PDA

View Full Version : Thickener for henna gloss?

raingirl
July 10th, 2012, 03:52 PM
I loved the henna gloss but not the runny part of it. I've been trying to think of ways to create a nice gel to use for future glosses. I've seen all kinds of suggestions here and online, such as yogurt, oils, coconut milk, conditioner, etc. It seems that most of those thin out or go runny as they warm up.

I love doing molecular gastronomy (food chemistry) at home. I happen to have some Methyl Cellulose (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_cellulose) at home waiting to be used. The benefit of this powder is I can mix it with the henna first, then add a warm/hot liquid to the mix, and it will thicken as it cools. However, unlike other substances that get thinner as they warm up (i.e. on your hair, under plastic, under a hot towel), this substance actually solidifies as it gets hotter. It's actually used to make "hot ice cream" in restaurants like Alinea (http://www.alinea-restaurant.com/)(which I've requested as birthday present this year).

I figure since it's already in most shampoos out there anyway, it can't hurt. It seems like it might be something worth me trying as a viable easy solution to dilute henna for a henna gloss.

raingirl
July 10th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Since I can't edit posts yet, here is some more info on it for beauty products:

http://www.chemistrystore.com/methylcellulose2.pdf

browneyedsusan
July 10th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Please update on how it turns out!
I like henna glosses, because they're quick and boost the color, but they're so much more messy than a straight henna!

raingirl
July 12th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Yeah, it worked to thicken it, but I don't think it was better than conditioner. I still got drippies of water that separated from the gel. Oh well, was worth a try.

browneyedsusan
July 12th, 2012, 08:19 AM
bummer..........

Natalia
July 13th, 2012, 10:21 PM
maybe next time try menthi (fenugreek)?

midsummernight
July 13th, 2012, 10:51 PM
How about corn starch or honey?

cocolover
July 13th, 2012, 11:38 PM
I use amla as my thickener and to save my curls as well :)

tiny_teesha
July 13th, 2012, 11:53 PM
I think that corn startch paste, added to a pan and slowly add water would work well as a good gel, to then once cooled you can add conditioner and henna??

This is just an idea, but also once i recall makeing a linseed leave in conditioner that could also be used to thicken?

browneyedsusan
December 20th, 2012, 08:44 AM
bump

I just put about a tablespoon of xanthan gum in a henna gloss and it thickened right up. I've been sitting for 45 minutes, and no drips! We'll see how it goes after a couple more hours and if it covered ALL of my roots. --You know how it goes: great coverage = drips galore, no drips = spotty coverage.... I hope this works. If it does, I'll be able to stretch my henna supply a looonnng way!

raingirl
December 20th, 2012, 09:06 AM
This idea still fascinates me even though I don't do the henna anymore.

I've been researching whether the liquid you get from henna paste has sufficient lawsone that you could effectively strain out the green gunk (think yogurt cheese). Make very thin/watery henna paste, let dye release, then strain in a colander and then thicken the extracted liquid. Maybe use gelatin for the dual effect of a protein treatment?

browneyedsusan
December 20th, 2012, 10:32 AM
It rinsed out weird. The xanthan gelled everything up into a glob, and I was afraid it wouldn't rinse out, but alternated conditioner and shampoo until it came out. It looks like the color covered pretty good. I'll definitely try it again.

ChloeDharma
December 21st, 2012, 08:48 AM
I 2nd the methi (funugreek seed) suggestion. The powder is best to use and it swells and thickens over a little while so definitely resist the urge to add lots at first. It also is beautifully conditioning and is used to stimulate hair growth. You need to use the powdered seeds rather than the leaves though.

I should actually take my own advice here and do it.