PDA

View Full Version : what do you think about mullets?

yldchyld
August 3rd, 2008, 09:49 PM
Just curious. I live in the Land of Mullets.

Nat242
August 3rd, 2008, 10:00 PM
It's not a style I'd wear, but I don't really have an opinion on how other people wear their hair.

rubyredslippers
August 3rd, 2008, 10:02 PM
Mullets scare the bejeezus out of me :shocked::couch:.

I actually lived in Japan for a year, and ALL of my female classmates had the neo-mullet, (save like, three. And one of those had a bob). I was too scared to got to the hairdresser all year there because I was afraid that communication issues would cause me to wind up with one. That and people have no idea how to handle wurly hair there.

What's your take on 'em?

ETA: Mind you, if a friend or family member or a random stranger had one, I wouldn't give my opinion unless directly asked for my honest opinion. Different strokes for different folks.

yldchyld
August 3rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
I believe they have outlived their era. Like baggy jeans. I hate them actually... I think because when you see them here, the hair in the back is all fried and nasty. Or frizzy and uneven.

But, I reckon I am not the one wearing it...so it's one of those times I would say to my friends
"Is it wrong that I hate mullets?"

and then we would have a long discussion/debate on not judging people by their looks..etc.

nessthing
August 3rd, 2008, 10:26 PM
Mullets are like the worst of both worlds. Not only do you have a lot of inconvenient hair you either have to suffer through in the heat/braid or something and keep out of your way, but you don't really reap all the ingrained "OH MY GOD THAT PERSON HAS LONG PRETTY HAIR, THEY LOOK HEALTHY AND INTERESTING" reaction you get from people just liking your appearance.

D:

Lixie
August 3rd, 2008, 10:35 PM
Definitely not a style I'd choose for myself. I quite liked Bowie's mullet though. :D

Pegasus Marsters
August 3rd, 2008, 10:50 PM
Definitely not a style I'd choose for myself. I quite liked Bowie's mullet though. :D

David Bowie could wear a dead chicken on his head, a trout on each foot and a potato sack and still look good. ;)

I'm personally not a big mullet fan.

That said I saw a guy once with a curly uber mullet, looked like he still had his from the 80s... it was amazing!

Calanthe
August 3rd, 2008, 10:51 PM
I certainly would not wear it. And I wouldn't be too happe if DH decided to wear his hair like that...;). As for other people - if they are happy with it, let them wear it.

HappyEeyore
August 3rd, 2008, 11:04 PM
I personally think mullets have gotten a bad rap. While certain types just look bad imo - especially when the back is super long and the front is very short - sterotypical 'rocker' or hillbilly mullet, I guess?

However, there were many mullets I really liked on certain people (before they were called mullets - hee hee, am I revealing my age?) like those worn by John Taylor of Duran Duran, Bono from U2, and others I can't think of right now.

I suppose I had one myself once, when they were popular for girls for a short while around 1985 I think? Many girls were very cute with them, though I much prefer long hair now.

Ndnlady
August 4th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Business in the front and party in the back?! Whoooo hooo!:laugh:
No on the serious side, IMO mullets are just not right somehow. When billy ray cyrus had one it was cool though!:):p

RavennaNight
August 4th, 2008, 01:05 AM
I think they are comedy. I like mullets. If it makes you smile and have a good laugh, it can't be bad. There used to be a website years ago that identified different types of mullets and the humor behind them. MULLETS ROCK! :rockerdud:

Oh its still around: http://www.mulletsgalore.com

Bene
August 4th, 2008, 01:13 AM
don't care for mullets AT ALL!!!

and yes it's wrong for me to judge ppl based on their appearance, but mullets are a personal choice, and i don't think highly of the sorts of people who would do that to themselves....

bte
August 4th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Mullets are a bit of an 'in your face' style, so tend to attract extreme reactions. I've seen some people who look quite good with them, others who don't. The best thing about them is that at least some of the hair is long, but my reaction is always, "why not grow all of it?".

goldenwaves
August 4th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Don't like them at all, no offence to anyone who does.

Riot Crrl
August 4th, 2008, 01:28 AM
I totally had one in 1984. Yes, Duran Duran was an influence.

DecafJane
August 4th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Yldchyld, I thought that I lived in the land of mullets! Can it be that there is more than one of these mythical magical places?? :D

I think they are comedy. I like mullets. If it makes you smile and have a good laugh, it can't be bad. There used to be a website years ago that identified different types of mullets and the humor behind them. MULLETS ROCK! :rockerdud:

Hey, that's my attitude, too! :D
I think they are beautiful, in the same way that somebody walking down the street in full emo garb or in hand stitched leather pants is beautiful - they have clearly TRIED VERY HARD to look the way they look, and it is very unique, and makes my day a whole lot brighter. Hey, if they are happy, why not. :)
I really am not a fan of the neo-mullet - when I see somebody with one, I look at their longest layers and think, "Hey, your hair used to be all the one length, and now if you want it back, you are going to have to wait a long, long time." But as long as they are happy. *shrugs*

Kayleena
August 4th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Hi, everyone! :) Actually, I think mullets look great on many guys. I’m into contemporary Christian music, & I liked the way the hairstyle looked on Michael W. Smith, Steven Curtis Chapman, & Mark Lowry when they were wearing them in the late 80’s, early-to-mid-90’s. I guess I don’t know what the neo-mullet looks like; is that the newest version? Are they making a comeback? I'm not up on these things. Happy hairstyling! – **Lady Kayleena Victoria of the Performance Stage in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights**

NurseMama
August 4th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Is it terrible that they remind me of my rocker chick days and the crushes of my youth on heavy metal band members?

