PDA

View Full Version : Ozone pools and hair

lmfbs
July 12th, 2012, 09:14 PM
I just discovered one of the local swimming pools I go to uses ozone, not chlorine. I googled it, but can't find much info on how ozone affects hair. Does anyone have any idea? Is it as bad as chlorine?

Amygirl8
July 12th, 2012, 09:26 PM
I shouldn't think so. It's in most bottle waters, and that's safe to consume.
It doesn't appear to affect the pH levels of water, which I believe is something chlorine did. Also, being a natural substance, ozone only releases oxygen, whereas chlorine released hypochloric acid.

Also apparently, ozone can help hair if used as a drying tool, since it's oxygen combined with UV rays. I hope this helps :]

lmfbs
July 25th, 2012, 09:52 PM
I'm just reviving this thread to see if anyone knows anything more? Someone told me that ozone just converts to oxygen and water so wouldn't be worse than plain water?

earthnut
July 25th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Ozone only treats the water coming into the pool, and therefore is not effective against contaminants that are brought into the pool by swimmers. Therefore, another sanitizing agent is always used in conjunction to meet water quality standards. Usually this is chlorine, but at a lower level than chlorine-only pools.

So there is still probably chlorine in the pool. But you'd need much more exposure before you get much damage from it. Ozone doesn't damage the hair. It dissipates from the water within minutes (which is why it's not an effective sanitizer on its own).