PDA

View Full Version : Accessories to hide roots

CajunBaby
July 12th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Hi all, question for avid accessory users.

Soooo, I will be facing some severe roots coming up shortly. My natural hair is dark blonde, and right now my hair is platinum WHITE. I am wanting to go more towards a darker, more natural shade. I can't dye the platinum closer to my natural color (I asked 3 hairdressers all said the same thing...to grow out two inches of roots and then come get them highlighted and over time the platinum will just grow out and eventually be cut off.)

So imagine very dark hair and a very striaght horizontal line of white hair. I need ideas on hiding them!! If I can't hide them (I will be working with the public so I can't exactly go into hiding), I will look very unprofessional.

Preferrably, not hats. I was thinking headbands but IDK where to get those really wide ones! Any other ideas?

prettykitty
July 12th, 2012, 01:29 PM
I had a friend who used to do a zig-zag parting when she was between touch ups to hide her roots. I could never get it to look right on me, my hair is too flat for it.

ravenreed
July 12th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Something like this (http://www.etsy.com/listing/93105786/vintage-stretch-in-rustic-green-garlands)?

CajunBaby
July 12th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Zigzag parting works pretty good for some roots. However, this will be two FULL inches of very dark against very light hair, so i will have to completely cover my head but trying to avoid hats or berkas, LOL :o

Raven, that is BEAUTIFUL!! I forgot about Etsy! I love that site. Ok I am going to go search around Etsy thanks for the idea.

Sisgoldenhair65
July 12th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I have about and inch and a half of roots and I use soft cloth headbands. They come in various widths. Right now I wear a thin one but as my roots grow I will probrably go to a thicker one until I don't feel I need them anymore. I think they look cute! I don't know what you do but I work in a dental office and wear my hair like this or in a french braid with the headband. http://i.imgur.com/0c79z.jpg

Shebelina
July 12th, 2012, 01:46 PM
I wear wide head bands quite often, and have collected a fair few. Anywhere that sells hair accessories will probably have one or two. Claire's often have some too.

Have you thought about using scarves as well? I wrap them around my head, and either tie them at the back, or I incorporate the ends into a braid.

ravenreed
July 12th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I have been favoriting that shop for a while. I need to break down and order something!

Zigzag parting works pretty good for some roots. However, this will be two FULL inches of very dark against very light hair, so i will have to completely cover my head but trying to avoid hats or berkas, LOL :o

Raven, that is BEAUTIFUL!! I forgot about Etsy! I love that site. Ok I am going to go search around Etsy thanks for the idea.

CajunBaby
July 12th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Sisgoldenhair, I like that look a lot. And very professional too. I will have to go with the thicker ones like the etsy photo that Raven shared. The medium one looks great in ur hair but u have highlights so it blends a lot better than a wall of white hair against dark roots, LOL!!! see that little piece in front u have showing? I don't think that will look OK on me with the contrast I will have :D

Good idea with the french braid too I like that a lot!

swearnsue
July 12th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Something like this (http://www.etsy.com/listing/93105786/vintage-stretch-in-rustic-green-garlands)?

The scarf is the same colors as your Avatar.

Amber_Maiden
July 12th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Head scarfs, headbands!

CajunBaby
July 12th, 2012, 02:27 PM
To those who suggested scarves, do yall have any advice on how to make them look good? I don't really know how to wear one :p

Sisgoldenhair65
July 12th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Sisgoldenhair, I like that look a lot. And very professional too. I will have to go with the thicker ones like the etsy photo that Raven shared. The medium one looks great in ur hair but u have highlights so it blends a lot better than a wall of white hair against dark roots, LOL!!! see that little piece in front u have showing? I don't think that will look OK on me with the contrast I will have :D

Good idea with the french braid too I like that a lot!

This is a messier more casual style. For work you can go neater with different widths, colors and styles of headbands and scarves. Since your color contrast is more dramatic you can try a scarf or wider headband which matches your dyed color to trick the eyes...or maybe a printed one for distraction.

ravenreed
July 12th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Lol! Is that a hint that I need that one? I was thinking one of the pink ones, but I like that one too.

The scarf is the same colors as your Avatar.

CajunBaby
July 12th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Believe it or not, I used to wear the messy bun to work all the time lol. Never thought of adding a headband, which would've really helped keep my bangs and new growth out of my eyes so I can actually see what I'm doing LOL (paramedic)

Diamond.Eyes
July 12th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I think something like this (http://www.keikolynn.com/2011/07/head-scarf-tutorial.html?m=1) would be cute. :)

Sisgoldenhair65
July 12th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I love the bun/headband combo. IMO it keeps the bun look fresh and younger looking. It's kinda my signature look. Lol I can't really wear scarves to work because I can't have anything hanging down from my head as the ties would do. They are great for fun wear, though! The thing with headbands sometimes is I have to adjust them a lot as they slide to the back of my head. Grrrr!

kpzra
July 12th, 2012, 02:50 PM
If you're a paramedic check with your dress code. With ours we couldn't wear a scarf and headbands had to be approved first. Hats were out as well.

Sisgoldenhair65
July 12th, 2012, 02:50 PM
I think something like this (http://www.keikolynn.com/2011/07/head-scarf-tutorial.html?m=1) would be cute. :)

Excellent suggestion, Diamond Eyes! I must get some of those. Very pretty!

CajunBaby
July 12th, 2012, 02:57 PM
We can wear what we want as far as hair accessories (me and my partner even wore clip in extensions once on a slow truck just for fun lol). The only thing they don't like are hats from outside agencies. But I don't wear hats anyway :rolleyes:

Shebelina
July 12th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I think something like this (http://www.keikolynn.com/2011/07/head-scarf-tutorial.html?m=1) would be cute.

I hadn't thought to wear a scarf like that, it looks fantastic. I pretty much do the same thing only I wear it backwards, with the knot under the bun. I also use a couple of bobby pins, just above my ears, to hold it in place.

I found this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=72757) about wearing scarves. The picture on the right, in the first post, was what I was trying to explain earlier.

CajunBaby
July 12th, 2012, 03:25 PM
I really like that scarf tutorial!

jlb
July 12th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I use bandanas a lot. Just fold them corner to corner, then if you want a narrow headband roll them up. Or for a wider headband you can fold it to any length then tie it on. You can get them in any color often for $1. Bandanas are still the first thing that goes in my backpack for roadtrips & I have a few that stay in my tank bag to help hide helmet hair.

Oh and the stretchy headbands never seem to stay on me. So being able to tie these to the size I need works well.