PDA

View Full Version : If your hair looks like this, is it time for a cut?

Rini
July 12th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I saw this on FB today. Go here (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151028570248430&set=a.10150197948463430.322774.195665793429&type=3&theater) to see the pic. It just shows how "out of touch" I am that I would love to have hair like any one of those women!!

I like the dresses too, but I can't see how this image would be effective for a hair salon advertisement.

Update: it seems that Facebook have removed the photo

Madora
July 12th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Not for me it doesn't! Our Heidi W is one of the ladies, and believe me, her hair is just as gorgeous in person!

My hat's off to those who can handle knee length and longer!

pepperminttea
July 12th, 2012, 07:22 PM
You might find this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91627) on the same photo illuminating. :)

Shame about the comments on FB, I just look at that photo and remain wowed by the amazing health of their hair at such impressive lengths. :thud:

Amygirl8
July 12th, 2012, 07:31 PM
The comments disgust me as well.
The hair would be gross if it was flat-ironed, splitty and dried as so much of today's population is used to.
The thing is- it's not. It's healthy and gorgeous. :)

Rini
July 12th, 2012, 07:35 PM
You might find this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91627) on the same photo illuminating. :)

Shame about the comments on FB, I just look at that photo and remain wowed by the amazing health of their hair at such impressive lengths. :thud:

Ah! I thought there MUST be a thread on this pic around here somewhere :) Thanks.

I thought it was interesting how a salon is using it in their advertising to show how hair is NOT supposed to look :rolleyes:

lmfbs
July 12th, 2012, 07:35 PM
I would be really disapointed if I owned the copyright of that image.

Miss Catrina
July 12th, 2012, 07:52 PM
It would make my month if the copyright holder sued these pr*cks.

Bunnysaur
July 12th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Yes, because long, well taken care of hair is gross. You know, we should all just leave LHC and get pixie cuts. :rolleyes:

Yeah, right.
I've seen that pic around here before, and I think it's fantastic. It's great motivation, that's for sure, and I'm only planning to go to waist!

battles
July 12th, 2012, 07:58 PM
I'm tempted to like the page just to comment, but I honestly don't have anything nice to say to them.

:(

Tia2010
July 12th, 2012, 08:06 PM
The comments on FB don't surprise me .. When they can't fit someone into their little box of 'social norms'...they attack ...whatever FB :p

I think the hair is amazing :D

Tia2010
July 12th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Not for me it doesn't! Our Heidi W is one of the ladies, and believe me, her hair is just as gorgeous in person!

My hat's off to those who can handle knee length and longer!

I didn't know one of them was Heidi W. That's really cool! *off to look again and figure out which one*

Shepherdess
July 12th, 2012, 08:16 PM
This makes me mad! How can they do that? :(

HumanBean
July 12th, 2012, 08:29 PM
I commented.

dulce
July 12th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I also commented!

spidermom
July 12th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Well you know what: when my hair gets too long for me personally to take care of and enjoy, then I will get it cut. Until then, I don't care about others' opinions, unless someone wants to tell me how awesome they think my hair is. Somehow, that opinion doesn't bother me. haha

jacqueline101
July 12th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Did Heidi W give permission for her picture to be used if not someone needs to tell her its illegal to use pictures without permission. I hate the comments they say about long hair.

justgreen
July 12th, 2012, 08:45 PM
I think Heidi is the one on the left sitting down.

lmfbs
July 12th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Did Heidi W give permission for her picture to be used if not someone needs to tell her its illegal to use pictures without permission. I hate the comments they say about long hair.

Permission needs to be sought from the copyright holder, not the subjects in the photos (unless, of course, they hold the copyright). Even if it is used, they can only be sued for damages and an injunction preventing further use.

Shepherdess
July 12th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I commented.

I also commented!

YAY :flower:

sun-kissed
July 12th, 2012, 09:14 PM
That is very nasty of the hair salon to post that.. it's should be obvious anyone that the hair is loved and has taken many years to grow out like that. To steal the picture and post it for such a reason is basically like racism(for lack of a better word) in my mind!

ETA: As always, though, it is nice to get to see such a lovely picture of our Heidi w. Every time I see it my appreciation grows for her regal beauty. :crush:

Rini
July 12th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Well you know what: when my hair gets too long for me personally to take care of and enjoy, then I will get it cut. Until then, I don't care about others' opinions, unless someone wants to tell me how awesome they think my hair is. Somehow, that opinion doesn't bother me. haha

Your hair IS awesome :inlove:

Great comments on the FB page girls, I "liked" them :)

evieisocoolike
July 12th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Also commented. Very rude.

evieisocoolike
July 12th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Does anyone know how old this picture is?

pepperminttea
July 12th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Would it be worth those of you with Facebook reporting the photo to them? You can't do it without an account.

It's from 2007 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91627). :)

Shepherdess
July 12th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Yay for all of the comments! :)

Jenw777
July 12th, 2012, 10:14 PM
I commented as well, and can pick out the LCH-ers...

gthlvrmx
July 12th, 2012, 10:17 PM
i commented, mine was a long one XD

Jenw777
July 12th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Amd a very well thought out one at that, I believe I'm below you.