Business in front, rock n' roll in the back. :D

anna1850
August 4th, 2008, 02:32 AM
I don't like mullets at all. If there was any hairstyle I'd never ever have, it would be a mullet.

But to each their own and I'm sure there are lots of people who hate long hair and stuff so I'm not going to tell anyone what to do with their hair.

Nat242
August 4th, 2008, 03:03 AM

and yes it's wrong for me to judge ppl based on their appearance, but mullets are a personal choice, and i don't think highly of the sorts of people who would do that to themselves....

Wow...that's a bit harsh. Lots of people on this website have had that attitude expressed towards themselves about their long hair, and are (rightly) upset by people thinking negatively about a person for the sole reason of how they wear their hair, how they dress, or because of their piercings or tattoos.

Amoretti
August 4th, 2008, 05:18 AM
I don't like them but they amuse me. LOL. To each their own.
You should check out this website; it's a good laugh:

www.mulletjunky.com

:D

spidermom
August 4th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I rocked a mullet back in the 80s. It was called a bi-level then. No complaints here; there are styles that I dislike a lot more.

Julesn
August 4th, 2008, 08:00 AM
I think hockey players are the only ones who can sport a mullet & look hot ;)

However, when I was growing my hair out from a pixie, it is inevitable that you're going to get the mullet look b/c of the way the hair grows out. That being said, I chose to cut the back off & into a stack when the sides got long enough. But, hey, what do I know? Some people like it & that's their choice & totally fine :)

Julie

Melian
August 4th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I think most mullets (90%) are very ugly. But Bowie, Bono, Adrian Smith (http://ironmaiden.webvis.net/images/The-Band/Smith/Smith1.jpg) can wear this style anytime they want! :)

TyagoN
August 4th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Mullets are just...well...they're...

...they're just beyond words. Yikes.

RavennaNight
August 4th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I encourage the watching of the movie "Joe Dirt." Its about a man and his mullet.
:cheese::D:cheese::p

Kiraela
August 4th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I think mullets are just plain odd. I mean, I don't judge anyone for their hair - That would be rediculous. I just think the hair looks silly. Kinda like a lot of the hairstyles teenagers wear these days. I'm not going to think, 'oh what a trashy person' for their hair, but I will think 'hee. that looks silly!' Know what I'm saying?

Katze
August 4th, 2008, 10:25 AM
they're silly, unattractive, and food for conversation!

I often wonder about the friends and loved ones of people who have mullets. Don't they ever say, 'Hey, Uncle Ed, you know, you might get more action if you CUT THE MULLET?!?' :D

LadyMoon11
August 4th, 2008, 10:32 AM
To each his/her own. There are many hairstyles I do not personally like at all, but, hey, if that's what you like and how you feel comfortable, then so be it. I am sure there are people who think my long hair is dumb/gross/lazy/silly... whatever. I don't give a %^&#! :D :poot:

That being said, I think mullets are funny. I don't hate them, because I get far to much amusement from them to hate the. :lol: I love to use the names "Ape Drape" and "Squirrel Pelt" when referring to mullets.

My DH and I have a mutual friend who not only has a mullet, but he meticulously maintains his mullet and takes serious pride in it. He has the Achey-Breaky Heart guy style mullet. We, of course, give him some flack. We tell him that he has a serious fear of commitment since he cannot commit to either having long hair or short hair. We also think he sould buy an El Camino to go with his mullet, so he also has a half-car half-truck to go with his half-hair. He just gives us heck back. I cannot actually imagine this particular person with any other hairstyle! :D

Unofficial_Rose
August 4th, 2008, 10:40 AM

Ahem! Not always. I had the most FRIGHTFUL mullet visited upon me on agreeing to the hairdresser offering to "shape it around my face" :(. Everyone at work took the p*ss and I had to have it cut into a very short bob to bring the back level with the front. So glad for Feye's self-trimming method ;)

Bene
August 4th, 2008, 11:06 AM
nat242 - i think maybe you've mistaken "judging someone based on their appearance" with "treating someone differently based on their appearance"

so in terms of "expressing an attitude towards" someone because of their mullet, i don't.

here, in the states (i emphasize this point because your thingy says you're in australia) a mullet, for the most part is a very regional thing. and for those of us who don't live in those regions, we see some sorts of behaviors associated a region of this country where mullets are more commonplace. this behavior is alcoholism, domestic abuse, low levels of education, trailer parks, an over abundance of children, and the proud display of the confederate flag (which has it's own negative connotations)

so while, my OPINION of mullets is jaded by a bad history of the sorts of ppl who have them, i don't TREAT them any different than anyone else.

i see the comparison to how ppl who have had negative attitudes expressed towards them based on their hair, dress, piercings or tattoos, as a little bit flawed. i have had ppl make pretty disgusting statements because of my piercings and tattoos, however the between my IDEAS and other ppl's ACTS is that i've said anything nasty to a person with mullet, nor have i come up to them and told them what i think about ppl with mullets.

camara
August 4th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Warning: very long post to follow

:couch: When I was thirteen years old, I sported a big mullet. At that time, I liked the style, especially as I had much straighter hair then, and it didnīt need much styling, since my hair is standing straight up from my head until it is two inches long. I wouldnīt turn back to that style nowadays, however...

On other people, it depends. There are some people who can rock a mullet. I believe it has to do with a whole set of...things you are doing to your outer appearance. A mullet can be really striking if it suits the person wearing it and if it is accessorized just right.

