PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper interview with woman who hates her "ginger" hair

infinity_girl
July 12th, 2012, 03:19 AM
Thought you all would find this woman's ridiculous opinion interesting;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2172096/Its-dont-GENE-Redhead-bullied-school-says-matter-celebrities-dye-hair-real-gingers-outcasts.html

Personally, I think natural red/ginger hair is absolutely beautiful, unique and stunning!

moltabella
July 12th, 2012, 03:28 AM
i feel bad for her.

my mom is a natural ginger and embraces it. I do see what this lady is talking about when she mentions standing out though bc natural gingers do stand out and when kids target someone who is different, it can be traumatic.

It just sucks that she associates all of it with something she can't control. To have to damage your hair and tint your eyebrows and pile on makeup just to be happy looking in the mirror would be so much work :(

Also, her bf is a jerk!

clanless
July 12th, 2012, 03:37 AM
Isn't red hair disliked in the UK because it's associated with the minorities such as the Irish? I heard the Irish are still stigmatized over there.

I've had ginger friends before, they were literally like walking fire. Glowing red everywhere, really cool. They weren't ugly either, some of them were even good looking, no idea where people got the idea that gingers are ugly. I don't see the problem with freckles either.

christine1989
July 12th, 2012, 03:44 AM
WTF. This sounds like something out of The Onion. It's scary to know that such ridiculous discrimination really occurs. I don't remember "ginger discrimination" being a thing when I was growing up. The first I even heard about negative ginger stereotypes was via South Park.

prettykitty
July 12th, 2012, 03:48 AM
I feel sorry for her. Yes, she's been treated badly and that's wrong, but it's created a huge barrier for her in her mind, and she'll never be able to appreciate her natural self. The worst is that she says her boyfriend thinks ginger people are disgusting-I'd never want to be with someone who said things like that.

furnival
July 12th, 2012, 03:55 AM
I think ginger hair looks lovely, but then I'm not ginger and have never been bullied for it. I can see how you might end up despising your hair colour if you recieved loads of flak for it at a young and impressionable age.
She looks really pretty in the 'before' picture- in the more recent one, she just looks like every other makeup-plastered, fake-tanned, bleach blonde member of the generic beauty brigade. :shrug:

Marcellaa
July 12th, 2012, 04:35 AM
I feel bad for her too... I have one friend who is a 'real' ginger and when we were little, the picked on her too. I was always jealous of her hair and ending up dying my own hair with henna.
My face is pretty pale, it doesn't seem to tan at all anymore. And I have freckles. Those two combined with my henna red hair, makes that some people think this is my real color and that I am a ginger :')
But I do have darkbrown eyebrows and black eyelashes.

Avital88
July 12th, 2012, 04:45 AM
She needs à shrink and dump her boyfriend. She looked so much beter before without the layers of make up and blonde hair,sad she was literally raised to hate herself.

Amber_Maiden
July 12th, 2012, 05:55 AM
How did I know this would be from the DailyMail? Must be psychic. :rolleyes:

This article is so annoying/stupid. I feel for her being redhead and being bullied. I actually dyed my hair brown in high school so people wouldn't bully me. I dislike how she basically says there is only ONE TYPE of redhead- the freckled, albino lashed/eye browed, pale skinned version. Yes, I think most redheads have pale skin, but there rest? Nope. My mother is a redhead. My aunt is a redhead. about 88% of my cousins are redheads. About 89% of my extended family are redheads. Only about 30% of them are the type of redhead she described. All are pale, but the rest of what she said? Nope. And I'm definitely not. I don't have freckles, but I am pale, and my hair is red. Used to be redder when I was a kid, but it's still red. I hate it when people try to say there is only one way to be something. Let's box redheads as only one certain thing, shall we? :mad:

As for skin that tans, mine sure does! I'm actually the only one in my family who can tan without burning, but I'm pretty sure that's only because I have native blood in me. I'm a weird mix, what can I say? :eyebrows:

And as for being called ginger, watch this video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVN_0qvuhhw) It's a favourite of mine.:p

And lastly, she's pathetic for not dumping her boyfriend. Who wants to be with a guy like that? She's trying to use him as an angle for her story, but guess what? Just makes her look bad. AS does that whole fake look she's trying to rock. Want to get the word ginger to not be insulting? Reclaim it. I can name a couple of minorities who reclaimed certain words that were being used to make fun of them/repress them. It doesn't have to be the way she makes it. When people say, "hey ginger" at me, I say "Yep. I'm a ginger" right back. Reclaim it. I get the whole "I was bullied in high school", but most kids are bullied in high school for something. And yes, I took the easy way out and dyed my hair town, but guess what? People found a ton of other things to bully me about. Get over it. Move on. And for God's sake, if your hair is falling out from all the chemicals you are putting on your head, STOP.

newbeginning
July 12th, 2012, 06:12 AM
I'm a strawberry blonde that got darker as I aged (started to get darker as a child but born strawberry blonde and had that colour when I was very young). I got teased/bullied a lot by kids at school but not because of my hair colour (probably partly due to my not trying to fit in and being my own person). I just ignored the bullying. On the other hand I also had/get a lot of compliments on my hair, girls playing with my hair in the younger grades and jealous girls in school threatening to cut it off. Not until the last few years have I heard negative stereotypes about redheads. I always heard positive ones (e.g. that they're sexy). I don't remember any kid being teased for being a redhead growing up. I don't really see/hear people being teased for being a redhead now as an adult. Maybe the prejudice is regional?

pink.sara
July 12th, 2012, 06:22 AM
*facepalm*

Yet another halfwit being given television coverage for no reason.
She doesn't have to damage her hair so much with bleaching. She doesn't have to have extensions and a god awful fake tan. She doesn't have to cover herself in inch thick make-up to cover her freckles. And she certainly doesn't have to be dating that plonker :rolleyes:

She chooses to because she's clearly a Chavvy idiot.