Jesabel
July 12th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Love all the comments on their supporting those beautiful women and their hair and telling that Salon how it is! I can't believe a salon would ever do that, steal a picture and then insult those on it, for their business :(

Shepherdess
July 12th, 2012, 10:21 PM
I've been liking everyone's comments on FB :)

sun-kissed
July 12th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Way to go on the comments, ladies and gent! I bet they didn't see that coming. :p

Jesabel
July 12th, 2012, 10:28 PM
I've been liking everyone's comments on FB :)

Haha same :)

Rini
July 12th, 2012, 10:32 PM
I reported the photo. I don't actually know if they bought the rights to it, but maybe FB will check. Gosh if my photo of me breastfeeding my son can get taken down off FB, then surely this one will get looked at!

sun-kissed
July 12th, 2012, 10:35 PM
I reported the photo. I don't actually know if they bought the rights to it, but maybe FB will check. Gosh if my photo of me breastfeeding my son can get taken down off FB, then surely this one will get looked at!

Breastfeeding? Babies? You should have known better, Rini. :nono:

Rini
July 12th, 2012, 10:47 PM
I know....I'm a disgrace. Subjecting innocent FB members to such filth :shake: (I have the pic in my LHC album if you really want an eye-full!!)

I just commented too :)

Kyla
July 12th, 2012, 11:09 PM
I'm not surprised at the comments, even though I find some of them mildly creepy and idiotic. Like the ever mentioned "that much hair is gross!" ....how is it gross? It's not in your mouth or covered in mud or anything, get over it.

I was nice to see what I assumed were some LHC members commenting positively though! :)

11eleven
July 12th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Love all the positive comments on that picture! The women's hair in the picture are AMAZING and their dresses are gorgeous.

Artisticat
July 12th, 2012, 11:34 PM
As a "hairdresser"- they most of all - should appreciate and love hair!
A good many of them IMHO (sorry for generalizing here) seem hell bent of destroying or butchering the very thing they make their living off of. :rolleyes::confused::mad:

Bene
July 12th, 2012, 11:57 PM
I see the long hair mafia showed up en masse.

patienceneeded
July 13th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Beautiful hair, beautiful women! I commented on FB.

Macaroni
July 13th, 2012, 12:22 AM
I'm glad to see that quite a few commented on how the ladies take such good care and look so nice with their long hair, shame on that salon.

patienceneeded
July 13th, 2012, 12:23 AM

ROFL! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

ariesfairies
July 13th, 2012, 12:30 AM
A hair salon putting down healthy hair?
Looks like they know a lot :roll:

FrannyG
July 13th, 2012, 04:19 AM
Wow, beautiful women, including our HeidiW, and gorgeous hair. I can't imagine how anyone who cares about hair (and a salon should) would be able to use this image as impetus for people calling their salon.

I personally think it's quite cruel to use anyone's image as a fashion don't. I couldn't bring myself to read the comments. I know it would just upset me, because I know the love and dedication that these women have put into their beautiful locks.

Anyway, I love the photo. :inlove:

ETA: So, umm, yeah, I left a comment.

Trivial
July 13th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Liked all your comments and added one myself! =)

Silken
July 13th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Well, I just posted too. And boy did I go to town on them, lol...

Amber_Maiden
July 13th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Horrible caption! SO mean! :(

I think people who can handle long hair like that are awesome!

Cowgirl16
July 13th, 2012, 09:59 AM
I called the number and told them what I thought of their advertising.

Jenw777
July 13th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Really?! What did they say?

Cowgirl16
July 13th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Really?! What did they say?
They had the machine answer; I left a message :)

heidi w.
July 13th, 2012, 10:12 AM
That is abhorrent to me this use of the photo. I am quite sure the artist would like to know of the use of her copyrighted artwork. Some people just don't seem to know the laws of copyright.

And all the ladies in this photo would be somewhat if not very upset to discover this advertisement to cut one's hair, and the use of this photo as advertising. Although we did sign a model's waiver, this was understood that a positive use of our images would occur.

Pisses me off and makes me want to write the nastiest cease and decist letter and consider suing them.

Thank you, Rini, for pointing this out to me. I will make sure the artist is aware of this little treat.

What's wrong with people? I read about three of the comments and decided to close it because these people have no idea who we are.

Grrr!
heidi w.

MsBubbles
July 13th, 2012, 10:18 AM
This is reprehensible. I think I might call that # too, since I'm not on FB. It almost makes me want to create a FB acct now just to post a comment. How disgusting.

Jenw777
July 13th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Heidi, after the first 13 comments, the rest appear to all be LHCers and are dtelling the salon how callous they are and hinting at the illegality of it, and in total support of the long hairs. It still hurts to read such things, but the majority of them are all encouraging to you and the others in the picture, but calling out the salon.

gthlvrmx
July 13th, 2012, 10:29 AM
i dont understand, why cant you have a picture of you breast feeding? :confused:

auburntressed
July 13th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I "liked" several of the other LHCers comments.

And Heidi! I've seen this picture on the forum a few times and somehow missed that you were in it! If I'm guessing right on which lady you are, let me just say you are lovely and have lovely hair to match.

gthlvrmx
July 13th, 2012, 10:31 AM
:D XD thats hilarious

Demi-Plum
July 13th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Not gonna lie I saw it and wanted it >.>
my hair is fine and thin though so I think it would be easier for me to handle

heidi w.
July 13th, 2012, 10:54 AM
I would be really disapointed if I owned the copyright of that image.

I have now written to the representatives of Mika Rottenberg, and spoken in person to the galleries' manager.

heidi w.

I "liked" several of the other LHCers comments.

And Heidi! I've seen this picture on the forum a few times and somehow missed that you were in it! If I'm guessing right on which lady you are, let me just say you are lovely and have lovely hair to match.

Thank you. I'm the blonder chick seated in front.
heidi w.

