PDA

View Full Version : Question for older women with long hair

clanless
July 11th, 2012, 09:45 PM
❥❥❥❥❥ ❥❥❥❥❥

Mountaingrrl
July 11th, 2012, 10:00 PM
I'm 48, and my hair is as easy to maintain as ever. In most ways, I find longer hair easier to maintain, as it doesn't require as much styling. It does take a bit longer in the shower, and braiding takes a bit more physical effort, but that's about it.

I think cutting one's hair when older is more about fashion and social customs than it is about the ability to maintain long, healthy hair.

Sisgoldenhair65
July 11th, 2012, 10:04 PM
I'm 48, and my hair is as easy to maintain as ever. In most ways, I find longer hair easier to maintain, as it doesn't require as much styling. It does take a bit longer in the shower, and braiding takes a bit more physical effort, but that's about it.

I think cutting one's hair when older is more about fashion and social customs than it is about the ability to maintain long, healthy hair.

This...and I'm 47.

Honestwitness
July 11th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Well, I guess I qualify as an older lady, so I will answer your questions.

I don't have bald patches, but I do have places where the hair is getting thinner. I wore a pixie most of my adult life and decided to grow it out about 3 years ago. I use drug store variety Suave shampoo and conditioner about every 3rd day, baby oil on damp hair after S/C, air dry it, and I also use hair spray every day on just my bangs.

I'm seeing more and more older women with long hair, but maybe that's because I'm more conscious of long hair now that I have it.

Elanadi
July 11th, 2012, 10:11 PM
I'm willing to bet longer hair isn't common on older women because hairstylists tell everyone you have to cut your hair short as you get older, that long hair is only for young women. And I think a lot of people don't question that. I love seeing long hair on older women, I know it can thin with age, but I still think it's cute to see little old ladies with a braid wrapped around their head, it makes me smile. :)

jeanniet
July 11th, 2012, 10:19 PM
"...many old women with long hair..." Oh, boy. Well...first of all, I know you're only 19, but the older women here are in their 50s, a few in their 60s. 50 ain't old, not by a long shot :D. I doubt any of us consider ourselves old, but that's beside the point. The older ladies with the short, permed hair are generally in their 70s and up (and BTW, my mom is 81 and still doesn't refer to herself as old). Hair may thin as you get older, but often not until you're well past menopause. The difficulty with caring for hair has more to do with mobility than anything else, but again that's typically well past the age set of LHC.

I'd say the main reason women cut their hair when they're older is social custom--and it's at a much earlier age than "old"--and then maintain a short length because it's easier to care for when you have arthritic arms/fingers, etc.

GlennaGirl
July 11th, 2012, 10:20 PM
I do think some, perhaps many, older women cut their hair because of thinning and bald areas. My MIL is an example. She's about to turn 70, and you literally see her scalp everywhere. I do think some women, and of course men, thin considerably when they get older.

Naturally some of the reason is cultural but I don't think that's the whole reason. Age can do a number on you, trust me.

ETA: I don't think it's unusual for a woman to start thinning in her 40s or 50s, by the way. I don't know what the cutoff is for "older" here but I'd include middle age (which is how I term myself at the moment and headed toward what is delicately called "mature" or "older."

GrowingGlory
July 11th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Well, I'm now old enough to contribute to this thread. Time flies! For me, it's just that I'm basically the same person that I've always been.

I'm accustomed to seeing men, women and children with hair that has never been cut, sometimes for religious, spiritual and cultural reasons. Natural terminations are stronger because they are covered with leaves of cuticle and have not been turned into tiny broomsticks (split ends and breakage in the making). It seems foolhardy to exchange them, even paying someone to do that, then tipping them!

catamonica
July 11th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Its easy to take care of. Spray on olive oil & water. Then shampoo. Conditioner. It's medium thick. Hasn't thinned at all. I think some older women cut it short, because they don't want to mess with long hair.

clanless
July 11th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Glennagirl, do you ever fear that you'll end up with bald patches like your grandmother

Fifty isn't old. I thought people begin having gray hair once they're like 70, and seeing that a lot of people here have fully gray long hair (not streaks, not gray roots), I assume they are at least way past 70. What is the age when people start having full gray hair then?

Is there some sort of special method that women in the past used to avoid thinning hair as they age? I see photos of sikh people, indians, and native americans who are very wrinkly and old looking but have full head of hair, and I think, "how do they do that". Because these days, barely anyone have hair past the hip.

I want to have healthy scalp and full head of hair by the time I am old so I oil a lot and use only organic shampoo. I also try to eat well.

Why would anyone think long hair is only for young females, that is stupid

GlennaGirl
July 11th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Glennagirl, do you ever fear that you'll end up with bald patches like your grandmother

Hi, clanless. :) That was actually my mother-in-law I was talking about, but my mother had extremely thin hair that was definitely getting thinner by the minute when she died (in her early 50s) and her mother and grandmother had very thin hair too.

Yes, I do feel I will get very thin hair. It's thin to begin with and I may well end up with bald areas. I am hoping not, of course! If it happens, I'm sure there would be worse things, though it would be devastating. But yes, I am prepared for this possibility.

missdelarocha
July 11th, 2012, 11:04 PM
GrowingGlory that was a very fancy paragraph and took me a while to understand but I appreciate the detail :p.

clanless
July 11th, 2012, 11:05 PM
So many people here have silvery, gray hair that is also full and beautiful. I don't know how you all do it. Good genes? Good childhood nutrition and habits?

I am pretty sure I'll be bald by the time I am 60 looking at my grandfathers but they probably didn't do anything to help their general health anyway

missdelarocha
July 11th, 2012, 11:09 PM
P.S, people go grey at all different rates and speeds, it's just that a lot usually dye their roots in denial :p.

I think it's averagely around the 30's and 40's that you'll start getting them.

GrowingGlory
July 11th, 2012, 11:12 PM
@missdelarocha Didn't mean to wax fancy and cryptic on you. Glad that you soldiered through it and got something out of it for your trouble.

Artisticat
July 11th, 2012, 11:18 PM
So many people here have silvery, gray hair that is also full and beautiful. I don't know how you all do it. Good genes? Good childhood nutrition and habits?

I am pretty sure I'll be bald by the time I am 60 looking at my grandfathers but they probably didn't do anything to help their general health anyway

I'm "older" too, but don't feel it one inch (OK some mornings...). :D

It's good you're thinking now how you should be caring for your hair (and body), but I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. You're (only) 19! Some 40 years from now...just imagine the kind of technology there will be!!! You may be able to zap :magic: your hair to any length or color LOL!

jeanniet
July 11th, 2012, 11:20 PM

Fifty isn't old. I thought people begin having gray hair once they're like 70, and seeing that a lot of people here have fully gray long hair (not streaks, not gray roots), I assume they are at least way past 70. What is the age when people start having full gray hair then?

Is there some sort of special method that women in the past used to avoid thinning hair as they age? I see photos of sikh people, indians, and native americans who are very wrinkly and old looking but have full head of hair, and I think, "how do they do that". Because these days, barely anyone have hair past the hip.

I want to have healthy scalp and full head of hair by the time I am old so I oil a lot and use only organic shampoo. I also try to eat well.

People usually get their first gray hair in their 20s, or 30s at the latest. It's very possible to be fully gray in your 40s, but really it depends on genetics. I think you're confused because many/most people color their grays. Gray hair isn't indicative of age at all!

julliams
July 11th, 2012, 11:22 PM
I'm 39 so not "old" but I have been finding that my hair is getting more wirey as I'm aging. I used to think that it was just the greys coming in but I think it's my hair in general. I remember being about 14 and feeling through my hair to find the wirey ones. I would find one in a blue moon. Now I think I have more wirey ones than straight which is most likely the reason that my hair has gotten curlier but also, I think that it's just something that's happening to my hair in general. Could be hormonal? In any case, I think my hair is getting a little wilder as I'm getting older. It is enough to make me want to cut it sometimes but I think the best thing for my hair is to keep it long. I will never have smooth hair the way I did as a child, I just have to embrace what is happening to me now and wear it the best way I can.

missdelarocha
July 11th, 2012, 11:22 PM
@missdelarocha Didn't mean to wax fancy and cryptic on you. Glad that you soldiered through it and got something out of it for your trouble.

:bluebiggr That is the first time I've heartily laughed in a while :bowtome:

Silverbrumby
July 11th, 2012, 11:32 PM
My grandmother died at 99 1/2 with hair at BSL but always up in a nice bun.

spirals
July 11th, 2012, 11:38 PM
I guess I'll reluctantly call myself middle-aged. If I were 19 I'd think 38 was old, lol. There are women younger than me with dowdy short haircuts. I don't know if that's the culture countrywide or just in the midwest. I do know my hair behaves and looks as it did when I was 19, except for 2 or 3 sparklies. So why not keep it long? People in my family age well.

earthnut
July 11th, 2012, 11:45 PM
I thought people begin having gray hair once they're like 70, and seeing that a lot of people here have fully gray long hair (not streaks, not gray roots), I assume they are at least way past 70.

lololol

I got my first gray hair when I was 15. I'm in my 30's and have noticeable gray, about the same amount as my mom who's in her 60's. Still mostly dark brown, but obviously graying. (obviously I didn't get her hair genetics. :P)

Just as most women are told they need to cut their hair when they're past middle age, women of all ages (unless they're 70 as you say) are told they need to dye their hair to hide any gray. And women tend to go along with all that foolishness just because that's what they're told.

Personally, I think long hair hides thinning and bald patches better than short hair. :P

clanless
July 12th, 2012, 12:05 AM
julliams, don't cut your hair, even if you have hair you don't want. Even bad hair is better than short hair (imo).

People coloring their gray hair explains why I think gray hair is "old". I am shocked. It is like that one time when one woman told me that 90% of women I see have colored their hair, and that most blonds I see are actually bottle.

