PDA

View Full Version : Straight fine hair tangling

sunflower_daze
July 11th, 2012, 02:54 PM
It's been 15 years since the last time my hair was this long, about 1 inch above bra strap. Although I thought I was taking care of it then I was a kid. Now with this forum I'd like others opinions.
My hair is straight and fine to medium. I try to keep it down when I'm not a work but the top layer tangles easy. Does this mean it's dry, needs a trim or just how my type reacts? For about a month I've been doing the CWC that was the first suggestion. Only use a comb and once in a blue moon blow dry and flat iron. Unfortunatly I seem to have an OCD problem about combing it. I can't keep my hands or a comb out of it. Would keeping it up be safe for my fine hair?

panffle
July 11th, 2012, 03:00 PM
When my hair gets tangled easily, I know it's dry. Usually some deep conditioner treatment helps, sometimes a bit of oiling does the trick too.
It should be safe to keep it up as long as you take the proper cautions - don't tie it too tightly and not always on the same spot.
If the ends feel dry and velcro-y then a trim could help, too.

MeowScat
July 11th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Hi sunflower daze!

Same problem here and now I occasionally use 2 drops of Johnsons Baby Oil (which is Mineral Oil) on my damp length. It does help.

The only way for me to help annoying tangles is to wear it in a bun with Spin Pins and sleep with it folded into a satin sleep cap.

Do you S & D your splits and white dots? I'm surprised how much that helps tangling as well.

Have you experimented with oils yet? Coconut is good and I've heard that it can penetrate your hair as well. Read Ktani's article on Mineral Oil in the Articles section at the top of the page. It's awesome.

Welcome to the LHC!! :D

Winnie!
July 11th, 2012, 05:53 PM
My fine hair tangles no matter what. It doesn't matter if I just did a deep treatment, oil, or whatever, it still tangles. However, coney products do alleviate the problem for me. But since I want to keep my waves I've been looking for other alternatives, with no luck unfortunately.

Demi-Plum
July 11th, 2012, 05:56 PM
My hair is thin and fine but I rarely ever get bad tangles. I leave my hair down all the time too because I'm usually too lazy to do much to it and why not leave it down, I'm growing it out so shouldn't I? The main time I get bad tangles is when I'm trying to style it and something goes wrong.
It could just be the way your hair reacts, but keeping it as moisturized as you can is never a bad thing!

swearnsue
July 11th, 2012, 06:02 PM
I have a suggestion for the combing. Buy one of the smooth wide toothed combs. That way you can comb and not hurt your hair or scalp.

WaitingSoLong
July 11th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Hello from Indiana ;)
My hair is super tangly no matter what. Always. Always.

sunflower_daze
July 11th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Thank you everyone!
I love coconut oil already. Use it for cooking, body lotion (I whip it with my mixer, makes it way easier to work with), and hair. I'm really interested in a nice wooden comb. I've found a couple on Etsy. Any recommendations? Trying to read as much here as I can, hard to keep up everything.

brave
July 11th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Loads of people love The Bodyshop's wooden combs. I think they're around $8. I have a bamboo comb that says it's for use on dry or wet hair, which is handy because I use it to place my part.

sugarpixie10988
July 11th, 2012, 08:04 PM
I'm another huge fan of mineral oil! My hair is ridiculously tangly without it, even if it's really moisturized. As for a comb, I actually recommend a Tangle Teezer. I've used a wooden comb before and it would take at least ten minutes to fully detangle my hair. With my Tangle Teezer it takes maybe two minutes, unless there's a really bad snarl. I used to get breakage from combs when I'd detangle, even if I was gentle. I haven't noticed any breakage since I got my Tangle Teezer! I got mine from Sally's for around $10