PDA

View Full Version : oiling without combing?--question for everyone, but especially 3As

spirals
July 11th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I would like to forgo conditioner in favor of damp oiling after washing. But I don't comb or finger-comb at all after taking it out of the towel. I want it to airdry with the roots sticking out from my head and the curls clumped. How do I get the oil in it without disturbing it? Is there a way to scrunch it into wet hair without over-oiling? I have spray oil, but I'd like to move away from it for various reasons and move on to natural sunflower or castor oil. Any suggestions? TIA

Bene
July 11th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Does finger combing count or is that completely out of the question? Also, how do you plan to detangle at all without combing?

And if there's no detangling taking place (wet, dry, finger, etc) do you not tangle at all or is there something I'm missing?

Personally, I put my hair up in a towel until just damp, oil, detangle, and then damp bun. No conditioner. But that makes my hair wavy. If you're hoping to go for frizz free curls, there might have to be some sort of manipulation to get your oil (or other product) into the length.

spirals
July 11th, 2012, 04:24 PM
I detangle while rinsing in the shower before wrapping in the towel. I usually don't have a lot of problems with tangling, splits, etc, probably because I largely avoid brushing.

Bene
July 11th, 2012, 04:54 PM
So there is detangling at some point in time :laugh:

Ok, from what I gather, your goal is to get oil into your hair while it's still wet, with the purpose of encouraging/enhancing your curls. So, the puzzle is to pinpoint the right timing for you. And we're working under very narrow specifications. Oil, no conditioner, minimal manipulation and only while wet.

Your hair is similar to mine, and there can be no manipulation any time after totally dry. That's the frizz zone. So, it's either soaking wet or damp. But you want oil in your hair before you get into a towel, I think. Would oiling in the shower be possible? But then you'd have to put a towel on top of that, is that something you'd consider?

Another option is to oil, when just damp, right after a towel, and airdry the rest of the way.

The only other option I can think of is to oil while soaking wet, then drip dry the entire way. The problem with oiling while soaking wet is that unless you know EXACTLY how much your hair needs, it's really easy to overdo it. Also, unless you've soaked up a good amount of that water, the process can take forever and dry unevenly (ie crown is all dried out while length is still wet)

I don't know if that helped any, but maybe it'll give you ideas until another curly who actually wears their hair curly shows up with other options, and working under the conditions you've laid out.

The problem is that I'm an exclusive towel til damp then oil, then damp bun. My main thing is avoiding frizz, not enhancing curls. The only method I can speak on with any sort of authority leaves hair just wavy and disregards curls altogether. I oil, and don't use conditioner, but we have different goals for the finished result.

lmfbs
July 11th, 2012, 05:03 PM
flip your head upside down, rub the normal amount of oil into your palms and scrunch. If you only use the amount of oil you usually use, you can't over oil. It doesn't magically turn into more oil?

Bene
July 11th, 2012, 05:09 PM
flip your head upside down, rub the normal amount of oil into your palms and scrunch. If you only use the amount of oil you usually use, you can't over oil. It doesn't magically turn into more oil?

No, but it's really really easy (when hair is soaking wet) to over oil because it just doesn't feel like it's enough. If you've got the discipline to not second guess yourself on that end and stick to the normal amount, then that's a viable option.

Also, is this something you do when soaking wet or when just damp? The requirements given were for no manipulation post-towel. I don't know if this is an option unless we're talking about drip drying.

spirals
July 11th, 2012, 05:15 PM
That makes sense. I wasn't sure a few drops could get evenly distributed via water. What about this: oil in a carrier of glycerin scrunched into my wet hair before towelling? Either that or a homemade spray. I like how conditioner makes it feel, but it builds up and my hair seems to like oil better. Plus, sebum never makes it down my hair shafts since I don't brush a lot.

Dorothy
July 11th, 2012, 05:21 PM
I've straight hair so perhaps I shouldn't answer here, but the thing is that I do have to be very careful about not overoiling my hair. I fingercomb, but I think you could scrunch. I think you could put X drops of oil (I use 3 drops of camillia nut oil) in your hands, rub it all over them, and scrunch, rub your hands, scrunch, and repeat until your hands don't feel oily anymore. Maybe that would work. Worth a try, anyway.

lmfbs
July 11th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Here's how I do it:

I do my shower business. I do a final rinse with my hair upside down. I turn off the shower, let it drip for a bit. I get out of the shower, and drip over the sink or bath. You could do this still in the shower if you keep your oil handy nearby.

I use coconut oil that's solid, so I take my usual amount, rub it in my hands to melt and scrunch into my hair from then ends to about 6 inches from my scalp. If you use liquid oil, figure out the amount you usually use in your hair and cover your palms in it.

Then I do the towel part - I plop my hair into a microfiber towel and turban it, dry the rest of me and get dressed, then sometime later, de-turban and my hair is oiled, and untouched from the time I towel it.

This leaves clumped, oiled curls.

lmfbs
July 11th, 2012, 06:05 PM
That makes sense. I wasn't sure a few drops could get evenly distributed via water. What about this: oil in a carrier of glycerin scrunched into my wet hair before towelling? Either that or a homemade spray. I like how conditioner makes it feel, but it builds up and my hair seems to like oil better. Plus, sebum never makes it down my hair shafts since I don't brush a lot.

Nope, don't need to mess with glycerin or anything. As long as your hands are warm, the oil seems to spread perfectly fine.

I tried a homemade spray, but my hair prefers coconut oil and it was a PITA to keep liquid.