PDA

View Full Version : 30 days Water Only - DUDE with 24 inches of CURLY HAIR does it again!

Long_Curls
July 10th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Hey all!

Finished another 30 days of water only (W/O). This time, however, with even longer curls.

I was not planning to post the pictures on my site and was instead going to only record the results and keep the pictures for myself to learn from this experiment. However, I thought that perhaps posting the pictures in this forum could be of use as I know there are some curly heads hidden somewhere (hi!) and W/O is also of interest here.

As it goes, I'm a male with curly hair, have done 30 days W/O quite a few times already and documented one of the times back in December with hair shorter. It was also winter time back then and if I already sweat a lot, now during summer it is worse especially with the thick helmet that my curly hair creates.

This time, the 30 day W/O was not as successful as last time. It all went as expected from what I had already learnt but the sebum deposition on the segment of the hair strands closest to the scalp (base of locks) was getting out of order despite I have been running my fingers through the locks as I always do. The hair was looking optimal until the 3 week mark, although I have found that a properly timed shampoo session at the 2 week mark is the best when doing W/O.

Still, I didn't end up looking anti-social (this is my cue to stop my experiments) and I did get compliments the times I went out to pubs or clubs (bizarrely, this is another cue I use to gauge how any experiment I do is faring). I have gone out more this time than I did in back in the winter W/O experiment so my hair was exposed more to 2nd hand smoke which 1) Is extremely annoying to remove without shampoo and 2) I have found it to negatively affect the looks of my hair when exposed too much.

You can find the pictures below. Bad lighting and not the best of picture taking; I was intending to only put them in the database of results I keep for my hair experiments but I might as well post them here too for those interested in grooming minimalism and water only stuff!

Lastly, the top of my hair is approximately 24 inches long and it coils back to 13 inches.The curls on the rest of my scalp are considerably shorter due to continually clipping anything below temple level to a #1 (big mistake I made during the first year of growth). In the last picture, a good chunk of of the hair on the top of the head is pulled back as the 24 inches of curls are getting very voluminous and I find myself all the time having to flick my hair back to keep the beast (loving term for my hair) from flaring out in all its glory.

Hope you are doing all well.

All the best.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/OneCurlyMan/30daywateronly4.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/OneCurlyMan/30daywateronly3.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/OneCurlyMan/30daywateronly5.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/OneCurlyMan/30daywateronly2-1.jpg

KittyPTY
July 10th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Hey all!

Finished another 30 days of water only (W/O). This time, however, with even longer curls.

I was not planning to post the pictures on my site and was instead going to only record the results and keep the pictures for myself to learn from this experiment. However, I thought that perhaps posting the pictures in this forum could be of use as I know there are some curly heads hidden somewhere (hi!) and W/O is also of interest here.

As it goes, I'm a male with curly hair, have done 30 days W/O quite a few times already and documented one of the times back in December with hair shorter. It was also winter time back then and if I already sweat a lot, now during summer it is worse especially with the thick helmet that my curly hair creates.

This time, the 30 day W/O was not as successful as last time. It all went as expected from what I had already learnt but the sebum deposition on the segment of the hair strands closest to the scalp (base of locks) was getting out of order despite I have been running my fingers through the locks as I always do. The hair was looking optimal until the 3 week mark, although I have found that a properly timed shampoo session at the 2 week mark is the best when doing W/O.

Still, I didn't end up looking anti-social (this is my cue to stop my experiments) and I did get compliments the times I went out to pubs or clubs (bizarrely, this is another cue I use to gauge how any experiment I do is faring). I have gone out more this time than I did in back in the winter W/O experiment so my hair was exposed more to 2nd hand smoke which 1) Is extremely annoying to remove without shampoo and 2) I have found it to negatively affect the looks of my hair when exposed too much.

You can find the pictures below. Bad lighting and not the best of picture taking; I was intending to only put them in the database of results I keep for my hair experiments but I might as well post them here too for those interested in grooming minimalism and water only stuff!

Lastly, the top of my hair is approximately 24 inches long and it coils back to 13 inches.The curls on the rest of my scalp are considerably shorter due to continually clipping anything below temple level to a #1 (big mistake I made during the first year of growth). In the last picture, a good chunk of of the hair on the top of the head is pulled back as the 24 inches of curls are getting very voluminous and I find myself all the time having to flick my hair back to keep the beast (loving term for my hair) from flaring out in all its glory.