I donīt know how it is elsewhere, but in Germany (that is to say, the areas where I have lived so far), there was a fashion trend about three to five years ago that made women wear a special kind of mullet. The back was long and layered, the top was styled to be spiky, and most important, the nape area was dyed black while the top was bleached to death. (Think bright white cotton candy.)
I secretly referred to the style as 'dead skunk', until I once saw it on a poster hanging on a salon wall. The blonde and dark shades there were subtle instead of black/white, and it was cut and styled to look like layers of bird feathers, anyway it was really, really pretty. I had to step back from my 'dead skunk' prejudice, maybe itīs just that there are many hairdresser who donīt know what they are doing?

Siava
August 4th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I think a mullet can be versatile. On the right person, it can be downright kinda sexy. On the wrong person, it's downright kinda pitiful.

SHELIAANN1969
August 4th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Billy Ray Cyress ROCKED his mullett, his hair looks like total crap now though, it's all dyed and straightened, it looked better before.

Hairstyles also depend on the persons facial structure, and/or hairtype, and/or attitude!

I think some folks can rock em, and some can't, I am not completely against any kind of a hair do, I say if you like it, or if it looks good, even if it only looks good to oneself, go for it.

(and ROFL@ Pegs and the trout comment!!!)

RustedAngel
August 4th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I pretty much abhor them. Somehow though Bowie managed to pull one off.....darn you Bowie and your infinite sexiness!!!!

willowcandra
August 4th, 2008, 11:53 AM

Oh its still around: http://www.mulletsgalore.com

I was just thinking hang on I loved achy breaky heart and billy ray cirus' hair so mullets can't be that bad. Then I clicked on your link and oh boy the classification page had me in stitches....some of it is very very wrong but I couldn't stop laughing. I loved the buiseness man mullet. Buisness up front and party in back lol.

Eta the only hair that every got me really perplexed guy on bottom right a fringe that starts at the crown?....http://vinylrecords.ch/S/SL/Slade/Old/slade-borrowed-80thumb.jpg

willowcandra
August 4th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I pretty much abhor them. Somehow though Bowie managed to pull one off.....darn you Bowie and your infinite sexiness!!!!

Lol I so know what you mean........*is now daydreaming about the labrynth.*

wintersun99
August 4th, 2008, 12:09 PM
They are a fad that should have disappeared with the '80's :)

Eireann
August 4th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I just watched a movie last night that was made in the 80s, and mullets abounded. I just don't think they're especially flattering, at least not the way they used to wear them back then (super permed and poofed up in front like a giant mushroom on your head). Thankfully, I never went down that road. (I did have the asymetrical bob, though.) Actually, seeing the 80s hairstyles as they really were (not the neo-80s looks of today), I felt less regretful of all my various pixie cuts during that period. Considering teh alternatives, I think a pixie cut was a pretty dignified way to go! I never could go in for the perm hairspray routine, even back then.

Speedbump
August 4th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I think they are amusing. :D

FrannyG
August 4th, 2008, 01:48 PM
My opinion is definitely made on a case by case basis. :agree:

Laululintu
August 4th, 2008, 02:04 PM
When my mum briefly had a mullet, I couldn't look at her for about an hour when I first saw it without giggling like mad. Much to my shame, I should add.

If it had been someone I didn't know as well, I would have kept my mouth shut. In general, they're not my favourite look, but people can do whatever they want with their hair.

lora410
August 4th, 2008, 02:29 PM

I live in FL as well, and see more long hair then anything. I don't think I have even run into a mullet in my part of FL :shrug:

bgarrison
August 4th, 2008, 02:39 PM
ewwww..........me no likee, but to each his own...............

I'm very fond of live and let live, but would have a real hard time dating ( being attracted) to someone with that hairstyle. For some reason it's a huge turn off. Like polyester leisure suits and that car that's half a truck. Of all the possible options, it just seems other choices could be made....maybe if he were real real smart and real real nice and was open to a tiny little hair cut?

I feel so shallow.:p

Finoriel
August 4th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I like mullets :gabigrin: quite nice fishes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mullet_%28fish%29).

Hmm searching wikipedia for the land of mullet :wacko:. Is it maybe near Mullet Creek (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mullet_Creek) or more close to Mullet River (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mullet_River)?

inertia
August 4th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I have a Japanese neo-mullet. The shortest layers are about shoulder-length and the bottom is just below my waist. I had the cut done 5 months ago because my layers had gotten below BSL and it had become impossible to do any modern styles. In Japan, it's fashionable to have some volume at the crown for loose styles, and updos are better with pieces sticking out so they don't look too fussy. Also, I have a LOT of hair and it's just more comfortable and easier to manage when it's thinned.

In Japan, I think many people regard mullets vs. one-length in the opposite way that it's seen in North America. One-length hair was popular here in the '80s and '90s, so a non-layered style can easily come off as looking like you haven't changed your haircut in 15 years.

girlcat36
August 4th, 2008, 05:00 PM
My opinion is definitely made on a case by case basis. :agree:

Hee Hee! Good answer!

Xandergrammy
August 4th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Well, I think I'm another one who think mullets have gotten a bad rap. Back in the late 80's/early 90's, when I still had short hair, there was this woman who worked at Walmart who I thought had amazing hair. Very short in the front but a tailbone length braid in the back. I thought it was bee-yoo-ti-full! :crush:

Indigo Girl
August 4th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Not a mullet fan, though I find them amusing too.

I don't like them but they amuse me. LOL. To each their own.
You should check out this website; it's a good laugh:

www.mulletjunky.com (http://www.mulletjunky.com)

Amoretti, that's a funny site!

