PDA

View Full Version : My MSM experience

KwaveT
July 12th, 2012, 06:26 AM
I have had a lot of trouble with shedding ever since I went to CO. I had to stop it and go back to shampoo on my scalp to prevent shedding worse than it already was. My hair getting longer is probably part of it. I have been on 2300 mg of MSM for ten months and I was still shedding like usual. I recently went up to 3300 and then I have been on 4300 mg of MSM starting June 29. I did my hair this morning and there was only about 20-25 shed hairs come out of my head this morning even after using wide tooth comb, tangle teezer and BBB. I usually get at least that many before I even start using BBB. My experience tells me that people are not using enough of MSM to reduce the shedding and to increase the growth rate. I already heard that you have to be on about 4000 mg to get optimal hair growth. Apparently the same with the shedding too. Some may can do it with less MSM but I needed more to get the same effects. Like with all supplements I read that some companies don't put full amount of the product in their supplements. They take shortcuts. Which supplement you use may also determine how much you need. I don't know if that is the case here. I wonder if others had the same problem. I debated starting cocunut oil but I have heard it causes drying if you use too much. I don't know anything on how to use it.

Mesmerise
July 12th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Hmm I really should start taking my MSM again ;). I have it in powder/crystal form, and it's a bit yucky to take (in water) but you can control the dose! (It's not unbearable... just not nice!).

bunzfan
July 12th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Be careful i got awfully depressed when i tried it but felt fine a few weeks after stopping:(

Vampyria
July 12th, 2012, 07:18 AM
I also started taking MSM, because of the shedding. It's going on for at least 3 month and doesn't stop no mater what I do or eat. I measured my thickness yesterday, and my ponytail circumference apparently went from 3,5 (sometimes I measured even more) to 3 inches. :(

Thank you for that information KwaveT. I had problems with headaches in the beginning, so I was just taking around 1/5 or even less of teaspoon twice a day. It was still to much so I decreased the amount to just once a day and it helped. Now I increased to twice a day again and I have no headaches. :) I hope it wont be taking to long to get to 4000 mg or more without headaches. I only use it for about 2 weeks, so I can't really say nothing about the shedding. I noticed less shedding when I'm washing my hair, but that is probably henna gloss (that I did last week) effect, because that is the only thing that changed besides MSM.

Amber_Maiden
July 12th, 2012, 08:51 AM
I took MSM for about 7-8 months. Hated it, did nothing for me.

Wildcat Diva
July 12th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Hmm I really should start taking my MSM again ;). I have it in powder/crystal form, and it's a bit yucky to take (in water) but you can control the dose! (It's not unbearable... just not nice!).

Try it in orange juice. I think for absorption you are supposed to incorporate vitamin C anyway, right?

Ephemeral
July 12th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I have had a lot of trouble with shedding ever since I went to CO. I had to stop it and go back to shampoo on my scalp to prevent shedding worse than it already was. My hair getting longer is probably part of it. I have been on 2300 mg of MSM for ten months and I was still shedding like usual. I recently went up to 3300 and then I have been on 4300 mg of MSM starting June 29. I did my hair this morning and there was only about 20-25 shed hairs come out of my head this morning even after using wide tooth comb, tangle teezer and BBB. I usually get at least that many before I even start using BBB. My experience tells me that people are not using enough of MSM to reduce the shedding and to increase the growth rate. I already heard that you have to be on about 4000 mg to get optimal hair growth. Apparently the same with the shedding too. Some may can do it with less MSM but I needed more to get the same effects. Like with all supplements I read that some companies don't put full amount of the product in their supplements. They take shortcuts. Which supplement you use may also determine how much you need. I don't know if that is the case here. I wonder if others had the same problem. I debated starting cocunut oil but I have heard it causes drying if you use too much. I don't know anything on how to use it.

Same experience here. I take 4500 mg daily (and other supplements) with orange juice. I shed maybe 15-30 hairs a day and I used to shed over 100. The sink used to be littered with shed hair and broken bits and now I brush and maybe 2 or 3 hairs will be there. I cleaned the hair out of my bbb after a week and there were maybe 15 hairs in it. It has also made my fingernails grow fast and strong. I actually own 8 bottles of nail polish now - first time I have ever had nails long enough to paint.

