PDA

View Full Version : Dabur Vatika coconut oil - changes hair color?

czech it out
July 12th, 2012, 08:30 PM
I want to start using DV coconut oil, but after reading some threads on LHC, I'm a little worried about trying it. Apparently the henna in it gives some people's hair a reddish tint. Has anyone experienced this?
I have medium dark brown hair - does anyone know if this will affect me/be noticeable?

bubblyredhead
July 12th, 2012, 11:51 PM
I bought a bottle before researching it and looked it up online and most people say it lightens hair. I hope someone that has used it can reply and help. So far it is just sitting on the shelf all sad and lonely.

IvanaGil
July 12th, 2012, 11:56 PM
I used it for a bit and didn't notice a major change. Although I do ACV rinses almost on a daily basis, which is also known to lighten hair, so :shrug:

AnqeIicDemise
July 13th, 2012, 12:45 AM
It gives a reddish tint to the hair. It isn't highly noticeable if you use it once or twice a week as a pre-wash treatment. I was using it for an overnight deep conditioning and did get a reddish tint. I for one don't mind. I like red hair.

Feel free to check out my albums to see the shade of hair I started off with as the one on my avatar has manic panic in it. So far the Vatika oil as overnight treatments have helped lengthen the redness of the MP.

The only reason it was more noticeable in my non MP hair is because I have a lot of red undertones in my hair. Like, I can't ever go blonde. Ever. It just comes out a brassy reddish caramel when I bleach. -nod-

palaeoqueen
July 13th, 2012, 05:11 AM
I used to use it once a week for a deep oiling and it gave my blonde hair a red tint. I stopped using it and the red has gone now.

Bambi
July 13th, 2012, 05:23 AM
I use it both as a pre-wash and overnight treatment and I also already have red tints in my hair naturally but I have noticed that my hair has lightened a tiny bit. My hair seems to love it as it is super soft:D!

afu
July 13th, 2012, 05:47 AM
I use it on bleached hair (most likely to grab colour) and it hasn't changed my colour in the slightest, i've been using it since march.

With regards to lightening, that is not something specific to vatika, most natural oils have the potential to lighten colour treated hair, but on natural colour it isn't likely to lighten (unless maybe you apply it heavily before spending a lot of time in strong sunlight, although I doubt there is enough lemon in there to do a lot)

czech it out
July 13th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Thank you everyone who replied! Doesn't sound as drastic as I thought, so I'm going to give it a go. :bluesmile

lilliemer
July 14th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I have very dark brown hair and have not noticed any color change even after very heavy oiling with the vatika oil. I was hoping it would stick to and maybe darken my grays a bit but no.

jojo
July 14th, 2012, 12:09 PM
My hairs quite blonde and I have never noticed any colour change, even after an over night heavy oiling but everybody's hair is different. I don't use ACV rinses though they do add a red cast as does using cones. I prefer either a white vinegar or citric acid ( the powder one) rinse.

akilina
July 14th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Hmm I love the stuff!! No darkening here. I gave a bottle to my friend with super light hair and it hasn't changed it at all and she uses it every day with many deep oil treatments.
I was more so concerned that the lemon would dry me out, but it hasnt :) I got used to the smell too. It isn't that bad.

Paranda Belle
July 14th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I've been using it consistantly for about a year and a half as a prewash (I wash every 1.5 weeks) and whenever my hair needs a boost. I have noticed a lighter brown tint to my hair, but only in sunlight and only at the ends where I use it the most. My natural colour is very dark brown/black.

Ideally I would like my hair to stay black, but it does such wonders for my hair that a tint in sunlight is worth it.

meteor
July 14th, 2012, 03:14 PM
First, no matter what your natural color is, if you have a bottle of Vatika Coconut Oil sitting around, definitely try it: it's really great for scalp health and hair conditioning. I think it's one of the best products in terms of healthy, natural ingredients.

Second, if you use it heavily and frequently (more than every fortnight), you might start noticing a red tint over time. If it bothers you, just stretch the use of the product. I have highlighted hair and I started noticing a slight red tint in the lightest parts, so I reduced the use to just weekly, on my scalp. The red tint is gone.

jojo
July 15th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Vatika oil is lovely, just wish they would package it better! I drop the bottle in my bath as its running to melt it but it's a pain as I sometimes lie, to oil the ends with it when I'm binning and don't have time to melt it! I wonder if it's more the dyed blondes which get a change in colour with it, I've never had a problem but then again I'm sure the op is a natural blonde? White vinegar or citric acid rinses should help though

blondenymph
October 2nd, 2017, 08:30 AM
I'm new here and also wondering that same thing. I am blonde and do not want my hair color to change because I love it as it is. If anyone knows how Vatika oils affect blondes, please tell me :)

lapushka
October 2nd, 2017, 11:16 AM
I used one bottle of it, completely. I never noticed anything on my darker ashy hair. :shrug:

I think blondes (lighter than darkblonde) might have to be careful. I would be careful with any product that has henna in it. Maybe collect a few sheds from past washes and detangling sessions, and use them to test the product on, for a number of applications. Then you'll know for sure!

Sarahlabyrinth
October 2nd, 2017, 01:36 PM
I have been using it for several years as a leave-in after washing and never had any problems with it. I love it!

Siv
October 3rd, 2017, 01:34 AM
I think the Almond Enriched hair oil has coconut oil in it but no henna, if you're concerned :) Though, I haven't tried it myself!