PDA

View Full Version : Have you changed your hairtype?

rena
July 11th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Yikes, I've never seen this happen before. I'll just retype my query here. (lost my connection and my question disappeared).

My question was: have you ever changed your hairtype classifications?

I changed mine about three times. First it was 2b/2c, then it went up to 2c/3a, and finally to the 3b it says now. I was actually a 3b all along, but it took me some time to realize it because I was new to properly identifying hairtypes, and mine didn't look like any one definite type. I also changed my ii to a i/ii when I noticed that even though it could get pretty big, it was actually on the thinner side of things.

If you've ever changed yours, what was your reason? Was it because you realized your hair was something different than what you thought, or did it actually change into something else, depending on your situation?

auburntressed
July 11th, 2012, 09:56 AM
My hair IS different now because of henna. It has completely relaxed my natural waves. But I started use of that long before being a member here, so I have never officially changed my classification on here.

I can't rightly say what my waves were before, because it was so long ago. I didn't understand that I was a wavy back then, so I brushed them out and had frizz all the time.

But I've got a few old photos of my unbrushed hair, and based on that I'm thinking 2c is what I was. Maybe will someday post and see what others think.

rena
July 11th, 2012, 10:03 AM
My hair IS different now because of henna. It has completely relaxed my natural waves. But I started use of that long before being a member here, so I have never officially changed my classification on here.

I can't rightly say what my waves were before, because it was so long ago. I didn't understand that I was a wavy back then, so I brushed them out and had frizz all the time.

But I've got a few old photos of my unbrushed hair, and based on that I'm thinking 2c is what I was. Maybe will someday post and see what others think.

Wow, Auburntressed, that's quite a difference from using henna.

Zesty
July 11th, 2012, 10:04 AM
I foolishly thought my hair was "very straight" when I got here, but I realized before I put my hair type up that it's actually leaning towards the wavy side and I could never call myself 1a or 1b. I also changed my thickness from ii/iii to plain iii because I have a 4" ponytail and identify a lot more with the thick-haired group in terms of ability to do updos, etc.

Vampyria
July 11th, 2012, 10:42 AM
When I came here I also thought my hair was very straight, (it was curly couple of years ago, so it was a big difference) but then I typed it and it looked like 1c. I always combed my hair then. Then I saw that my under-layer is actually wavier if I don't comb. And when people were asking what their hair type is, those with similar hair to mine got 1c/2a or even 2a.

I did a henna gloss two weeks ago and I think it looks smoother and straighter, but I'm just going to leave it as it is. My hair is pretty short now, so I will see how it looks when it gets longer.

Elithia
July 11th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I haven't changed my hairtype classificaltion since I came here, but before 2006 (when I started CG) my hair looked 2a with huge volume. Wavy and bushy: Hermione-hair. As soon as I stopped shampooing and brushing, and started leaving my conditioner in, it went immediately to 2c/3a, and as it recovered and I cut off damage, it morphed to fully 3a, and then 3a with some 3b. And here I am. :)

Bene
July 11th, 2012, 11:16 AM
My type seemed to have changed with length. With short hair (nape), I was a solid 3b. With APL, I shifted to a 3a. As my hair gets longer, I'm moving towards a 2c. I think the length weighs it down. I just go with the type I currently have. If I were ever to chop all my hair off, I'll change my type back to 3b.

jojo
July 11th, 2012, 12:26 PM
My hair was a 2C when I joined here, now it's longer it's more 2 a and on some days a b. I also use a BBB which has killed the waves, I've never been one for scrunching or using gel to make myself look waiver as I think if your a wavy or a curly using products is not really showing your real texture, If I just wash it and leave it I have waves, there shouldn't have to be any messing about to get what's naturally yours anyway!
Saying that many have joined with what they thought was frizzy hair and started doing co washes and found their waves or curls this way which isn't in my opinion cheating, it's giving your hair what it's crying out for!