Yes I'm not the super pale eyelashed type of ginger but I can't count the times I've been told I have beautiful skin and I'm covered in freckles.
Because I'm a redhead.
Yes I do tan really well, probably because my Gran is Chippewa and my other Gran is Romany but to start with my tan is basically my freckles taking over and joining up! :D

I get the feeling this girl would hate herself whatever colour her skin or hair were... unless she was born looking like barbie.

Great work once again from the Daily Hate Mail, publicising idiots who make our nation look like shallow, self pitying bunch of losers.

Zesty
July 12th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Maybe it's different in the UK or in other regions of the US, but in my area people love redheads. Two of my very close friends are naturally "ginger," one has the freckles and invisible eyelashes, and they're both beautiful and are only called "ginger" or "ginge" in the most affectionate of ways. I've personally always seen red hair as something to be jealous of more than as something "disgusting." Red hair is different, so it gets pointed out, but that level of prejudice is foreign to me.

...So this seems ridiculous to me, and also sad. And I agree that she needs to lose the shallow boyfriend.

Demi-Plum
July 12th, 2012, 06:35 AM
It's a shame that she dyes her hair. I think she looks horrible with all that fake dye and makeup. She was gorgeous in the photo of herself as a young girl.
My mother is a red-head and I happen to have her freckle gene. I have medium skin though which means I'm really pale by choice because I can tan nicely if I want. I have freckles all over though, and I'll have some in odd places, like on my ear, above my eye I have one, ect. I don't feel the need to get rid of them because that's what I look like. Do I add foundation, yes, but not for the sole purpose of getting rid of my freckles. I also have fiery red and platinum blond hairs. Granted they are very few because I'm so dark, but they are there because I see them all the time.
My boyfriend is also partially red too. I say partially because while his hair color is pretty mouse brown his facial hair is a deep red, he burns instead of tans, and has his share of freckles. I think he's gorgeous and I'm completely attracted to him. It sounds to me like she has been taught to hate herself and she needs to stop doing that, because all it does is make you unhappy. And she needs to dump that jerk of a boyfriend because if he can't love her for her, he's an ass who needs to be left to die alone...

akka naeda
July 12th, 2012, 06:42 AM
*facepalm*

She doesn't have to damage her hair so much with bleaching. She doesn't have to have extensions and a god awful fake tan. She doesn't have to cover herself in inch thick make-up to cover her freckles. And she certainly doesn't have to be dating that plonker :rolleyes:

Yes I'm not the super pale eyelashed type of ginger but I can't count the times I've been told I have beautiful skin and I'm covered in freckles.
Because I'm a redhead.
Yes I do tan really well, probably because my Gran is Chippewa and my other Gran is Romany but to start with my tan is basically my freckles taking over and joining up! :D

I get the feeling this girl would hate herself whatever colour her skin or hair were... unless she was born looking like barbie.

Great work once again from the Daily Hate Mail, publicising idiots who make our nation look like shallow, self pitying bunch of losers.

Exactly.
I had a friend with red hair at school, it wasn't the "orange/bright red" colour (had a friend with that colour hair too), but a dark red which was definitely not brown which looked really striking, especially with green eyes. I guess this means she's not a genuine ginger?:D

Mind you the Daily Fail only does this because it knows it will get itself a large web readership (which this thread has contributed to).

Madora
July 12th, 2012, 06:44 AM
While I can appreciate her hating being bullied for being a ginger, I think she's a few sandwiches short of a picnic for criticizing those "fake" gingers who want that look. Heck, she's a fake blonde who has ruined her hair with relentless bleaching.

Also, that comment about "no eyebrows" was downright hilarious! My maternal grandmother and mother both had red hair...and eyebrows too!

The boyfriend doesn't have all his grey matter. Ugh!

Mesmerise
July 12th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Hmm well I am not a natural redhead, but I am often assumed to be one because I DO have pale skin and freckles!

I've never been particularly teased for it, or anything like that, although after I gave my DD a henna gloss, she was called "Ranga" at school! I laughed :D.

My son came out with the old "Gingers have no souls" the other day... which he'd obviously heard/read on the Internet :rolleyes:. I told him off for being an idiot and he said he was only joking and knew it wasn't true... but he hasn't picked this up from living where we do, more that he just gets too much exposure to rubbish stuff online at times.

I have no idea why someone would be ashamed of being a natural redhead. It's rarer than other colours, for sure, but I always thought that made it more special! I would LOVE it if my hair were naturally red (Instead I have the sucky pale skin and freckle part only lol... at least red hair would be some compensation for that!!).