CurlyNinja
August 4th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Mullets are awesome. Awesome bad though, not awesome good. However sometimes they're just so awesome bad they're awesome awesome.

psvzum
August 4th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Blech, blech, blech. blech That's just my thought as I've never seen anyone wear a mullet that was complementary.

MissFrenchTwist
August 4th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Mullets? They make good bait for salt-water fishing, don't they?

crystal_89
August 4th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Get ready for an epic on my mullet :D

I am another longhair sporting a neo-mullet. I never used to like them until my best friend (with no prior experience) chopped it into my hair for a change back in May. She sectioned my hair into two, with the top section slightly thicker than the bottom, and chopped it back to just below my ears with an upside-down U style from the back. She left the bottom layer long down to my waist. The short layer is now mid-neck but I still like the style. Looks a bit funny when I put my hair in a ponytail though... ^^

The feedback on it was all good from my friends (all in their teens and twenties and most of them Asian, Half-asian, or with Asian influnces) while my siblings and their spouses (in their 30's) just laughed at me and my fashion.

Nowadays, I do notice neo-mullets more and like them on some people, especially darker hair. But I could be a bit biased :P

ladyshannonanne
September 27th, 2008, 04:45 PM
You know, this is a tough topic for me. I really, really don't like mullets. But what else are we to call Mel Gibson's haircut in Braveheart? And he's pretty hot!

Aelith
September 27th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I have fond, fond memories of the mullet. I grew up in a rather rural town in NYS where the mullet actually remains the height of sophisticated hairstyles, and have dated several men with killer mullets. Do I want my hubby to grow a mullet now? No. Well, no, no, never mind, definitely not.

But it does bring me back to the days of early Metallica, my ex's Monte Carlo, hmmmmm....

:o

:p

ole gray mare
September 27th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I am fascinated by mullets. I think it actually takes rather thick hair to have them, so I admire them from that perspective. I could never pull one off, because my hair is simply not thick enough.

On a broader and more philosophical front: the nice thing about variety in life, in hairstyles, in clothes, self-adornment, make-up, piercings, etc...is that I get to live vicariously through other people. I really appreciate that other people do more aesthetically outrageous things than I do...I am the beneficiary of their risk-taking because I get to SEE them. If I did all those manner of things to myself, it would be wasted because I don't really spend much time looking at myself.

manderly
September 27th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Mullets are frightening........

Anywho, there seems to be a kind of weird modified mullet that prevails here in Hawaii on some women. It's like a super short mullet on the top and front which they then style like crazy with bangs and foof and the back just hangs there. I suspect it was a style they were talked into at some point to help with their "difficult" polynesian hair and they stuck with it through the years because they didn't know what else to do.

We also have the lovely rat-tail that refuses to die. Another modified mullet, but instead of letting all the back hang long, it's cut down until it's just a small strip of hair (rat tail). Blegh.

Silver & Gold
September 27th, 2008, 06:25 PM
OK, I don't know why I'm so sophomoric but I love this song by Wesley Willis:

"Cut the Mullet" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_RXZ_sRKE0)
There are some silly, silly looking mullets out there but if the people wearing 'em are happy . . . then what do I care? And although I wouldn't be interested in sporting one I have to admit I've seen some jaw-dropping :agape: mullets in my day.

Bronwyn Grace
September 27th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I just don't really like mullets... :/ I think it stems from the fact that one of the meanest teachers I've ever met (she actually left a bruise on my arm from grabbing me once when I was trying to leave to go throw up... ugh, I was so sick... oops, tangent) had one... and it was NOT flattering on her at all.

But I wouldn't judge someone with a mullet or anything. That's their choice. -shrug-

Growin' It
September 27th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I think 'problem exists between sporter of mullet and viewer'. Somehow most think that they look :eyebrows: but really it's more like :run:.

In a word: no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

:nono:

angelthadiva
September 27th, 2008, 09:48 PM
1989 is calling and they want their hair back! :lol:

ladyshannonanne
September 27th, 2008, 10:26 PM
David Bowie could wear a dead chicken on his head, a trout on each foot and a potato sack and still look good. ;)
I almost choked on my cereal when I read this, I was laughing so hard. So true, so true. David Bowie is amazingly good looking. Although I have to say, I'm not particularly attracted to him (as far as celebrities, I'd have to go more along the Harrison Ford, Clive Owen, Paul Newman ::sniff:: route) you have to admit that the man is gorgeous.

Toadstool
September 28th, 2008, 05:52 AM
I love the neo mullet, if that's the one where thye top layers are a lot longer than in the eighties. I think it works best on thick straight hair though - maybe that's why it's so popular in Japan?. A lot of teenagers here have it two toned and it looks really cool but I fear I am too old for one, plus my hair is too wavy and i really couldn't be bothered with all that straightening, styling etc.

Mebo
September 28th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I like 'em deep fried, with hush puppies and coleslaw......

and a cheese chaser.

;p

1nuitblanche
September 28th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Mullets can look good. It depends on the person, their hair, their style, the statement they're going for... Sometimes they aren't so hot. But hey, this is subjective.

My favourite mullet sighting was a few years back. I was in another country, where mullets happened to be more popular than they are in Canada, and then I saw a tourist bus from a third country where all of the forty-odd passengers were wearing mullets! I couldn't believe my eyes.

happymommy
September 28th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I hail from a place where not only do the men still have mullets, but they also feather the fringe/bangs back from their center part and perm the length.

Then again, so do the women. While I would never say anything out loud since I am related to most of these people (it is a really really small town) inwardly I'm happy I don't have to be seen in public with them on a regular basis.

