PDA

View Full Version : How the heck do you measure your length by yourself?

Vanilla
July 12th, 2012, 10:18 AM
My DH used to measure my length for me, but I haven't been able to tell where I'm at measurement wise in a while.

Also, we have a very small bathroom mirror at home, so the visual length checks with my phone camera aren't working for me well either.

How do you single people measure your hair length without someone to help? I'd ask the dog, but she doesn't know how to hold a measuring tape :)

heidi w.
July 12th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Dogs are dogs because they lack opposable thumbs. That's why we're their slaves. LOL

Really it's best to have help when measuring. The official way to measure hair is to place a tape measure (one that is fairly flexible; tape measures don't work so well, I've tried.....LOL) at the beginning of the forehead hairline, draw the tape over the top of the head and down the back length to the ends. Pinch where the tape and hair ends/meet, and look at the tape measure. I had some issues doing this method and got some strange measurements so then I invoked my then roommates' help. So if you use this method by yourself, expect that your measurement may be off by a nitch or two on the tape measure, maybe not a full inch off, but that can happen to as it did to me, but you'll be in the ballpark. If you ever get your hair trimmed, have the hairdresser measure your hair as I described. That's the official way to measure hair.

heidi w.

trolleypup
July 12th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Lay the tape over the top of your head, grab the hair and tape at your nape, bring the tape and ponytail around front and measure. You can also use a clip. Not as accurate as having someone help you, but good enough.

Seeshami
July 12th, 2012, 10:28 AM
I find the end of my tape measure and press it to my forehead exactly where it needs to be. Then I look straight reach behind me and find my longest hairs pinching them to the tape measure and then looking at what it says. Of course when I do measurements I follow the process multiple times and then average the numbers if I am getting different ones.

bunzfan
July 12th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I find the end of my tape measure and press it to my forehead exactly where it needs to be. Then I look straight reach behind me and find my longest hairs pinching them to the tape measure and then looking at what it says. Of course when I do measurements I follow the process multiple times and then average the numbers if I am getting different ones.

That's how i do it.

pepperminttea
July 12th, 2012, 10:32 AM

Agreed. As for visual measuring: camera + self-timer. :D

patienceneeded
July 12th, 2012, 12:00 PM
I use my camera with the timer on and take length pics. Measuring is too inaccurate for me. I just look at pics to see where it's hitting my body.

Vanilla
July 12th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I will try some of these tonight and let you know how they worked out.

jacqueline101
July 12th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I find using markers on the body works better. For example shoulder length is the shoulders and so fourth.

Vanilla
July 12th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I find using markers on the body works better. For example shoulder length is the shoulders and so fourth.

I can't see behind me at all, and I think I'm an inch or so from BSL. I can't tell exactly how far it is with my puny mirror and camera.

Henrietta
July 12th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Now I have 2+2 hands to measure, but when I was alone I would set the beginning of the tape at my hairline above my forehead, guide it through the middle of my head back and down. Then with one hand I would press it to my scalp and with the other grab my hair in a ponytail at the nape of my neck, catching also the tape. Then, with the free hand I'd bring the pony to the front and measure. Since there is a broad margin for mistake here I usually measured three times, or more. But generally the tape remains mostly unmoved if you are focused, so you can trust this method. At least it worked for me. ;)