Anyway, I have heard of redheads being teased, but certainly not bullied for the colour of their hair! It is so weird to me that someone would be bullied to the extent that they'd leave school... it is very sad really, but I wonder if it hadn't been her hair it'd be something else. I don't believe that EVERY child with red hair is bullied mercilessly by their peers!

missdelarocha
July 12th, 2012, 06:53 AM
This is like an episode of Snog Marry Avoid, where people want to be as far from their natural selves as possible and as much like the other people in their group/norm/ideal as can be.

It is beautiful to be yourself, really :(.

auburntressed
July 12th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Well all that fake tanning is working, because I would never have guessed her a natural redhead being as tan as she is.

I find it surprising that she would allow herself to date a man who finds her disgusting. There are plenty of men out there who think natural redheads are the most gorgeous women alive. She needs to find herself one it them. I know they exist even in the UK because my ex was one.

I find the article sad, because I hate seeing people who despise their own appearance. Even people who I personally find ugly, I cringe when they call themselves ugly. I feel like every person should be able to live without hating their own body/face/hair.

I spent a good deal of my childhood wished my hair were paler so that the red color of it would be noticeable enough for people (aka my mom) to stop calling me brunette. Plus, I thought paler hair would compliment the super pale skin and the freckles. Now I'm happy having dark hair. I think it's a nice contrast to the ginger features.

I guess her feelings are not surprising, given how she describes being raised. But I find it so sad that parents would teach their children that they are essentially cursed.

MegaMystery
July 12th, 2012, 07:00 AM
I feel bad for her :( If it's true what is written there she had a really messed up childhood (her mom wishing her sister wouldn't be a redhead etc), and I don't see how she could not turn out like she did :(
As a previous poster said, she needs a shrink.

Othala
July 12th, 2012, 07:10 AM
*facepalm*

Because I'm a redhead.

Well said! LOL.

bumblebums
July 12th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Ah, The Daily Fail. You just don't disappoint.

The prejudice against redheads might be pan-European, actually, not just restricted to the UK. Ever heard the charming expression "I'm gonna beat you like a redheaded stepchild"? I know a few equivalents in other languages.

And here's a 1970's Russian cartoon about a redhead kid being teased. The Russian teasing rhyme translates to "redhead, redhead, freckly face, killed his grandpa with a spade." (sorry, can't rhyme. Grandpa then tells him that he still gets teased by all the babushkas, and then the Sun comes to his defense.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjenNopQ2P8

Ebrox
July 12th, 2012, 07:34 AM
I feel bad for her :( If it's true what is written there she had a really messed up childhood (her mom wishing her sister wouldn't be a redhead etc), and I don't see how she could not turn out like she did :(
As a previous poster said, she needs a shrink.
exactly!! her mom is to blame

Of the Fae
July 12th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Why is she dating a guy that thinks she looks disgusting how she naturally is? I think natural gingers are gorgeous, and being teased is possible for anything that is different. There is nothing wrong with red hair, pale skin and freckles, it's just different is all.
She's ruining her skin and hair just to look normal (and in my perspective I must note she looks quite dull and tacky-and not to mention sad)!
But I'm preaching to the choir :P
I think her mom did a poor job causing her to be so embarrassed of herself. Mom should work out her own issues, not share them with her kids.

Loviatar
July 12th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Poor girl. She needs a good psychologist and a boyfriend who doesn't say hurtful things. But I would guess her self esteem is through the floor so maybe she would hang on to him, I don't know. I would say she chooses to look that way because it's the only way she can bolster her self esteem, i.e. by deliberately not having the hair colour for which she was bullied. She needs to learn to let it go and love herself again, but there has been so much mental damage one way or another that i don't know if she will be able to change. Self-hate is a real habitual cycle and it is so hard to break.

I would not even have said she was ginger in her 'before' photo. Strawberry blonde at the most.

This is the kind of trashy journalism I expect from the Daily Fail. Ghastly little rag.

To the poster who asked if redheads or Irish people were vilified in the UK - no. No more than any other race or people with a certain skin/hair colour would be. Blondes are called stupid and Essex girls; redheads are called 'gingers' or 'ginga' with a hard G (or 'jinners' up North) black haired people get 'goth' or 'freak' shouted at them sometimes - seems like natural brunettes are the only ones who get the easy ride ;)

sakuraemily
July 12th, 2012, 08:23 AM
I feel sorry for her actually. I wish someone would introduce her to henna. She is so much more beautiful in that pic from when she was younger.

ariesfairies
July 12th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Another bullied kid. What I want to say is..
WHAT THE SEVEN HELLS IS WRONG WITH RED HAIR? :thud: I don't get this phenomena! Did I totally miss something?! Also to hear that freckles get taunted the same if not more as acne is crazy - acne is classified a skin disease (hell I have it), and freckles are healthy and fine, and are none different than what all other skin types get from sunlight anyway? Bullying totally healthy individuals, what a riot.

red-again
July 12th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Isn't red hair disliked in the UK because it's associated with the minorities such as the Irish? I heard the Irish are still stigmatized over there.

I've had ginger friends before, they were literally like walking fire. Glowing red everywhere, really cool. They weren't ugly either, some of them were even good looking, no idea where people got the idea that gingers are ugly. I don't see the problem with freckles either.

The Irish tend to be dark haired. It's 'generally' more of a Scottish hair colour.
The Irish aren't stigmatized at all, was just the IRA. Like most religious etc upset it tends to be just the few who cause problems and exclusion for the many.

