PDA

View Full Version : Waves/wurls and tangles

julliams
July 11th, 2012, 11:54 PM
For those with waves/wurls - is there any way to maintain waves/wurls and also deal with tangles?

It could be because my hair is very dry at the moment but I've been finding that my hair is tangling more and more lately. I'm one inch from BCL and have tried clarifying and oiling but I don't feel I'm getting anywhere. I've been cutting off the splits alot lately and I do feel I'm getting on top of them, but then my hair gets tangly again and I think this is causing more splitting. Perhaps it's just time for another trim?

I like to wear my hair wavy but then I can't have them and no tangles because being tangle -free involves combing and brushing which in turn brushes the waves out.

I'm just wondering if I'm missing something or if this is my lot?

I'm just editing to add that tangles have not really been a problem for me in the past. I'm the person who didn't own a brush for years and would just comb out in the shower. i can't work out if it's a length thing now that it's so much longer or if it's a texture thing.

Vanilla
July 11th, 2012, 11:56 PM
I have very tangly hair. The only things that seem to help is clarifying, and using mineral oil after a wash.

jeanniet
July 12th, 2012, 12:08 AM
I'm about the same length as you, and I have to comb my hair. The tangles are dreadful (lol) otherwise. I'd like to enhance the curl with the CurlyGirl method, but I just can't do without daily combing, and I don't wash every day. So I comb, and live with the loss of curl. If you comb and then spray lightly with water (or whatever you spray with) and scrunch, you should get back at least some of the lost curl.

If you haven't clarified recently, it wouldn't hurt. Then you'll know for sure if it's dryness or buildup. I'm finding that I need much more moisturizing conditioner at this length, and I use a leave in as well.

sycamoreboutiqu
July 12th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Are you doing CO or regular SC ?

I am just past BC now with thick and wurly hair (not enough to be curly and not always defined waves) and despite it getting longer, I have been getting better and better in the snarl department by doing the following.

Note: I only wear my hair down at home, not out and about in wind and such so that could be a factor.
At this length I am afraid of getting caught in doors, chairs etc or some other hair catastrophe that I wouldn't want to endure in public.
Besides, it is summer here and darned hot so no hair down the back and butt in this heat. I take it down sometimes for awhile late in the day and enjoy the evening breeze outdoors.

CO with cheap/thin conditioner (lots of it - left on for 10-30 min)
Condition with a rich condish - leave some in at the end of the rinse
Jojoba/Argan oil on dripping wet hair
Mineral Oil on dry hair

earthnut
July 12th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Moisture moisture moisture.

The last time I had hair this long I had dreadful tangles. But I also had no clue how to take care of my hair and my hair was very dry. This time I can run my fingers through my hair at any time and have no tangles. (except maybe after my hair has been blown about by wind a lot) My hair is much much more moisturized, I never comb or brush (not even in the shower), and I wear my hair down most of the time. Really the only thing that has changed is my washing routine. Last time, I only used shampoo. This time I've used mostly or only conditioner. I attribute my lack of tangles to greater moisture, due to using much more conditioner than I used to.

I recommend deep conditioning, and perhaps a protein treatment, if you have fine and/or porous hair. And much less shampoo, perhaps even conditioner only.

julliams
July 12th, 2012, 02:20 AM
Thanks everyone. My hair just feels a little unlike me at the moment. I think moisture is the problem and my usual leave in has disappeared (we just moved and I can't find it) so I've had to rely on the Nightblooming panacea that I have but it's just not cutting it for me at the moment.

I'm finding that the ends are so dry they stick straight out when I hold them up (not droop like healthy hair). I SC because CO makes my hair lanky and my scalp itch. I haven't done any kind of treatment for ages and just the other day I did an overnight olive oil treatment. It did help a little but not in the way I remember.

Maybe I just need to do treatments twice a week, get a little trim and wear my hair up more. I think the house I'm in is a little drier than what I am used to. The first few nights I needed lip balm which is something I never need.

I keep reading about Mineral Oil. I had always heard that it wasn't good but I am reading about it more and more.

julliams
July 12th, 2012, 02:50 AM
I just added some coconut oil to my ends and I can't believe the difference - they are floppy again! Could just be the weight of the oil and they feel smooth and more like they used to. This is seriously a moisture issue - no doubt about it. I think I just need to keep it simple but obviously my current routine is not working for me.