Heidi, after the first 13 comments, the rest appear to all be LHCers and are dtelling the salon how callous they are and hinting at the illegality of it, and in total support of the long hairs. It still hurts to read such things, but the majority of them are all encouraging to you and the others in the picture, but calling out the salon.

I think the misappropriation of an artist's photo that might be copyrighted, although the photo is not so marked, is the worst offense, and taking it and using the photo for their own personal financial gain is the most offensive part.

heidi w.

They had the machine answer; I left a message :)

Someone's gonna have sore ears when they hear it. Super successful salon: not open on a Friday morning. Don't people have events to go to on the weekend?

But what do I know?

heidi w.

I believe it was taken back in the summer of 2007, I think. I'm bad at dates, though.
heidi w.

I commented as well, and can pick out the LCH-ers...

Most of the members are yahoo group members of FLHC2 (Floor Length Hair Club2 because this club began originally as simply FLHC way back when....) There's the fabulous Suzy (Lady Grace), there's Leona, and there's DYQ. There's me, and I can never remembered the dark haired lady's name seated in front next to me. She's a super nice girl, and has beautiful hair. I think she mentioned she might cut it around the time this art project was undertaken. I hope she never did. She had amazingly thick hair, as does Lady Grace. Well, actually they all do. The other standing tall blonde in the back is a friend of Leona's. She's more private than all of us, so I will not share her name.

heidi w.

Thank you everyone and Bedhead. I appreciate the defense of us ladies and also of the artist herself, Mike Rottenberg. I wish you all could have seen the art video installation of The Whitney's biennial. It was something that was truly creative, truly beautiful, and it was a whole lot of fun to make, even if it was super hot outdoors in the humid Florida summer climate. Us women who made it to the biennial were treated a bit like VIP, paparazzi photographing us. I'll never forget it. It was actually a swarm of people, a huge crowd that filled up the entrance area on the first floor of installations, people holding cameras above their heads. And then there was "Goat Man". Even his annoying display contributed to the whole. Funny dude. Not sure what he was up to, but he certainly fit the definition of different. LOL

heidi w.

Loviatar
July 13th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Heidi W: fantastic photo. I geeked out that you guys looked like the Sutherlands. When I read the other thread I was pleased with my geekery :)

I also commented.

I can't wait for the artist/gallery to get on this salon. Disgusting behaviour. Not just the 'long-hair-bashing' but the photo theft.

Amygirl8
July 13th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Loved all the comments posted by LHCers, didn't see anyone say anything negative after that =D
Hopefully the salon does get their punishment. I've always loved that photo ever since I first saw it on here, and the hair is positively amazing.

moon2dove
July 13th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Have just commented on FB and liked the nice comments, of course!

Can't believe the other awful comments, they made me so mad!!

Bedhead
July 13th, 2012, 11:31 AM
I commented too. This is yet another example of people trying to take something natural and tell us it's obscene, just to sell something. Thanks for bringing it to our attention Rini, it's important for us to stand up for one another.

That's some gorgeous hair you have there Heidi, no wonder someone wanted to create this photo for us all to admire it!

GlennaGirl
July 13th, 2012, 11:33 AM
I've seen this pic before and there certainly is some thud-worthy hair in it. No, of course it's not time to cut. :) Someone just thought that would be a clever tagline.

Fethenwen
July 13th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Ok, now angry comments dominate the comments section! This is so the right way to react against such disgusting saloon fashionistas who go on insulting beautiful hair like that.

GlennaGirl
July 13th, 2012, 11:37 AM
I believe it was taken back in the summer of 2007, I think. I'm bad at dates, though.
heidi w.

Just gorgeous, Heidi! :inlove:

Bedhead
July 13th, 2012, 11:47 AM
It sounds like a wonderful experience!

This is the link to copyright infringement on FB : https://www.facebook.com/legal/copyright.php

As far as what I could do, I reported it as "Hate speech".

DarkCurls
July 13th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Gods that pic is lovely. I am seriously thinking of revising my goal length. :p That is some gorgeous hair.

And I agree with everything that has been said, of course.

3azza
July 13th, 2012, 12:20 PM
I called the number and told them what I thought of their advertising.

:disco: great

Shepherdess
July 13th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Wow, it's great to see all of the comments from you LHCrs! I liked them all :)

Rain
July 13th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I saw this on FB today. Go here (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151028570248430&set=a.10150197948463430.322774.195665793429&type=3&theater) to see the pic. It just shows how "out of touch" I am that I would love to have hair like any one of those women!!

I like the dresses too, but I can't see how this image would be effective for a hair salon advertisement.

The page that posted it is in my hometown. I know exactly where it is without looking it up. My daughter's friend has had her artwork featured on their walls. Small world. Well, guess where I'm not going for my trims!

SerinaDaith
July 13th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I love the hair, I could see using the dresses as underdresses for my sca stuffs too so there, a lot of the comments I saw were about people saying the salon was creepy for wanting to cut these ladies hair and how healthy the longhairs hairs looked, granted that could be LHC folk striking back. I guess we all know now which salon to avoid like the plague that it is!

dwell_in_safety
July 13th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Loving the LHC comments! :D I will always adore the hair in that picture.

DuckyDot
July 13th, 2012, 02:03 PM
I love the hair! That salon sucks for being so stupid as to want to belittle people for having lovely hair! Woohoo! LHC revolution :D

DuckyDot
July 13th, 2012, 02:12 PM
They replied! The salon replied!