What is wrong with gray hair? Society is silly, but I guess it's because hair color sells.

Masara
July 12th, 2012, 12:40 AM

There is something called "male pattern baldness" which as the name suggests, happens to men. Women's hair can thin as they get older, but baldness is rare.

My grandfather had no hair on the crown of his head from age 24 and both his sons (my dad and uncle) started losing their hair from their mid to late twenties. I have no memory of either of them with hair on the top of their heads.

My sister and I, on the other hand, (45 and 48) both have as much hair as we did as kids.

Jesabel
July 12th, 2012, 12:49 AM
I agree with Jeaniet that the "older" women on here are not old.

With my gran, who is in her late sixties, she gets her hair dyed to cover her greys, and this would be a hassle for her if it were longer than the pixie it's in now (which suits very well). Also, her eyesight is very poor and she has arthritis in her hands and fingers pretty bad, and any styling past a few minutes to blow-dry briefly is too much for her.

And when we're talking going fully grey, this does not mean this person is automatically past 70...? It depends on each person, my Aunty is in her early 40's and is fully grey, though she colours her hair.

Jesabel
July 12th, 2012, 12:53 AM
julliams, don't cut your hair, even if you have hair you don't want. Even bad hair is better than short hair (imo).

But what's the purpose of having hair, if not so you can do what you want with it. If someone wants long hair, awesome. If they want to cut their hair, their choice! The whole"bad" hair mentality is somethin' else... And some people really rock short hair styles, it's all different for everyone

Toadstool
July 12th, 2012, 02:37 AM
People coloring their gray hair explains why I think gray hair is "old". I am shocked. It is like that one time when one woman told me that 90% of women I see have colored their hair, and that most blonds I see are actually bottle.

LOL I remember a few years ago thinking all the women where I worked had straight hair, until I found out they just straightened it every morning.

I read yesterday that the average age for a woman to find her first grey hair is 34. It is notable that the article and others I have read didn't consider the age when a man finds his first grey hair to be worthy of note.

Natalia
July 12th, 2012, 02:58 AM
cant speak from experiance as im only 23 but in my family as they get older ive noticed though the density goes down the strand thickness increases with the grey hair. not sure if thats normal or not....

Elenna
July 12th, 2012, 03:14 AM
Socially, other ladies will say that gray hair is aging & needs to be dyed. They also say that pass shoulder length is too long. This is promulgated by hair dressers, and marketed by corporations. There is a ton of social pressure to conform.

Thinning hair can be from a stressful and unhealthy, modern lifestyle. A person's health habits does impact the condition of one's hair. Sadly sometimes the hair does thin based on a person's genetics. And last, as people age many tend to get short hair styles because of thinning hair. I'm kind of going around in circles with this. Which causes thin hair? Lifestyle, genetics or age?

Personally, I believe in keeping one's hair long as much as possible.

Natalia
July 12th, 2012, 03:37 AM
Socially, other ladies will say that gray hair is aging & needs to be dyed. They also say that pass shoulder length is too long. This is promulgated by hair dressers, and marketed by corporations. There is a ton of social pressure to conform.

agreed. its the hair equivellent of mom jeans

furnival
July 12th, 2012, 03:42 AM
My Mum is sixty next year and she has the most beautiful silvery grey 1a mid-thigh length hair. She's never been to a hairdressers in her life (a legacy of her sister using her for hairdressing practice when she was little). She would never dream of dyeing it and I'm glad, because she looks absolutely beautiful, and more so because it's clear that she couldn't give two hoots about what society thinks.
It's sad that so many women feel compelled to dye their grey hair because convention dictates that grey= old= unattractive. Growing old didn't used to be seen as a bad thing: it used to be seen as the achievement that it is.
I'm always heartened to see women displaying their grey: to me it signifies a small but significant rebellion against the baying of the beauty industry to succumb to its prescribed fear of growing older and all that it entails.
All you grey-haired ladies out there- I salute you. ;)

thystle
July 12th, 2012, 03:48 AM
I'm 54, and thanks to the genetics lottery I have thick hair and very little gray. I got my first grey at 50, and only have about 10 now, which are silvery and fairly kinky. Since they're in my fringe/bangs, they don't get very long. I try to eat "clean", and use gentle cleansing/moisturizing methods and ingredients.

Before she lost it due to chemo, my mother had shoulder-length, very thick medium textured salt and pepper gray hair (she didn't start going gray until her sixties--she is 73 now). My mother's youngest sister is about 65, and she has had hair at least waist-length for as long as I can remember.

My father, 81, has thinned some, but has no bald spots. He went gray also in his late 60s; his hair transitioned through salt and pepper and now is snowy white. He did have one sister who went gray early, at about age 40.

Thinning can be due to genetics, diet or health problems. Why women keep their hair short could be personal preference or societal norms. I intend to keep my hair long as long as possible, and I hope I can get to at least knee-length. :)

Rini
July 12th, 2012, 04:02 AM
I'm going to be one of those old ladies (one day!) with looooong silver hair :D But for now, I'm a young lady with long silver hair ;)

I don't know what possesses older women to cut their hair short. Personally I find it easier to look after when it's long. Each to their own though. I feel a special kind of kinship with other long-haired silvers :)

clanless
July 12th, 2012, 04:05 AM
Toadstool, I was shocked with that too. I thought the girls in school woke up every morning with perfectly lustrous, straight hair. That girls naturally had nice hairdos. I never gave it much thought, but then I heard how women use all these products, brushed, and used hot irons and I thought wow

I think thin hair that is long can be just as good as curly short hair. Just my opinion, but might be biased because my grandmother had long hair and she was the most elegant looking woman I can remember. She was 90 and passed away with full head of long hair, even though they were thin. So, I know it's possible, just never saw it on a modern person. Only in photos.

furnival, it is indeed sad that gray hair (and old age in general) is not as appreciated. But in general I find it disturbing the popularity of botox and hair dyeing at old age in order to look young.

Hairizona
July 12th, 2012, 04:09 AM
Most if not all old women I've seen have that short, curly hair so I always assumed that they wear it that way because hair loss and bald patches are inevitable. But when I came here and saw many old women with long hair (assuming you're old because you have gray hair), I realized that healthy hair is possible for older people.

Now the question is, older ladies, how do you maintain your hair? Is it harder to maintain as you get older? If it's so do-able, then why is everyone else cutting their hair once they're older?

Long hair, even the old thin ones, look better than short hair IMO. Perhaps I am biased because my grandmother, whom I thought was the best looking "old lady", was also the only old woman I ever saw with long hair. Once she was gone, I never saw anyone over 40+ with hair that passed the shoulders, let alone old women. It's sad because I like long hair on women no matter what age.

You are way too young to draw conclusions.
Your role is to observe for the next 20+ years.
Have fun observing...

Shiranshoku
July 12th, 2012, 06:13 AM
You are way too young to draw conclusions.
Your role is to observe for the next 20+ years.
Have fun observing...

You don't learn by observing alone. Coming to conclusions and being critical about them, asking questions, ... teaches you a lot more about life.

*snip* I have issues. Lol.

Fairlight63
July 12th, 2012, 06:34 AM
I think that as you get older you wind up on a lot of medicines for arthritis, heart problems, diabetes, etc and some of those med. cause hair loss. A long time ago those med. was not available so maybe that is why their hair was still thicker. You also did not live as long either back then.
I know that my DH used to have really thick dark curly hair. He had high blood pressure, was put on med. Had a heart by pass operation in the yr. 2000. His hair has slowly gotten really thin & silver white- he is 68. He said once "when did I lose all of my hair?" It was such a slow thing that he did not notice it at all.
I am not on any med. other than vitamins - I hope that I never have to get on anything because I think that they wreck havoc on your hair!

missdelarocha
July 12th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Shiranshoku pretty sure le OP is not a she/her. :lol:

Shiranshoku
July 12th, 2012, 06:49 AM
Shiranshoku pretty sure le OP is not a she/her. :lol:
I really need to learn to pay attention to that :o

Madora
July 12th, 2012, 06:58 AM

Now the question is, older ladies, how do you maintain your hair? Is it harder to maintain as you get older? If it's so do-able, then why is everyone else cutting their hair once they're older?

I'm 66 and have hair slightly past my fingertips.

It is harder to maintain now because I have arthritis in my feet, which makes standing a bit of a trial. During cooler weather my Reynaud's Syndrome kicks in for good measure, which affects the feeling in my fingers. Nevertheless, I love my hair and am trying to grow it longer.

Older women cut their hair for many reasons: fashion, ease of upkeep, medical issues. Also, the majority of women have no idea how to style long hair properly. They're used to short styles and are probably unwilling to stray from what they know. Of course there are ladies who take the path less travelled and WANT to grow their hair longer...but these are in the minority.

I think long hair looks lovely on women of all ages. If you've got it, flaunt it!

torrilin
July 12th, 2012, 06:59 AM

As everyone else says, it varies. My partner started going grey in his early 20s. In bright sun at 34, he has silver tracery everywhere. It's really pretty. My dad started greying perhaps a bit earlier, but at the same age was solidly salt and pepper, mostly salt. My mom did not start developing greys until she was about 50 or 55. Even when she did, it looked like blonde streaks in her dark brown hair.

No one (me included) has spotted any greys in my hair yet. So chances are I (sadly) got Mom's greying genes and not Dad's. My Dad's hair is pretty amazing looking, so not getting his hair makes me sad.

Anyway...

Most of the time when you see older women with a short cut, it's not the case that they cut off their hair because they got old. Mom has literally never in my lifetime had long hair. She did for a while as a teen, but even then she preferred to wear her hair in a fake bob sort of style. And long might have meant as much as shoulder length . My aunts also have always worn their hair short.

From about 1920 to 1980, short hair in a variety of cuts was the dominant fashionable hairstyle. And even in the 1980s, long hair was shoulder length, not BSL usually.