KwaveT
July 12th, 2012, 08:28 PM
I use a Super B Complex supplement with about 150 mg of Vitamin C. I also eat an orange every morning also. Those two things are my Vitamin C. For those with trouble with the symptoms of MSM like I mentioned in another topic divide your MSM in three daily doses. I do 2000 in morning, 1000 at lunch, 1300 at dinner. For my fingernails, I have always had strong nails but they are just about rock hard now and grow like crazy. I actually got the white of my nails to about three quarters of an inch long at one point. They were breaking left and right at that length. Sometimes very long nails that are very hard can make them break easier sometimes. I take them down to 1/4 of inch and redo them every four weeks. I have no more trouble with them breaking now. They are about 3/8 of an inch by the end of the four weeks. I have not been on 4300 mg for the entire four week period of my nail growth. I am going to see it is making them grow even faster now compared to 2300 mg. It is really hard to measure my hair for accuracy of growth since it is so wavy and curly. I use physical marks on my back to track growth like bumps on my back since I have some back acne or my front hair in relation to my chin since most of hair there is about chin length or little beyond.

thystle
July 13th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Interesting about most people not taking enough MSM. I started taking it because I'd read it would help with joint pain, but I was only taking 1000 mg daily.

It didn't seem to help my joints, but I think it broke my nearly year-long stall, as I got almost five inches of hair growth in like a month! I did seem to shed less, also, though I didn't lose much before. I didn't notice any headache, but then I usually have a headache everyday anyway.

I'm out of the pills now, need to pick up some more, when I do I'll try a larger dose and see what happens. Might get me to knee a lot faster!

ellen732
July 13th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I have always taken supplements most of my life because my mother was always a health nut. I noticed with MSM though, not so much faster growth but my hair thickness has increased. I used to have very thin temple areas and it has filled in within six months to a year of taking MSM.

akilina
July 13th, 2012, 01:55 PM
I have been trying to take MSM but for some reason it is almost impossible for me to take supplements every single day, no matter how hard I try to remember.
So I have been taking it on and off for the last few months and that is no way to gauge any progress.
I know you need to do something for at least a few consecutive months to notice anything.
I heard how MSM makes many bloated and I was feeling extra bloated when I took it, no matter how much water I drank so I quit.
If anything I would appreciate it for joint pain. I am only 21 but I feel like my knees and all my joints are going to hell.

gonzobird
July 14th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I tried msm from whole foods and it made me feel like i was having a panic attack. I only took 250 mg,too. So i tried these....

http://www.lovelula.com/pd-terra-nova-beauty-complex-100-caps.cfm

It's been about a month.... well see. They dont make me feel weird or bloated or anything bad. There's other good things in them, too.

AutumnLocks
July 31st, 2012, 11:23 AM
I've never taken MSM for hair loss. I have taken it for the pain o arthrits. It works really well for that.

Theobroma
July 31st, 2012, 11:30 AM
I've been taking it for between three and four months now. I've noticed a decrease in my daily shedding, but I don't know whether this is due to starting MSM or switching to shampoo bars.

About six weeks after starting MSM I thought my growth rate had doubled, but unfortunately that seems to have been a spurt that's tapering off now despite my continuing to take MSM.

So overall, I don't know whether the stuff is having any effect. :confused:

longhairedleah
July 31st, 2012, 12:46 PM
hmmm interesting, I take msm sporadically along with fish oil (just here and there, not regularly, i figure it's like having a meal to my body).

Maybe I will be more regular about it again, but this time with a better idea of dosing! I just seem to get tired of all the pill taking... Thanks for the tip though, OP!

rosance
September 18th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I just started taking MSM powder from Now foods yesterday. I will be taking 1800 mg for week and boost it up to 3600 a day after that. I cannot wait for results even though it will take months! :doh:

Redhead Rebel
September 18th, 2012, 05:13 PM
I have been taking 1500mg MSM twice a day for the past 6 weeks. Maybe I should take 1 more per day? I started shedding heaps on Monday and it still hasn't stopped and my ponytail is getting quite thin. I'm not sure whats causing the shedding :(

KwaveT
September 18th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Wow. My topic has been revived. I am using 4800 mg now. MSM will not stop shedding though if it is caused by medication you take. I got that brief drop but shedding went back to my normal elevated rate. I have found out since I started this topic that my seizure medicine is the culprit of my increased shedding rate. 4800 mg and I still shed a lot.

deltadeliquent
September 19th, 2012, 03:08 AM
When I took MSM it gave me horrible nightmares, the type that keeps up up and then follows you around for the next few weeks. I can still recall some of them.
I would go back to it but for that. They really got to me... I wonder if nightmares cause the depression some report. They just don't remember the " pictures" in their head like I did???

Accalia
September 19th, 2012, 04:20 AM
I'm using msm for about 7 months but just 1500 mg a day. 750 in the morning and 750 before sleeping. My pony circ definitely increased but I did a lot different things to my hair. So I'm not sure it's because of the msm. I've read on my bottle that you could take 3 pills a day. So that's 2250 mg. 4800 mg sounds like a lot! Can't you overdose with this stuff? :)