PDA

View Full Version : just washed hair looks unwashed

red-again
July 10th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Hoping someone can help. My hair has recently been limp, the lengths not just the ends lack separation and on the day of washing it looks like two days have passed between washes.
I have recently ( one month ago ) switched to Toadstool hair stuff and as much as I love the scents I think I may have to admit it doesn't suit my hair.
This morning I therefore used my usual shampoo and condish combo ( from before Toadstool) thinking it would surly give me back "my" hair. No, it looked just as bad if not worse when drying and is even more hang-y now!
I then tried baking soda rinse sad an acv rinse. Still icky. And my scalp clearly hates the combo as I've shed a fair bit more than normal today.

Is it worth trying a clarifying shampoo? If so which one? I have been organic / totally sls, paraben etc free for years and don't use any cones so that's not it.

What is the expert opinion as to the best way to help my hair?

Thankyoud

Siiri
July 10th, 2012, 10:30 AM
It does sound you may have too much build up. Natural hair products do cause build up too, not just the synthetic ones with cones. For example they often have waxes that can build up.

I don't know of any natural clarifying shampoos that actually work, I've always thought they need to have sulfates to properly clarify. If you live in the USA, Neutrogena anti residue shampoo seems to be a popular clarifying shampoo over there.

Madora
July 10th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Seconding the Neutrogena Anti-Residue Clarifying shampoo!

It will strip off everything on your strands, leaving your hair feel like hay, so it is a good idea to do some sort of conditioning afterwards.

And yes, it does sound like too much stuff is getting on your hair. Try to go back with the shampoo and conditioner you used before you changed to Toadstool and see how your hair behaves.

Also, if what you're using is extra creamy or thick, then I'd try diluting it with a bit of water.

Amber_Maiden
July 10th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Sounds like build up. Definitely clarify.

heidi w.
July 10th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Ditto. Buy a product that has "clarify" as part of the product's name, and give that a try. It is not wholly uncommon to have to clarify twice in a row, if the first time doesn't work. If after two tries, clarifying doesn't work, then proceed to chelating where chelate is part of the product's name, or in small print under the product's name.

If you tried Baking Soda clarifying home recipe, it has been reported not to work for a few people. I don't know why; I don't know what's going on besides, and I do wish I was there to see what happened and what was done, etc. And then on another hair wash you tried ACV separately, this may not work and actually create more ick and buildup on top of buildup because ACV is not clarifying for stuff that has had time to try and adhere to the hair. Once it's dried on the hair, to get it off, clarifying has to be done.

I hope this helps, and I hope that clarifying works. Now, because of this event, don't go nuts and start clarifying overly often. It's only needed when you need it, not as a preventative mechanism.

heidi w.

patienceneeded
July 10th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Neutrogena Anti-Residue works really well as a clarifying shampoo! Highly recommend. Make sure to follow with a moisturizing conditioner. IMO, it sounds as if you have a build-up issue. Clarifying should help.

silverthread
July 10th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Hoping someone can help. My hair has recently been limp, the lengths not just the ends lack separation and on the day of washing it looks like two days have passed between washes.
I have recently ( one month ago ) switched to Toadstool hair stuff and as much as I love the scents I think I may have to admit it doesn't suit my hair.
This morning I therefore used my usual shampoo and condish combo ( from before Toadstool) thinking it would surly give me back "my" hair. No, it looked just as bad if not worse when drying and is even more hang-y now!
I then tried baking soda rinse sad an acv rinse. Still icky. And my scalp clearly hates the combo as I've shed a fair bit more than normal today.

Is it worth trying a clarifying shampoo? If so which one? I have been organic / totally sls, paraben etc free for years and don't use any cones so that's not it.

What is the expert opinion as to the best way to help my hair?

Thankyoud

I agree with trying a clarifier. However, it sounds like you've washed your hair several times in only a couple of days, and it may not be a good idea to wash it again so quickly. Perhaps leave your hair alone for 2 or 3 days, wearing it in updos, then do a CWC, using a clarifier for the W.

Katze
July 11th, 2012, 01:57 AM
We have similar hair, and this happens to me a lot (sometimes with routines I thought were working!) Fine hair needs to be cleaned more often, but wavy hair needs more moisture - and these are often two completely opposing things.

I find I need regular (1-2x a month) sulfate washes. More is too much, somtimes I can get away with less but it depends on what my hair is deciding to do those days.

my hair very often hangs weirdly and looks stringy and greasy even when it's not. When it does, I wash more often, but it sounds like you wash more than I do (I wash every 3-5 days). WO washing for most of my washes helps a lot - my hair has more weight and 'swing' to it, as well as more wave - but I do need to do sulfate washes every 2-3 weeks or my hair gets like 'bacon strips.'

the other thing I can't live without is product. It keeps my hair from looking like a frizzy mess and getting stringy.

Zesty
July 11th, 2012, 03:10 AM
I would clarify and then go back to your old routine. If you want to use the use the Toadstool stuff still, I'd use it diluted or alternate it with your old washing method. Sounds like this doesn't agree with your hair too much.

red-again
July 13th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Just wanted to update - I found that the neutrogena shampoo is not avail over here so I ordered some from amazon but this is an international delivery and will take a while to arrive SO I went out in search of another one. The only one the large Boots near me had was one of their own. It had the magic sls and no parabens so I went for it!
Washed with it and my hair was much, much better but still slightly odd feeling. Then I stumbled onto something interesting on google, re indigo marking hair flat.
I have been using henna lots recently and following it each time with indigo on my full length.
And I do feel like it is quite harsh, being so alkaline, on my hair.
So to redress the balance, I hennaed on Tuesday night, overnight. no indigo after.
My hair is cured, the strands are smooth sepearate and " flow" again!

I think I will only root app indigo from here on in. Thx again!