"Wow! We are thrilled that sharing this photo created a conversation on Facebook. The passion everyone shares about hair is incredible. We love our industry. Hope to see you soon- Brig P.S. Check out more from this AMAZING artist, Mika- http://bit.ly/NJdZnN"

Silken
July 13th, 2012, 02:30 PM
They replied! The salon replied!

"Wow! We are thrilled that sharing this photo created a conversation on Facebook. The passion everyone shares about hair is incredible. We love our industry. Hope to see you soon- Brig P.S. Check out more from this AMAZING artist, Mika- http://bit.ly/NJdZnN"

I figured I'd put them baxk in their place. :p

Jenw777
July 13th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Way to ignore the issue!

sun-kissed
July 13th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Not even a hint at an apology, in the very least....? :disgust:

Bedhead
July 13th, 2012, 02:58 PM
They had no idea who the artist was. A few post up, someone filled them in. But wow! Way t'a ignore the issue. I guess any attention is good attention to them.

leylusha
July 13th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Not even a fauxpology either! What is the world coming to...

DuckyDot
July 13th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Yeah! They didn't even pretend to feel sorry/apologize. Meh.

Micayla47
July 13th, 2012, 04:11 PM
all i have to say is yea :cheer: to miss heidi and the other ladies!!!!

sun-kissed
July 13th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I have to say, Squiggy, those comments of yours are impressive. :bigeyes:

Silken
July 13th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I have to say, Squiggy, those comments of yours are impressive. :bigeyes:

+1 :applause

Miss Catrina
July 13th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Their comment is the most pathetic cop-out I can remember seeing for a very long time.

Rini
July 13th, 2012, 07:06 PM
i dont understand, why cant you have a picture of you breast feeding? :confused:

I don't understand it either, but it was removed nonetheless.

Heidiw, I'm glad you know about this now, but not at all glad that it's happened. I've had my image used on hair advertisements before too (without my permission) but they've taken the image down when I called them on it and it was never a negative ad anyway. I can imagine how upset I'd be if my image were used not only illegally but also in such a negative way. I'm sorry :(

I am really disappointed at the salon's response. To those of you who live near this salon, would you be able to actually speak to a person there? I'd be really interested to hear their response when they are NOT able to ignore the issue.

I too reported it as "hate speech". Let's see what good that does.

Silken
July 13th, 2012, 07:14 PM
They switched to juvenile insults, AND pointed out LHC, so I figured it was okay to take the gloves off.

Rini
July 13th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Who the heck is that Francie Sorem??? What is her problem???? She's very rude and uneducated. I feel sorry for her :(

MsBubbles
July 13th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Who the heck is that Francie Sorem??? What is her problem???? She's very rude and uneducated. I feel sorry for her :(

Google. I thought she was about 13 from those comments, honestly. :rolleyes:

FrannyG
July 13th, 2012, 07:35 PM

I agree. I went and responded to her last post. I really ought to just have ignored it. At least I wasn't rude and disrespectful, I think (although part of me wanted to be).

Loviatar
July 13th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Rini, I think she must be the salon owner. (Although 'Brig' seems to be the chap named Joao, who seems to be a longhair too.)

Silken, I don't think Francie actually meant LHC itself. I think long hair club just happens to have the same initials. I think she'd have been a lot ruder if she actually knew of the real LHC. I think she was pulling some kind of Fight Club reference. I can't believe how juvenile she's being. Good grief.

Squiggy's posts were inspired. :)

Silken
July 13th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Google. I thought she was about 13 from those comments, honestly. :rolleyes:

I just did. :puke:

Silken
July 13th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Rini, I think she must be the salon owner. (Although 'Brig' seems to be the chap named Joao, who seems to be a longhair too.)

Silken, I don't think Francie actually meant LHC itself. I think long hair club just happens to have the same initials. I think she'd have been a lot ruder if she actually knew of the real LHC. I think she was pulling some kind of Fight Club reference. I can't believe how juvenile she's being. Good grief.

Ah, I see... Well, I stand by my reply, I had fun writing it, lol. :disco:

MsBubbles
July 13th, 2012, 07:41 PM

Brig is a female and is the owner of the salon in question and FB page. I took out her full name and salon name because I don't care to give her more publicity. No. We don't all want your make-unders thank you very much.

Carolyn
July 13th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Didn't you love how the LHC posse showed up and basically said "don't eff with one of us"? I wonder if the salon owners are saying "oh crap, why did we have to pick that photo"? :gabigrin:

Silken
July 13th, 2012, 07:45 PM
If you google her name, you will come up with a youtube link. I couldn't help laughing because she is obviously very passionate about her hair, especially its colour. I bet she would be extremely offended if some started criticizing her hair. I won't though, because I won't stoop to her level, but what did make me laugh was her hypocrisy: Somebody this passionate about her hair colour ought to be a lot more respectful of those who are passionate about their length. What a screaming idiot.

Loviatar
July 13th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Ah, sorry Ms Bubbles, thanks for the clarification. I read Joao's comment and thought he has signed it Brig. Now I understand.

I may have gone a bit mad.. epic long post Batman. :oops:

Silken
July 13th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Ah, sorry Ms Bubbles, thanks for the clarification. I read Joao's comment and thought he has signed it Brig. Now I understand.

I may have gone a bit mad.. epic long post Batman. :oops:

It was great. But I don't think she has the brain power to understand it or get your point.

Loviatar
July 13th, 2012, 07:59 PM
I may have added in some of your points. I hope you don't mind, I thought the bit about being passionate about her own hair was genius. I hope that might at least get through.