I've also never had an older woman comment on my long hair. While it's longer than was fashionable when they were young, it's always up or back.

clanless
July 12th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Hairizona, I am pretty sure I'll be balding by the time I am 40 and go "oops I should've asked how to watch after myself twenty years ago"
I can ask the questions and take protocol now than wait 20+ years

Fairlight, the short life span may explain it. But my grandmother was 90 when she died with full hair. Or 80. I am on a paleo-based diet (or more like weston price) so my diet is supposed to be similar to the ones that people in the past had: traditional, whole foods without the substances that didn't exist a hundred years ago. Hopefully that helps

Scarlet_Heart
July 12th, 2012, 07:39 AM
For old women (70s & 80s) I think the major challenge would be dexterity. Arthritis and other joint/muscle issues would make it hard to bun, braid, even wash regularly. That's why they tend to go to a hair dresser once a week to have it washed and set for them. I plan to have long hair as long as I'm able to maintain it and as long as it keeps growing out of my head!

mrs_coffee
July 12th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Well, I'm 42 and have a lot of grey hair. I henna because I like the way it looks and I'm not ready to go grey yet. Maybe some day, maybe not. I don't know if I'll keep my hair long when I'm older or if I'll go back to short hair. I had a pixie or just a bit longer for most of my life and I loved it. Maybe I'll go back to that and maybe I'll keep it long. I'll have to see when I get there. I don't care what society expects in terms of looks or vanity. I do what makes me happy.

gonzobird
July 12th, 2012, 08:01 AM
I think...... being healthy inside and eating the right foods and taking care of yourself keeps your hair just as much as genetics. medications are huge as far as your hair goes. Foreign stuff like that will make your hair fall out really quick. s far as short permed roller set hair goes.... all that on your hair cant be good for it either. And if it gets thin, then women perm it and abuse it more to get it to be full. Viscous cycle. Thats part of it too. And genes. But you can compensate alot for genes by nourishing from within. :)

Ps.... its not polite to call people old. Say older, more mature. ;)

Xandergrammy
July 12th, 2012, 08:35 AM
My Mum is sixty next year and she has the most beautiful silvery grey 1a mid-thigh length hair. She's never been to a hairdressers in her life (a legacy of her sister using her for hairdressing practice when she was little). She would never dream of dyeing it and I'm glad, because she looks absolutely beautiful, and more so because it's clear that she couldn't give two hoots about what society thinks.
It's sad that so many women feel compelled to dye their grey hair because convention dictates that grey= old= unattractive. Growing old didn't used to be seen as a bad thing: it used to be seen as the achievement that it is.
I'm always heartened to see women displaying their grey: to me it signifies a small but significant rebellion against the baying of the beauty industry to succumb to its prescribed fear of growing older and all that it entails.

Ooooh, I'd love to see a picture of your mum's hair!! :flowers:

dulce
July 12th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I'm 60 with almost hip length[going for tailbone if I can!] silver streaked hair[still have a lot of my light brown though]My hair is a bit thinner than in my 20's.I had it long for many years than cut and dyed it in a pixie [hated it!] in my mid 40's to mid 50's due to society's pressure to "look age appropriate" .Funny, hair dressers tell you you must cut your hair and dye your gray and you will look younger,but if you have long hair you are told it's not age appropriate,or that you are trying to look like a teenager.Does anyone else see the irony of these comments?My shorter hair was breaking off due to the brown salon dye and very damaged.Once I grew it out and stopped all dyeing, I found a lot of the thinning reversed and my thickness has increased.I now cut my own hair and never set foot in a salon except to pick up a purple shampoo occasionally and my hair has never been happier.After menopause hair for many gets more fragile and delicate ,and dyes can lead to a lot of damage as what happened to me.

dulce
July 12th, 2012, 08:50 AM
As you age, the dyes and perms and flat irons and hot blowdryers and tight tight roller sets and all the other stuff the beauty salons offer can really do a number on your hair when older. I think genetics and medications and illness play a role also but how we treat our hair as we age is underappreciated.Avoiding destructive hair habits can make a world of difference in our hair quality as we age.

Debra83
July 12th, 2012, 08:51 AM

I got my first gray hair at 25. My son got his first gray at 12. My mom had to start dyeing her hair at 18 because of gray hair. My adopted cousin lost most of his hair by 24.

I think that as you get older you wind up on a lot of medicines for arthritis, heart problems, diabetes, etc and some of those med. cause hair loss. A long time ago those med. was not available so maybe that is why their hair was still thicker. You also did not live as long either back then.
I know that my DH used to have really thick dark curly hair. He had high blood pressure, was put on med. Had a heart by pass operation in the yr. 2000. His hair has slowly gotten really thin & silver white- he is 68. He said once "when did I lose all of my hair?" It was such a slow thing that he did not notice it at all.
I am not on any med. other than vitamins - I hope that I never have to get on anything because I think that they wreck havoc on your hair!

Most people ate wholesome foods with no chemicals to preserve it or no bleaching, or no spraying back in the day.

Now, what we eat, wouldn't be considered food back then.

Hairizona
July 12th, 2012, 08:59 AM
You don't learn by observing alone. Coming to conclusions and being critical about them, asking questions, ... teaches you a lot more about life.

*snip* I have issues. Lol.

You cannot come to conclusions until ALL the data is in. In youth, you have not been around long enough to "conclude".
The next step is analyzing, not concluding.
Analyzing and then concluding, which is a never-ending "process" is in the arena of those who have been around a good deal longer than younger folks.
One learns that life itself will present the things it will teach the individual through the process of growth from ages 16 or so through about age 40. ("Life begins at 40" is associated with this process for this reason). One does not spring from the womb "knowing"; youth learns through the process of growth. Age 20 does not equal "wisdom"; wisdom comes only with time, growth, and the process of observing----->approx. 40 years, to analyzing----->approx 57 years, to drawing conclusions----> "old age"; conclusions are "re-analyzed" the rest of one's life.
Youth is for observing; one does not have enough "data" to conclude in youth, nor does youth have enough "life experience" or maturity (which comes only with time- it is a process).
If you have "issues", perhaps the process of life over the years is and will be attempting to present opportunities for you to realize that what you want or think you havedoes not just happen; you were not born with "knowing" or "wisdom", and that you must allow this process to take place over time. By the age of 40, you will realize that there are certain things that were put in front of you to deal with up to age 40, and that you have dealt with sucessfully or not, and when you begin to analyze this over the years, you will begin the process of concluding after the age of 57 or there-abouts.
You are free to disagree with me; that would not be unexpected... gotta love younger folks!

dulce
July 12th, 2012, 09:00 AM
I agree on the foods comment.I avoid all processed artificial foods,salt and suger,do not smoke or drink alcohol or pop and limit my coffee to 1 tsp daily in my cappucino flavored [homemade] protein powder almond milk shake.I juice dark greens twice daily.I do all this for health reasons but am sure a healthy ,natural diet helps hair especially as we age.Jack la lanne used to say about food ,if man made it don't eat it!

berr
July 12th, 2012, 09:01 AM
I changed Jesus diapers when I was young. My hair is knee length and I'll forever be in denial about my age. It's the cricks and cracks of my bones and joints that give me away. I also need to win a lottery so I can afford a face lift and some other minor tucks.

If I could afford it I'd be like Joan Rivers who now has more skin removed than anybody. She looks fabulously fake. yeah.. is it real or is is memorex?

going gray
July 12th, 2012, 09:09 AM

Hello, Just wanted to say, this is such a lovely post. Thank you so very much.

Hairizona
July 12th, 2012, 09:11 AM
[QUOTE=clanless;2209344]Hairizona, I am pretty sure I'll be balding by the time I am 40 and go "oops I should've asked how to watch after myself twenty years ago"

Ya know what I have learned, clanless?

Hair grows, no matter what we do to it, or what the hair care routine is!

You may or may not go bald at any age.

If you are going to go bald, it will be genetics, illness, or some kind of terrible accident/ event that does it.

Enjoy your youth and energy.

Everybody ages; it will come sooner or later, that is a fact of life. And, I should add, not to be dreaded or feared. You have many years to experience so much more than worrying about how your hair "may" be in older age. You do not know if this is how it will turn out!

I think you will one day, years down the road, realize that your attitude too, has changed about older age and hair.

swearnsue
July 12th, 2012, 09:20 AM
I was always told that the reason older women cut their hair shorter is to give a lifting affect on the face. As a woman ages the skin begins to sag and hair that is cut and styled with waves around the face draws the eyes upward instead of downward. I'm not explaining it very well.
I'm responding to your question even though I'm not old.

silverpiper
July 12th, 2012, 09:20 AM
I have some thinning and gray hair has a different texture. I do like my hair long. I think it's a matter of convenience for some older women to keep it short.

clanless
July 12th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I don't "dread" old age. Don't mistake me as one of those people who try to swim against the current of time. But it would be so cool if I end up like this:
http://images.wikia.com/lotr/images/c/c4/Gandalf_the_white_in_Fangorn.jpg (:

dulce
July 12th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Swearnsue,I feel that's another myth of the beauty industry!As is ,you must cut your hair after a certain age,you must dye that gray,you must cut every 6 weeks to grow your hair,long hair cannot be fashioneable,and so on .It's all money driven.Long gray hair is not a money maker for the beauty industry so they do all they can to discourage it.That's my personal opinion.At 60 I don't find my long hair pulls my face down.I feel my previous short layered hair didn't miraculously make my face shape look any different.

Ostelot
July 12th, 2012, 09:40 AM
I was always told that the reason older women cut their hair shorter is to give a lifting affect on the face. As a woman ages the skin begins to sag and hair that is cut and styled with waves around the face draws the eyes upward instead of downward. I'm not explaining it very well.
I'm responding to your question even though I'm not old.