I have a few friends with various shades of ginger hair, from shiny palest strawberry to brightest fox red. They all, apart from one almost apolosise for being ginger and the one who doesn't is my hubby's cousin and one of five children so he has learnt exactly how to react and stick up for himself!

It is awful in this day and age and quite ironic really as quite a lot of people use auburn box dye or henna to get the very colour that is problematic, seeminly it is ok to become ginger just not be born it!

1nuitblanche
July 12th, 2012, 09:05 AM
I grew up in a place where red hair was nothing to hate. I didn't even hear about the whole "ginger" thing until I was 20. It's weird that people somehow think that it's acceptable to discriminate against people with a certain hair colour.

silverpiper
July 12th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Wow! This girl girl really feels bad about her natural self which is a shame. My cousin has always has a glorious, fabulous, beautiful crown of red hair curly hair. She did get teased in elementary school but who doesn't ? As an adult she reveled in her red hair and it attracted a lot of positive attention- especially from the menfolk!

RedBlue
July 12th, 2012, 09:29 AM
My two step aunts and step grandfather are redheads. They had strawberry blonde hair as babies and it got darker as they matured. My younger aunt doesn't have any freckles, 'invisible eyebrows/ eyelashes, and she can get really tan! At her school, people say she is really pretty because of her red hair! I think she is one of the four redheads at her school. and all of them are considered beautiful for their hair!

I, myself, dye my hair red, because I feel it matches my attitude. My mom tells me I have a nasty attitude and should've been born a redhead instead of a brunette! I get alot of compliments on my red hair, except from my paternal grandparents. They like my natural dark brown color :rolleyes:.

spidermom
July 12th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Poor woman. She needs a psychiatrist.

I was relentlessly bullied through school, and it leaves a mark that never goes away.

leslissocool
July 12th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Honestly this is sad. This is an example of how your parents insecurities are passed down to children. I feel REALLY sorry for her inability to see how beautiful NATURAL redheads are. SHe got taught red hair is something to be ashamed of, and now that's the message she is spreading.

I plan to teach my kids to love themselves for who they are. I am proud of my super dark hair, even though I REALLY love light colored hair and wish I had it, I know my dark hair is beautiful. Funny thing is my daughter has a strawberry-ashy (her hair changes with the weather, summer is lighter and redder and winter is dark and ashy) hair with same texture as mine. I get so many complements on her hair.

In the end, it's the outlook you get taught. I got bullied too, i just dealt with it a lot differently.

redsonjared
July 12th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I am a redhead as is my DS. I saw this article in the daily hatemail and felt sorry for the girl that, as others have pointed out, is dating a complete jerk and has not had the most loving support from her Mum!

I did get teased a bit at school for being a redhead, Duracell and coppernob sort of names. I also got teased for having an unusual surname. Kids tease each other, it happens. My son gets teased but he doesn't get phased by it and refers to himself as the ginger ninja.

Red heads are cool - Dr Who wanted to regenerate as one. It's a shame one persons unfortunate experience gets turned into a "all gingers are freaks and therefore bullied" story.

Ginger Power! :queen:

brave
July 12th, 2012, 09:45 AM
I didn't really get teased about my hair. Someone called me carrot top once as a sort of last ditch effort to make me feel bad, which didn't really work.

The albino eyelashes suck though. I am not a fan of how I look without mascara on. I have light eyebrows, but I've avoided the freckles (saw my dad's and decided it wasn't for me.)

When my mom was at the hospital in labor with me, she jokingly told the nurse that "if it's a redhead I'll flush it". Nurse didn't think it was funny (I was pretty much guaranteed to be ginger thanks to dad).

Tia2010
July 12th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Wow. That girl has some deep issues that no amount of bleach, fake tanner and dyed eyelashes are gonna fix. It's sad she was raised to hate herself.

I'm as pale as a character in Twilight, I freckle in the sun (which I avoid like it was a serial killer) and I have lots of red in my hair (that as a teen I'll admit I wasn't to fond of) sooo...I'm guessing she would hate me :D

She also really needs to dump that boyfriend who finds her disgusting unless she looks nothing like her true self!? WTH?

Tisiloves
July 12th, 2012, 09:55 AM
That's just sad. Not only to have a family that hates itself, but a boyfriend, too.

Also in my experience you're more likely to be a freckly, albino lashed blonde than redhead (but then my family have schizophrenic hair genes, even the brightest red of us has darker brows and lashes).

Mya
July 12th, 2012, 10:10 AM
All that drama on red hair... How exxaggerated! I would have loved to be a natural ginger as a teenager, I really wanted to be different. For years I dyed my hair ginger/strawberry blonde and have always thought it looks good on me, just like it was my natural color. I wish it was!

Mya
July 12th, 2012, 10:13 AM
She also really needs to dump that boyfriend who finds her disgusting unless she looks nothing like her true self!? WTH?
How stupid and spoiled can people be? "Disgusting"? She's just red haired, not some Notre Dame monster.

spirals
July 12th, 2012, 10:46 AM
The only reason the teasing was about her hair was because bullies grab on to the most obvious thing. They don't decide to bully someone because of a feature. They decide to bully someone. Then they find the most obvious feature. That said, this woman needs to get help with her issues. We all have insecurites, and many of us were bullied, but we grew up. What helped me was to realize that people often bully out of jealousy. I can imagine someone bullying a redhead because he secretly wants to stand out like the redhead does. [/armchair psychologist]

pepperminttea
July 12th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Once again the Daily Fail proves that its best use is toilet paper. :rolleyes: For those not acquainted with it, please take it with a massive hunk of salt. Of the things that make me ashamed to be British our beastly newspapers are right up there with redhead hate, football madness, and colonialism.