MsBubbles
July 13th, 2012, 08:00 PM

Apology not needed! I just did a little googling and was surprised at what I found. It's hugely disappointing that successful women (or those trying to be) have to yet again drag other women down to make themselves look better.

Silken
July 13th, 2012, 08:02 PM
I may have added in some of your points. I hope you don't mind, I thought the bit about being passionate about her own hair was genius. I hope that might at least get through.

Oh cool, go right ahead! :D

I mean seriously, she spends a lot of time and effort on her colour, she cares for it with special products to keep it from fading and drying out, her hair is as big a commitment as ours is and she makes fun of us?? What a jerk, lol. She totally did not think this one through.

FrannyG
July 13th, 2012, 08:03 PM

Brig is the salon owner, Francie is the owner of what seems to be an unrelated salon in the Bay Area of CA (a long way from the salon in question). Joao is a known young member here, who lives in Brazil. English is his second language. He was definitely agreeing with the rest of us, and his last sentence was meant to be sarcastic. He has a different username here, but I don't think it would be right for me take it upon myself to divulge it publicly.

I agree that the LHC reference was just as you described, and not a shot at TLHC, per se.

And yes, Squiggy was amazing. :)

Loviatar
July 13th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Joao is a known young member here, who lives in Brazil. English is his second language. He was definitely agreeing with the rest of us, and his last sentence was meant to be sarcastic. He has a different username here, but I don't think it would be right for me take it upon myself to divulge it publicly.

Whoops! Yes, I know now - I have just clicked on who you mean. His hair is fabulous :D

It's 3 am here. I should go to bed!

FrannyG
July 13th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Whoops! Yes, I know now - I have just clicked on who you mean. His hair is fabulous :D

It's 3 am here. I should go to bed!

Yes, his hair is indeed fabulous. Good night, Lovi dear. :sleep:

Bedhead
July 13th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I can't see the photo anymore, but the comments are still there. This makes me think the photo is still up, but they've blocked me from seeing it. Can anyone else here see it anymore?

Silken
July 13th, 2012, 10:02 PM
I can't see the photo anymore, but the comments are still there. This makes me think the photo is still up, but they've blocked me from seeing it. Can anyone else here see it anymore?

I see it, so it looks like you've been blocked. Consider yourself as "having arrived", they fear you!!! :D

maborosi
July 14th, 2012, 01:40 AM
I cannot see this ending well.

Oh well, that's what happens when you rip off someone's pics and use them to trash and bully others. Yuck.

~maborosi~

Rini
July 14th, 2012, 01:46 AM
I can still see it. I took a screenshot though just in case. I noticed how they are putting the photographer's name and a link in the photo description now. I don't know whether using the image in a commercial sense and acknowledging the author is going to cut it though (pardon the pun). I reckon you have to own the rights to use it commercially, so we'll see what happens there.

Gosh that Francie lady is obnoxious though. "a huge waste of time and energy" to insult us? LOL! And it wouldn't be about something "as silly as how people wear their hair"?? Isn't she a stylist??? There are so many levels of wrong in everything she writes. I really hope some of what people are pointing out to her gets through. It would be so sad if she lived the rest of her life in such ignorance :(

Of the Fae
July 14th, 2012, 03:31 AM
I like how many people are sticking up against this hateful fb post:) And getting most of the likes as well.
Perhaps most of them are LHC members, but hey, at least the world gets to hear a different sound: How long hair isn't gross, but beautiful :)

Bene
July 14th, 2012, 03:53 AM
]I like how many people are sticking up against this hateful fb post[/B]:) And getting most of the likes as well.
Perhaps most of them are LHC members, but hey, at least the world gets to hear a different sound: How long hair isn't gross, but beautiful :)

It reminds me of why people think everyone on this site is psycho. I mean, you have people in there going balls to the wall over HAIR. It's facebook. Arguing hair on facebook. I can't be the only one who sees how ridiculous that is.

If someone had gone in there like "My hair is that long, I don't feel I need a haircut" and left it alone, I'd be more sympathetic to the long hair cause (if you can call it a cause). But under the current circumstances, the outrage, it makes the rest of us who aren't so militant look a bit unstable.

Hey, Francie, if you're reading this: I don't hate you.

Rini
July 14th, 2012, 06:35 AM
It reminds me of why people think everyone on this site is psycho. I mean, you have people in there going balls to the wall over HAIR. It's facebook. Arguing hair on facebook. I can't be the only one who sees how ridiculous that is.

If someone had gone in there like "My hair is that long, I don't feel I need a haircut" and left it alone, I'd be more sympathetic to the long hair cause (if you can call it a cause). But under the current circumstances, the outrage, it makes the rest of us who aren't so militant look a bit unstable.

Really? People think everyone on this site is psycho? I didn't know that. :confused:

FrannyG
July 14th, 2012, 06:44 AM

I did post over there on Facebook, and I don't believe it was pointless. I think my points are valid, in that it's unkind to use a photo of real, living human beings in a derogatory manner, that invites mocking and for commercial use at that.

Also, I don't think that I wrote anything that sounds remotely "psycho", but perhaps you think differently.

Your suggested comment of "My hair is that long, I don't feel I need a haircut" is irrelevant. The point is all about the photograph. Period.

I don't hate anyone over there either; I do dislike the action of using the photo in the way that it's being used. There's a difference.