Yes, certain hair cuts do have a lifting effect to the sagging skin, like pixie style. But I think that a tight combed and high located updo makes even better results. :) Once I saw a photo of Sarah Jessica Parker wearing a tight ponytail, which pulled her face features immediately to a younger look. :p Well, she is not old but the natural aging can already be seen from her skin. Some shorter hair styles can weigh the face features as well, so I don't see the situation quite simple.

(Then is the question, whether you should try to look young or not. In my opinion it's everyone's own decision to make. )

Btw, I've been thinking to stop using chemical dyes and henna when/if I get a enough grey hairs. :D I personally don't like my natural color, but the grey shades allure me already.

jojo
July 12th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Well I'm 43 and my hair is no different to handle that when it was in its 20's! I also don't have wrinkles or sagging skin!

I have no thinning despite having hypothyroidism and no balding spots, but then I don't really qualify as an "older person" in the typical sense, we have lots of mature (which is more appropriate wording) ladies who have beautiful hair. I don't see somebody as older until they reach their 70's, 50 is still fairly young!

Hairizona
July 12th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I don't "dread" old age. Don't mistake me as one of those people who try to swim against the current of time. But it would be so cool if I end up like this:
http://images.wikia.com/lotr/images/c/c4/Gandalf_the_white_in_Fangorn.jpg (:

I gotta agree with this...that is what my husband looks like!

spidermom
July 12th, 2012, 09:46 AM
My maternal grandmother had yellowish-white hair and hip to tailbone length braids all the time I knew her right up to her death at age 82. Her hair did look thinner than mine does now.

I never had the patience to leave my hair alone and let it grow until I was in my 40s, so thank goodness it wasn't too late for me. I would guess that I have good hair genetics, and I do my best to keep my diet healthy (mostly), drink plenty of water/fluids, and get both exercise and sleep.

heidi w.
July 12th, 2012, 09:55 AM
I am 52, not sure if this counts as your definition of old. To a 20 yr old, that's old, and to a 7 yr old, that's just about ancient. So it's all relative. If you're 30, in about 20 years you'll be 50....so...

Anyhoo.....

My hair is not overly difficult to care for, and I have my routine pretty sweated out and stabilized by now. The thing is that older people have to be really careful about trimming because if you're at the longest hair length, as I am, a trim means removal and it taking a long time to grow even an inch. Because hair grows less speedily the older one is. It doesn't completely stop, but it sure does slow down on the growth rate. So I trim extremely rarely, and a trimmed hemline can last me a year or longer before I need another trim again.

For some, the older one gets, the hair can actually shorten over time because of genes and hormones and age. Just the way it is.

Hair, for just about everyone, regardless of length, does thin the older one becomes......just one of life's realities.

heidi w.

FrannyG
July 12th, 2012, 10:00 AM
I'll be 51 in a few days, and my hair is naturally pretty much white at this point. I got my first grey hair at the age of 23, and by 29, I had a LOT.

I do colour my hair, because I like my colour. Not to look younger, not to fool myself. I just like the colour.

I like having my hair long because it's so much easier for me to take care of than shorter hair was.

I disagree that it's the hairdressers who are pushing older women to have short cuts. Most of the women I know who wear old lady haircuts have decided on that for themselves and believe other women their age should follow suit.

I think it is something that started some time in the late 1940s, and it's just become a custom for women to cut their hair short at a certain age. It's become part of the mentality, at least here in North America.

I have people tell me that I "should" get my hair cut short because, "I'm no kid." That includes some family members. I have never known a hair stylist who thought I should have short hair.

I don't have any intention of ever cutting my hair short, even if it does become thinner. I may cut it to a shorter, but still long length, such as APL, so the ends can appear thicker, but I can't see going shorter than that.

Been there, done that, don't like the way short hair looks on me, and requires way too much styling to look good. Plus, as I resemble my father a lot, I feel like a man when I have short hair. shudder:

Tisiloves
July 12th, 2012, 10:16 AM
My gran kept her hair at BSL-WL (she was a short-waisted 4'10", so that was about a 2" gap) until she had to go into a home at 91 (apart from when she broke her wrist, she cut to APL and grew out again).

I think long hair might be in part a matter of practice, my gran could do the fastest pinned French pleat in the West, so as she aged and got a bit arthritic and lost feeling in her fingers she already knew how to handle her hair really, and didn't have to spend much time with her hands up.

Plus on observation, grey hair seems to be much coarser and able to withstand tough handling than a person's normal hair.

dulce
July 12th, 2012, 10:33 AM
FrannyG,glad hair dressers didn't give you the pressure and hassle I got,some of us weren't as lucky as you. They told me I'd look so old when I said I wanted to stop dyeing my hair ,and they so strongly opposed my growing my hair long that I just quite going to them all together as they did not respect my wishes and were not willing to work with me to help me achieve my goals.Are all hair dressers like this? no ,but a lot are.I used to be a military wife and we moved constantly over the years so I saw a lot of different hairdressers over the years. This has been my life experience,if I had found a open minded hair dresser and been able to stay with her[impossible due to our frequent job related moves] I may have had a better experience and maybe I wouldn't feel the way I do today.

Elithia
July 12th, 2012, 10:41 AM
My mother got her first full-on gray streak in her temple at age 15. (Her father and grandfather were both almost fully white by 40). Now she is 44 and fifty-fifty silver and brown-blonde (her hair has about a thousand different shades in it -- really cool!)

My dad is her age and has a few silver threads. But both my parents look really young. Dad's beard is half-white, but if he shaves and my parents go out together, people routinely mistake them for a couple in their late twenties or early thirties despite my mother's hair. (People's brains explode when my mom tells them she has a twenty-one-year-old daughter!)

I'm kind of hoping my hair will end up like my dad's sister's. At 46, she has just gotten a one-inch-wide streak of white running back from just above her temple. The rest of her hair is mostly still dark brown. It looks awesome! None of the women in my family have colored over their silvers, and I think they're beautiful.

Elanadi
July 12th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I'm going to be one of those old ladies (one day!) with looooong silver hair :D But for now, I'm a young lady with long silver hair ;)

I don't know what possesses older women to cut their hair short. Personally I find it easier to look after when it's long. Each to their own though. I feel a special kind of kinship with other long-haired silvers :)

Your hair color is gorgeous and so completely suits your face! I love your avatar pic.

I too feel long hair is easier than short hair. As a 1a, I have to really work at short hair to make it look good. With long hair, I just have to comb it. :laugh:

Elanadi
July 12th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Hairizona, I am pretty sure I'll be balding by the time I am 40 and go "oops I should've asked how to watch after myself twenty years ago"

Fairlight, the short life span may explain it. But my grandmother was 90 when she died with full hair. Or 80. I am on a paleo-based diet (or more like weston price) so my diet is supposed to be similar to the ones that people in the past had: traditional, whole foods without the substances that didn't exist a hundred years ago. Hopefully that helps

I've been primal for over two years now, and my hair looks so much better than when I grew it out while eating a conventional western diet. But there were so many other factors then that aren't present now, so it's too hard for me to judge the impact of my diet on my hair. But I'm hoping primal makes for healthier hair! :)

dulce
July 12th, 2012, 10:51 AM
I do agree that Sarah Jessica Parker does look not look as well with all her hair pulled back tightly but in my opinion it is more to do with her super long face shape more than age.You can soften long hair with bangs and layers rather than just skinning it back tightly,if you are one of those that thinks long hair is aging.I remember seeing Audrey Hepburn's pics [movie actress] in her later years doing her unicef volunteer work,she no longer wore her bangs and shorter hair but had her hair longer in a bun,no fringe at all.She looked gorgeous and elegant like a ballerina,she must have been in her 60's.It all depends on our face shape and features and less about age in my opinion.Check out Yasminna Rossi's[model in her 60's] beautiful silver all one length[no bangs or fringe or layers ] waist hair,another one that looks great even with supposedly a severe hairstyle.

Odonata
July 12th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Keep in mind that women in possibly your grandmothers generation and the half gen before that 60-80+? had fashionably short hair in their youth and 40-60, grew up exposed to these styles on older women, establishing a pre-set idea of both what are liked styled from within a lifetime and an expectation of women's hair-styles later in life.

my mother is 60, she wears her hair now above the shoulders, she still has her auburn locks with a few greys, she in her youth in the 70's had very long hair, cut in the 80's with the fashion and with children. she also doesn't cope well with the heat and her hair is coarse and thick and reasonably unmanageable. several years ago she had grown it back down to styles between shoulder and Mid back length but has now gone back to short hair for manageability.

I think, or hope there will be more long grey locks when 20-30's make crone age - I know I haven't any plans to go above waist length now I am at lower back - my goal is classic and once I am there I may hack it back to tail bone or waist for styling reasons, but I doubt i'll ever go grey ;)

GlennaGirl
July 12th, 2012, 11:15 AM
I *personally* think genetics play a huge role in whether we go gray and whether we thin. I think this because I'm almost 45 and I have only found three gray hairs on my head in my life, and in fact I can't even find them on my head now. To my recollection they were (are?) near the front, at the top.

My health is in the crapper and I've been on various meds since I was 22. That was the year I began antidepressants. I also have thyroid issues (autoimmune). My body is literally destroying a part of itself. Yet...still no gray hairs.

So although I definitely believe health and diet can affect hair and does -- and that we should keep a healthy diet and try to keep healthy -- I think genetics play the larger part. Again, just my personal belief and based only on observation.

I also observed that when my mother, who had had autoimmune thyroid disease, depression and anxiety, and pretty much chronic anorexia from the age of 15, died at 51 with just a few gray hairs. Meanwhile her older sister, my aunt, was fully gray by about 40. She was and is healthy as a horse.

clanless
July 12th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Hairizona, is there something particular I can learn from your husband? I can't imagine anyone at 40+ actually having full hair like gandalf. But I can try

spidermom, your hair is amazing. Your hair was actually one of the images I saw here and thought "wow" (your hair looks gray on my screen). You're 58 but you have much healthier-looking, thicker, and glossier hair than people my age, and even girls my age are already thin looking when it comes to hair. I never met anyone in life with hair like yours, only online here on LHC.

