PDA

View Full Version : Best methods for creating waves

afu
July 10th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Really I'm looking to the curly girls here, but any hints would be great :)

Since joining LHC I've finally embraced my natural curls (a mixture of tight S waves and spirals), but sometimes I just want a more relaxed look, not straight, but straighter! Just for a bit of a change.

However most of the methods people use on here to get waves/curls just encourage my curls even more, how can i encourage more stretched out waves without using heat or a blowdryer?

I probably havn't explained myself very well but hopefully someone will understand! The picture on my profile shows my hair in it's natural state if that helps

earthnut
July 10th, 2012, 12:17 PM
A brush will do it. :) (of course it might also create a big puff bal depending on your curls) :P

SoulOfTheSea
July 10th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Have you tried damp rope braiding? For me, it gives me loose and very pretty spiraly waves, so with your curlier hair type, it might help to loosen your curls a bit but still keep them nice. It's worth a try! (I do two rope braid pigtails, by the way.) :)

brave
July 10th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Low pigtails kind of do that for me. Maybe try banding? Or heavy cones. Or tiny weights... ;)

lapushka
July 10th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Braiding or twist-outs (many tinier ropebraids all over your head), or even putting it up in a sock bun or other type of bun.

afu
July 10th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions so far :)

A brush will do it. :)

i'm afraid brushing just results in frizz for me (on dry hair), and If I brish damp hair it just curls as usual as it dries

Have you tried damp rope braiding? For me, it gives me loose and very pretty spiraly waves, so with your curlier hair type, it might help to loosen your curls a bit but still keep them nice. It's worth a try! (I do two rope braid pigtails, by the way.) :)

I often sleep in a french rope braid, as it maintains my natural curl pattern really well :) it does result in quite tight spirals though. This is probably due to my fine/thin hair though, so maybe I could try adding a paranda to bulk it up and loosen the spirals

Low pigtails kind of do that for me. Maybe try banding? Or heavy cones. Or tiny weights... ;)

oo I havn't tried banding, I'll look into it.

afu
July 10th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Braiding or twist-outs (many tinier ropebraids all over your head), or even putting it up in a sock bun or other type of bun.

Hehe, a sockbun just results in huge curls springing up to my ears!

Oksana
July 10th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Hi afu, i'm not as curly as you but have had success with snake waves:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=82

My hair in my sigpic is from snake waves :)

afu
July 10th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Thanks Oksana :) I'll give it a try

Amygirl8
July 10th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Perhaps you could try banding?
There was a thread on that a few days ago, pretty much you make 4 sections in your hair, and on each section you put a hairband every 1-2 or inches down the length.

Perhaps you could also try the bubble braid? You use foam balls to create a Princess Jasmine-esque braid. If it's fairly loose I could imagine some loose waves. :]

afu
July 10th, 2012, 04:04 PM
never heard of the bubble braid, i'll definitly have to look it up :) thanks