PDA

View Full Version : Damaged or Just Dry??

Veaslea93
July 11th, 2012, 02:37 PM
So since I've started CO washing about 2 weeks ago, my ends have felt quite straw like, and thought right I'll do a bit of S&D for any splits bit literally only found about two.. So does this mean it's just dry or is it damaged?? And if so how can I fix it??

Tisiloves
July 11th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Sounds more like it might be build up to me. Have you tried clarifying?

Amber_Maiden
July 11th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Try clarifying.

FrannyG
July 11th, 2012, 02:58 PM
I agree. It sounds like buildup. Try clarifying and then do a moisture treatment. It should do the trick, if this has just happened since COing.

EtherealDoll
July 11th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I agree, claryfying should help. But if this keeps happening then you can try changing the conditioner.

jojo
July 11th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Going to echo the rest and suggest clarifying, mine does the same thing when it need it.

Veaslea93
July 12th, 2012, 02:10 AM

Oh really? I was wondering what it was gonna be like when I got build up, I thought it might feel like you haven't washed it even though have kinda thing if that makes sense.. Lol

Veaslea93
July 12th, 2012, 02:12 AM
Would any shampoo work? Or do I need something in perticular?

earthnut
July 12th, 2012, 02:28 AM
Pretty much any shampoo can work for clarifying. It doesn't need to be harsh.

From what I understand, however, is that stiff straw like hair indicates too much protein in the hair. More moisture / conditioning is needed to balance that out.

What kind of conditioner do you use?

EtherealDoll
July 12th, 2012, 02:30 AM
Would any shampoo work? Or do I need something in perticular?

You need a clarifying shampoo, it should be written on the bottle.

Veaslea93
July 12th, 2012, 02:34 AM
Pretty much any shampoo can work for clarifying. It doesn't need to be harsh.

From what I understand, however, is that stiff straw like hair indicates too much protein in the hair. More moisture / conditioning is needed to balance that out.

What kind of conditioner do you use?

I've been trying to use up what I've got at the moment, so Ive been using Aussie Volume Conditioner to wash with, then Aussie 3 minute miracle to condition with

Aredhel77
July 12th, 2012, 02:46 AM
I've been trying to use up what I've got at the moment, so Ive been using Aussie Volume Conditioner to wash with, then Aussie 3 minute miracle to condition with

I just Googled the ingredients to your conditioners - the Volume one doesn't contain any protein but the 3 minute miracle does, along with simethicone, which after I looked it up, seems to be a silicone which isn't always water soluble:

water, cetrimonium chloride, cetyl alcohol, glyceryl stearate, peg 12 distearate, foenculum vulgare fruit extract (fennel), humulus lupulus extract (hops), melissa officinalis leaf extract (balm mint extract), achillea millefolium extract (yarrow extract), hydrolyzed casein, avena sativa kernel flour (oat), simmondsia chinensis seed oil (jojoba), chamomilla recuita flower extract (matricaria), yeast extract, helianthus annuus seed oil (sunflower), aloe barbadensis flower extract, carthamus tinctorius seed oil (safflower), simethicone, stearyl alcohol, lechitin, sorbitol, glycerin, glycol stearate, acetamide mea, cetrimonium bromide, sodium lauriminodipropionate, fragrance, dicetyldimonium chloride, stearalkonium chloride, phosphoric acid, propylene glycol, methylparaben, propylparaben, tetrasodium edta, dmdm hydantoin, yellow 6

So I think it is possible that these ingredients have built up on your hair. A clarifying shampoo should sort it out and then you can continue using up your conditioners as before :D. I'm in the UK and my cheapy clarifier of choice is Herbal Essences Fresh Balance Shampoo with Icy Pineapple & Cotton Extracts (it's in a green bottle). Boots stocks it I think. It costs under £2. Hope that helps :flower:

Veaslea93
July 12th, 2012, 02:52 AM
Ah I see :) Thanks for looking them up :) So what sort of things do I need to look out for in the ingredients when I buy some new ones? Thank you for the shampoo tip, I'll give that one a try :)

Aredhel77
July 12th, 2012, 03:10 AM
Ah I see :) Thanks for looking them up :) So what sort of things do I need to look out for in the ingredients when I buy some new ones? Thank you for the shampoo tip, I'll give that one a try :)

An easy rule of thumb is to look out for/avoid ingredients which starts with 'hydrolysed' - indicating a protein, and ingredients ending in 'cone' or 'xane' - indicating a silicone.

But it's about finding out what your hair likes. Neither of these things are bad for your hair necessarily. Some CO-ers here use coney conditioners with success and some use protein-containing conditioners. I have found my hair likes protein, for example - it gives my hair a bit of weight. But I generally avoid silicones because I don't like the unnaturally slippy feel they give my hair. (And silicone-heavy serums make my hair look horrible). If you like how the conditioners you are using makes your hair feel, it's OK to carry on using them I think. It just means you may need to clarify now and then if your hair needs it :).

earthnut
July 12th, 2012, 09:58 AM
What Aredhel said. :)

My hair likes occasional protein, but not every wash. So I do protein treatments occasionally, but I avoid protein in my daily products. And since I am doing conditioner only, I avoid all silicones, because they are the most likely thing to build up in the hair. (there are water-soluble silicones that are ok, but I find it easier to just avoid them altogether)

If the problem was protein alone, you wouldn't necessarily need to clarify, just avoid protein and up your moisture. But since your product also has a silicone, it's probably best to clarify for now. I just use whatever shampoo I have on hand to clarify.