No Heidi, 70 is old. I thought most gray-hair people here were 70+ because I associated gray hair with that age (turns out I am wrong). Nonetheless it's still amazing to see anyone over forty have such nice hair because by 40, it seems so many cut, dye, or curl their hair.

My grandmother with long hair comes from an Asian country and in her young photos, she always had long hair in a thick bun. I don't know how long my grandmother's hair was because she always had it in a bun. My granddad was balding (proof in photos) when he was around 40, but he also had a super stressful life.

GlennaGirl
July 12th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Someone here commented that many women who are in, say, their 60s and 70s today never had long hair in their lives. This is very true and a very good point. In my mother's generation (she was born in 1944), little girls had shortish hair and bangs, generally. As a teenager my mom had a short 50s 'do like so many of her friends had. Then in the 60s she had a Mia Farrow pixie 'do. She had a very brief stint during the 70s when she grew her hair long (at least by her standards) per "the hippie era." Then she got divorced and sported a Ms. Romano-esque (One Day at a Time) bobbed do with bangs.

As she got older she never decided to suddenly try long hair or anything. She had had her hair short for most of her life and it was what she liked and preferred. She wasn't "giving up," it wasn't for ease of care/because she was lazy, or for any other reason than: she thought it was cute, sassy, capable, and cool and it had always worked for her.

I've cut my hair to be fun and sassy too (I've been doing "the short thing" for about 9 months now, in fact...just decided to start growing again)...it wasn't because I'm middle-aged, it wasn't because I don't know how to care for long hair, it wasn't because I'm lazy and it wasn't because society told me to. In fact, the majority of the women around me have long hair, due to cultural reasons. So when people seem to judge short-haired people in the ways I see judgment here, I feel a bit sad.

dulce
July 12th, 2012, 11:44 AM
GlennaGirl,I don't think anyone here is judging/disliking all short hair ,everyone is just discussing the reasons why they think older women tend to wear short hair.A lot[not all though] of people here on the long hair forum are here because they prefer long hair,am sure they don't dislike short hair they just prefer long.I like pixies on a lot of women,they do look cute and sassy on some people,I had a pixie for several years,It didn't suit me and I never looked cute or sassy in one.Do I dislike all short hair?No,only on me.Some look good with short hair ,some look good with long .If you post on a long hair forum there may seem to be a bias towards prefering long hair,which for me I find normal since it is afterall a long hair forum.In my personal opinon it is not judgemental here but just a a bias.That's only my 2 cents and personal opinion.

holothuroidea
July 12th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Just to give a range of gray hair ages..

My grandmother is 85 and has salt and pepper hair, not fully gray yet. :D
I had a friend who was fully gray in her 30's.
Another person I know is fully gray and he is not yet 45.

My DH had his first gray hairs when he was 17, he gets a couple more every year.
My mom is 52 and has less gray hair than my DH.

I think most people who are young dye their grays and that's why they're not noticeable. I do think there is pressure in our culture to appear youthful for longer than youthfulness lasts. I've seen anti-aging products marketed to people in my age group. I felt like tearing that magazine to shreds. Yeah, I'm not falling into that trap.

(Also, easy for me to say as I'm only 26)

dulce
July 12th, 2012, 11:57 AM
As you get older there is much more "judgement" by society in general towards older women who go long and gray[60 and up]I have been approached by older women[ages 60-70] that I didn't even know just to tell me that I was trying to look like a teenager.I would never approach a stranger and criticise her hair to her face even if I didn't like her style[whatever it was]Somehow if you are old and long haired,some people think it's ok to do that. It still astounds me that some people think it's ok to do that but am used to it now and just ignore them or tell them my hair is my business.As I wrote earlier the general hair salons gave me hassle about my hair choices in my 50's so I just walked away.If ever a long hair salon opened up near me I'd be there so fast but till then ,I'll do my own hair for now ,unless I luck out and find a supportive stylist.

FrannyG
July 12th, 2012, 12:27 PM
FrannyG,glad hair dressers didn't give you the pressure and hassle I got,some of us weren't as lucky as you. They told me I'd look so old when I said I wanted to stop dyeing my hair ,and they so strongly opposed my growing my hair long that I just quite going to them all together as they did not respect my wishes and were not willing to work with me to help me achieve my goals.Are all hair dressers like this? no ,but a lot are.I used to be a military wife and we moved constantly over the years so I saw a lot of different hairdressers over the years. This has been my life experience,if I had found a open minded hair dresser and been able to stay with her[impossible due to our frequent job related moves] I may have had a better experience and maybe I wouldn't feel the way I do today.

Well, I won't say that I'm surprised that your hairdresser weren't keen on the idea of you stopping the dye, as that's a whole other ballgame. I agree with you that a lot of women get pressure to dye their hair, and hairdressers do love to colour hair.

I dye my own, for my own pleasure.

However, I am surprised that your hairdresser wasn't more supportive of you growing your hair out. A lot of hairdressers that I know are supportive of the growing out process, while helping their customers to keep up trims when necessary. And they know what a half of an inch means.

I'm very sorry that you haven't received the support of a good hair stylist. They are out there, but maybe they're harder to find than I thought.

I'm just happy that you were bold enough to go your own way, dulce! You and your hair are beautiful. :blossom:

FrannyG
July 12th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Double post, but I will use it to say that I wish family and friends could be more supportive. Perhaps women like us who buck the trend, either with our length, our natural colour or both, will help to blaze a trail for the next generation. Perhaps the older woman/short hair image will be a thing of the past and more women will feel brave enough to make their own choice.

clanless
July 12th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Traditional women wore hair long at old age. No one in their right state of mind goes up to a stranger like that. The older women who criticized you are merely jealous. I assume younger people and men never treated you as rudely.

FrannyG
July 12th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Someone here commented that many women who are in, say, their 60s and 70s today never had long hair in their lives. This is very true and a very good point. In my mother's generation (she was born in 1944), little girls had shortish hair and bangs, generally. As a teenager my mom had a short 50s 'do like so many of her friends had. Then in the 60s she had a Mia Farrow pixie 'do. She had a very brief stint during the 70s when she grew her hair long (at least by her standards) per "the hippie era." Then she got divorced and sported a Ms. Romano-esque (One Day at a Time) bobbed do with bangs.

As she got older she never decided to suddenly try long hair or anything. She had had her hair short for most of her life and it was what she liked and preferred. She wasn't "giving up," it wasn't for ease of care/because she was lazy, or for any other reason than: she thought it was cute, sassy, capable, and cool and it had always worked for her.

I've cut my hair to be fun and sassy too (I've been doing "the short thing" for about 9 months now, in fact...just decided to start growing again)...it wasn't because I'm middle-aged, it wasn't because I don't know how to care for long hair, it wasn't because I'm lazy and it wasn't because society told me to. In fact, the majority of the women around me have long hair, due to cultural reasons. So when people seem to judge short-haired people in the ways I see judgment here, I feel a bit sad.

GlennaGirl, I really don't think that people are judging short-haired women. There are a lot of women who wear short hair because they like it and for no other reason. My closest girlfriend in real life has the cutest pixie and always has, as long as I've known her. She makes a very bold statement with her cut. I love it on her, and would never hope for her to change it. It's part of who she is.

However, we do know that a lot of women wouldn't even consider having long hair at the age of 40 or 50, because a lot of society says, "don't do it". It's not about what they want, it's about what they feel they can do.

That's what this thread is about, in my opinion, is having choice and not feeling pressured either way. We all know that not everyone wants to have long hair. So please don't be sad, GlennaGirl. :flowers:

dulce
July 12th, 2012, 01:26 PM
FrannyG ,well said.Everyone should be free to make their own choice,unfortunately in this imperfect world that doesn't always happen.I would love to see a few more older ladies with long hair so maybe half have short and half long for the older ladies? But it's not even close to that ratio yet.

moxamoll
July 12th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Just to throw my experience in clanless, my hair started turning silver when I was 16. Now I'm approaching 40 and my hair is about 30% silver. It's been a slow and steady progression. I don't have any major health problems, other than allergies and neither of my parents went white early, so who knows? (I tell my Dad that it was the stress of growing up with him. :lol:)

I'm hennaing my hair right now because I love red hair, I'm not sure I'll be able to carry it off when I'm older and I got tired of the mousy looking white/brown mix. But I look forward to having a long, white mane in the future!

clanless
July 12th, 2012, 02:14 PM
I draw chicks with pixies, they're like elves. Pixie cuts on mature women look okay too depending on the face. But it seems the vast majority of older women, the older they get, go for the cotton candy hair with blue tint to it.

Othala
July 12th, 2012, 02:21 PM
But it seems the vast majority of older women, the older they get, go for the cotton candy hair with blue tint to it.

Hey, don't knock the blue-rinse-poodle style. One day J-Lo and Christina Hendricks might be rocking that look and so might you!

I'm going into crone-hood as a long-haired redhead. Wrinkles and red hair and brown skin with freckles/age spots, LOL.

FrannyG
July 12th, 2012, 02:27 PM
What is wrong with gray hair? Society is silly, but I guess it's because hair color sells.

l
Just as most women are told they need to cut their hair when they're past middle age, women of all ages (unless they're 70 as you say) are told they need to dye their hair to hide any gray. And women tend to go along with all that foolishness just because that's what they're told.

There is nothing wrong with grey hair, and I see many grey haired beauties in real life, in the movies and of course, here at LHC.

I dye my hair because that is my choice. I do not dye it because society tells me to. Just as many young girls change their hair colour because they like the way it looks, I do. Again, just as I've said about long/short hair, it's about choice and feeling free to choose either. We may have different feelings about these things, but there is no right or wrong here.

