PDA

View Full Version : Did my first vinegar rinse :o)

Nymfora
July 11th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Well all I had was white vinegar so I used that. Did it while I waqs showering and once I shampoo'd and conditioned my hair I then put my hair in the vinegar diluted with water mix for a few then poured over the rest of my hair and head and gently massaged and let sit for a few min and rinsed.

Now letting it air dry to see the results. I'm very nervous and excited and I'm hoping it's dry before I head to bed so I can get a pic :D

The vinegar smell isn't very strong at all really and I rinsed it for a few minutes.

Amber_Maiden
July 11th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Love vinegar rinses!

Post a pic!!

KAggs
July 11th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Silly question, but what does a vinegar rinse do for your hair? I've been hearing it a lot, but I don't know what it does. ._.;;;;;

Nymfora
July 11th, 2012, 07:42 PM
My hair is almost dried :D And wow it feels so SOFT!!! I went up to my hubby and said feel my hair, this look followed while he touched it -------> :confused: lol

Getting ready to take a pic but one question, what can I do about the frizz?? You'll see once I post my pic what I mean. I did comb it though.

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj553/Nymfora/IMAG0187.jpg[/IMG]"] ("[IMG)

ravenreed
July 11th, 2012, 07:46 PM
If you live in an area with hard water, it helps prevent mineral build up on the hair. Also, it can help soothe the scalp. I have terrible flakies and itchies if I don't use it.

Silly question, but what does a vinegar rinse do for your hair? I've been hearing it a lot, but I don't know what it does. ._.;;;;;

KAggs
July 11th, 2012, 07:53 PM
If you live in an area with hard water, it helps prevent mineral build up on the hair. Also, it can help soothe the scalp. I have terrible flakies and itchies if I don't use it.

Oooh okay! Makes more sense now! :) Thanks for answering my question. Now, I'm not so much in the dark. ^_^'''

Nymfora
July 11th, 2012, 07:56 PM
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj553/Nymfora/IMAG0187.jpg

swearnsue
July 11th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Do you think it is frizzy or were you just playing with it more this time while it dried????

Nymfora
July 11th, 2012, 08:20 PM
This is how frizzy it gets regardless of me playing lol :) Also I have soft water here.

prettykitty
July 11th, 2012, 10:38 PM
I looove me some vinegar rinsing! :love:

spirals
July 11th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Your hair is beautiful, but yeah, frizzy in the pic. Maybe vinegar before conditioner? Otherwise, I think you're negating the conditioner's benefits. This is my thinking: 1. wash 2. apply vinegar to re-acidify (if using shampoo bar) and/or get rid of minerals (which you don't have to worry about, actually, but I do) 3. apply conditioner to kill frizz.

heyshortyhey
July 11th, 2012, 11:53 PM
I do AVC rinses once in a while for buildup, but my hair gets incredibly frizzy, too! Although, I don't rinse it out. I soak my hair in it and wring it out and let it dry like normal. Normally I do two cowgirl type braids and let it dry and it helps with the frizz.

Zesty
July 12th, 2012, 01:02 AM
I love vinegar rinses, my hair ends up so much softer and shinier and less tangly. Being one who doesn't get frizz, I just wanted to say that I hope someone can help you with that. I don't know why vinegar would make it frizz?

Crybb
July 12th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Please do update us on any success with the frizzies. Your hair looks a lot like mine and I need help!

Nymfora
July 12th, 2012, 09:17 AM
I just took my sleep braid out and finger combed it and it's still very soft, yay, but the frizz is still there. Hmm it seems like all my hairs want to every which way lol. The only reason I did the vinegar rinse was to try it and I do like how soft it made my hair. My hair always gets this frizzy even before I tried the vinegar rinse which is why I'm so jealous of some of the hair I've seen here which is so smooth looking with no frizz lol.

NataschaB.
July 12th, 2012, 09:58 AM
My hair got frizzy too when I used ACV. Weird.

heidi w.
July 12th, 2012, 10:11 AM

First, if you're a blonde or light hair color, you might prefer to use white distilled vinegar over apple cider vinegar (ACV) because the ACV can imbue the hair with a reddish hue, and some people don't like that. ACV specifically has malic acid in it derived from the real apple pulp, and this is said to be good for skin, or scalp skin.

All vinegar rinses do all the rest.

And if you don't like the use of vinegar, consider the use of lemon juice instead, and diluted just as one would the vinegar. Around 3 tablespoons to an 8 oz glass of water.