FrannyG
July 14th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Really? People think everyone on this site is psycho? I didn't know that. :confused:

It's news to me, Rini. :shrug:

Bene
July 14th, 2012, 07:34 AM

Yes, there are people who think people on this site are psycho. Don't know if you remember (or if you were around for) the "vaguely creepy" fiasco which sent the hair mafia en masse to argue with some nitwit blogger. And then the attempted copycat.

Not to mention the people here who disclose their hair activities wih friends and family which result in those people thinking the hair enthusiasts are a bit off.

I did post over there on Facebook, and I don't believe it was pointless. I think my points are valid, in that it's unkind to use a photo of real, living human beings in a derogatory manner, that invites mocking and for commercial use at that.

Also, I don't think that I wrote anything that sounds remotely "psycho", but perhaps you think differently.

Your suggested comment of "My hair is that long, I don't feel I need a haircut" is irrelevant. The point is all about the photograph. Period.

I don't hate anyone over there either; I do dislike the action of using the photo in the way that it's being used. There's a difference.

I'm not arguing about the photo stealing thing. I'm talking about the bits where people are arguing hair and why the popular opinion on long hair is blah blah blah. There's a difference. Also, getting heated on facebook IS ridiculous.

If you posted there, it was probably after I'd already noted that the hair peeps had invaded. When I checked again, I saw that the hair peeps were still swarming.
Fight the stolen photo all day long, it doesn't matter to me but I can see how other people are bothered by it and they have legitimate reason for it. The salon isn't claiming to have taken the pic, tons of people post images on facebook that they haven't taken. They may have not thought they were doing anything out of line. But the resulting hair fighting overshadows the stolen pic issue.

dulce
July 14th, 2012, 12:24 PM
For me,this all brings up the reasons why I walked away from salons a few years ago.The damage from all the salon dyes/chemicalsMy hair started to break off,the pressure and negativity by them to stay short and coloured[money maker for them] when I wanted to go long and silver .I realize NOT all salons or stylists are like this but a lot are.My apologies to any hair stylists on LHF,am sure you are not like this and if you lived near me I'd go to you.I haven't been back to the thread,it's useless ,I don't think they[that salon] will ever "get it".Am glad I am no longer a slave to salons,I don't miss my monthly age appropriate expensive dye,style ,short cut,blow out.I feel so free now and the money I save doesn't hurt either!That thread just reinforced to me that I was right to go my own way.If that labels me and others like me"pyscho" ,I'll take it.I feel bad because I feel so many women are being manipulated by the beauty industry,to wear the latest fashioneable hair do,to wear each season's newest colour fad /style clothes,all in the name of money. But many are happy to do this or it all wouldn't exist and some like me will get fed up eventually and refuse to be pawns in this silliness.At 60, I've seen many years of fashions come and go to realize how fleeting it all is. I don't hate them[ that salon]personally but I don't like how the beauty industry in general treats women and to make fun of some people's long hair choice just to make money will never be ok in my book.

dulce
July 14th, 2012, 12:44 PM
The sad thing is if they'd offered any sort of apology to say in any way that they hadn't intended to disparage some people's choice of long hair or to put a pic up that might imply long hair was old fashioned and something to be avoided ,they would never have gotten all those negative comments back . I found their comment about,come see us,glad to see all the passion etc. to be truly pointless.I haven't been back so maybe I'm misjudging them and they apologized later .

dulce
July 14th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I would love to live to see the day when all salons supported women's choices,whether short,inbetween or long ,and stylists were trained to look after both short and long hair and also curly hair but I don't think that will happen.A lot don't even know how to cut curly hair properly.They used to cut mine wet[so due to curl shrinkage I always ended up way too short after the cut] and with uneven hair.They cut huge chunks of curls together instead of each curl separately then would blow dry on hot then flat iron after.They cut my hair as if it was straight but it's curly.When I questioned all this at the time was told this is how it's done.Again I know NOT all stylists do this[some do know how to cut curlies and how to deal with long hair properly] but a lot don't those were the ones I had.If the curriculum at hair styling schools was amended to include more specifics on long hair and curly hair cut techniques,more stylists would be capable of dealing with these types of hair.

Unicorn
July 14th, 2012, 01:51 PM
@Bene "vaguely creepy" and "a bit off", are a very long way from psycho.

It's better that the words of long hair lovers, flood their FB page, than a bunch of negatives about long hair (or any personal choices for that matter). Besides, one of our members were being ridiculed essentially. It's wrong to oppose that? Or would a thread on the forum saying "poor Heidi" be the way to go?

Unicorn

cwarren
July 14th, 2012, 02:17 PM
I read the comments. You can't change people's opinions, even with facts. I support the members who stood up for growing long hair. State your opinion and walk away. If you need another way of thinking about it, think of it this way; don't argue with stupid people. If they think long hair is dirty or gross IN SPITE of the facts, then they are stupid.