Lady Neeva
July 11th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I never did. It was stick straight all the way. (Do braid + bun waves count?)

vamq
July 11th, 2012, 12:33 PM
When I joined the Dutch long hair forum in 2007, I thought my hair was 1a initially. After classifying there (they used the same system as LHC) it was 1b.

When I joined here, my haircare routine had changed a lot already and I was classified as a 1c/2a.

Never thought I would have slight waves. I always saw my hair as straight, but messy and uncontrollable:p

PrincessIdril
July 11th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Yes. When I first typed it I thought it was 2B, however in the last couple of days I've changed it to a 2c/3a rating.
Looking at other people's pictures here made me think that my hair was curlier than a 2b and once I started S&Ding it started to curl a lot more after a wash so that's why I changed it.

MissCoco
July 11th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Yup, I've gone from 2b/2c, 2c, to 2c/3a. Who knows, maybe I'll get to 3a someday! (just kidding) :D

gthlvrmx
July 11th, 2012, 01:15 PM
my hair is losing curliness due to length so i changed it from 3a to 2c/3a but isnt technially still 3a since the new hairs come out that curly? ive got poof to prove it! XD but i changed it because its not as springy as it used to be, theyre like longer spirals now.

EDIT- wait. i looked in the articles on the visual hair typing and im still a 3! yay!

LaFlor
July 11th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I've changed mine a few times before out of confusion... not that my hair has changed all that much :D

EtherealDoll
July 11th, 2012, 01:21 PM
My hairtype changed with length. When my hair was chin length, it seemed like almost straight but with very unruly ends. When it was past shoulder length I had a nice wave pattern and a few ringlets. Since January I started doing regular deep moisturizing treatments(once every two weeks) and now I got more ringlets. So my hair went from probably 1b/1c when short to 2a now that it's longer.

bunzfan
July 11th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Well yeah due to the length i've gone from a 2C to a 2b maybe, if i don't use gel the waves drop out by day 2 so i use them it helps give my hair some body to, but by day 3 all the gel is normally combed out anyway.

pepperminttea
July 11th, 2012, 02:59 PM
When I joined I guessed my hair type at 1c/2a, since that's what it is when it's brushed everyday. When I went 'cone-free my hair definitely seemed wavier, so I switched to 2a. As it got longer, and I didn't mess with it as much, and wurly bits appeared including The Phantom Ringlet™. :p I re-typed recently and got a mix of responses, but mostly around the 2b/c area so that's what I went with. My hair's such a mess of types though, I sometimes wish I could put it as 2a/b/c since that'd account for more of them.

Lostsoule77
July 11th, 2012, 03:00 PM
I put 2b when I joined. Then I treated my hair a bit better and did a hair typing. That got me results from 2b to 2c/3a. I went with 2b/2c because it was in the middle. If I ever get to not using shampoo it might shift to 2c/3a because I do get the random spiral here and there. I also changed from a ii/iii to a full iii. My hair has thickened a bit since I've been here and once it moved to 4" I changed it. :)

KwaveT
July 11th, 2012, 07:38 PM
No. I have debated rather I should change my hair type. When my hair dries after washing with conditioner I notice a good many spirals in my hair and not just S waves but my hair definitely seems a mixture of all the 2 types.

earthnut
July 11th, 2012, 09:06 PM
I still consider myself a mix of 2c and 3a, but as I'm getting further into CO and my hair is becoming more moisturized, I'm seeing more 3a. Hopefully I'll be a solid 3a when my hair is fully healthy!

RitaPG
July 11th, 2012, 09:16 PM
When I joined my hair was F/ ii, damaged from all the dyes, and in desperate need of moisture and protein. I had also suffered with hairloss before joining LHC.
Then I stopped dying and taking care of my hair, and a year and a half later I realized the majority of my hair strands is M! The thickness of my ponytail increased a bit, but still at ii

battles
July 11th, 2012, 09:37 PM
When I first joined, I assumed 1c. Then I thought I might be 2a. Then I thought 1c/2a... I jumped back and forth between all of those for awhile, and then I made a hair typing thread and decided on 2a/2b. Now I just need to learn to take care of it and stop brushing it.