Vinegar can remove residual product not rinsed out of the hair. It can remove hard water mineral deposits in that hair wash only. Once something has dried on the hair, ACV will not remove it. To remove it after it's dried on the hair one must clarify the hair. ACV is not a clarifying agent really; it can only remove what's there while the hair is wet in that specific hair wash. The other big benefit is that shampoos and conditioners can leave the scalp skin a bit alkaline after the use of these products, and so we need to tweak to a bit more acidic on the pH scale, and using an acid can get us to the neutral zone, around 6.8 on the pH scale, and human skin likes it in the neutral zone.

Some people are able to successfully manage Seborrheic Dermatitis and Dandruff somewhat with the use of ACV/Lemon Juice rinses. One may not achieve pristine results, but improvements can sometimes be noticed. I handled my SD for years working with ACV rinses and Nizoral shampoo. I eventually found a better solution for my situation, but for a while this was all that sort of worked for me.

ACV rinses don't really smell, except a little bit during application. This rinse is literally to be applied then rinsed out of the hair.

If you look up and read about the Acid Mantle, all this begins to make sense once you understand the definition of the Acid Mantle, and also how sebum works as a benefit for scalp skin. Unless you have too much sebum output which is part of what happens in the condition of Seborrheic Dermatitus, and this condition is a particularly nasty form of Dandruff. They're somewhat related......

A lot of people swear up and down about the softening effect of Vinegar rinses. I never really noticed that outcome, and still advocate the use of conditioner. I always applied it after I was completely done applying stuff to my hair, that is ACV after the use of conditioner. But a whole lot of people seem to use it after shampooing and before conditioning.

Do not leave ACV in the hair. That is unnecessary and also not the best idea. I know some report leaving it in the hair and report no issues, but it really is not an added bonus. In hair care if something works well, don't think then more must be better. Not true at all.

heidi w.

heidi w.
July 12th, 2012, 10:18 AM
What are people using to wash their hair that the hair ends up so frizzy. This never once occurred for me when I used ACV. It's simple vinegar well diluted in water, the water one washes their hair in, so I have no idea what's going on that people report this outcome.

If for example you're using Baking Soda as the ingredient for washing your hair, don't do this. Only use Baking Soda for a clarify homemade concoction. And when you remove buildup, you MUST replace what's been removed. You must condition the length. Then the ACV shouldn't have this effect in that situation.....Baking Soda is fairly harsh, and indeed ACV can be used in one's laundry to help remove really foul odors out of the laundry.

Baking Soda can be used in laundry as well to boost the whitening power and help remove stains.

Do not apply both at the same time when you wash your hair. Very bad idea. Doing so is known as a drain declogger home recipe. I've used it, and don't combine the two. Bad idea. Just stuff to know.....

heidi w.

spidermom
July 12th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Combing wavy to curly hair breaks up the wave/curl pattern and causes frizz. If I want to wear my hair down, I comb conditioner through in the shower, rinse, and then let my hair dry without touching it or messing it around too much. I comb it when I'm ready to put it up. Bunning or braiding, especially with a little product like styling gel or aloe vera gel, also smoothes the hair and reduces frizz. I get lots of little short curlies all over the surface of my hair and use gel after I put my hair up to smooth the surface as much as is possible. If I really want a smooth look, I have to use styling wax, putty, or pomade.

spirals
July 12th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Even with the conditioner my hair will pouff out and frizz without product.

heyshortyhey
July 12th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Butting in-- hmm, heidi w.... rinse with AVC, then rinse it out, then use conditioner? I haven't tried that. I guess because I don't often wash my hair, so I don't like to try new things, "in case it doesn't work out." I always left it in. As for the softening, I definitely did notice it. My hair is generally very coarse and rough, but when I use ACV it's very soft! Although very frizzy. So next time I do a clarifiying rinse (which I should have done before coloring my hair the other night, d'oh!), I'll try it that way and see what happens.

OP, Hope you find something that works for you. :/ Maybe more water, less vinegar?

spirals
July 12th, 2012, 08:07 PM
This thread inspired me to do a rinse. I felt it was also a good time to transition over to soap instead of shampoo (which I think is the cause of my recent scalp issues). I washed with my vegetable soap bar--sorry, don't remember the brand, as it's the first one I've bought--and did a white vinegar rinse. I left that in my hair and did my usual condition/rinse/scrunch in gel thing. My hair is shinier than usualy and super curly, tighter curls than I've had in months, even with the recent humidity!

KAggs
July 12th, 2012, 08:31 PM
I don't want to quote the entire thing, but heidi w., thanks for all of that information! It's definitely something I'll keep in mind for the future.:agree:

jacqueline101
July 12th, 2012, 08:49 PM
I love vinegar rinses too.