PDA

View Full Version : Why I don't brush

spirals
July 12th, 2012, 01:26 AM
Sometimes it comes out nice, but usually I get this: http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/5562/securedownloadmid200167.jpg :p

spirals
July 12th, 2012, 01:31 AM
Sorry it's so big. I don't know how to fix that.

Madora
July 12th, 2012, 07:18 AM
If you're concerned about static/poufiness when you brush, do you follow each swipe of the brush with the palm of your other hand? This really helps to cut the static made by the brush.

GrowingGlory
July 12th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Maybe you could mist it lightly after brushing.

proo
July 12th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Looks pretty dang good to me.

ariesfairies
July 12th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Maybe because you're a curly :P

My hair looks just like this when I brush it. I only brush it when I'm putting it up in a hairstyle, then just leave it be natural otherwise.

spirals
July 12th, 2012, 10:57 AM
It is because I'm a curly. No amout of hand-smoothing is going to get it to lay down. :D A whole lotta oil will, though. I just thought the curlies would appreciate the pic.

spirals
July 12th, 2012, 10:58 AM
BTW, I love how perfectly-formed your curls are. :) TBL is my goal, too, maybe classic.

heidi w.
July 12th, 2012, 11:05 AM
This is why curly and wavy haired folks should not brush. Brushing separates the coiled loops of curl, and this is why that poof happens. Not fun.

Combing or finger combing is recommended instead. And for this hair type, CO hair washing is recommended. Curly haired folks can acquire the book Curly Girl as a starter kit to accepting and enjoying your hair type.....it shows how to CO wash different curl/wave levels. Two specific ways with a major difference, whether or not to do this on the length only and when to also CO wash the scalp related hair. It might help to know that sulfates are not recommended for wavy/curly haired folks either, as this apparently dulls and limps out the curl somewhat.....

heidi w.

heidi w.
July 12th, 2012, 11:07 AM
It is because I'm a curly. No amout of hand-smoothing is going to get it to lay down. :D A whole lotta oil will, though. I just thought the curlies would appreciate the pic.

Curlies do better oiling while wet. For one, they can use a bit less. Oiling when hair is dry is generally not helpful for curly haired folks and yes, they need a mountain of oil if they oil when dry.....

heidi w.

embee
July 12th, 2012, 11:07 AM
There's a wonderful thread on curlies brushing and showing the "POOF!" - maybe someone will remember the name, it was hilarious. :)

Personally, I think your hair looks nice - mine is very thin, fine, and straight. The poof and body you have make me envious! ;)

heyshortyhey
July 12th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Looks pretty dang good to me.

Seconded! I think it looks lovely :)

spirals
July 12th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Aww. I do remember seeing that thread. There have been some at NC.com, too. Hilarity.

Amarante
July 12th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Curlies do better oiling while wet. For one, they can use a bit less. Oiling when hair is dry is generally not helpful for curly haired folks and yes, they need a mountain of oil if they oil when dry.....

heidi w.

You are so right! I've begun using my almond oil while my hair is damp, it makes such a difference! So much better than trying to get it evenly applied when my hair is dry.

CurlyCap
July 12th, 2012, 05:08 PM
I saw your avatar says 2c/3a.

Sweetie, the fact that you can brush your hair at all means your curly hair is AWESOME and incredibly FORGIVING.

As a curly, I think your brush out looks amazing. Since your a 2c, I wonder if you could brush out on day 1 and maybe oil and bun overnight to get it flatter?

I doubt as a wavy/curly that you'll ever be able to brush your hair into immediate flatness. But I bet you could tame it over the course of a couple of days using heatless straightening techniques.

dwell_in_safety
July 12th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Mine looked a lot like that for yeeaaaars before I joined LHC. *shudder* It was perpetual, because I thought combs wouldn't get through my hair. I only tried using fine-toothed combs, because that's what my mother had for her straight hair.