I hope she dumps the idiot she's with and gets a good psychologist.

GlennaGirl
July 12th, 2012, 11:43 AM
The only reason the teasing was about her hair was because bullies grab on to the most obvious thing. They don't decide to bully someone because of a feature. They decide to bully someone. Then they find the most obvious feature.

^^ This is brilliant. I agree.

Toadstool
July 12th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Yes, the Daily Mail is rubbish.
But a lot of you are criticising this girl needlessly in my opinion. She has low self esteem because she was brought up that her natural looks were ugly, in a country where people ARE bullied for having red hair and pale eyelashes.
If she had anorexia, would you revile her so much?

Henrietta
July 12th, 2012, 02:21 PM
I stopped reading after "Rebeckah, 28, whose boyfriend thinks real redheads are 'disgusting', wants the word ginger banned." Sorry. I really can't.

faellen
July 12th, 2012, 02:24 PM
This reminds me of the Catherine Tate show sketch, with the "ginger refuge" lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUhLIjlTNSk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

misspurdy06
July 12th, 2012, 02:27 PM
It isnt the gene its her mother. She's inherited her mothers opinion. From what I can tell her mother has been ginger bashing since she can remember.

If she were confident about her coloring it wouldn't have been such a button for her. She is beautiful with a lovely figure. I have no doubt she would have done better if her mother helped her like herself more. Instead of instilling in her daughter her hatred for ginger coloring.

caadam
July 12th, 2012, 02:59 PM
My thought is that, she needs to get a better boyfriend—if he can't love her for everything she is, including her genes, then he's not right for her. Just sayin'.

CajunBaby
July 12th, 2012, 03:41 PM
My very first boyfriend/lover was a ginger. Yes an ALBINO skinned, clear eyelashed, bright shocking orange, freckled ginger. And I thought it was HAWT. She needs to dump that zero and find her a man that is turned on by her.

Kaelee
July 12th, 2012, 04:26 PM
The 'Ginger Gene' IS from South Park.

I hate to see such hate spewed by someone...yea, she got picked on, who didn't?

I feel bad for her also.

SwordWomanRiona
July 12th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I have never understood why redheads are so insulted. Why so many people claim that red hair is ugly and disgusting. To each their own, everyone has a right to have their own personal preferences, but they do NOT have the right to state that "red hair is ugly and unattractive and disgusting" like it is a universal truth. It's not. Some people like red hair, some don't. That's it! Stop saying it's ugly and that everyone should think like that, society! That is the reason why Anne of Green Gables bugs me to no end!

Personally, red hair, especially the bright copper variant, is my dream hair. I'd love to have red hair naturally. And I love the pale skin that redheads get. It's, in my view, a particularly gorgeous shining rosy kind of skin. I don0t think freckles are ugly, either, or the eyebrows or eyelashes they get. And the combination of the pale skin + the fiery hair= ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL in my book :)! That and green eyes? Dream appearance!!

Her BF's a git! I'm sorry for her, because she has been victimized by a red-hair-hating society. Being bullied at school is really hard, I've experienced it, and it's very hard. When you're a child, these traumas stay in, and are very hard to deal with. Moreover, she didn't have support at home, they also reviled the colour of her hair, which I think it's outrageous. She had everyone, from her family to the people at school to all people in general insulting and reviling her because of the colour of her hair. That's a very hard experience, and I feel very sorry for her. When everyone tells you that a certain thing about you is ugly, even if it isn't, it stays in. That has happened to me. So I understand that it's so hard for her to accept her red hair. Probably she has come to hate it because of all the bulllying, or at least feels very insecure about it. However, I think she shouldn't hide it, unless she really doesn't fancy red hair (not because society says so, but because of her own preferences). If it isn't because of her personal preferences, I think that a good step towards healing and self-esteem boosting is to brave society and wear her red hair with pride.She isn't helping herself AT ALL covering herself up in make-up, masquerading her natural looks because a bunch of pathetic people have told her it's ugly. I understand that she is wounded, but if she has been bullied all her life because of her red hair, WHY ON EARTH does she get herself involved with a red-hair-hating scumbag? She won't be healed until she begins not to listen to society's stupid prejudices and begin to embrace and reclaim her own appearance.
She should definitely leave a boyfriend that states that red hair is "disgusting", especially knowing that her girlfriend has red hair!

Vampyria
July 12th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I just can't understand people acting like being a redhead is some kind of a curse (especially her family). And humanity is obviously so afraid of everything that is slightly different than they are. In the past red haired people (well women) were considered witches and now they have no soul.

I love red hair and pale skin, and I had a crush on a red head guy when I was in high school. ;) She looked so pretty before she started dyeing her hair, but now she is just another fake blonde with fake tan. People can pick on you for every stupid reason possible. I was teased because my teeth were apparently to white, which I also find totally stupid. When I dyed my hair orange, I got my first hair compliment, and I would love to have that color again, but unfortunately that would require bleaching.

