PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo only washing?

joflakes
July 12th, 2012, 12:38 AM
So, I have done a search on this and can't find anything!

Does this exist? Does anyone do it?

I'm interested!

Thinking about going SLS-free shampoo only with the occasional SMT type treatment. My hair doesn't seem to need conditioner and it builds up all on my scalp and hair!

earthnut
July 12th, 2012, 01:04 AM
Yeah, I did shampoo-only all through high school. My hair was a terrible, matted, frizzy mess! I've never had any chemical treatments, but my hair is still damaged from those years of shampoo-only.

You might be able to get away with it if your hair is very non-porous. You may only need a light conditioner or occasional conditioner.

But since hair is dead and doesn't oil itself, you need to add oil or moisturizers to it somehow. Otherwise your hair can get quite dry and damaged. Even no-water and water-only routines include a lot of massage to encourage the natural scalp oil (sebum) to get onto the hair shaft.

Silicones are usually the ingredient in conditioners that build up on hair. Oils and quats can also build up on hair. If you're sensitive to protein, your hair will get stiff when it has too much protein. The mildest surfactants in shampoos are glucosides, cocoamphodiacetates, and disodium laureth sulfosuccinate. The harshest surfactants are sulfates and sulfonates.

joflakes
July 12th, 2012, 01:19 AM
Yeah, I did shampoo-only all through high school. My hair was a terrible, matted, frizzy mess! I've never had any chemical treatments, but my hair is still damaged from those years of shampoo-only.

You might be able to get away with it if your hair is very non-porous. You may only need a light conditioner or occasional conditioner.

But since hair is dead and doesn't oil itself, you need to add oil or moisturizers to it somehow. Otherwise your hair can get quite dry and damaged. Even no-water and water-only routines include a lot of massage to encourage the natural scalp oil (sebum) to get onto the hair shaft.

Silicones are usually the ingredient in conditioners that build up on hair. Oils and quats can also build up on hair. If you're sensitive to protein, your hair will get stiff when it has too much protein. The mildest surfactants in shampoos are glucosides, cocoamphodiacetates, and disodium laureth sulfosuccinate. The harshest surfactants are sulfates and sulfonates.

Haha...that doesn't sound good!

A good point well made. This probably explains why I didn't find anything.

I'm not sure about protein, I don't tend to use protein enriched products.

I'll try to find a SLS-free shampoo and a light conditioner and see how I go. Maybe the key is reduce rather than eliminate?!

spirals
July 12th, 2012, 01:37 AM
There was a no-conditioner thread last week. I was looking for it earlier, but couldn't find it. I think the general consensus was oil instead of conditioner (damp oiling, I mean.)

Kizuna
July 12th, 2012, 02:57 AM
When I used schampoo only last year my hair went nuts. It tangeled like crazy and was static all the time. This was the reason to why I got interested in hair care, cause I felt I needed to do something good for it. Now I use condition only. Though, my sister in law only uses schampoo (Head and shoulders) and no conditioner. It seems to work fine for her, but she washes it almost every day. If she doesn't it quickly looks stringy and a bit fatty (according to her).
You could always try and see how you like it. :)

prettykitty
July 12th, 2012, 03:53 AM
When I was young (12 or 13, I think) I used to use a dandruff shampoo only, I didn't condition because I thought it made my hair greasy, and then rip through the tangles with a ball tip brush while it was wet. Eeeek.
I could do shampoo only, but yeah, I'd have to oil before and after, and I think I'd have a very hard time detangling.

Sweetflower
July 12th, 2012, 04:02 AM
I did this a long long time. I didnt mind at that time because i didnt know any different. But now i'm really into cone-free conditioner and using henna i really know that it really damaged my hair. So much frizz and an ugly color.. not shiny.. blegh! So much tangles, i really was brushing for half and hour and that was really fast.

Well.. thats my experience with it haha.. maybe it works for you?

Vampyria
July 12th, 2012, 05:02 AM
Depends on the shampoo I think. I have SLS and SLES free shampoo and I don't really need conditioner for detangling, but I still use it because my hair likes moisture. Although it feels a little coated lately.

Once I bought a shampoo for damaged hair from the brand I use, and it had two different oils in it. I just shampooed once and it left my hair pretty greasy, but really nourished. When I shampooed twice I seemed alright, but I had to wash my hair again two days later. Well I always used conditioner on my ends after, because they were damaged and drier than the rest of the hair.

SilverDoe
July 12th, 2012, 05:06 AM
If I use a very moisturizing SLS free shampoo Like Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream, I can go without conditioner. Though it's a bit too moisturizing for my roots in the long run, and I prefer CO washing.