For old women (70s & 80s) I think the major challenge would be dexterity. Arthritis and other joint/muscle issues would make it hard to bun, braid, even wash regularly. That's why they tend to go to a hair dresser once a week to have it washed and set for them. I plan to have long hair as long as I'm able to maintain it and as long as it keeps growing out of my head!

Ummm, you'd be hard-pressed to call my mum old, even though she's 77. She still works 3 days a week, she cuts her own hair, styles her own hair and colours her own hair, and washes it every few days. Yes, her hair is short, but not for the reasons that you give.

dulce
July 12th, 2012, 03:31 PM
FrannyG is right,it's about choice.I stopped dyeing as my hair thinned and started to break off with salon dyes so I grew it gray and love it! But FrannyG your hair is really beautiful ,and it doesn't look dyed or unhealthy.It's gorgeous.We are all different and have to find what works for us.I just hate the pressure society/beauty industry puts on us older ladies to look/behave a certain way.Short hair is accepted when we're older even expected as we age and I would love to see long hair be accepted the same way as short hair instead of being considered an oddity in mature ladies.Where I live very few mature ladies have long hair here.

dulce
July 12th, 2012, 03:33 PM
At 60 I still have no problems washing and caring for my hair.

browneyedsusan
July 12th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Pixie cuts on mature women look okay too depending on the face. But it seems the vast majority of older women, the older they get, go for the cotton candy hair with blue tint to it.

Hey! I was smokin' hot in my pixie!

(But when I'm 80, I'll have flaming henna hair down to my ankles!) :redgrin:

I think most ladies just go with the flow. They fit in with their friends and society in general, and don't think about changing something that's been so comfortable for so many years.

Catia
July 12th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Most if not all old women I've seen have that short, curly hair so I always assumed that they wear it that way because hair loss and bald patches are inevitable. But when I came here and saw many old women with long hair (assuming you're old because you have gray hair).

I'm 50% silver/white/grey. Even my eyebrows are grey. Guess I qualify :rolleyes:

I suggest you watch some good vintage programming. Most of those glamorous, sultry vixens on the silver screen sported those short curly hairstyles. I would imagine that in the heart of many an "older" young lady beats a purring Marilyn Monroe patting at her curls. We were all young once. In 50 years I'm sure there will be 19 year olds the world over rolling their eyes at the "old" ladies with emo bangs in their face.

I'd also like to reiterate that "old" is not a kind term to use, nor is it apt. I know 20 yr olds that plod along like geezers and 90 yr olds that could kick your butt ;)

Hairizona
July 12th, 2012, 04:47 PM
[QUOTE=clanless;2209725]Hairizona, is there something particular I can learn from your husband? I can't imagine anyone at 40+ actually having full hair like gandalf. But I can try

clanless- my husband could not even grow facial hair of beard quality until he was 55 years old. He began to grow his hair out long from "office cut" type at the age of 65.

He has lived a very simple life now for a number of years on his hobby farm in Ontario.
No special care to his hair; washes it with shampoo and uses conditioner, then air dries it.

He says that his hair is useful for trapping deer flies, mosquitos, and such in the bush at the back of his hobby farm, so he does not cover up his hair for this reason (as well as other reasons, except in winter if it is really cold).

jeanniet
July 12th, 2012, 04:49 PM
No Heidi, 70 is old.

And 19 is old to a 10 year old. Old is a state of mind, not body. Look up Bill Bradley, endurance athlete--he's not 70, but he's over 50, and I'd like to see any 19 year old do what he does.

clanless
July 12th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Hairizona he sounds like the type of guy I want to be like

Bradley is a token example. Strong but that doesn't mean he's young. Old is the age when most people begin having age related health problems and changes. I don't see what you're trying to tell me. What's wrong with being old?

jeanniet
July 12th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Hairizona he sounds like the type of guy I want to be like

Bradley is a token example. Strong but that doesn't mean he's young. Old is the age when most people begin having age related health problems and changes. I don't see what you're trying to tell me. What's wrong with being old?

He's an extreme example, but not token by any means. There's nothing wrong with being "older," but in our society "old" has a negative connotation because it carries with it all kinds of assumptions--for instance, that everyone has "age related health problems." Well, maybe, but the age of onset can vary dramatically, so how do you define "old" based on that?

What we're trying to tell you is that when you're a kid, just about everyone seems old. When you mature, you realize that "old" is in your head more than anything else.

clanless
July 12th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I never saw old as a negative thing, but that may be because age isn't as looked down upon where I come from. But I see why many here may take offense to it, seeing how American people treat the old (assuming most of you are in the US). There's usually a set of milestones that people achieve that marks them as older and older such as kids, birthdays, retirement, grandchildren, nursing home, and dexterity problems (it happens). I'll probably change my perception later but for now, 70 is aged in my 19 year old eyes.

dulce
July 12th, 2012, 08:05 PM
My 67 year old hubbie still runs complete marathons,and there's always some runners completing the full race even in their late 70's,Jack Lalanne still did 1 hr of aerobics plus 1 hr of weights daily till he died suddenly in his mid 90's from pneumonia,so not all those that are older get feeble.Many stay strong till almost the end.

italianamama
July 12th, 2012, 08:33 PM

:D I'm 27 and already getting silver streaks. It's genetics that determines the graying or silvering of the hairs, just like it's genetics that determines thickness, hairtype, terminal length, and growth rate.

MaryMarx
July 13th, 2012, 12:31 AM
"...many old women with long hair..." Oh, boy. Well...first of all, I know you're only 19, but the older women here are in their 50s, a few in their 60s. 50 ain't old, not by a long shot :D. I doubt any of us consider ourselves old, but that's beside the point.

I agree with you. My mom will be 60 in a couple of years, and she's not old! "Old" to me is past 70. :p
(I'm 26, don't remember if that shows under my picture.)

clanless
July 13th, 2012, 01:30 AM
Be careful not to put words in my mouth. I see that a handful told me that 50 is not old, as if I even said such a thing in the first place.

I agree, old to me is 70 and over.

duchesswannabe
July 13th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Be careful not to put words in my mouth. I see that a handful told me that 50 is not old, as if I even said such a thing in the first place.

I agree, old to me is 70 and over.

I just wonder how I'll feel about that if I get there. :rolleyes:

FrannyG
July 13th, 2012, 05:05 AM
I never saw old as a negative thing, but that may be because age isn't as looked down upon where I come from. But I see why many here may take offense to it, seeing how American people treat the old (assuming most of you are in the US). There's usually a set of milestones that people achieve that marks them as older and older such as kids, birthdays, retirement, grandchildren, nursing home, and dexterity problems (it happens). I'll probably change my perception later but for now, 70 is aged in my 19 year old eyes.

I am not from the U.S., but I can tell you that very few people would like to be told that they are old. If you read my post about my mum, you would know that age has nothing to do with being old.

Perhaps you might consider using a different choice of words. To most of us, "old" implies being physically infirm, or not being in touch with what's going on in the world.

I can tell you that there are people in their 90s whom I know that I don't consider "old" just because of their age. Attitude, self-expression, and interest in the world can make people seem timeless.

I'm 51, and I feel as though my life is really just beginning. I'm not looking at 70 as a time when I will feel old. Just older.

GlennaGirl
July 13th, 2012, 10:45 AM
I dye my hair because that is my choice. I do not dye it because society tells me to. Just as many young girls change their hair colour because they like the way it looks, I do. Again, just as I've said about long/short hair, it's about choice and feeling free to choose either. We may have different feelings about these things, but there is no right or wrong here.

That's how I feel about it too. I color my hair and I really don't have any grey. I just like being colorful.

MsBubbles
July 13th, 2012, 11:01 AM
agreed. its the hair equivellent of mom jeans

Oh, hey, I can attest that after 2 kids and countless stretch marks across my belly, mom jeans exist for a very good reason! :lol:

coneyisland
July 14th, 2012, 10:41 PM
As you get older there is much more "judgement" by society in general towards older women who go long and gray[60 and up]I have been approached by older women[ages 60-70] that I didn't even know just to tell me that I was trying to look like a teenager.I would never approach a stranger and criticise her hair to her face even if I didn't like her style[whatever it was]Somehow if you are old and long haired,some people think it's ok to do that. It still astounds me that some people think it's ok to do that but am used to it now and just ignore them or tell them my hair is my business.As I wrote earlier the general hair salons gave me hassle about my hair choices in my 50's so I just walked away.If ever a long hair salon opened up near me I'd be there so fast but till then ,I'll do my own hair for now ,unless I luck out and find a supportive stylist.

The older (my age and older) harpies are the worst of them. If I had no other reasons to hide my hair, their harrassment would be enough cause.

Stellaaa
July 16th, 2012, 10:53 AM
I got my last hair chop at 19 (I'm almost 53) and the pressure to get my hair cut again started at about 21. Mostly from my mother who hated "that old long hair". But yes, one has to remember that for her generation, the "bob" was liberating and stylish, long hair was oppressive and old fashioned.

The pressure has never stopped, although my mother stopped nagging me way back in the early '80's when I pointed to a rather grand-looking punk-rocker on the street and said if I ever get another short hair cut it would resemble the pink and blue mohawk on that guy (I meant it too, still love a great punky 'do).

Each milestone birthday 20, 30, 40 someone would point out that shorter hair would make me more stylish/ appropriate/ younger/ whatever. Finally the nagging stopped by the time I was 50, people knew I was determined to wear long hair in my coffin (and basically I just don't hang around with a$$hole$ anymore). If you are thinking of growing your hair, as a man you will under 100x the pressure I was to get the chop as you get older. Resist!