We had a girl in high school who had the most fantastic mullet. Somehow she managed to make it stand literally 3 inches straight off her face in every direction. She bore a striking resemblence to those dinosaurs in Jurassic park with the fringy thingys.

No matter how much hairspray I used I never managed it. I was so jealous, lol!

Lisa-Maria
September 30th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Ohh, I so like mullets!! On others that is. Makes me look so much prettier in comparison ;)

MsHelena
September 30th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I'm not a fan of the mullet, at all.

rhubarbarin
September 30th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I LOATHE them. And they're everywhere.. on celebrities, 'scene kids', and most Asian girls I know, not just the sterotypical small-town white people.

I just think they are extremely unflattering to the face. It alters the whole shape of the head to have it short in the front and longer in the back.

Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpoNznECtX4) a good song about mullets.

FrannyG
September 30th, 2008, 02:45 PM
My favourite mullet sighting was a few years back. I was in another country, where mullets happened to be more popular than they are in Canada, and then I saw a tourist bus from a third country where all of the forty-odd passengers were wearing mullets! I couldn't believe my eyes.

I love this story!!! :crush:

Yes, here in Canada, we have only the mildest form of mullet, otherwise known as "hockey hair" which is really little more than grown out short hair. :)

NeilTheFuzz
October 1st, 2008, 05:22 PM
I am not a fan of mullets. IMO they are one of the worst figures of the late 70's/80's. They were ok...ish at the time (I imagen) but I think they have had their era. When everything was OTT and posey. I think the only hair style that is worst than the standard mullet is the "rats tail".

Speckla
October 1st, 2008, 05:35 PM
I think mullets are fine on other people's heads and not mine. I had a mulletish cut in August. I BC'd my highlights in a fit of pissy rage.
________
Halfbaked (http://half-baked.com)

maskedrose
October 1st, 2008, 06:31 PM
Hehe I'm really not a fan, but my mom is....which is why there are multiple family portraits when I was 3-4 where I'm rocking a serious mullet. Whenever I run across one of those pictures and wrinkle my nose up at my mom, she always says "but you looked so cute in that hairstyle!!" Ummm....no. Not at all. :)

Patrycja
October 1st, 2008, 07:17 PM
Mullets are like the worst of both worlds. Not only do you have a lot of inconvenient hair you either have to suffer through in the heat/braid or something and keep out of your way, but you don't really reap all the ingrained "OH MY GOD THAT PERSON HAS LONG PRETTY HAIR, THEY LOOK HEALTHY AND INTERESTING" reaction you get from people just liking your appearance.

D:

This is very interesting to me....Good point.

Personally,I think mullets are funny.Its all "Hey! I can be fun and interesting!!" but then its all "Hey!! I can be exactly like everyone else around here!!"

Friesiangirl
October 1st, 2008, 07:17 PM
I am not a mullet person. If you need to get rid of that much thickness, then shave the undernieth, I think that always looks different, yet awesome.

Hayley

PeaceWithTrees
October 1st, 2008, 10:33 PM
AWSOME!!!!!!!! BIDNESS in the front!!!!!! PAAAAAAAAAAARRRRTY in the back!!!!!:D

CurlyOne
October 1st, 2008, 10:48 PM
I've never been a mullet fan.

Melisande
October 2nd, 2008, 12:40 AM
I never saw a male mullet that I liked (and I grew up in the 70s and 80s!). Where I live, mullets are a dead sure sign of a very certain species of men... NOT my kind of men, ever.

On women, hm. Not much better. It's not flattering and quite often looks vulgar, if you ask me. But who knows what the mullet wearer thinks of me? So I try not to be judgmental and I'm always nice to mullets ;-)

Let's face it, hairstyles send signals. Amongst other things, about social status. Of course, this depends on where you live. Where I live, mullets shout ... oh I don't know a nice word for it, neither in German nor in English so i won't go there.

But if you want to be taken seriously at work and otherwise, cut that mullet. (And yes, a mullet with a rat tail is a multiplication of horrors, no doubt.)

Sarahmoon
October 2nd, 2008, 04:00 AM
I't absolutely NOT my taste :tmi:

may1em
October 15th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Don't like them AT ALL, especially on women. In Spain they're still very popular, which to a lot of American students seems odd. (I speak as both a former American student on a semester program there and also as a graduate assistant with another program this past summer who got to watch the undergrads' reactions.)

Then again, it's not my head that mullet's on. If it makes somebody happy, fine. Others can feel free to not like my hair but I'm under no obligation to change it. I can not like someone else's, but they're not here to decorate my world any more than I'm here to decorate theirs.

Still. Mullets. Ick.

ssjhotau2
October 15th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I'm fairly certain I've never seen anyone work a mullet... ever. Its just not a good look IMO

NightDaemon
October 15th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Business in the front, party in the back... But, unless bogan becomes bogan-chic (or those dang emo kids start wearing ironic mullets) we should be safe from this horrid menace.

mira-chan
October 15th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Speaking of mullets I saw a lady of 80 or so with a pure white mullet a couple of weeks ago. At least it wasn't the usual hair helmet.

spidermom
October 15th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I think the mullet is a hair-style idea whose time has come AND gone. Here's mine, circa 1983.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/80sc.jpg

Euphony
October 15th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I vaguely remember having one in the 80's. At the time everyone had one, hahaha I didn't even know what it was called. I wore my hair that way for years, slowly I grew out the sides and finally grew out the bangs 5 years ago - granted 5 years ago my hair didn't resemble a mullet in the least.

I noticed a woman at the store the other day had one...I wasn't keen on it, but to each their own. The back of her hair must've been about bsl. There's a checker at the gas station that had hair almost as long as mine last year and for some reason she got a mullet.