Veaslea93
July 12th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Thankyou ladies :) Going to clarify tonight and fingers crossed it resolve my problem :)

heidi w.
July 12th, 2012, 10:42 AM
So since I've started CO washing about 2 weeks ago, my ends have felt quite straw like, and thought right I'll do a bit of S&D for any splits bit literally only found about two.. So does this mean it's just dry or is it damaged?? And if so how can I fix it??

Finding a mere two splits is in no way an indication of dry hair nor damaged hair. You oughta see my hair. I have a fair number of splits near the ends.....just the way it is. And my hair is actually in pretty good health overall. Some would say excellent.

Don't freak out over little things. Not worth it. If there's only two you found, simply cut them out and then you'll have zero. Perfect hair, then...

heidi w.

heidi w.
July 12th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Thankyou ladies :) Going to clarify tonight and fingers crossed it resolve my problem :)

My opinion. No need to clarify. You're having a big over-reaction to exactly nothing is wrong with your hair.

heidi w.

heidi w.
July 12th, 2012, 10:47 AM

The description we have to work with is precisely two splits found. No description of increased tangliness, or hair a bit straw-like, or a description that includes conditioner seems to not be working. Splits is not a marker of unhealthy hair, especially a mere two. This is a lot of hullabaloo about nothing. LHC often has no idea what's going on really, and this description completely lacks any indication of actual buildup, so don't clarify. It's not going to fix two splits, #1; #2 it's a harsh treatment for hair and should only be undertaken when necessary. So far we have no indication of necessity. None whatsover. What will help far more is an actual description of how your hair is actually behaving, and very likely a picture would help mountains. I'm betting your hair is fine, and you're getting worked up about essentially nothing. If you want to improve the condition of your hair, instead of looking for all the stuff in a shampoo as your solution, considering undertaking the practice of oiling the length.

I hate to say this, but overall LHC is too clarify happy. It's often offered as a solution to all manner of problems. I am a big proponent of solve the problem you Actually have, not worsen the problem by trying to solve it with stuff that doesn't even address the problem. The only time one needs to clarify is when they have buildup and the description of buildup does not include finding a few splits, or even a boatload of splits. Over the years, I've pointed out posts that beautifully describe how hair begins behaving when one needs to clarify. Too many people are clarifying on a precise schedule of intervals. This is a treatment that only needs to be performed as needed only. There's no need to be on a regular regime of clarifying. Maybe CO hair washers might need to do it a bit more often, and that's about it.

Clarifying only resolves buildup; nothing else. It doesn't fix damaged hair; dry hair. In fact, if you have dry hair, and clarify, this treatment can actually worsen the problem. Dry hair needs moisture; curly haired people need far more moisture than most other hair types. Oiling helps a lot with dry hair, and a variety of other things we wish our hair possessed, such as more sheen, more softness....that's what oiling does for hair: sheen, moisture, and softness is increased.....(if you're concerned about dry hair...)

Also, beware of protein. If one has too much protein in the hair OR too little (both) the hair can begin breaking off suddenly and inexplicably. All hair products have a moderate amount of protein in them. Chances are that your protein level in your hair is fine. I wouldn't mess with it until you perform a protein hair strand test, which many hairdressers know how to do. You can look up how to do it yourself. It's really simple.

I am big on stop guessing around and creating possibly a bigger problem than one has.

Having two splits is not a big problem nor anything to be overly worried about. A few splits is simply not a big evidence of a serious hair problem. It just isn't. Cut off the two splits and you won't have any. Problem solved!

Solve the actual problem you have.

heidi w.

heidi w.
July 12th, 2012, 11:02 AM
OK, I went back and read..."the ends feel strawlike..." ok. I stand corrected. Maybe a clarify will help, but we have this feeling only on the ends. Is your conditioner stopped seeming to work, overall?

Anything -cone on a bottle a lot of people's hair doesn't respond well to various cones, such as silicone. Anything ending in -cone, out. Not an option.

I am one who does just fine with cones, though, so that can happen too.

Really, really be careful of protein treatments. Really cautious. I still kind of think, a big clarify of all the hair may not be the wisest, but since we have the ends described as strawlike, then perhaps....

And to resolve the moisture situation, consider CO washing if curly haired, and consider oiling the length, leaving it in the hair.

heidi w.

Veaslea93
July 12th, 2012, 02:51 PM
I regularly use coconut oil as an overnight treatment, and on the ends after washing. But after co washing yesterday the ends on my hair felt very dry and brittle all of a sudden. I bleach my hair to a White blonde colour so am always very conscious of damaging my hair so the sudden dryness worried me.

heidi w.
July 12th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Then with bleaching, you absolutely should use products specifically formulated for color treated hair, and maybe something formulated for bleached hair. Bleaching can really do a number on hair. I'm sure you know that though.

Curly hair is generally a bit drier than non-curly hair. Colored hair may also be a bit drier than natural hair. Just some things to keep in mind.

Given your recent addition, I'd say try clarifying, but be sure to condition well in the wake of this kind of hair wash, as in immediately following this hair wash and as part of this kind of hair wash.

heidi w.