I do find my hair is more difficult to deal with as I get older because it is changing colour and texture faster than I am adapting to it. But I delt with it scuba diving and travelling and doing geological field work in Sri Lanka during a civil war in my 20's and 30's, I can cope with little bit of coarse grey, disapproving glances, and arthritis now.

embee
July 16th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Dear clanless,

Next year I will be 70. :) I love being "old" - it's more fun than almost anything. I still work - 2 part time jobs (actually 3, but I don't really count that one) and some occasional irregular work. I have my garden, my snakes, my cat and my singings! Keeps me out of trouble. :D

My hair has some gray, but not much - it's genetics. My hair has thinned, due to age and meds... and it was sorta thin to start with. It's a bit shorter than it was: though it's still at term, it doesn't grow as fast now so the replacement hairs fall out before they get as long as they used to - at least that's how I figure it. Big deal? Well, not really, although I'd hoped it would go to my knees... not gonna happen.

Yes, there is some arthritis in my hands and one shoulder can hurt a bit, but my long hair takes maybe 5 minutes total every morning to brush out and put up. And maybe another couple minutes at night, to brush out and braid. Washing hair is no big deal - in winter I'm NW/SO and in summer I'm WO. How complex is that!?!

Being old is a blast, if I'd known how cool it was I would have done it sooner. The only real downside so far is that some friends are dying off. :(

Regards,
embee

noot
July 17th, 2012, 10:54 AM
At 50 I don't consider myself old but have noticed hair changes, especially going through menopause. When I finally realized that I needed to work harder to keep my hair healthy I found LHC. Before coming here I had a battery of lab work to make sure my thyroid was ok then I found Shen-Min products and other DHT blockers and now my hair is no longer shedding like crazy and I'm back on tract. I had decided that I would always have longer hair and never opt for the "poodle perms" that I see many older ladies have here in Florida. The hair loss issue was one on the main reasons that I started hormone replacement therapy which is something I never wanted to do. For me, my long hair just kinda defines who I am and I would feel naked or like someone elese without it, no matter what my age is. Good question.

cecemutt
July 19th, 2012, 12:54 PM
@ noot
What do you take and where do you get the products?
I am 43, 80% white/silver, and thinning a little. (Although Co-washing is really helping the thinning issue!)
I dye my hair(roots only) with Goldwell haircolor - it is very gentle on the hair.
Please forgive me for getting off topic - I do not have PM privileges as of yet.
I will be following this thread(have read all of it) because I will be for the first time in my life trying to grow my hair long and MAYBE letting it go platinum white! :D
Not coloring is still a VERY scary step for me as I have been coloring my white hair since the age of 19!
I LOVE this forum and have gained more and more confidence because of all of you wonderful caring people!!!
Thank you soo much.

noot
July 20th, 2012, 07:27 AM
@Cecemutt, It is nice to see a fellow Floridian here. I live in Stuart Fl, about an hour and half from Orlando. Congradulations on finding LHC and getting an early start on healthy hair. I became desperate when I started having major shedding problems in my late 40's. I tried to ignore it thinking it would take care of itself but it continued. My doc did a test (FSH) to test for menopause and it was very high so although I had said I'd never go on hormone theraphy I did start on low dose prempro. That helped slow the shedding I'm sure but then I realized I didn't want to be one of the pink poodle perm ladies you see in FL so I became more serious about getting the hair I had left to be healthy. I use Rivita shampoo for hair loss, which I've learned to love. It has DHT blockers and a whole lot of other good stuff in it. Around the same time I started taking Shen-Min (a chinese herb for hair loss and vitamins) twice a day. Just with those 3 things my hair has made a dramatic turn around. I do search and destroy on my ends using a magnifying glass so that I can avoid any major trims. Just recently I added the vitamins of MSM and Vitamin C along with Seleca. I'm doing scalp massages in the morning and wearing my hair up during the day to protect my fragile ends. I no longer use brushes, only a nice seamless comb from hairsence.com. I stopped using heat and hair spray and now use real Argan oil and aloe to tame the frizzies. I sleep on a satin pillow case with a satin hair cover (not attractive at all) because I noticed so much breakage in the back on my hair. The thinking is your cotton pillow cases draw moisture out of the hair and along with drying it out causes increased breakage from friction. I got all of my vitamins, shampoo and Shen-Min from The Vitamin Shoppe, pillow case from Bed Bath & Beyond, Hair cover from Sallys. I use good hair scirrors for S&D trim. I've learned that the hair I have left is valuable to me and to treat it like "Fine Antique Lace" I have used just one protein treatment of Baby Face Pure Protein treatment with a heat cap but plan on doing that just once a month. I've used the monistat to the scalp thing for about a month. It's hard to say what helped as I started doing so many new things all at once. I plan to continue the vitamins and may use the Shen-Min for another month before stopping that. One thing for sure is I will always continue to have more respect for my hair. I'm a natural red haired person but am embracing my white hair that is coming in faster than I wish. Your hair looks very healthy in your picture and your color looks natural. Enjoy your hair as it continues to grow long and keep us posted on your progress.

AutumnLocks
July 31st, 2012, 10:47 AM
I think that a lot of women succumb to the things that they are "supposed" to do. I personally don't care for such rules. If you are an "older" woman and you want to wear your hair long then go for it! I am soon to be 51 and intend to let it grow for as long as it remins healthy.

lindaweb
May 13th, 2014, 12:43 AM
Most if not all old women I've seen have that short, curly hair so I always assumed that they wear it that way because hair loss and bald patches are inevitable. But when I came here and saw many old women with long hair (assuming you're old because you have gray hair), I realized that healthy hair is possible for older people.

Long hair, even the old thin ones, look better than short hair IMO. Perhaps I am biased because my grandmother, whom I thought was the best looking "old lady", was also the only old woman I ever saw with long hair. Once she was gone, I never saw anyone over 40+ with hair that passed the shoulders, let alone old women. It's sad because I like long hair on women no matter what age.
Whats this old woman bit,how old is old,im 60 my hair is light brown &grey and nearly waist length

Crabbyco
May 13th, 2014, 06:34 AM
Is it the same around the world?
Here in the States, it is thought that once you get to a certain age(40ish), it's appropriate to have short hair....Blah! I had a pastors wife from another church describe their parishioners as a "Q-tip congregation" referring to the older ladies short curly hair.
A man at our church jokingly said that he kept mistaking me for one of the kids....I'm sure it was a compliment, but I wonder if it was because of my BSL red curly hair.

browneyedsusan
May 13th, 2014, 06:43 AM
I think many older ladies wear their hair short and curled because they've always admired it. It's what they grew up with.
Marilyn Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor, Grace Kelly, Betty Grable and others wore "short" curled hair. Most of them kept it above their shoulders.

Crabbyco
May 13th, 2014, 07:03 AM
^^^ That could be true. When my grandma had a stroke they cut her mid-back hair, so it would be easier for my grandfather to wash.

Stormynights
May 13th, 2014, 07:25 AM
Some older people have trouble getting their hands up to their head. Once a man came to me with bad scalp issues. I used tea tree shampoo on him and ordered a bottle for him. He came once a week for me to shampoo his hair for him, but I scolded him for not shampooing himself in between times. He told me he couldn't raise his arms that high. I felt like dirt for getting on to him. i am 66 and hope I can always keep my hair long but who knows? One day I may have to give it up.

Agnes Hannah
May 13th, 2014, 12:24 PM
I am 48 so am heading down the middle age road! Hair is fine and thin, always has been so nothing has changed. I use semipermanent hair colour to blend in my greys, I have rather a lot of them, they are quite white! I am planning to go dye free one of these days,but need a long term plan to blend in the greys better. Hair is midback now heading towards waist and I intend to keep growing until it reaches terminal or I reach TB, I have always wanted long hair, and now I am seeing results since looking after it so will keep on growing. No more short hair for me!

hennalonghair
May 13th, 2014, 05:59 PM
I'm 54 and do NOT consider myself old. I'm post menopausal and have to admit that the big hormonal change was a tough one for me. There was hair shedding galore along with crazy mood swings but I refused to do the hormone replacement thing.
I opted to do the natural approach and drastically changed my diet. Now I get plenty of mineral dense supplementation from diatomaceous earth, msm and some other things. It took a while but I'm feeling so much better now. I've had an under active thyroid but started taking natural iodine from kelp and other seaweeds which has helped a lot.
Sure my hair is going gray but I henna it and it covers them.
I'd LOVE to go all natural but my hair is almost waist length and very red so I don't know how to make the transition.
A few years ago I opted for the big chop due to chronic fatique and pain from fibromyalgia but that has improved also
I personally think people make the big chop due to health reasons and social pressure.
Don't ever take advice from friends, relatives or hairdressers who advice you to cut your hair simply because its the thing to do.
Cut your hair ONLY because YOU want to.
I think the major difference between having long hair now in my fifties and having long hair in my twenties or thirties is that I don't take it for granted any more. Like others have mentioned it gets treated like old lace which I embrace wholeheartedly.
Being over 50 is awesome. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
With age comes wisdom.

Rosa Harris
May 14th, 2014, 03:45 AM
I do think it is both social custom and a personal care issue.

My Mom is 78 and she has BSL hair. She would not be able to maintain it tho without my stepfather who has to wash and blowdry out and help her style it every day. She refuses to have it shorter, tho. That is just not her and expects us kids to do it for her when he can't anymore. I will, too. She did great grandma's till she died. It hung on the floor while she was sitting when my Mom would go to the home to do her braided bun every weak untill she passed away at 102. She definitely did not have thinning problems - that bun was a monster trying to eat her head! The nursing staff was terrible about trying to get Mom to cut her hair but honestly she looked a lot neater than many of the short-hair residents.

Othala
May 14th, 2014, 08:07 AM
She did great grandma's till she died. It hung on the floor while she was sitting when my Mom would go to the home to do her braided bun every weak untill she passed away at 102. She definitely did not have thinning problems - that bun was a monster trying to eat her head!

That made my day. So good to hear.

eadwine
May 14th, 2014, 08:51 AM
I work with the elderly a lot, and have yet to meet one that has longer hair than shoulder length. It indeed has a lot to do with not being able to get the arms up anymore.