And as far as the people who just prefer short hair, they are just as entitled to their opinion as we are :)

dulce
July 14th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Cwarren,well said,am glad so many wrote[including myself] in to state their displeasure, but sadly don't think it will do any good or change anything.

natural_shine
July 14th, 2012, 02:37 PM
You're all exagerating, the photo comment of that salon was stupid, but to want to bring down someone's business for this... ehm... a bit too much?... :luke:

dulce
July 14th, 2012, 03:47 PM
When I say it won't change anything I meant their mind set.The beauty industry as a whole in a lot of instances can be very narrow minded.Women do have options,they can go to salons or learn to do their own hair full time or part time[a novel idea for many] Salons serve a purpose for the more difficult salon styled styles etc but a lot of women never even think they could be capable of doing their own hair .Also if you are bucking the normal trend ,like I am at 60 ,with silvery hip length hair [not long here but by salon standards it is],salons are not welcoming unless I go with their short cut or short cut and dye/style options.They[ones around me anyway ] are not interested in helping me keep/look after my long hair.That pic posted showed the same lack of respect towards the option of having long hair that I've personally experinenced in my own life by a lot of salons. What is needed is more long hair salons but there are none anywhere near me.I would not like to see them lose their business and they won't ,as the majority nowadays like the salon dos .I am in the minority with my "fashion " with being older and longer than normal by society's standards hair .I would love to see more women realize they CAN look after their own hair,IF that's what they want to do, and that long hair is just as valid a style as any salon do.But that's not going to happen.There's just too much brainwashing by the powerful fashion industry,tv,movies etc.I had hoped they[salon] would do a real apology but I expected too much.That's why I agree with Cwarren,walk away.I had hoped all those comments showing/defending that there is nothing wrong with having very long healthy unprocessed hair and that it can be beautiful/stylish too in it's own way, would open some eyes but obviously not.It again confirms my suspicions that if you want to go against the tide of fashion ,unless you luck out and find a supportive stylist/salon[they're out there, but you have to really look around] you learn to do your own hair like I did. I wish things were different in the general attitude towards very long hair but I don't see it happening in my lifetime.Where I live APL is considered very long and most people[younger] have it around shoulders,layered,blown dried or flat ironed and highlighted and older ladies have very short hair.

lapushka
July 14th, 2012, 03:50 PM
You're all exagerating, the photo comment of that salon was stupid, but to want to bring down someone's business for this... ehm... a bit too much?... :luke:

I don't think that this is what this is about. It's about copyright infringement and about hurting a person who is a member here. If you are not allowed to stand up for that, what are you allowed to stand up for anymore!

vindo
July 14th, 2012, 04:44 PM
I think this turns most customers off, because noone really can relate.

A short fashioned haired woman will think "wtf" :disgust:

A long haired woman will think the same :lol:

Neither will go.

leslissocool
July 14th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Commented :D couldn't help myself, since there is no KNIT to abide by!

Honestly, I hope the page owner gets sued.

shutterpillar
July 14th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Has anyone who called the salon heard an actual reply from the owner?

I think this whole thing is just a mess.

Unicorn
July 14th, 2012, 06:47 PM
If it doesn't bother them enough to take the picture down, then clearly it isn't enough rather than being to much. They still have the option of taking it down and are choosing not to. Their choices their consequences, They are in full control of that.

Why is it ok to build ones business on ridiculing private individuals and infringing the copyright of others?

Unicorn

Quetiepi
July 14th, 2012, 08:11 PM
A couple of the ladies in the picture have two-tone hair. It looks like they used to color their hair and then quit. I am growing out the blond hair dye and I get an inch or so trimmed every few months, because I want my hair all the same color, waist length. I think their hair looks nice and very healthy. I've seen this photo before, but it was nice to see it again. Thanks for sharing!

Milui Elenath
July 14th, 2012, 09:31 PM

If it doesn't bother them enough to take the picture down, then clearly it isn't enough rather than being to much. They still have the option of taking it down and are choosing not to. Their choices their consequences, They are in full control of that.

Why is it ok to build ones business on ridiculing private individuals and infringing the copyright of others?

Unicorn

Unicorn absolutely!!! They have been informed that the image is copyrighted and yet they still haven't taken it down and replaced it with another image. They should have done that instantly especially as a business!

It's one thing for an individual to share a copyrighted pic but it is quite another for a commercial business to do so.

And natural_shine In regard to bringing their business down well that's business isn't it! If you don't deal with complaints respectfully and you don't protect your reputation by having integrity word gets around and your business looses customers. If they had apologised and removed the image as soon as they were made aware of their offensive behaviour and copyright infringement then people would have backed off and realised they'd made an honest but stupid mistake.

Silken
July 14th, 2012, 09:34 PM
I've been labeled a psycho my whole life for refusing to march to everyone else's beat. So if standing up for fellow long hair fans makes me, yet again, a psycho, I'll wear that badge with pride, shimmy my perky tits and bouncy ass all the way to the coconut oil store, lol.

Springlets
July 14th, 2012, 09:53 PM
A couple of the ladies in the picture have two-tone hair. It looks like they used to color their hair and then quit. I am growing out the blond hair dye and I get an inch or so trimmed every few months, because I want my hair all the same color, waist length. I think their hair looks nice and very healthy. I've seen this photo before, but it was nice to see it again. Thanks for sharing!

I noticed the two tone hair thing too. And the woman on the far right with light blonde hair looks to be bleaching or at least using Sun-In. Her bangs are much darker than the rest of her hair. I'm surprised they could get their hair so long with dyeing.

It's a really beautiful picture though. I don't want my hair that long, but I can sure admire it on others. :)

Lostsoule77
July 14th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I reported the picture too. I can't believe they left it up after they were informed it was copyrighted. Pretty stupid if you ask me. I'm glad Heidi informed the artist. They deserve some real punishiment for using a copyrighted picture without proper authorization!

I love all the comments by you guys, though I don't know who's who there. Suiggy's comments are certainly great!

MeganE
July 15th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Punishment? How many of us have copyrighted photos and images in our avatars, and in our albums?