Okay as a fashion statement I don't like it. But I know I'm a suspect of the fashion police anyway, I'm sure I'm on the top ten most wanted. But I do remember when I had the mullet it was super easy to take care of. I got to have my longish hair and I got to have hair in front that could be styled, that would stay out of my way etc. I have noticed though that my hair even as long as it is doesn't stay behind my shoulders, I finally figured out it must be a thickness problem.

So I'd say other than a mullet being hideous IMO, I can certainly see the convenience of it.

spidermom
October 15th, 2008, 01:10 PM
We called it a bi-level cut back in the 1980s.

Euphony
October 15th, 2008, 01:11 PM
We called it a bi-level cut back in the 1980s.
Oh you know, that sounds far more familiar! I know it as a mullet now - but that's only been the last ten years or so that I've known it by that name. hahaha I still don't want one <shudder>

NightDaemon
October 15th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Interestingly, when my hair first started to get long, everyone accused me of mulletting (Okay, they didn't use mullet as a verb, but it just sounds dirtier that way. As it should. Ew.)

spidermom
October 15th, 2008, 01:18 PM
But we all thought we were so cute in our bi-levels and owl glasses!

dor3girl
October 15th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Not lovin' the mullet. I did date a gorgeous blonde with a serious mullet in high-school. I think he was the only one who really carried it off. It was kind-of a surfer mullet thing. He obviously had a talented hairdresser--I have never seen one that looked as good as his.

dor3girl
October 15th, 2008, 01:21 PM
If I find a photo of him--I will try to paste it here or in my photos (in case you think there never was a "good" mullet).

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1392&pictureid=23174

ok--now that I have looked at it--I guess this photo doesn't do it justice--maybe the mullet is better in memory. HAHAHAH!

Euphony
October 15th, 2008, 01:50 PM
But we all thought we were so cute in our bi-levels and owl glasses!
Yes, yes, yes I had those too - only for reading, but I still had them. Why did we think our cheeks needed to be able to see clearly?

NightDaemon
October 15th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Yes, yes, yes I had those too - only for reading, but I still had them. Why did we think our cheeks needed to be able to see clearly?
More oddly, why do certain people still think their cheeks need to see clearly? As someone whose nose is longer than his ability to focus without glasses (literally, alas), such huge glasses confuse me.

sapphire-o
October 15th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I don't like them but can tolerate the ones on men. Guys with any sort of long hair is good to me. :) Not on women, especially not old women. My mom got one last year, when I saw her I nearly choked. I've never seen her hair looking that bad all her life. It totally didn't suit her. I think I gave her lots of unsubtle hints (like it's weird and funny-looking), she has grown it out now. :D Now if she absolutely loved her hair I wouldn't have said anything, but I know she only got one because her Asian hairstylist talked her into one.

Euphony
October 15th, 2008, 02:02 PM
More oddly, why do certain people still think their cheeks need to see clearly? As someone whose nose is longer than his ability to focus without glasses (literally, alas), such huge glasses confuse me.
Oh yes, I've seen it recently too - boggling!

Okay I'm curious, are mullets coming back in style <gasp>?

I noticed yesterday while in town these two girls that looked roughly high school age walking down the street. One of them had on an acid washed denim skirt that was about halfway down her thighs, under that she had on some leggings and over that some boots that were about 1/4 way up her calf and the scrunchy type of top to the boots.

Did I miss a memo somewhere? Do I need to try to shed all this weight and find my old foot locker with all my high school clothes?

NightDaemon
October 15th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Eh, it's probably just ironic style. Those wacky teenagers will do all sorts of things because it isn't cool, and thus doing it is cool. Unless you do the wrong uncool thing, or act like you enjoy it, then it's not ironic and you're uncool. And if you try to be cool, you're uncool... Reminds me of why I just said 'stuff it' and did my own thing. No friends but great self-esteem (no everyone-else-esteem though)

Mebo
October 15th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I've heard it said that everything will come back into style, and that if you wore it the first time around as a teenager, DO NOT wear it the second time around....... lol

Alun
October 15th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I don't get why people are anti-mullet, or why those that don't like them so often seem to label everything that isn't 'one length' as a mullet. I had heavily layered hair back in the 70s, and I suspect that such people would label that now as a mullet, even though the word mullet wasn't even coined until the 80s and described an entirely different style altogether.

I never had a real mullet, though, and nor would I, but I've got nothing against them. In fact the only style I really don't like on other people is buzzed. Can't stand it. Looks OK on Sinead O'Connor but nobody else of either gender IMHO. Probably some think that's OK but can't stand mullets, in which case I can't relate to their PoV, but I accept that it's a matter of taste.

The main reason I went from layered hair to one length was that with fine and wavy hair it's more manageable this way. Layered hair on guys really went out of style too, but that turned out to be a blessing for my hair type. In fact anything other than long one length hair is totally uncontrollable on me, but YMMV. Buzz cuts are controllable, of course, but tend to make me want to :puke:

I suppose my dislike of buzz cuts could be seen as being just as irrational as a dislike of mullets would be. However, there is a reason - skinheads! Maybe mullets are associated in some people's minds with other stereotypes that they find disagreeable?

sneakybea
October 17th, 2008, 05:28 AM
I'll admit---back in college I kind of liked them. But that was back in the late eighties/early nineties when they were in style, and I never liked the ones in which the front was very very short (ala Billy Ray Cyrus). Nowadays mullets seem to belong to an aesthetic I just can't relate to---but to each their own, I guess.