Amanah
July 12th, 2012, 05:19 AM
you could also try shampooing the scalp and just putting conditioner on the ends from the ears down, keeping the conditioner off your scalp.

IndigoOptimist
July 12th, 2012, 05:35 AM
I did it a couple of years ago, in an attempt to stop my hair from being greasy the day after washing. Someone had also told me that conditioner made your hair more lightly to be static so I stopped using it for a month or two. It didn't work, my hair was less static-y, but more fly away. It also tangled like anything and gave up. It still got greasy the day after washing to!
This year I did CO right through the time when my hair is normally prone to static (Feb - May) and... it was fine! Great, NO static what so ever, which has never happened in my life, so the girl who told me that it was conditioner making my hair stick to everything was WRONG :)

red-again
July 12th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Joflakes, a really good sls-free shampoo is the Weleda one. Even the condish is lovely. Lots of others I've used have resulted in flat hair which needs washing more often so no extra benefit overall on a harsher, less frequently needed shampoo.
When my hair is virgin and I am hennaing often, I can do without conditioner totally. I only need to wash once a week then too, so my hair gets its own natural moisture from my scalp.

joflakes
July 12th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Thanks all. I tried it today with shampoo only and before I did an avocado and olive oil treatment. My hair did not like the treatment at all! Ah well...live and learn!

Joflakes, a really good sls-free shampoo is the Weleda one. Even the condish is lovely. Lots of others I've used have resulted in flat hair which needs washing more often so no extra benefit overall on a harsher, less frequently needed shampoo.
When my hair is virgin and I am hennaing often, I can do without conditioner totally. I only need to wash once a week then too, so my hair gets its own natural moisture from my scalp.

Thanks! I'll have a look.

Got my eye on this one:
http://www.weleda.co.uk/baby-bath-care/calendula-shampoo+bodywash-200ml/invt/105001/
It's the only one that is vegan friendly on their site but luckily it looks awesome...and I can wash in it too! Bonus. Although at that price I'm not sure I will, haha! :lol:

sumidha
July 12th, 2012, 11:53 AM
I can kind of take or leave conditioner, in favor of coconut oil on damp hair.

Bunnysaur
July 12th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I just use a moisturizing shampoo bar, and I don't seem to need conditioner.

Lady Neeva
July 12th, 2012, 12:43 PM
I do this, mainly b/c of my greasy scalp. Then it's a matter of cones and no cones. (No cones-wash the next day, Cones-two or more)

Scarlet_Heart
July 12th, 2012, 01:27 PM
I can kind of take or leave conditioner, in favor of coconut oil on damp hair.

Mmmm... this. I used regular shampoo (Suave - lavender lilac) the other night to try to get chlorine out of my hair from a pool (I usually do bs/acv). I followed it up with a good amount of coconut oil and my hair was so soft and nice the next day.

joflakes
July 12th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Thank you everyone! I love coconut oil so I may try shampoo, then oil.

swearnsue
July 12th, 2012, 02:08 PM
You could try adding a tiny bit of coconut oil to your shampoo by mixing in a cup right before you shampoo and then you may not need conditioner. I tried the oil shampoo method but couldn't get the hang of it. It's easier to just use conditioner, but diluted works good and you are using less that way.

twopoints
July 12th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Once your hair gets longer, you can try scalp washes http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=85

I usually do shampoo-only washes. However I make a mid-ponytail and wrap the length and ends around my left hand without braiding. I still do full washes (shampoo & conditioner) occasionally when I feel my hair is difficult to detangle.

natural_shine
July 12th, 2012, 02:30 PM
So, I have done a search on this and can't find anything!

Does this exist? Does anyone do it?

I'm interested!

Thinking about going SLS-free shampoo only with the occasional SMT type treatment. My hair doesn't seem to need conditioner and it builds up all on my scalp and hair!

It works just fine only with sulfate and a lot of cones shampoos. When I'm getting lazy I reach to my "Dove repair and shine" or "Dove color repair " (the normal one, just "repair", not "repair therapy). I don;t have damaged or dyed hair, but if I only use shampoo, these work great, no need for any condish or other alternative "goos for shine".

white.chocolate
July 12th, 2012, 02:57 PM
This is what I'm doing... for now. Whenever I use a conditioner, my hair becomes unmanageable - either static or it feels too oily. I use a sulfate-free shampoo, and this is mild enough for my hair. I compensate with oil as a leave-in instead, and I like how sleek it becomes. In short, I'm happy with my routine so far. As a suggestion, have you tried using mineral oil in place of a conditioner? I don't use mineral oil but there is a large thread here on it with a lot of positive comments from people.