I also thought I was a F at the beginning, but I think I have mostly medium hairs.

ETA: OH, I always thought I was an i at the beginning. I just kind of guessed because my hair was really too short to even try to properly measure it. Turns out I'm an ii, sometimes ii/iii.

I am so bad at this hairtyping thing.

elbow chic
July 11th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Yup, started off in the 1s, like a 1b. Ha.....

lundmir
July 11th, 2012, 10:12 PM
I have had a texture change in the past year, although it is still quite short for me to do a proper hairtyping. It used to read 1a, but now I'm thinking I'm either 1c or even 2a.

Quixii
July 12th, 2012, 12:13 AM
I've kept my hair type the same since the day I joined LHC. My hair has gotten longer, but I don't think its type has really changed.

Avital88
July 12th, 2012, 12:21 AM
I did as off yesterday,when i first joined i didnt really know and i just guessed.

ScarletRose
July 12th, 2012, 12:40 AM
I just changed mine today actually! I changed from a ii to a ii/iii because the last time I measured I swear I was 3 1/2", and now I'm a solid 4". And I once thought I was 1b, but now I know I'm more of a 1c/2a person, leaning more towards 1c. I'm going to check again when I grow my layers out and see if I have to change it then too :rolleyes:

Jing
July 12th, 2012, 01:37 AM
I haven't changed mine yet, but I'm going to once I do a proper hair typing wash at APL. I had chin length hair when I filled out my info, so I just took a wild guess based on old pictures of me with long hair. Without sulphates and cones I am way more wurly than a 1c/2a.

pink.sara
July 12th, 2012, 03:14 AM
I changed with length.

At shoulder to APL my ends flicked out ALL over the place and I thought I was a 1c, but now it isn't being pushed up by my shoulders it's straight as a stick not even a bend at the ends but with a bit more body than a true 1a. Hence me using the 1a/1b :)

Pandora.
July 12th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Over the years my hair has changed. I used to have fine hair yet sooooo much of it, but as I've entered my adult years half of my damaged hair has grown out and the regrowth is still fine but nowhere near as much as there used to be. My hair is now pretty fine in terms of thickness, but it's long and still looks nice long in my opinion (you see some people with super stringy thin hair that's long and it doesn't look right). I still have half the damage to grow out but I'm sure it will look a bit thicker when it's done :)

As for texture, I used to have ringlets up to the age of 5, and then up to the age of about 12 they were waves and after that it's just half kinked, half straight with some uneven waves lol.

ariesfairies
July 12th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Only to change from "i/ii" to "i". Still thinning! :(

Other than that I feel I might need to change to "2c/3a" because I'm just so unsure of myself :laugh:

Loviatar
July 12th, 2012, 07:56 AM
i guessed when I joined that i was a F 1a and I was definitely a ii. I was chemical dyeing without coconut oil, was using ALS and SLS shampoo and coney conditioner, and I was blowdrying and straightening all the time.

I have gone from that to realising I am a f/m (gawd bless henna) and not 'coning and blowdrying every day makes me more of a 1c. Then more recently using amla I am hoping maybe I might even be a 2a if I can encourage the waves.

And as I have taken more care of my hair I am definitely a iii.

Scarlet_Heart
July 12th, 2012, 08:06 AM
As auburntressed said, henna changed my hair. My natural hair is very wavy, but henna made it pretty straight.

Also, as bene said, the longer it gets, the heavier it gets, which pulls it straighter.