Euphony
October 17th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Maybe mullets are associated in some people's minds with other stereotypes that they find disagreeable?
Ah yes, with me it's associated with people that are a little older - generally what would be considered white trash and many times a bit shaky waiting for their next fix. It seems it's people like that, at least in my neck of the woods, that that style hung on to after it went far out of style.

ImmortaLamia
October 17th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Don't like them at all, no offence to anyone who does.

same here...

spidermom
October 17th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I loved mine in the 80s. I don't plan to go back to it, though. Like I said, it's a style idea whose time has come and gone (for me). Anybody else -- no judgement. Each of us is entitled to wear what we like.

hipmama1970
October 18th, 2008, 02:50 AM
What's a neo-mullet? Ack, I'm so far behind the times...

Stevy
October 18th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Actually, I kind of like them on men, if the top hair's a bit longer and floppier and not cut to stick straight up. I suspect that this has EVERYTHING to do with my two big 1980s crushes being Michael Praed in Robin of Sherwood and Richard Dean Anderson in MacGyver. :blushing:

goldenwaves
October 18th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Hate them. Yuck.

goldenwaves
October 18th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Sorry to be so brash but that's my opinion :)

RavennaNight
October 4th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Just wanted to reiterate that MULLETS ARE AWESOME!

:brains:

GlassEyes
October 4th, 2009, 08:08 AM
xDDDDDDD;; THE NECROMANCER STRIKES AGAIN. :lol:

On subject, Ihate mullets--however, it depends on the form they take. I really, REALLY like 'emo' mullets or the 'Asian' Wolf-mullet. Both are attractive, depending on the person. But they're hardly the extreme that the 80's showed.

Kris Dove
October 4th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I've seen a few people look really good with a mullet. Marcus from the recent UK Big Brother wore a braid in the back of his mullet and had it spiked like Wolverine at the front, and it actually looked rather good!

I personally wouldn't wear mine in this style as it's baby fine and there's just not enough hair to pull it off.

Speckla
October 4th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I think they're fine smothered in butter with a splash of lemon juice.

RavennaNight
October 4th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I think they're fine smothered in butter with a splash of lemon juice.

:lol: I had to think about that for a sec... :yumm:

Shiva
October 4th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I think Mullets are beautiful. I love them. They are the most awesome haircut. ever.

If you have a mullet I think you are really cool. I just want you to know that.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/NorthernXposure/emoticons/ph34r.gif

Shermie Girl
October 4th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Personally, I don't care for them. However, if someone has one, loves it and it makes them happy, then more power to them. :)

pineapples
October 4th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Mullets should never see the light of day. Bowie and Bono were the only ones that could pull that look off (and only halfway) *just my opinion*

Shiva
October 4th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Mullets should never see the light of day.

omg. I think I just may cry over this comment.

:(

sally_neuf
October 4th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I actually had to google it, because I had no idea what you were talking about!

Well.. I haven't seen so many "mullets" here.. just a couple between kids around 14-15 years. I think it's ok, it depends how do you wear it, some people can use anything and make it look good.

it's all about attitude! :cheese:

BunnyBee
October 4th, 2009, 09:14 AM
I only ever saw ONE person irl that managed to pull off the mullet without looking ridiculous, and it looked AWESOME. Can't believe I even said that but there you go. If you can pull it off, go for it.. most people will look ridiculous however... :p

Cherry_Sprinkle
October 4th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I don't like them at all. I don't think they are flattering on anyone.

Fractalsofhair
October 4th, 2009, 09:33 AM
The scene mullet looks OK, the mullet from going out a pixie looks OK, but the 1980s mullet... I think I may run and hide if I see one. XD

Speckla
October 4th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Ok, I'll admit that I had a mullet circa 1985. A curly mullet at that!

Mutinous
October 4th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I have yet to see anyone look good in a mullet ever. And I'm not sureI am prepared to be converted to the mullet way either :P

fluffybunny
October 4th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Mullets have become a joke, but I have to admit, in the early 90s I had a huge crush on a mulleted guy and the mullet was a big part of the appeal. It was dark, glossy, and nicely blended from short to long.

I think it's funny that they've dubbed the Kate Gosselin (sp?) style the Reverse Mullet

Presto
October 4th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I looked very nice in a mullet, but my hair was a lot shorter. Now I have long layered hair, and it kind of looks like a very grown out mullet.
Done right, I think they're great! Done wrong, there's no worse hair cut. It is a style that can be done really really wrong, but also can be done in a very attractive style. It's a fine line, and not everyone is going to prefer quite the same form of mullet that I think looks good.

LoversLullaby
October 4th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I really don't like em. Definitely something I would NOT do to my hair!
But if someone wants one, go ahead. Not my hair.

klcqtee
October 4th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I personally don't understand why many hair dressers tend to cut curly hair into mullets. I understand, it can be cute while curly, and it keeps the hair away from the face and prevents it from overwhelming a small face, but the moment it's straightened, I WANT TO DIE. Yuck. Of course, some people may look good with a straight mullet...I've never seen one.

Paliele
October 4th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I personally don't understand why many hair dressers tend to cut curly hair into mullets. I've noticed this too! I don't have curly hair, but my aunt does and she always gets her hair cut this way. She says it's the style that best hides her thin spot on top. :shrug:

WaimeaWahine
October 4th, 2009, 01:30 PM
It would freak me out if people started in on my hair and whether I'm too old to wear it so dark or so long or with bangs, and on and on and on. Hair is hair. People are people. People may come here growing out a mullet and I want them to feel accepted no matter what. :)

Amoretti
October 4th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Oh, my, I remember this thread! :lol: I already posted on it in 2008.

