PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for hairstyle for 48-hr train journey needed!

Diamondbell
July 12th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Hi - I just need suggestions for a good hairstyle for traveling for 48 hours by train! :) I have thought of crownbraid etc. But I would like to know if anyone has traveled wearing a particular hairstyle without having to comb it out till the journey's end... And also if it helped in not shedding. Thanks.

auburntressed
July 12th, 2012, 01:03 AM
I am not sure there are any hairstyles that I would be able to go 48 hours without combing out without having my hair looking a terrible sight by the end. My hair gets fuzzy looking sometimes after just an 8 hour shift at work when I do nothing but sit at a desk.

But I think I'd pick the Heidi braids for what you are doing. That way you can lean your head back against the seat without any discomfort, and your hair is still protected.

Diamondbell
July 12th, 2012, 01:18 AM
Thanks, yes probably not a good idea to have the hair uncombed for so long! Otherwise it could get matted. Thanks for the Heidi Braids suggestion...

torrilin
July 12th, 2012, 06:00 AM
I'm trying to figure out why you want a special style? There are showers and such on long distance trains. You can wash your hair or redo it if you want or would normally.

I don't usually try to achieve the height of benign neglect on train trips. They're fun! I have an excuse to dress for dinner!

Patty lou
July 12th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Heidi Braids pinned up across the top of your head or 2 braided buns again up high.

Patti Lou.

bumblebums
July 12th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Well, I haven't tried it myself, but Torrin Paige says that Elizabethan hair taping holds for a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbAdvL8kME

Madora
July 12th, 2012, 07:03 AM
How about a 2 strand lace crown braid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Of course it will get frizzy after 48 hours, but should be comfortable enough to sleep in.

You'll definitely have some shed hair after taking it down..that's a given since you haven't been able to brush/comb it during the duration of your train journey.

Demi-Plum
July 12th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Well, I haven't tried it myself, but Torrin Paige says that Elizabethan hair taping holds for a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbAdvL8kME

I've done her hair taping more than once. It does hold quite well if you have long enough hair. My hair is thin and fine and it kept it up all day.

MegaMystery
July 12th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Habioku did a video on this, she actually did it specifically for a train ride so maybe this would work for you as well: Woven braids (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tQ5W0uI-2Y&feature=plcp)

Zesty
July 12th, 2012, 07:12 AM
You could do a style like heidi braids and then put a scarf or something over it to keep it from getting too noticeably fuzzy, if you're set on not redoing a style. But in my experience, long train/plane trips make it easy to restyle your hair because you're not doing anything else, your hands are free, you're just sitting there.

Paranda Belle
July 12th, 2012, 07:19 AM
I've managed to sleep in a braided beehive and a rope braided vortex bun. Once they are pinned properly into place they don't tend to move. As the are close to the head they are comfortable to sleep on and don't get too frizzy, especially if you oil it before hand. And they are not uncomfortable if you ant to lean back on a head rest.

WaitingSoLong
July 12th, 2012, 08:21 AM
I'm trying to figure out why you want a special style? There are showers and such on long distance trains. You can wash your hair or redo it if you want or would normally.

I don't usually try to achieve the height of benign neglect on train trips. They're fun! I have an excuse to dress for dinner!

THIS is what I was going to say. :D

sakuraemily
July 12th, 2012, 08:27 AM
I think a bun would be the best idea. If it got ruined you can always fix it with the least effort.

white.chocolate
July 12th, 2012, 03:43 PM
How about a logroll held with a claw clip? You could always redo it quite easily.

Beatnik Guy
July 12th, 2012, 03:55 PM

Although I agree that long distance train travel in India is fun, I can also confirm that there are not such facilities, even in the higher fare classes. :cool:

CurlyCurves
July 12th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Two french flat twists? :)

WaitingSoLong
July 12th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Although I agree that long distance train travel in India is fun, I can also confirm that there are not such facilities, even in the higher fare classes. :cool:

India? Did I miss something?

At any rate (no pun intended) I can redo my hair without anything...a mirror or whatnot, just sitting in my seat. Detangling IS another issue, surely there are at least restrooms? I don't live in Indian but I have not seen a non-commuter train without restrooms.

jacqueline101
July 12th, 2012, 08:54 PM
I'd say crown braids and a scarf over your head.

MissManda
July 12th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Habioku did a video on this, she actually did it specifically for a train ride so maybe this would work for you as well: Woven braids (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tQ5W0uI-2Y&feature=plcp)

I recommend this style as well. :) I have worn it a few times now for 24-48 hours and the updo will not budge while sleeping or doing intense workouts (Insanity). I braided my hair when it was very damp, so it even managed to stay reasonably smooth after sleeping on it.

My second suggestion would be Heidi braids because they would be easier to sleep in since they don't take up the back of your head.

dulce
July 12th, 2012, 10:25 PM
How about a braid over one shoulder in front so you don't lean your back against it?I have just suffered a series of retinal detachments lately requiring emergency eye surgeries to save my sight , I had to go on complete bed rest,no showers,no baths,no brushing my hair or teeth , no moving around at all,no restyling my hair for over a week at a time till the laser surgery formed scar tissue to securely reglue my retina.This style was comfortable for me on total bedrest and held my almost hip length hair well.

swearnsue
July 13th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Bring your satin pillowcase with you to lay on the headrest.

dulce
July 13th, 2012, 05:08 PM
An easier style is to pull all your hair over one shoulder in front and add soft fuzzy scrunchies down the length,comfortable,fast and easy to redo,and since it's in front ,neither the back of your head or your back is rubbing against it causing frizz.

lapushka
July 13th, 2012, 06:04 PM
I think I'd go with a side braid. :)

MissCoco
July 13th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I'd go with a side braid as well. Simply, easy to re-do, doesn't get in the way and holds well at the same time. Have a safe journey! :)

Diamondbell
July 27th, 2012, 03:50 AM
Hi - you all have been too kind with your suggestions. Yes, Beatnik Guy was right that i meant an Indian train since I am located in India. the trip was OK. I did the two braided Heidi braid and wore a scarf. Later I did remove it (with difficulty) since I was on the upper berth, where you can't really sit comfortably. You can only sit half-bent. I combed the hair and then wore a folded braid with ficcare. :cheese: But a braided beehive would have been fun too Paranda Belle! :)