadget, a stick with a loop?
You don't even really need the tool if you have enough hair.

You make a pony tale high up, stick a finger through the middle between the scalp and the pony tale holder and pull the pony tale up and through. then tighten to liking. or you can do the same thing and put the TT upside down so the loop is under the pony tale and put your hair in it and pull it up and tighten to desired hold.

Kristen121
September 15th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Okay, here's my version of it. I did it more on the crown vs the top of my head and used some hair sticks to help hold it. http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp323/kmp121/Hair/IMAG0636.jpg