In case you missed it then:

www.mulletjunky.com

Life will never be the same again. ;)

RubyRose
October 4th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I never understood the fascination that a 17 year old boy holds for mullets. My boyfriend can talk about them for hours on end. It's really funny. : )

Speckla
October 4th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I personally don't understand why many hair dressers tend to cut curly hair into mullets.

It's easier to cut curly hair into an accidental mullet because the shorter sides pull up more than the back. I've had this happen before when a hairdresser tried layers and cut some too short.

berr
October 4th, 2009, 04:30 PM

I think they look silly and the inverted mullets that women are now sporting with the bleached streaks look even more bizarre.
Why would anyone want 2 inch hair in the back with 8 inch hair in the front? Did they walk in and say gimme a 'tank girl' kind of haircut?

http://blog.newsarama.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/tank_girl~0.jpg

ps: tank girl could pull off that kind of haircut. not many can. whatever makes you happy, go for it. if it makes me chuckle... well maybe that's a good thing.

clairenewcastle
October 4th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Can't see myself with a mullet for my hair is short enough! However I think that the style has got far too much bad press, some people do actually suit their mullets.....if the individual is happy with their hairstyle surely that is the most important thing.

rhubarbarin
October 4th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I think they are supremely unflattering on nearly everyone I have seen them on.

Something about short layers on the top of the head, or even overly heavy bangs.. I think it makes ppeople's heads and faces look weird. Elongated.

There are a lot of mullets and mullet-y hair (shorter on top, longer back/sides) around here.

RavennaNight
October 4th, 2009, 08:04 PM
http://www.mulletjoe.com/
http://www.ratemymullet.com/show.php
http://www.mulletmadness.com/

Have Fun!

I have trouble taking folks with mullets seriously. But we all need comic relief, so folks with mullets serve their purpose!:lol:

longhairedfairy
October 4th, 2009, 11:07 PM

That said I saw a guy once with a curly uber mullet, looked like he still had his from the 80s... it was amazing!
Hahaha! You should write to him with that idea, Pegs. You never know - it might be a hit. His hair in Labyrinth is the only mullet-ish style that I've ever liked. Other than that, I think they're an abomination. Just my personal opinion, though.;)

hmmruka
October 4th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I personally hate mullets. Sorry but I do.

adiapalic
October 5th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Mullets way have too much stigma for me to ever like them. Joe Dirt (http://thecia.com.au/reviews/j/images/joe-dirt-4.jpg) didn't help!

Aer
October 5th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I'm not really into them, but I guess some people like them, because I see them around a lot. If someone likes it, then they should enjoy whatever style they chose. Joan Jett kind of had one going on, and she pulled it off pretty good. But the style I really dislike is that one that Kate, from that show, Jon & Kate Plus Eight, has. To me, it looks like a hen sitting on her head, with its gimpy wing hanging loosely to its side. But that's just my opinion.

Charlotte
October 5th, 2009, 01:06 AM
I used to think the mullet looked way cool back in the 80's but I think it has definately had it's day - much like the 80's perms that we (or at least a lot of us) had, heh heh. It's a bit tragic when you see one nowadays. :p:)

ilovelonghair
October 5th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Arent the new 'emo-scene-choppy-hair-do's' kind of mulllets in disguise? Really they come down to the same thing... and it isn't pretty

Toadstool
October 5th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Can't see myself with a mullet for my hair is short enough! However I think that the style has got far too much bad press, some people do actually suit their mullets.....if the individual is happy with their hairstyle surely that is the most important thing.

Absolutely!
I am kind of angered at the prejudice and judgement I see in this thread about others' choices.:(
Come on, people, many of you would be up in arms if anyone made similar comments about long hair.

Pumpkin
October 5th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Personally, I don't like mullets.

RavennaNight
October 5th, 2009, 06:43 AM
I am deeply amused now. I didn't think "liking mullets" was a serious question. At all. I mean, dude! It's a MULLET! :rollin: I thnik at this point the wearers of which know there is a certain humor attatched to it. It takes a true comedian to wear a mullet.

rhubarbarin
October 5th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I am deeply amused now. I didn't think "liking mullets" was a serious question. At all. I mean, dude! It's a MULLET! :rollin: I thnik at this point the wearers of which know there is a certain humor attatched to it. It takes a true comedian to wear a mullet.

I think I can safely say that not one of the many people I know with a mullet is wearing their hair like this ironically or to make people laugh.

I'm not talking super-mullets - buzzed top with long hair down the back - but any short on the top and sides, long in the back 'do.

goddesslynne
October 5th, 2009, 07:53 AM

I have only read the first and last page of this thread, but I had to jump in with these members and agree that Bowie rocks any hairstyle!!

Shiva
October 5th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Absolutely!
I am kind of angered at the prejudice and judgement I see in this thread about others' choices.:(
Come on, people, many of you would be up in arms if anyone made similar comments about long hair.
Me, too! and I just may go and blog about it!

I may even leave the board forever, too.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/NorthernXposure/emoticons/rant.gif

I, personally, would like to apologize to all the mulleted people who have been offended here in this thread. You are all unique snowflakes. Don't let rude, snarky people get to you. Your hair is beautiful.

Say it loud and say it proud: I <3 MY MULLET!!!111

GlassEyes
October 5th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Arent the new 'emo-scene-choppy-hair-do's' kind of mulllets in disguise? Really they come down to the same thing... and it isn't pretty
hey, I quite like those cuts! :p And they really aren't the same thing--mullets, true mullets anyway, are quite a bit more...dramatic.

ilovelonghair
October 6th, 2009, 05:04 AM
You're right: they's less bad than a true mullet :D