I think there's an awful lot of personal attack going on in this thread. I had my own moment where I felt a bit embarrassed for us all.

woolyleprechaun
July 15th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Ugh. What a horrible salon! Instead of posting photos they have no right to use as an example of a 'fashion dont', why dont they post pictures of hairstyles they have created themselves? This is the worst advertising tactic I have ever seen.
Yay to all the LHCers posting on FB. I may add my own comments now, and 'like' all of yours ;)

Lostsoule77
July 15th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Punishment? How many of us have copyrighted photos and images in our avatars, and in our albums?

I think there's an awful lot of personal attack going on in this thread. I had my own moment where I felt a bit embarrassed for us all.

I don't want to argue, but I will expand on what I said. Yes punished, in whatever form is normally warranted for illegally using copyrighted materials. Just because some people on here use copyrighted photos doesn't make it right. I don't have any on my profile nor have I posted any that I am aware of. If I erroneously did and was then informed of it I would remove them. This salon used a photo they may not have know was copyrighted. Once they were informed they had to choice to remove it or continue to use it illegally. They chose to continue using it and they deserve to be properly punished for commiting a crime. It may be a minor crime, but illegal is illegal.

I'm also annoyed at how they were derogatorily using the photo and in no way was embarrassed for us sticking up for women who are very likely similar to us.

You have a right to think as you do and so do I. Since you called out my terminology I only thought it right that I clarify so you can see where I'm coming from. I tend to be pretty by the book with these kinds of things, just how I am. No hard feelings here and I hope I didn't offend you either. :blossom:

deltadeliquent
July 15th, 2012, 03:03 PM
For the record, I showed this photo to my 55 year old husband. It took him a nano second to honestly exclaim " beautiful!".

That is why I am growing my hair... Plus I need a project!

heidi w.
July 15th, 2012, 03:25 PM

FYI, every person in that photo, the hair color is their natural hair color. I know them all personally.

Two-tone hued hair can occur in an instant like mine where it's beginning to turn white/silver......Also hair underneath the canopy can often be darker than hair on the top. Very common. Natural colored hair is never one color.

heidi w.

MeganE
July 15th, 2012, 09:39 PM
I don't want to argue, but I will expand on what I said. Yes punished, in whatever form is normally warranted for illegally using copyrighted materials. Just because some people on here use copyrighted photos doesn't make it right. I don't have any on my profile nor have I posted any that I am aware of. If I erroneously did and was then informed of it I would remove them. This salon used a photo they may not have know was copyrighted. Once they were informed they had to choice to remove it or continue to use it illegally. They chose to continue using it and they deserve to be properly punished for commiting a crime. It may be a minor crime, but illegal is illegal.

I'm also annoyed at how they were derogatorily using the photo and in no way was embarrassed for us sticking up for women who are very likely similar to us.

You have a right to think as you do and so do I. Since you called out my terminology I only thought it right that I clarify so you can see where I'm coming from. I tend to be pretty by the book with these kinds of things, just how I am. No hard feelings here and I hope I didn't offend you either. :blossom:

Hey expanding is far from arguing, and the more careful words we use the more clearly we'll understand each other! I think I interpreted the term "punishment" more harshly than you meant to use it. :blossom: No offense taken whatsoever.

If I may expand a bit, I didn't mean to imply that it was made right, just that it's something that many of us do without a second thought, without any harm intended.

What the salon said honestly didn't strike me as offensive at all, if only because one must acknowledge that salons are a huge part of current American culture. Just as we have a right to do what we want with our hair, so does everyone else.

I didn't read their caption to mean, "If you hair looks like this, it's disgusting, it has to be cut!" I read it with the cultural implication, that when hair grows out of it's salon-groomed state, it's time to return to be salon-groomed again. I think this is all they meant by it, and even if it wasn't, I would still have given them the benefit of the doubt.

I would have much preferred to see positively phrased LHC replies that simply praise the hair, or a polite request to remove the photo, rather than the rude language, exclamation points, all caps, heaps of shame, and denigration of salons and salon-goers.

Why don't we use KNIT when we talk to people outside of the community?

But hey. Just my two cents.

LaceyNg
July 15th, 2012, 11:44 PM
it's a shame the photo is still up. i reported it as well. i dont think the right way to advertise ANYTHING is by saying something negative about someone :( ESPECIALLY when it involves stealing a copywritten image and not even owning up to your mistake!

Audrey Horne
July 16th, 2012, 04:35 AM
Stealing photo and offending people (because I think it was) - great ad, really way to go... NOT! I'm glad there were people in the comments who defended other people's choices. You might not like the look because everyone has different tastes in beauty but there's no excuse for being rude! :luke: That's what always gets me: don't like it just don't look at it! :rant:

Loviatar
July 16th, 2012, 07:55 AM
I would like to say that I feel I kept my comments KNIT and dignified.

Also, the generalisation of "you all are exaggerating" - I do not wish to bring down anyone's business, I would just like the salon to apologise and remove the photo which should have been used in a positive light but was used to promote their business by denigrating the looks of the women involved. That is all.

catamonica
July 16th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Their hair was beautiful! They just want women to cut their hair. Just a negative ad to promte their business Using someone's long hair photo as a negative thing.

Jenw777
July 17th, 2012, 08:45 PM
I see it's been removed. Or am I blocked now too?

Renbirde
July 18th, 2012, 12:49 AM
I can't see it anymore either.

ETA: At all, I should say. Just saw the tread, and when I wandered over to FB the link was defunct.

This content is currently unavailable
The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

sakuraemily
July 18th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Rini, you're incredibly pretty! if that is you in your display pic...

Rini
July 19th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Yes, I think it may have been taken down.

Sakuraemily, thanks :flowers: you're very kind!