PDA

View Full Version : Where to find haircut ideas?

brave
July 10th, 2012, 12:18 PM
I am going to get my hair cut, for the first time in my life, at a fancy place! :cheese: In august. As a birthday present. My mom went there previously after we bought her a gift certificate and loved it -- the stylist did a great job with her hair, brought out a lot of curls, etc. I've never felt particularly confident in whoever was cutting my hair before, either because it was Susan who occasionally forgets her blood pressure meds along with the cut we agreed upon, or a random person at a beauty college/cheapie mall place.

I know I want a style that doesn't require much in the way of styling beyond "product + air dry". I have very wiry, coarse and dry, 2c hair that is spiraly and wavy underneath and loosly wavy on top. Tons of pictures in the profile, and probably all over the forums.

I have no clue where to look for hairstyles anymore. I can't find pictures that a) look like my texture and b) don't require a ton of work. So I'm looking for either recommendations of sites with more realistic hair styles, or suggestions of what I should think about doing.

I'm not against layers, I would like to bring out more curl. I don't know what I want to do with my bangs. My longest layers are almost BSL and the shortest are almost shoulder, not counting the stuff around my face. I would like a hairstyle that makes it look like I meant to be this untamed looking ;) I like a lot of volume and curl so any hints about what cuts I should consider to enhance that would be helpful. I am hairstylist-illiterate.

RitaCeleste
July 10th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Hunt down UltraBelle and ask her! She knows more about the cutting part than a lot of people.

brave
July 10th, 2012, 03:05 PM
This forum needs a paging system.

Toadstool
July 10th, 2012, 03:20 PM
I always type what I'm looking for into Google images.
eg
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=long+curly+hairstyles&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=T2i&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=HZz8T8zLG8P18QOklriUBw&ved=0CFQQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=576#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=CNO&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB%3Aofficial&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=long+wild+curly+hairstyles&oq=long+wild+curly+hairstyles&gs_l=img.12...22148.22580.0.24651.5.5.0.0.0.4.229. 842.0j4j1.5.0...0.0.ZyIdXq-EZck&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=8a460a56ecfe09f&biw=1366&bih=576

FrannyG
July 10th, 2012, 03:50 PM
It sounds as though this hair stylist is good with cutting hair, as evidenced by your mother's cut.

If you tell the stylist how you want your hair to look, as you excellently as you described it in your post, I'm quite sure the hair stylist will know exactly what you want and do it, with no photos involved.

I hope you enjoy your trip to the salon, and remember, we love photos here! :wacko:

lilliemer
July 10th, 2012, 04:08 PM
I have one word of caution...Beware of thinning shears or razored ends. This causes a very different effect from other types of layers where the hair is different lengths but each little clump of hair ends at the same point. I have a similar hairtype to you and had a couple cuts where people attempted to "bring out my curl" by "thinning" or "lightening up my ends" by taking a razor or thinning shears to my head. It just ends up a shaggy, damaged mess and the curl pattern is actually ruined. Plus it takes forever to grow back to even because all the individual hairs are different lengths. Some people like this effect on their hair but I think it tends to be the very straight and/or fine haired types, so I would be very very cautious if someone wants to use these implements on your hair particularly if you are dry and prone to damage and flyaways in the first instance.

brave
July 10th, 2012, 04:33 PM
I have one word of caution...Beware of thinning shears or razored ends. This causes a very different effect from other types of layers where the hair is different lengths but each little clump of hair ends at the same point. I have a similar hairtype to you and had a couple cuts where people attempted to "bring out my curl" by "thinning" or "lightening up my ends" by taking a razor or thinning shears to my head. It just ends up a shaggy, damaged mess and the curl pattern is actually ruined. Plus it takes forever to grow back to even because all the individual hairs are different lengths. Some people like this effect on their hair but I think it tends to be the very straight and/or fine haired types, so I would be very very cautious if someone wants to use these implements on your hair particularly if you are dry and prone to damage and flyaways in the first instance.

I think this is what the last girl may have done to me! I asked for layers and not only did she take off about 6 times what I asked for, but when my curls clump the ends are ragged and all the hairs are different lengths at the end. It was weird and I felt like the layers didn't lay right anymore afterwards. The length clumps and the ends explode into frizz.

I was thinking about getting it evened out and having a blunt hemline, but I don't think it would work well with my texture and I would lose more length than I am willing to forfeit.