For this reason alone I now vow to NEVER learn to get my braid over my shoulder to continue braiding so I have daily arms-high-up practice ;)

duchess67
May 14th, 2014, 09:17 AM
In my culture only younger girls tend to cut their hair shorter. Mature women (older ladies) usually never cut their hair, they prefer to keep it long. They always keep their hair up in a bun or keep it braided.

chen bao jun
May 14th, 2014, 07:30 PM
I am not from the U.S., but I can tell you that very few people would like to be told that they are old. If you read my post about my mum, you would know that age has nothing to do with being old.

Perhaps you might consider using a different choice of words. To most of us, "old" implies being physically infirm, or not being in touch with what's going on in the world.

I can tell you that there are people in their 90s whom I know that I don't consider "old" just because of their age. Attitude, self-expression, and interest in the world can make people seem timeless.

I'm 51, and I feel as though my life is really just beginning. I'm not looking at 70 as a time when I will feel old. Just older.

I'm foreign even though I grew up in the US almost 100% of my life. Thank you, FrannieG for explaining something that has always confused me terribly. I have never understood why Americans get so upset at being considered 'old'. If the implication is the bolded words above, then that makes some sense. In my birth culture, 'old' does not imply being physically infirm or out of touch with the world. What being older says is that you have finally had time to acquire some wisdom and reached a stage of life where you come into your own and are respected by younger family members and community members too as someone who finally knows something, so other people can come to them for advice.
And even if you did get infirm (which WILL happen if you live long enough), in my culture, you will be tenderly cared for, given the best place in the room, people will come to talk to you first (the opposite of what I see here where the older person seems to get ignored and shoved in a corner a lot, unless they are very exceptional in some way).
I am 57 and I do consider myself to be an older person. I do not consider myself middle aged, because I am not going to live to be 114, I mean, really. I think you are young until you are thirty, then you are in your prime until about 40, which is when you are middle-aged (which says nothing negative about you, you are probably doing well in your career and comfortable with yourself at this point). At around 50, you start to be an older person,but unless you have some bad luck with genetics or disease, if you take reasonably good care of yourself, you are by no means infirm. Although around age fifty-five honestly, you start to notice that more people your age are dying than used to happen. Your friends don't tend to die off when you are in your twenties except under highly unusual circumstances, or accidents, but at fifty-five, the heart attacks, the strokes and so on have started, and you start to not be so surprised to hear about them, though its still not terribly common. But most people still don't die and ages 55-70 are the healthy stage of old age. Around 70, death of contemporaries starts to be a lot more common, especially for men, who don't last as long as women (at least, they didn't used to, it will be interesting to see if there's a change now that the first generation of women who went to work in man-style high stress jobs are beginning to reach that age). But if you live to be 70, in good shape, you will probably live to be 80, which is definitely 'elderly'. that's not to say that aren't people in great shape who are 80, who are vibrant and doing unusual and interesting things. But I think people notice them at that point because they are not the norm. Also, in your 80's is when things suddenly strike you so far as health, even if you do everything right, because human beings just are not made to live much more than 80. With the advances in medicine and health care, more of us may reach 90 in good shape, or even 100 in good shape. But on the other hand, keeping older people alive is expensive and many many countries, I would say, most countries with government run health care, there is rationing and the elderly are not first on the list. It remains to be seen what will happen in the US now that we are also going in this direction (government run health care).
That is what I have seen in my life. I have good genetics on one side of the family as my mother is now 83 and has no health issues whatsoever and neither do her brothers and sister (except for the one who smoke and drank and is now in the hospital incapacitated after several strokes). On the other hand, my father died at age 70, even though he was in excellent physical shape and very active (doesn't prevent you getting cancer) and though one of his sisters is still alive at age 94, she has arthritis that has been crippling her for some time and last year, came down with dementia (at age 93). So who knows. But to me, I am now at a different stage of life than 'youth' or 'middle age' and I believe in acceptance of where you are. I have no health problems (I did have diabetes but diet and exercise fixed it), I have plenty of hobbies and interests and friends and am looking forward to being productive in a new stage as an 'empty nester' and each stage of life has something to offer, youth is not everything.
We are all so influenced by our cultures, however, its astonishing how many of our ideas are not really our own and I know mine has influenced me a lot.

Crystawni
May 15th, 2014, 01:08 AM
The elderly people I encountered in the 80s through my job had hair styles reminiscent of their heyday (1920s). I've noticed this trend has continued as the next generations filter into their own twilight--whatever worked for them/suited them/complimented them "back in the day" becomes their fall-back style. Of course, medication, genetics, agility and accumulated damage does play a role, as does current social custom, financial situation and climate. (How many people retire to the warmer climes and find their hair is too hot/heavy/awkward? :p ) I see a lot of older women now sporting longer locks as they did in the 60s, although bobs and pixies are also popular. The other factor is technology--how we care for our hair, what we can do to our hair, how much hair, what colour, texture, curl or lack thereof... All that. Some of us go back to basics, and some embrace the new stuff, and this, along with financial issues, also filters into choices older people (and those that influence them) make. As our hair and skin change with age, I believe some people adapt and some hang tight to known ways. The results can go either way... Comb overs for men? Darkly-dyed hair on washed-out skin?

As an aside, my parents lived through the Depression, and I've noticed Mum considers her haircare a "treat". It makes her feel better to be fussed over, and the interaction with others (the gossip session at the hairdressers) is an outlet for her. Many of her generation get their hair rinsed and set weekly for similar reasons (as well as the ones mentioned). Now my current generation has the internet to bolster social interaction, so the one-on-one stuff may not be as important, nor how we look to others (we have photoshopped selfies, yeah? ;) )?

I'm going white, hopefully gracefully, and am reverting to the length of my youth. It's me. Ever-changing but familiar. And oh-so-easy! (I still have a soft-spot for 80s hair, though--but nevah evah going that route again! I think. Um, who knows what the future, and technology, holds... :rolleyes: )

Tall Blond(ish)
May 16th, 2014, 06:14 PM
I'm only 38, but I'll speak for my mom. She's 61 and has waist length hair, nearly as thick as when she was 20, and not a single grey. I'm actually pretty stoked about the good hair genes, though I seem to be experiencing a little more thinning than she did (still not thin, just thinner than it was). Her mom (my grandmother) chose to cut her hair short even though it remained full into her 90s. I think for her, it was about style and perceived convenience.

MadeiraD
May 16th, 2014, 06:24 PM
My mom's in her 50s and has no grey (her mom's the same) but that side of the family lives past a hundred regularly... so, and their hair hasn't thinned at all. My great grandmother (who turned 100 this year) is a bit thin, but she abused her hair with perms all her life (and is also 100 years old, so you know...)

Andeee
May 17th, 2014, 12:59 AM
! (I still have a soft-spot for 80s hair, though--but nevah evah going that route again! I think. Um, who knows what the future, and technology, holds... :rolleyes: )
We are about the same age--no way do I have a soft spot for 80s hair! Been there, done that--Cyndi Lauper, Siouxie Soux, Anabella Lwinn were a few that I emulated at the time!

I started growing my hair in the 90s. For me I feel I have re-invented myself so many times over the years / decades and I like long hair on me because it is slightly bohemian, slightly elegant which is sort of how I perceive myself these days.

I am lucky my mom's hair is still thick (she's in her 70s and her hair is in a modern style with layers, about shoulder length--long enough to put up into a claw clip--she has always been fashionable and changed with the times, didn't hang onto the styles of her youth--the same with her girlfriends, for the most part.). It is, however, very grey / white now (she dyes it blonde).

Anyway, at 50 I don't feel (or look, hopefully) old and I certainly don't feel like 'an older person'.

Firefly
May 17th, 2014, 07:54 AM
This has been an interesting thread! I'll be 46 in October and only in the past year have started to find the occasional grey hair. My sister started greying heavily in college... so weird! I think many people cut their hair because they feel it's easier to care for-- something I've never found to be the case. The times in my life I've had short hair required so much more styling and care than when it's been long. Also, I think that a lot of moms cut their hair because they think it'll be more convenient when they have babies (for me it was just the opposite-- I loved being able to put it up and out of the way.) Now, at the stage of my life I'm in, I don't feel a tremendous amount of pressure to cut. That's probably because I don't go to a salon. ;) I hear of stylists often telling women that long hair makes them look older. I haven't found that to be the case AT ALL. In fact I often still get carded and I think my hair has a lot to do with it. I feel like long hair looks more youthful in most cases (I'm not anti-short hair, except on me). For the future-- I don't know; I haven't really considered what I'll do when it gets to the point I have trouble taking care of it. I am so looking forward to having long silver hair, so I hope I'll get many years of enjoying it that way!

longhairjenny
October 23rd, 2015, 10:35 PM
I like this thread. It gives me hope. I know there is a good chance my hair will thin a little with age, but that's part of why I'm letting it go silver. I think the silver helps blend the thinning in a very nice way.

Groovy Granny
October 23rd, 2015, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by clanless

In my area of the Northeast US the majority 'curl up and dye'...as soon as their silver sprouts.
There are the occasional white hairs spotted but their hair is also sworn short.
Seeing a silver longhair here is RARE!

I have chosen to go long because it is easier to care for and I think it looks better on me.

Most likely it is thought that my styling with hair toys is odd; I have never been complimented on it.

I could care less....my hair and style makes ME happy :happydance:

Silverbrumby
October 23rd, 2015, 11:50 PM
I love in Fairfax, California. A hippy town threatening to turn hipster, wait, it's happening! Anyway most days of the week I walk past countless women 40, 50, 60, 70's with long flowing hair. It's awesome and inspiring. These women also tend to be into yoga or dance and eat well so there is so much to love about the total package and how taking care of yourself naturally is what beauty is all about.