PDA

View Full Version : Brown sugar to exfoliate scalp

MissDixie
July 12th, 2012, 12:25 PM
I read that making a paste with brown sugar is a great way to exfoliate your scalp. Has anyone tried this or have any other suggestions? I plan on doing it tonight or tomorrow. I have a lot dead skin up there and would like to see if this works.

DarkCurls
July 12th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Aaah, I should try this! I've found massaging with olive oil works well to loosen up the yucky dead skin up there, but it wouldn't hurt to try something else. I used to use sugar (white though) mixed with water into a paste to exfoliate my face and it worked quite well (plus it tasted yummy if I got some on my lips). :)

Just a question -- why brown sugar?

patienceneeded
July 12th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I did this once, it seemed to work. Make sure to rinse well! Also, make the paste thicker than you might think, as it will dilute very quickly in the shower.

Elanadi
July 12th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Aaah, I should try this! I've found massaging with olive oil works well to loosen up the yucky dead skin up there, but it wouldn't hurt to try something else. I used to use sugar (white though) mixed with water into a paste to exfoliate my face and it worked quite well (plus it tasted yummy if I got some on my lips). :)

I thought the sugar would dissolve too quickly? I think I'm going to try it on my Chinese Crested, he needs to be exfoliated. :laugh:

DarkCurls
July 12th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I thought the sugar would dissolve too quickly? I think I'm going to try it on my Chinese Crested, he needs to be exfoliated. :laugh:

I actually just googled this because I was interested and saw people asking "Doesn't it melt?" To be honest that never even crossed my mind. XD It made a good white paste that could be scrubbed on for a couple of minutes at least, and I had a harder time getting it off than on. So no dissolving for me, but hey, you can always add more sugar. :p

ladyfey
July 12th, 2012, 01:07 PM
I did it and it worked wonderfully! I mixed 2 Tbs brown sugar, 2 Tbs oatmeal (put the oatmeal thru a blender first) and 2 Tbs conditioner.

MissDixie
July 12th, 2012, 01:12 PM

Brown sugar has more of a soft texture compared to white sugar. So it should be more gentle for your scalp.

Never tried using sugar on my face. I think I'll try this also!!!

MissDixie
July 12th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I did it and it worked wonderfully! I mixed 2 Tbs brown sugar, 2 Tbs oatmeal (put the oatmeal thru a blender first) and 2 Tbs conditioner.

You did this after you shampooed then?

cheetahfast
July 12th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Hmm, as long as it dissolves...
Still I'm a chicken about putting some things in my hair.
I had a banana fisaco...:o

ladyfey
July 12th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I think I did it before shampooing, then the scrub, then conditioner. It did leave tiny little pieces of oatmeal in my hair, but those fell out as my hair dried.

blondie9912
July 12th, 2012, 08:17 PM
I do this quite often. DarkCurls had the right idea about olive oil, maybe try mixing olive oil and brown sugar? I've heard that more often than we think, the gunk on our scalp is a result of dryness and not dirt.

HumanBean
July 12th, 2012, 08:22 PM
I did this twice when I first started on LHC with great results. I had dry flaky scalp and after the two treatments it did not reappear.

The recipe I used was from somewhere on here:
1-2 tbsp brown sugar
1-2 tbs honey or conditioner
1 tsp of acv.

WaitingSoLong
July 12th, 2012, 08:52 PM

I got the biggest kick out of this comment. I am still laughing a little. :p

I use brown sugar, olive oil and some spices/herbs for a face scrub from a recipe I found here on TLHC. I could easily try it on my scalp. I have matching (symmetrical) problem scalp areas and this never occured to me (to exfoliate).

For some reason, the brown sugar never dissolves. I have had the face scrub sitting in a container for a couple weeks now. The sugar sinks to the bottom so I have to stir it every time with a popsicle stick. I would be concerned about how hard it would be to get OUT of my hair. For this reason, I think I will pass on a whole head scrub but MAY try the areas above my ears which are my flaky/problem areas (I have some kind of dermatitis there, sometimes it is around my nape, too).

rock007junkie
July 12th, 2012, 08:57 PM
I used to do this a lot. I mixed it up with conditioner instead. Now that I think about it, I don't know why I stopped doing this. It was awesome for my scalp.

lmfbs
July 12th, 2012, 09:08 PM
I'm going to try this next time I wash my hair. I make the exact same bodyscrub, but never tried it in my hair. Will report back!

WaitingSoLong
July 12th, 2012, 09:32 PM
I used to do this a lot. I mixed it up with conditioner instead. Now that I think about it, I don't know why I stopped doing this. It was awesome for my scalp.

That's a great idea!

anime_length
July 12th, 2012, 09:37 PM
I use white sugar all the time on my face (it makes my whole face so smooth and soft!) but I would worry that scrubbing your scalp might be rough on the follicle.

magicatt
July 12th, 2012, 10:05 PM
I use sugar to scrub my scalp almost daily. I had been adding a bit of sugar to my shampoo but I switched shampoos and I'm using something a bit too runny to work now. I started doing a CWC but the first C is conditioner with sugar--not a lot of conditioner because it's just for a scalp scrub--and that has been working really well.

Elanadi
July 12th, 2012, 10:16 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: