PDA

View Full Version : Magnifying glass to s&d

red-again
July 11th, 2012, 08:07 AM
This is a post only you fellow obsessees on her will understand! one of my daughter's has a magnifying glass which has found its way downstairs in the hands of my 3 year old. I just picked it up and showed my three year old my hands, then nails and then my hair - and wow, a ureka moment, so easy to see any split ends!
And despite bleaching twice earlier this year and just having clarified my hair ( build-up) I have in 5 mins only found three splits.

It is hard cutting the tip off the split when its all magnified though!!

Zesty
July 11th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Don't tempt me! If I start examining my ends with a magnifying glass, my friends and family will think I'm even crazier than they already do.

red-again
July 11th, 2012, 08:16 AM
and mine won't be in the least bit concerned!:rolleyes:

Zesty
July 11th, 2012, 08:19 AM
and mine won't be in the least bit concerned!:rolleyes:
I think LHCers' families have to get used to it. Realistically mine would probably just write it off as one of my eccentricities and move on with their lives. ;)

But now I'm thinking maybe I should pick one up...

red-again
July 11th, 2012, 08:20 AM
the detail they show is amazing, go on you know you need one!

Zesty
July 11th, 2012, 08:27 AM
the detail they show is amazing, go on you know you need one!
Lmao I never thought I'd be enabled to buy a magnifying glass on the LHC! :p And yet I find myself browsing them on Amazon... They're even reasonably priced! :thumbsup:

red-again
July 11th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Not your classic (pardon the pun!!) enabling granted but fun all the same!
Laughing at you looking at them on Amazon. I bow down to you oh obsessed one!

heidi w.
July 11th, 2012, 10:13 AM
To best see the splits and not have to hold anything other than scissors and to make a reliable cut, it is paramount to work against a backdrop that is opposite one's hair color, and in very strong light (both) such as halogen light or sunlight. That's the best way to see fairly easily when S&Ding.

heidi w.

SpinDance
July 11th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Oh dear! I have to take my glasses off to S&D, but I think there may be a magnifying glass in the desk.... O.o

Kyla
July 11th, 2012, 10:32 AM
I wish I could only see my splits with a magnifying glass, right now they are pretty obvious to me. :( That 's a very good idea to use after my next trim though!

heidi w.
July 11th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Oh dear! I have to take my glasses off to S&D, but I think there may be a magnifying glass in the desk.... O.o

Me too. I just plain don't see well, even WITH glasses. LOL

heidi w.

noot
July 11th, 2012, 10:50 AM
I use my husbands illuminated fly tyeing magnifying glass. It is mounted to the desk with a C clamp. I have spent hours doing S&D for split ends. I want to mention also that I have often had trouple with split ends at the back of my head. They have been so bad that I've had to cut my hair on several occasions because I've had a horse shoe shape to the back of my head. Since getting serious about healthy hair I've figured out that while sleeping on my back I have been causing damage to that area of my hair. Now I always use a satin night cap and satin pillow case and apply a touch of Argan oil to the back before I braid hair up over my head. I'm thinking this may help increase what I thought was my terminal length by decreasing the split ends and breakage. Any other thoughts?

luxepiggy
July 11th, 2012, 11:06 AM
You know those magnifying reading glasses that they sell at the drugstore? Awesome for S&D (^(oo)^)v

SpinDance
July 11th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Good idea, luxepiggy, for those who don't have terrible eyes like mine. I already have bifocals, but I have to take them off to do S&D, or any other close type work.

jeanniet
July 11th, 2012, 12:15 PM
For whatever reason, my close-up vision has gotten much better with age. Tiny print on pill bottles? Not a problem! I wear glasses for distance, but anything within about 12" and down to about a 4pt font I can read just fine. I can see well enough to S & D, but I don't think I want to see my ends magnified! :D

lunalocks
July 11th, 2012, 12:18 PM
I use super strong (much stronger than my usual) reading glasses. Hands free! yes, those in my family think I'm nuts.

Tia2010
July 11th, 2012, 12:23 PM
I always use a small magnifing glass to S&D . It's to hard to see them without one :)

ETA: I think I'm going to try the magnifying glasses idea! Much easier to have two hands free!

red-again
July 11th, 2012, 12:26 PM
I should have known I wasn't the only one!!
I love the way that with a magnifying glass I can trim literally mm off a strand and ones near it that lI would trim because I would assume they are damaged, in fact aren't so I can leave them alone!

CurlyMopTop
July 11th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Ohhhh! Why didn't I think of this? :D I'm so going to try this. I've never found a split, I've just always assumed that the hair breaks off before it splits, but my eyes are horrible and I have fine hair.

luxepiggy
July 11th, 2012, 12:59 PM
I always use a small magnifing glass to S&D . It's to hard to see them without one :)

ETA: I think I'm going to try the magnifying glasses idea! Much easier to have two hands free!

It's incredibly convenient - they even have magnifying glasses with tiny integrated lights! (^(oo)^)v

red-again
July 11th, 2012, 01:45 PM
what HAVE I started!!

Avital88
July 11th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Don't tempt me! If I start examining my ends with a magnifying glass, my friends and family will think I'm even crazier than they already do.

hahaha i was thinking exactly this!