PDA

View Full Version : Build up on scalp/dryness...

joflakes
July 11th, 2012, 12:54 AM
I always seem to have buildup on my scalp. Whenever I scratch my head, there is a lot of white stuff under my nails (gross I know).

I wash and condition every other day. I don't pile it atop my head, I kinda smooth it all down the lengths to get a lather.

My hair also feels a bit dry when I braid it damp and then take it out dry...also when I go in the rain.

Anyone care to advise?

I'd be interested in any homemade deep conditioning treatments that are very cheap and easy. I currently coconut oil about once a week.

TIA :flower:

ETA: I don't buy any products that are not vegan, or cruelty free which limits the products I can buy.

lmfbs
July 11th, 2012, 01:22 AM
I recommend clarifying, then stretching washes. Sounds like the white stuff is sebum or a dry scalp, either which will probably be helped by stretching washes a bit.

ariesfairies
July 11th, 2012, 01:45 AM
That white gunky stuff that you get under your nails from the scalp; I've always thought that was dandruff. I've been trying to treat that with anti-dandruffs with no avail. So is this something that should be treated with conditioning?..

Ciridae
July 11th, 2012, 02:39 AM
That white gunky stuff that you get under your nails from the scalp; I've always thought that was dandruff. I've been trying to treat that with anti-dandruffs with no avail. So is this something that should be treated with conditioning?..
I used to get this too before I switched to CO. In my case it was a combo of dry flaky scalp and excess sebum. Oily dandruff, basically. As soon as I quit drying the hell out of my scalp and hair with SLS, the problem went away. I still CO every second day or so, but boy, my scalp is so clean and totally itch-free at last! :D

ariesfairies
July 11th, 2012, 03:13 AM
I used to get this too before I switched to CO. In my case it was a combo of dry flaky scalp and excess sebum. Oily dandruff, basically. As soon as I quit drying the hell out of my scalp and hair with SLS, the problem went away. I still CO every second day or so, but boy, my scalp is so clean and totally itch-free at last! :D

Well then, if that's so then you know what I'll be trying tonight! :p

Amanah
July 11th, 2012, 03:22 AM
I would try scalp massages with jojoba oil to moisturize and loosen scalp debris before CO washing.
I would recommened CO washing with something like Suave Naturals to clean the scalp and hair,
Then using a more moisturizing conditioner to relieve any dryness.

Ciridae
July 11th, 2012, 03:24 AM
I would try scalp massages with jojoba oil to moisturize and loosen scalp debris before CO washing.
I would recommened CO washing with something like Suave Naturals to clean the scalp and hair,
Then using a more moisturizing conditioner to relieve any dryness.

This is excellent advice! :cheer:

joflakes
July 11th, 2012, 03:52 AM
Okay. Thanks! Suave Naturals are made by Unilever who test on animals, though. Also I live in the UK so don't think I'll be able to find it in any case.

I think I'm gonna clarify, have a good scritch, do a EVOO+avocado deep treatment and then CO wash.

How much conditioner does one need for SL hair to CO? Silly question...how do you actually do it? Do you use it like shampoo?

ariesfairies
July 11th, 2012, 05:06 AM
Yeah, I never seen Suave products in Australia either.

Hair soaking wet after 2nd CO (only just read about trying to get the debris off, good idea), I'm gonna try moisturise with EVOO. No jojoba on hand. Lets see how goes.

Bopoluchi
July 11th, 2012, 06:19 AM
if its dandruff, you could spread a drop of tea-tree or eucalyptus oil on your fingers and massage it into your scalp, although if you have sensitive skin, its probably a good idea to dilute the oil first as they're both pretty hard-core. scritching regularly (like once or twice daily) with your finger-nails or a seam-free comb could help. if its dry skin you could try massaging a drop of some kind of carrier oil into your scalp, coconut oil might be a good call cos its also good for dandruff.

afu
July 11th, 2012, 06:42 AM
sometimes I get this, what I do is I massage my scalp using my tangle teezer in the shower when I'm COing, it feels lovely and loosens anything hanging onto your scalp

joflakes
July 11th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Thank you all for your lovely replies!
I'm so pushed for time today so here is what I have done thus far:

Shampooed with clarifying shampoo, had a good scratch of my head in the shower.

Left it to dry :o

It feels lovely. No conditioner, no oils, nothing. Is it possible I don't NEED conditioner?! Like...shampoo only?!