Hope you are doing all well.

All the best.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/OneCurlyMan/30daywateronly4.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/OneCurlyMan/30daywateronly3.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/OneCurlyMan/30daywateronly5.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/OneCurlyMan/30daywateronly2-1.jpg

You got some nice curls! I haven't tried w/o yet, but how frequently you w/o? you w/o everyday on those 30 days?

carolinaberry
July 10th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Gorgeous curls!

bunzfan
July 10th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Oh wow your curls are just stunning :thudpile: i'm super jealous but i bet they are hard work.

Long_Curls
July 10th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Thank you all for the replies!

You got some nice curls! I haven't tried w/o yet, but how frequently you w/o? you w/o everyday on those 30 days?

I do water only as I feel like for different periods. This was a whole 30 days without using any hair products whatsoever, all I did was get in the shower, run the water over my curls and work my fingers through the curls, that's all. W/O was done every day of these last 30 days.

Oksana
July 10th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Your curls are amazing! WO seems to work well for you.

Long_Curls
July 10th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Your curls are amazing! WO seems to work well for you.

It does although I find that at the 2 week mark I have to throw in a shampoo to get rid of the sebum that will start to accumulate at that time. Now, after the 30 days, the segment of the strands closest to the scalp have way too much sebum and this is causing frizz and the hair to feel a bit hay-like.

I have certainly had more success when my hair was shorter although I consider W/O to be a magnificent and convenient approach regardless of hair length.

ratgirldjh
July 10th, 2012, 04:17 PM
I think it looks amazing! Good job! Maybe just wash with diluted shampoo every 2 weeks? I love how your curl formation is so perfect!

What makes me sad is I expect that dbf's hair would be like yours if he wouldn't A/ either brush it grrr... or B/shave it off to 1/4 inch...

Beautiful hair!

Creatureling
July 10th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Those curls!!! :drool:
You must be so proud.

Long_Curls
July 10th, 2012, 04:37 PM
I think it looks amazing! Good job! Maybe just wash with diluted shampoo every 2 weeks? I love how your curl formation is so perfect!

What makes me sad is I expect that dbf's hair would be like yours if he wouldn't A/ either brush it grrr... or B/shave it off to 1/4 inch...

Beautiful hair!

I go out of my way to advise my readers to avoid hair brushes if they hair curly hair. Hair brushes were one of those things that had a major impact on my hair once I stopped using them. That was all the way back in 2001 mind you, and the only time I have come close to a hair brush again was if one of the girls I was dating had one in the bathroom.

As for shaving it, damn, I can relate. Most curly men shave/clip/keep it short and boring due to lack of knowledge/inspiration; maybe force him to pass by my site to get some encouragement on his curls, you can have him reading the dudes that so far have been featured on my site talking about their lives and their manes :cheese: Here is the link to see all of the fellas featured already

http://www.manlycurls.com/tag/curly-hair-men-talk/

There's more of them coming, so tell him to keep an eye. I'm sure he will at least be curious to join us over in the dark side (we need a "super evil grin" smilie in here somehow!)

ratgirldjh
July 10th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I go out of my way to advise my readers to avoid hair brushes if they hair curly hair. Hair brushes were one of those things that had a major impact on my hair once I stopped using them. That was all the way back in 2001 mind you, and the only time I have come close to a hair brush again was if one of the girls I was dating had one in the bathroom.

As for shaving it, damn, I can relate. Most curly men shave/clip/keep it short and boring due to lack of knowledge/inspiration; maybe force him to pass by my site to get some encouragement on his curls, you can have him reading the dudes that so far have been featured on my site talking about their lives and their manes :cheese: Here is the link to see all of the fellas featured already

http://www.manlycurls.com/tag/curly-hair-men-talk/

There's more of them coming, so tell him to keep an eye. I'm sure he will at least be curious to join us over in the dark side (we need a "super evil grin" smilie in here somehow!)

Thanks but I just showed him your hair and he said - my hair would never do that... lol grrr

I'm going to email him your website though...

I did get him to do CO washing for a couple of months once and he had perfect ringlets but then he would BRUSH them and squish them down flat! He just doesn't get it!!!