I agree, her boyfriend is a jerk and her mother should teach her how to love not hate herself. If she had at least her family's support things would be a lot different and she probably would't even be with a guy that doesn't like how she really looks like.

spirals
July 12th, 2012, 05:22 PM
If he doesn't like redheads, why is he dating one? I know she's currently blonde, but she's still a redhead. It reminds me of the guy who told me if only I'd work out I'd have guys all over me, and then continually asked me out. If I was too fat for him, why did he keep asking me out? I don't get it.

jeanniet
July 12th, 2012, 05:29 PM
She looks lovely as her true self, and fake as a blonde. I feel sorry for her--and she could use a new boyfriend, too! :mad:

vindo
July 12th, 2012, 05:43 PM
I would hear her say, "Please God, let the second one escape the ginger"'.

Like its a disease...weird problem going on there.

I think redheads are beautiful, including their pale skin, freckles and light eye lashes.

lizdini
July 12th, 2012, 05:44 PM
that chick needs therapy. and a new boyfriend.

Eirelin
July 12th, 2012, 07:41 PM
I don't watch those silly reality shows, but if you read some of the comments on the article, she is apparently a difficult person to like and her personality may be more of a problem than her hair and complexion, which then leads to speculation as to her motive for even giving the interview. Granted, her family (especially the mother) need a complete attitude adjustment and the boyfriend just needs to be dumped, but you really have to wonder about her.

Ligeia_13
July 13th, 2012, 07:07 AM
"Blue skin" ?

Where? :confused:

SwordWomanRiona
July 13th, 2012, 08:36 AM
"Blue skin" ?

Where? :confused:

She's maybe referring to the blue veins that can be seen if one's skin is very pale and, thus, more trasluscent in places?

But hey, I have pale skin with blue veins showing through too, and I am (unfortunately) not a redhead! So :confused:

noot
July 13th, 2012, 08:54 AM
I too was teased as a child as children taunted "I'd rather be dead than Red on the Head" or "What happened to you? Did you swallow a dollar and break out in pennies?" Then I'd go home to parents who praised me for carrying the Celtic Genger Gene of my grandmother so I learned to put up with the teasing. Now that I'm in my 50's I totoally embrace my red hair and all that comes with it, freckles, easily burning skin, (I live in Fl) and very light eyebrows and eyelashes. I think to myself, this is the way God made me and he doesn't make junk. Besides now at 50, freckles across my nose and red hair set me apart from those without the ginger gene. I think the girl in the newspaper article has some real insecurities and her Ginger Gene is the least of her problems. Thank goodness we aren't living in medevial times as I've read we would have been thought of as witches. I just love Prince Harry's Ginger Hair.

Unofficial_Rose
July 13th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Poor girl. She needs a good psychologist and a boyfriend who doesn't say hurtful things. But I would guess her self esteem is through the floor so maybe she would hang on to him, I don't know. I would say she chooses to look that way because it's the only way she can bolster her self esteem, i.e. by deliberately not having the hair colour for which she was bullied. She needs to learn to let it go and love herself again, but there has been so much mental damage one way or another that i don't know if she will be able to change. Self-hate is a real habitual cycle and it is so hard to break.

I would not even have said she was ginger in her 'before' photo. Strawberry blonde at the most.

This is the kind of trashy journalism I expect from the Daily Fail. Ghastly little rag.

To the poster who asked if redheads or Irish people were vilified in the UK - no. No more than any other race or people with a certain skin/hair colour would be. Blondes are called stupid and Essex girls; redheads are called 'gingers' or 'ginga' with a hard G (or 'jinners' up North) black haired people get 'goth' or 'freak' shouted at them sometimes - seems like natural brunettes are the only ones who get the easy ride ;)

Naah! We are considered 'boring'. ;)

I wouldn't necessarily believe that the words in the article are completely her own, either. The DM's editorial staff rewrite interviews in their entirety sometimes. People have even sued them over this, for twisting/falsifying what the person has said and ruining their reputation.

DM is just a comic really, albeit a nasty misogynistic comic. Strangely enough its demographic is largely female, and what to make of that I really don't know...having said that I have just spent a good 15 minutes checking out the Sidebar of Shame, so I guess that makes me a hypocrite.

riceball
July 13th, 2012, 09:13 AM
I don't mean to be insensitive, but a lot of people get bullied and teased for a lot of things. Try being an overweight person of color in a predominantly white middle class school. Not a picnic in the park either. I used to want to be thin and white so bad but over time I just learned to deal with not fitting in with everyone else and being my own person.

I feel sad for that girl because what she has is very striking and unique. And kids will find anything to bully you about, but I think sometimes it makes you stronger when you learn to stand up for yourself.

MonaMayfair
July 13th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Well you can hardly blame her for hating red hair if she's been teased and bullied for it for most of her life. and I think "ginger" is an insulting word too, that's how it's invariably used in this country.

And, I have to say, there's been a hell of a lot of rudeness in this thread about "fake" bleached blonde hair and fake tan. I don't go in for either of those things, but I'm certainly not a fan of "natural" either, so I think if she wants to present herself like that, good luck to her (I've no idea who she is incidentally, I didn't even know Big Brother was on TV any more!)

