PDA

View Full Version : How can I tackle a (very) flaky scalp without wrecking my hair?

millyaulait
July 12th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I've been recommended T-Gel, charcoal shampoos, etc.

I was given a medicated shampoo but it's almost 100% alcohol and SLS!

What the heck?

What can I do....? I don't want to ruin my hair but I also don't want a flaky scalp...

:(

Lippytoes
July 12th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I don't know if they'd work for an extremely flaky scalp, but I've found that vinegar rinses really help with flakiness. Can you try something like that first before embarking on the extreme methods?

lmfbs
July 12th, 2012, 03:46 PM
What have you tried? That will give us more of an idea of what to recommend.

Bunnysaur
July 12th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Neem and tea tree oils really helped with my dandruff. I wouldn't say it had been severe, though.

furnival
July 12th, 2012, 03:58 PM
I've used the Head and Shoulders conditioner in tiny amounts rubbed into my scalp- I didn't want it all over my hair as it has 'cones- and it worked a treat. I applied it five minutes before a wash and washed twice a week. The flakes were gone in a couple of weeks. You only need to use a wee bit so the bottle lasts for ages. :)

lmfbs
July 12th, 2012, 04:01 PM
It really depends if it's a dry scalp or dandruff. H&S might aggravate a dry scalp. My first approach would be a scalp oiling and scritching. If that doesn't work, try clarifying. If no luck, then try H&S or some other sort of medicated shampoo.

Amygirl8
July 12th, 2012, 04:25 PM
T-Gel worked the best for me, but all the stores stopped selling it.
Now I usually use a bit of Head and Shoulders, some wheat moisturizing shampoo from Aveeno and an Olive oil shampoo on my scalp. It doesn't work as well at the T-Gel, but it works well enough. However I have to use all three, otherwise it doesn't work :rolleyes:

Often my scalp gets really flaky by the fourth day though, which is another reason I prefered T-Gel.
Back when my dandruff was really bad, I used to spread a pea-sized amount of ordinary moisturizer along my part and the surrounding area (and hairline). It helped a bit as well.

heidi w.
July 12th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Have you determined why your scalp skin is flakey? Are the flakes Dandruff, or something else.

If it's Dandruff, you can give Nizoral shampoo a try, and see if that helps. It's an antibacterial (and maybe antifungal) shampoo. It comes over the counter (OTC) and in prescription strength. It's important to let it sit on the hair for a brief duration prior to rinsing it out. Also if you have Dandruff, you can try Tea Tree Oil, separately from Nizoral. Depends on if you have wet or dry dandruff. Dry dandruff the Tea Tree Oil might be helpful. Mint might be helpful. It is said that lavender is antibacterial and good for minor burns. IF you use essential oils, run a skin test patch to be sure you aren't allergic before applying it to your scalp. If you just have random sites of flakes, then maybe apply to the specific sites.

There's also Seborrheic Dermatitus which can have flakes, but they don't flake the same way Dandruff does. The flakes are larger patches and they adhere to scalp skin and a given hair strand quite firmly.

You can also try ACV rinses after the use of Nizoral shampoo.

Nizoral will probably be helpful to you (start with OTC and if that doesn't work, find a doc to prescribe you the prescription strength version). Watch out, it's a bit pricey but better than the Neutrogena and T/Gel stuff and the usual arsenal of dandruff shampoos.

I might add you can also considering scritching the scalp skin as well as detangling hair length prior to a given shampoo. Especially if it's S.D. that you have. Scritching helps to improve the efficacy of a given shampoo by loosening and sometimes entirely releasing some flakes.

I also recommend washing your detangling hair comb every time you wash your hair, no matter the method of hair wash. And change your pillowcase and wash it too.

heidi w.

earthnut
July 12th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Read this to help determine if you have dandruff or dry scalp:
http://voices.yahoo.com/dandruff-vs-dry-scalp-recognize-heal-both-1778597.html?cat=69

Most people who think they have dandruff actually have dry scalp. The regime for dry scalp is the same one for healthy hair. Moisture! Since I've gone conditioner-only, my hair is much less flaky and itchy.

meerikal
July 12th, 2012, 09:58 PM
My sister dealt with a severely flaky scalp for years. It would get so bad she would have bright red patches around her head where the skin was so damaged and irritated. After trying just about everything we lucked on the combo of a gentle soy based shampoo mixed with coconut oil (2:1) and the Silkience Spa Haus Avocado and Olive oil conditioner from the Dollar Tree. Sounds crazy, but she hasn't had a single flake in over a year. She also only washes every three days. Hope you find what works for you.

GoblinTart
July 12th, 2012, 10:03 PM
I made a castor oil, sunflower oil, and tea tree oil combo for someone who had a really bad dandruff problem. And I mean really bad. Worked out perfectly.

ravenreed
July 12th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Vinegar rinses and occasional scalp oilings, along with switching to CO have pretty much cured my scalp flakies. I avoid SLS as much as possible on the scalp, as it makes it really unhappy. Mine was dry skin, not dandruff, so those things worked really well for me.

Falcore
July 12th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Mix some raw sugar (the coarser brown sugar you can buy) some olive oil and a few drops of peppermint oil and massage onto the scalp. Shampoo/condition after (you'll need to to get the oil off).

Works great!

Oh, and I've heard some good reviews on neem oil too.

Good luck!

HumanBean
July 12th, 2012, 11:06 PM
If its dry scalp I second the brown sugar scrub.

auburntressed
July 13th, 2012, 12:04 AM
Sugar is pretty abrasive. Does that not harm the hair shaft when you are rubbing it into the scalp?

EtherealDoll
July 13th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Scalp massages with jojoba and almond oil have cured my flaky scalp. But I had dry scalp, not dandruff.

millyaulait
July 13th, 2012, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone! :)

I'm not sure if it's dandruff or dry scalp (is there any way of telling?),

I'm going to try the sugar scrub first and see what happens, then try the oils/vinegar.