At least he uses soap now instead of body wash or something really harsh like he used to. But he just can't stand to have a lot of hair - it gets really hot here.

I will say this: it is super annoying to be a barely wavy and have your dbf have amazing curly hair and then just torture it lol. he (and you) have the kind of hair I dream of...

Diamond.Eyes
July 10th, 2012, 04:50 PM
You have a beautiful curl pattern and your hair looks to be quite healthy! Happy to hear WO is working so well! I'm definitely jealous of those curls! :p

lapushka
July 10th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Nice that you've found a method that's great for you. Those are to die for curls! :)

Alvrodul
July 10th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Oh my, those curls are amazing!! :love:

owlathena
July 10th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Oooh your curls are amazing!

Long_Curls
July 10th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Thanks again to all for the replies so far :)

Thanks but I just showed him your hair and he said - my hair would never do that... lol grrr

I'm going to email him your website though...

I did get him to do CO washing for a couple of months once and he had perfect ringlets but then he would BRUSH them and squish them down flat! He just doesn't get it!!!

At least he uses soap now instead of body wash or something really harsh like he used to. But he just can't stand to have a lot of hair - it gets really hot here.

I will say this: it is super annoying to be a barely wavy and have your dbf have amazing curly hair and then just torture it lol. he (and you) have the kind of hair I dream of...

You know, when I was kid I didn't like my hair and I wanted it to be straight. Since changing one's genetic code will not be viable for another few decades, I decided to embrace that which my body produces naturally. Embracing my hair also meant knowing how to take care of it which then made it possible to be able to have hair that didn't look like I had a dead rat on top of my head.

I'm sure he has some quality hair that could be sported in some cool "manly" way; buzz cuts should be just another option and not self-imposing!

jeanniet
July 10th, 2012, 05:20 PM

Beautiful hair!
My son has looser, but amazing curls, and the only way he will cut his hair is to buzz it all off. Grows it out, buzzes it off. It drives me crazy. You can't argue with a 16 year old! he doesn't brush it, at least.

Long_Curls, you have seriously amazing hair!

annah
July 10th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Just wanted to say WOW. Your hair is so awesomely amazing!

BrightEyes
July 10th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Your curls are gorgeous!

Yozhik
July 10th, 2012, 05:40 PM
What awesome hair -- I love the curls, and I'm impressed by how well your hair responds to WO. :thumbsup:

Tia2010
July 10th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Oh wow! You have amazing curls!

secondrain
July 10th, 2012, 05:47 PM
I have tried dozens of conditioners, oils, gels--you name it--to get my curls to behave and you've managed to do it perfectly...with water.

I can't even begin to explain how jealous I am right now!!

Helix
July 10th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Can't argue with the results. You're curls are gorgeous!

meishkamooshka
July 10th, 2012, 05:57 PM
I think I may be drooling...you have incredible hair, man!

ozzy
July 10th, 2012, 06:15 PM
wow, you have beautiful hair

Loviatar
July 10th, 2012, 06:26 PM
So envious of your curls and of your WO success. I am a straight haired finey and WO hates me :D

Falcore
July 10th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Such beautiful curls!

ratgirldjh
July 10th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Thanks again to all for the replies so far :)
You know, when I was kid I didn't like my hair and I wanted it to be straight. Since changing one's genetic code will not be viable for another few decades, I decided to embrace that which my body produces naturally. Embracing my hair also meant knowing how to take care of it which then made it possible to be able to have hair that didn't look like I had a dead rat on top of my head.

I'm sure he has some quality hair that could be sported in some cool "manly" way; buzz cuts should be just another option and not self-imposing!

I agree. I think it comes down to he just doesn't care! He would rather just cut it than have to figure out anything or learn about hair and I can't make him so I just let him do what he wants! :shrug:

MrsGuther
July 10th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Your curls are GORGEOUS!

MiamiPineapple
July 10th, 2012, 07:45 PM
It is safe to say I am REALLY jealous of those curls :)

Long_Curls
July 11th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Quickly passing by to thank you all for the kind words.

I am intending to continue growing my curls if all goes as planned: a good goal I have in mind is 30 inches which I would hit by early next year, although for now and as I mentioned, I just want to keep growing it without any commitments. The experience so far has been very enriching and eye-opening.

Thank you all again.