I know a lot of people on this forum like red hair (I used to like it myself, now I more-or-less loathe it because I'm stuck with growing out henna - which I'm covering with dark brown temporary dyes) but there IS a lot of prejudice against it.
Actually, even when I liked having henna'd hair, I never felt like a redhead, only a blonde with dyed hair. I never let people think it was my natural color.
Red hair was just something I needed to get out of my system, like when I got colored contacts because I'd always wanted brown eyes.

Of course, the actual article is stupid, but so is everything else in that paper, it's patronizing nonsense.

Vampyria
July 13th, 2012, 10:07 AM

Maybe, if they (we) don't have curly hair. At least in my childhood curls weren't really popular feature. Then you were called a sheep or a clown.

MsBubbles
July 13th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Somehow before even clicking open this thread, I knew it would have to be a Daily Mail article (not picking on you, OP. I go there too! :o)

Quenhilde
July 13th, 2012, 10:27 AM
I don't think that the UK is any more prejudiced against redheads than anywhere else really. Its just being hyped up in that article because a few of our less reputable rags have been harping on about redheads since it was made a big deal out of on a cartoon show (South Park).
Before that, (and outside of those few newspapers and their devotees) its not really any more of an issue than children bulling someone because of their skin tone, glasses, or anything else. Children are cruel and will always find a way to make the life of anyone that is slightly different a total misery.
When I was at school, I had several close friends that were very bright ginger haired and I adored it. None of them were ever bullied at our school or unhappy about it, although one of them did prefer darker hair and planned to dye hers when she was older. It wasn't for being teased though. Red haired children weren't particularly uncommon in our school so I guess it didn't stand out as much.
I was bullied a lot at school because as a child my lips were quite large. Endless daily taunts of "rubber lips" or much nastier comments were thrown at me, and nothing at my ginger haired friends. I was the one that stood out.
Ironically, the same children that bullied me in school are the ones now paying for endless treatments to plump up their lips to ridiculous proportions.

Anje
July 13th, 2012, 12:02 PM
$50 says that 95% of the teasing she endured was because she thought so badly about herself rather than because of coloring. Kids are like weakness-seeking missiles, and someone with that much self-loathing is an obvious target.

Also, apparently I'm not a real ginger despite my bright red hair as a child.

Nedertane
July 13th, 2012, 12:39 PM
At first, I was really annoyed by this woman's ignorance - how she says there's only one type of "real" redhead, with pale skin and freckles, and "albino" lashes and brows (another thing I can't stand is misusage of that word, save for joking situations, anyway). Does she not know that redheads also exist in Africa and Asia, and do not have pale skin with freckles?

But as I read more about how her family treated the idea of red hair, and how her boyfriend thought she looked as a child, I felt very sorry for her. Though I do at least partly agree with Anje, that kids likely targeted her because she had low self esteem to begin with, it's not her fault that she took their comments to heart.

But I hope this woman can find some more supportive people in her life who love not just her coloring, but her mind and personality. Though being on a reality show like "Big Brother" is likely not going to help in that department. Maybe she could come to LHC, where we'd help her appreciate her natural color and help her rid herself of her extensions and damage. :o

Unofficial_Rose
July 13th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Quote 'Rebeckah, who dyes her hair blonde in sessions costing thousands of pounds every year'.

Erm, who exactly is her stylist that the cost runs into thousands? :eek:

Lady Neeva
July 13th, 2012, 01:06 PM
The article annoys me to no ends.

Kyla
July 13th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Everything I've ever read on the dailymail is overdramatic and awful, so I don't really pay attention to it. :p If what this woman has said is true to her original opinions, that is sad. She may have been bullied in school for that stupid reason, but that does not mean she is somehow inherently ugly, as she makes it out to be. Her boyfriend is awful, to say the least as well.

Also, she got so much wrong with the wannabe scientific info I cringed.

There are many different types of beauty, including natural red-head beauty. What is the point of prosecuting it like this...? I don't understand.

SerinaDaith
July 13th, 2012, 01:48 PM
As the article says if it's not your hair it's something else, I was teased and bullied because I was always the new kid, I was never the socially adept military brat, I hated moving because it meant that the one or two friends I had made would be gone and I would have to start all over again, I have a hard time making attachments that last longer than four years because aside from my family the longest friendships I ever had were four years, I call it the four year itch, I am attached to my family and my husband but most anyone else is kept at arms length or better.

palaeoqueen
July 13th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Quote 'Rebeckah, who dyes her hair blonde in sessions costing thousands of pounds every year'.

Erm, who exactly is her stylist that the cost runs into thousands? :eek:

She could easily be paying £100 per month for her cut and colour. Knowing the Daily Hate though it could just as easily be a figure plucked out of nowhere.

Micayla47
July 13th, 2012, 04:35 PM
i know children bully each other and people have prejudices, but red hair??? come on! natural red hair is gorgeous! people pay a lot of money and go to a lot of time and trouble to get their hair red or strawberry blond or auburn. and the "boyfriend"? dump him asap! i personally know several men who love love love natural redheads.

alwayssmiling
July 13th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Its sad. My daughter (13) told me today that everyone she knows who is ginger/red head has dyed their hair (except the boys). So young for girls to be having such a negative self image of something that is actually lovely...what's gone wrong? :( I couldn't bear the thought of my daughter wanting to change something physical about herself at this age.

squiggyflop
July 13th, 2012, 05:50 PM
around here its only the boys with red hair who have a hard time,, and that usually starts in the locker room with jokes about hair that is not on the head.

my brother has bright orange curly thick hair, and i would trade him in a heartbeat.. my own hair has a red core when viewed through a microscope so i believe its very likely that i may have a ginger child. people think my hair is natural because i am freckly and pale (they say "oh but you have redhead coloring!").

