PDA

View Full Version : 'V' hemlines, re-hashed.

heyshortyhey
July 11th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Are there any hairtypes V hemlines just aren't good for? I have coarse, curly hair (frizzy, some ringlet curls, others spirals, etc) and I've tried lots of different things in the past, but I'm so tired of the "crap, now it's been butchered, and I have to wait for it to grow back" phase, but I'm also tired of being so plain jane! My hair is very thick, and quite heavy, and from experiences in the past (having my hair thinned, or razored, or cut too short, etc) I've just stopped trying things!

I'd like my hair thinned a bit, maybe with some layers, and a slight V hemline...although for me, layers have ALWAYS ended up being a bad experience. This is where I am now in terms of growth:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/531608_501805566503286_1135391270_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/559194_501805589836617_1598882686_n.jpg(gotta love that boxxy-look)
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/375677_501805599836616_298146952_n.jpg

And my hair before I (stupidly) cut it all off, to give you a better idea of what it will look like at the length I want to try the V hemline:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/29469_134378696579310_7688425_n.jpg

Think it'll be worth trying? It's really the only thing I haven't done yet, in terms of cuts/styles. I usually wear it curly/natural, but I do occasionally flat iron.

riceball
July 11th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I actually think V-hemlines work best on wavy and curly hair! With blunt or slight U-hemlines, wavy/curly hair just looks too big/voluminous. Which is fine if that's your style, but personally I like to avoid that boxy hair look. I have naturally thick wavy hair and have found that cutting to a slight V has a slimming effect that I rather like.

On the other hand I think V-hemlines can be tricky on very straight hair because it can make the hair look thin and tapered.

You have such fabulous curls! I am envious. To be honest I think a V-hemline, a moderate or even severe one would look really good on your hair.

heyshortyhey
July 11th, 2012, 05:52 PM
I want to get away from the boxy look, but didn't know how. No one ever said anything to me, except that if they put layers in it wouldn't be so heavy.

If I decide to go through with it (which I probably will, because I can't leave my hair alone :P), does it matter if I go to someone who is familiar with curly hair or not? I usually request someone who is, but honestly I've had my hair jacked up so many times it doesn't seem to matter who I request.

swearnsue
July 11th, 2012, 05:56 PM
You can cut your own hair into a V hemline. Google Feye's Self Haircutting and look up her method for V hemline. It's really not that hard to do and I think a V would look great on you.

riceball
July 11th, 2012, 05:57 PM
If you trust yourself, why not do it yourself using Feye's method? It's very simple and effective. I use her method and it works great. I cut little by little, adjusting until I get my desired shape.

I'm also just scared to let anyone else cut my crazy unruly hair. :D

If you want to try Feye's method for achieving a V-hemline, here's the link: http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

heyshortyhey
July 11th, 2012, 05:57 PM
You can cut your own hair into a V hemline. Google Feye's Self Haircutting and look up her method for V hemline. It's really not that hard to do and I think a V would look great on you.

I found it once and ALMOST went through with it. Chickened out at the last minute though lol. Maybe I will, this time. I still have a lot of time until it gets to the length I want to make my decision I guess.

lmfbs
July 11th, 2012, 06:16 PM
I thought I had a straight hemline. It turns out I actually have a V. My hair is pretty similar to yours, and I think Vs look best on curly hair. I don't think we can pull off a blunt cut.

My only cavet is that if you get a V now, it might make the sides too short to do anything with, so maybe wait until it's a bit longer?

heyshortyhey
July 11th, 2012, 06:25 PM
I thought I had a straight hemline. It turns out I actually have a V. My hair is pretty similar to yours, and I think Vs look best on curly hair. I don't think we can pull off a blunt cut.

My only cavet is that if you get a V now, it might make the sides too short to do anything with, so maybe wait until it's a bit longer?

Oh, definitely! I'm not doing a V until I'm at least 27in, possibly even longer.

lmfbs
July 11th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Oh, definitely! I'm not doing a V until I'm at least 27in, possibly even longer.

Must have missed that! Carry on!

lacefrost
July 11th, 2012, 07:00 PM
I think Vs look best on wavy and curly hair. Our hair just lends itself well to that hemline. I also cut my hair with the Feyeselftrim method.

If you think layering your hair is something you would regret, I'd suggest you not do it. Especially if you've always been unhappy with it in the past. I think now is the time to learn new hair styles. Although my hair is at waist, when it's curly it hangs at about APL and I do loads of different things with my hair. You can perfect braiding now and do cute styles with it. Like a half up with braids and ribbons. You can also experiment with making your texture look different. There are loads of things you can do. If you like youtube, lilithmoon has loads of great tutorials.

Falcore
July 11th, 2012, 07:56 PM
If you do go to a stylist to get it done I'd take a photo of the exact hemline you want. Better to be safe than sorry.

Goodluck!

spidermom
July 11th, 2012, 08:58 PM
At your length, I had to have layers to prevent the pyramid effect. Like so:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/LONGERSTILL.jpg

I think I've got something close to a V-shape now. Or a steep U.

holothuroidea
July 11th, 2012, 09:18 PM
I think a V-hemline would work fantastic for your hair.

heyshortyhey
July 11th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Then it's settled! When my hair gets long enough, I'll try my first V hemline.

Thanks for your opinions everyone