And since I started going the natural hair route, I've lost a lot of thickness. Not sure if it's henna, oiling, CO, or something totally unrelated. But I had a serious amount of hair loss last fall and am still experiencing more shedding than I ever had before. Could be hormonal... anyway. So yes, I've lost waves and thickness over the last year or two.

haibane
July 12th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Nope, but not for a lack of trying. I've tried many things to bring out any possible waves, but nothing. :p

CurlyCurves
July 12th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I don't know if this is OT, but when I first went natural, I spent AGES agonising over my hair type.

Since I went natural again, it just clicked..

CurlyCap
July 12th, 2012, 05:16 PM
My hair changes it's curl factor with "dryness" (not adequately moisturized).

I sorta miss my dry, frequently shampoo'd hair. It was 3c with tight corkscrews and sexy wild looking.

If I moisturize the crap out of my, it never splits and hardly breaks, but I'm more 3b with some 3a top. I only have a few 3cs left. It makes me sad.

I keep my avatar saying 3b/3c because I want to indicate that I'm about as curly as you get without being pure 3c or type 4. Not because I don't think I could change it to 3a-something.

Hope that helps.

spirals
July 12th, 2012, 05:25 PM
I just changed from 3a to 2c/3a because I don't match the pictures of 3As I see.

spirals
July 12th, 2012, 05:31 PM
I've kept my hair type the same since the day I joined LHC. My hair has gotten longer, but I don't think its type has really changed.

I think you're a 3b. You don't have loose spirals; you have tight ones.

dwell_in_safety
July 12th, 2012, 05:39 PM
My hair tends to become much more 2c-ish when it gets to midback or so. It's a solid 2b for now, but I remember some ringlets forming when my hair was longer, and that was back when I treated it like crap and brushed it out all the time.

CurlyCurves
July 19th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Only to change from "i/ii" to "i". Still thinning! :(

Other than that I feel I might need to change to "2c/3a" because I'm just so unsure of myself :laugh:

You seem like an archetypal 3a to me :)

My hair changes it's curl factor with "dryness" (not adequately moisturized).

I sorta miss my dry, frequently shampoo'd hair. It was 3c with tight corkscrews and sexy wild looking.

If I moisturize the crap out of my, it never splits and hardly breaks, but I'm more 3b with some 3a top. I only have a few 3cs left. It makes me sad.

I keep my avatar saying 3b/3c because I want to indicate that I'm about as curly as you get without being pure 3c or type 4. Not because I don't think I could change it to 3a-something.

Hope that helps.

I love your comments because you say everything that applies to me.

kitschy
July 19th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I am a 3b, but since my hair has gotten longer some posters think I am a 3a. That's why I have my signature post picture. My curls are still sharpie sized in diameter, they are just a bit sprung because of the length. At naturallycurly.com, they use diameter to gauge curl type and I agree with them.

stew
July 22nd, 2012, 10:43 AM
I'm not sure what my hair type is anymore! Since it has gotten healthier, it actually appears to have gotten straighter. I heard somewhere that using coconut oil regularly makes hair straighter, but I'm not sure how true that actually is.

I'm hoping when it gets longer and my layers grow out, some of my wave will come back, but they'll probably just be the same old confusing 1c/2a waves as before.

HumanBean
July 22nd, 2012, 11:24 AM
I did change it recently. I had made my best guess when I started which was 1b/1c, then finally last week I did an official clarify and air dry, no manipulation, and posted my pic here for typing opinions. It's more consistently waiver than I thought, and I ended up going with 2a.

Juli414
July 22nd, 2012, 08:18 PM
I used to be f, such that my ponytail was fairly small for the number of hairs on my head, with some m and a few c hairs, but the grays that are coming in are mainly c. The wackadoodle grays, sticking out at odd places, are coarser, so they do make up for any actual hair loss.

blondebazinga
July 22nd, 2012, 08:22 PM
This reminds me of the wives tale/ myth that hair changes dramatically every 7 year- im coming up on another 7 years and my new growth is mainly curly vs my very straight hair now. In a way I look forwArd to the challenge of curly/wavy hair but will definitely miss my straight hair very much.