Mya
July 13th, 2012, 06:22 PM
At least in my childhood curls weren't really popular feature. Then you were called a sheep or a clown.
Or bush. :D

CurlyCurves
July 13th, 2012, 06:36 PM
OT, but my co-worker has the most beautiful, thick 1a/b red hair. I am obsessed with it.

I tend to notice that most gingers have thick and healthy hair. Love it.

CurlyCurves
July 13th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Knowing the Daily Hate though it could just as easily be a figure plucked out of nowhere.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

kallarina
July 13th, 2012, 09:18 PM
I'm sorry, but am I the only one who thinks this is completely ridiculous concocted crap? You can see her roots in both pictures. And in neither picture do they look remotely "ginger". She doesn't have a freckle to be seen in her "before" picture. She doesn't even look super pale in her childhood picture. I'm not even sure I believe that this girl is a redhead.
Instead of wasting all you time and energy being setting you're not, how about loving yourself for the unique person you are?
My sister is a redhead, and I'm so proud to say that she accepts it and gives "gingers" a good name. Redheads are lovely, and IF this girl is even actually a redhead, she's making it worse for other redheads, and tarnishing the name of "ginger".

Five of Five
July 13th, 2012, 09:30 PM
You're not the only one; I thought she looked positively tanned and blonde in her childhood picture :confused:.

I am really hoping it is just an attempt to stir up controversy, otherwise it is a really sad story.

Elithia
July 13th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Or bush. :D

Or Hermione :D

(But that's not really an insult at all.) :)

Elanadi
July 13th, 2012, 11:39 PM
The only reason the teasing was about her hair was because bullies grab on to the most obvious thing. They don't decide to bully someone because of a feature. They decide to bully someone. Then they find the most obvious feature. That said, this woman needs to get help with her issues. We all have insecurites, and many of us were bullied, but we grew up. What helped me was to realize that people often bully out of jealousy. I can imagine someone bullying a redhead because he secretly wants to stand out like the redhead does. [/armchair psychologist]

THIS^^.

I was bullied mercilessly in school, including being followed home, threatened, and beat up, and I don't have red hair. Who knows why my bullies hated me, but being poor, wearing glasses, and having acne were things they would torture me about. They bullied other kids for being overweight, being the first to have boobs, being a slut (in the fifth grade, really????). Kids are evil, and parents should support their kids against that, and instill in them a sense of confidence with who they are.

I live in Los Angeles, and fake blondes with tans and a ton of makeup with the Hollywood look are a dime a dozen here. Why anyone wants to look like Generic Barbie is beyond me.

juliaxena
July 14th, 2012, 01:28 AM
Poor girl. I hope someday somehow she gets help and therapy to stop the self hatered.

maborosi
July 14th, 2012, 01:53 AM
Lol the Daily Mail.

But seriously, I definitely don't want to sound uneducated or make assumptions, but I'd actually heard that bullying redheaded kids was a bigger problem in the UK than here in the US where I live. I mean, people where I am would joke in passing about a kid with red hair, but nothing like extreme bullying that I've heard about. Is it because a lot of kids with red hair are of Iriah descent?

~maborosi~

Unofficial_Rose
July 14th, 2012, 03:13 AM
I would be surprised if anyone in the UK is bullied at school for being of Irish descent, tbh. Not these days, anyway - maybe 50/60 years ago?

SwordWomanRiona
July 14th, 2012, 03:45 AM
Redheads are lovely, and IF this girl is even actually a redhead, she's making it worse for other redheads, and tarnishing the name of "ginger".

That is true. I'm still sorry for her, but by making all this bad publicity about redheads, she's actually making it worse for the rest of redheaded people who don't feel ashamed about their red hair...As if we needed more anti-red-hair prejudices :(.

jacqueline101
July 14th, 2012, 07:01 AM
I agree she needs to leave the boy friend that puts her down. She needs mental help of some type.

LaFlor
July 14th, 2012, 07:32 AM
The whole bit about the ginger gene is not true.

I know a Mexican family that had 3 of their 4 children come out as redheads.
The little girl in particular has beautiful red hair, but she also has tan skin and dark eyelashes, no freckles. They have strong Mexican roots, so they aren't going to just come out like white people because of some gene that was passed down from some grandma from generations ago. It just affected their hair color :shrug:

That said, I do feel bad that she was bullied for redhair, but kids will always find things to target someone about. So if there is anything that makes you stand out... they will go for it.

MintChocChip
July 14th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Daily Mail! What a surprise...

In my opinion, redheads have the most beautiful hair colour. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with pale eyelashes, fair skin and freckles! She is doing a disservice to gingers/redheads! It is upsetting that she was bullied for her red hair but I think she may need to speak to a counsellor of some sort. What the hell is she doing with that boyfriend too? How sad. :(