PDA

View Full Version : Single hairstick buns

lmfbs
July 11th, 2012, 06:20 PM
I love buns. I love hairsticks. However, I only ever seem to have 1 around.

Other than the nautilis and cinnibun, what are some buns I can do with a single hairstick?

WaitingSoLong
July 11th, 2012, 06:25 PM
I do all my buns with one stick. The lazy wrap bun is a favorite of mine. Hypnobun. Infinity bun. celtic bun. knot bun. The only bun I know that cannot be done with one stick is the figure 8 bun.

lmfbs
July 11th, 2012, 06:26 PM
I think I need to retry those then! Thanks - I will be on youtube forcing my hair into buns all evening!

Demi-Plum
July 11th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I just ordered my first hair fork and I shall be on youtube myself looking up buns to try!

A bun I like to do with a single stick is what Torrin calls the "Spidermom Bun" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB5eN0UbitQ&feature=plcp). There is a thread here on the LHC about it, but this video is very helpful for seeing how it's done. I have thin fine hair and it really holds very well! She uses a flexi-8 in the video, but since I don't have one (yet) I used a hair chopstick and it works like a charm.

jeanniet
July 11th, 2012, 07:04 PM
The pencil bun is my go-to. It doesn't seem to matter how long my hair gets, a pencil bun stays nice and neat for me (if you have extra hair, just wrap around the base of the bun), although the bun is getting bigger and bigger! :)

Calaelen
July 11th, 2012, 07:15 PM
The only bun I know that cannot be done with one stick is the figure 8 bun.

:agape: yes it can! I do it all the time.

I'm actually just very curious why you think it can't be done, not being argumentative ;)

I think the only styles that can't be accomplished with one stick are ones that have a lot of loops, or maybe the chinese bun/woven bun

Lady Neeva
July 11th, 2012, 07:16 PM
A knot. (Especially the comet and Celtic knot).

Gumball
July 11th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Chinese buns are one-stick wonders.

battles
July 11th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I love braided chinese buns. My hair is nowhere near long enough yet, but I did one on a friend with TBL length hair and it looked beautiful if I do say so myself. :D

Freckled.Thing
July 11th, 2012, 10:53 PM
I will second the recommendation of the braided Chinese bun and the figure-8 bun, and also add the lazy wrap bun and the Gibraltar bun. Those last two are my go tos most of the time.

Spacescape
July 12th, 2012, 12:00 AM
When I just want my hair up and don't care what it looks like, I use a lazy wrap/Nautilus bun (I'm really not sure what it is at this point, it started when I tried to get increasingly longer hair into a lazy wrap but I think I end up making more of a Nautilus? It doesn't look good but it's fast and doesn't pull and gets my hair off my neck.)

My favorite for a one-stick bun that looks nice is TorrinPaige's knot bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiGTXkUhFKE). Once I've pulled my ponytail through the loop around my hand I find that I have three loops in the knot. One of them, if pulled on, pulls the tail out of the knot. I thread a hairstick through the other two... gahh that makes no sense at all. I just started using this bun and I do it mostly by feel, so it's hard to explain what I'm doing :confused:

Zesty
July 12th, 2012, 01:00 AM
Lazy wrap bun, pinless dutch braided bun (makes your buns look huge), braided buns in general.

WaitingSoLong
July 12th, 2012, 07:59 AM
:agape: yes it can! I do it all the time.

I'm actually just very curious why you think it can't be done, not being argumentative ;)

I think the only styles that can't be accomplished with one stick are ones that have a lot of loops, or maybe the chinese bun/woven bun

Well the instructional video I HAD (I lost all my saved youtube links about a year ago when my PC died) said it couldn't be done with one and indeed, I have never been able to do it b/c the stick goes in vertically instead of horizontally. Thus it just wants to twist sideways and flop out. Now that I think about it, the orchid bun is the same way. It may hold for 10 seconds before I get the other stick in there.

ETA: It is TorrinPaige's video, she even mentions it at the beginning.

bumblebums
July 12th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Well the instructional video I HAD (I lost all my saved youtube links about a year ago when my PC died) said it couldn't be done with one and indeed, I have never been able to do it b/c the stick goes in vertically instead of horizontally. Thus it just wants to twist sideways and flop out. Now that I think about it, the orchid bun is the same way. It may hold for 10 seconds before I get the other stick in there.

You just need a conical hair stick for a Fig 8. But it might not hold as well if your hair is slippery, I suppose.

http://www.prismnet.com/~cortese/hair/styling.html#figure8

Anje
July 12th, 2012, 08:21 AM
I do all my buns with one stick. Celtic knots are particularly good for them, as are infinity buns. But basically any bun can be held with one stick if you have enough length that your buns stay fairly stable. The one I actually have the most trouble with is a cinnamon bun -- at some point there's just too much swirling happening for it to hold well with a stick added at the end.

I do tend to prefer buns with more horizontal sticks, so I don't do a lot of Figure-8s. Vertical sticks tend to pull more for me.

Sheltie_Momma
July 12th, 2012, 09:10 AM

A figure 8 will not hold in my hair with 1 stick - UNLESS my hair is wet. then it goes up like a dream and stays fine. But on dry hair, forget about it...I think this is a YMMV issue.

Arniky
July 12th, 2012, 10:07 AM
one can have any bun then put in the single stick , it will also secure it a bit.

Lady Neeva
July 12th, 2012, 10:10 AM
The Gibraltar Bun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy4CjLbPC_U

heidi w.
July 12th, 2012, 11:15 AM
A Bees Butt Bun can get away with the use of one hairstick, or no hairstick and instead anchor this with a long bobby pin.

I also learned an updo using one stick to hold the whole thing and I shared this updo in a youtube video I made on how I oil (and BBB, and detangle my hair). Maybe you can do this. I think this updo requires around waist or tailbone length hair, minimally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

Enjoy! FYI, just about any updo you do without hair sticks can be done alternatively with a hair stick. I recommend watching Torrin Page youtube how to updo videos....she has some good ideas...

heidi w.

heidi w.
July 12th, 2012, 11:18 AM
The Gibraltar Bun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy4CjLbPC_U

When her hair gets a bit longer, the ficcare will no longer hold that. It'll list to the side, and kind of slowly fall out. She'll have to tweak her how-to.

heidi w.

heidi w.
July 12th, 2012, 11:20 AM
IF you want to see absolutely gorgeous updo's check out JJJ's tutorials on youtube. Sometimes she shows how she does it, but I haven't found one of those videos yet. So far, I just only have seen beautiful updos in youtube videos. And they are gorgeous. She has beautiful hair. Trust me. Just gorgeous. I'd love to meet her in person.

heidi w.

WaitingSoLong
July 12th, 2012, 12:01 PM
When her hair gets a bit longer, the ficcare will no longer hold that. It'll list to the side, and kind of slowly fall out. She'll have to tweak her how-to.

heidi w.

I hold a Gibralter with a Ficcare and it doesn't list. I guess it just depends! I think we all have little variations in technique that makes or breaks it for some people. I cannot get cinnabuns to hold, ever, with a stick and it still LOOK like a cinnabun. Ah well!

afu
July 12th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Lazy wrap bun, pinless dutch braided bun (makes your buns look huge), braided buns in general.

Thanks for the tip about the dutch braided :) my buns tend to look puny so i'll definitly be trying that!

I do all my updos with a single stick, my go to buns are the gibraltar (my first bun), hypnobun and lazywrap but I love trying out as many as I can