PDA

View Full Version : How low can you go?

Shiranshoku
July 10th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Hi all,

I was wondering about something last night. My SO completely freaked out when he found a 2 inch long hair growing at the side of my neck. I haven't had that before, but I told him that since I have a low hairline at the nape of my neck (kind of an inverted U shape) it's probably just a stray hair.

He insists it's still totally weird and that the hair at the nape of my neck is odd. If I put my hands in my neck (with the pinky up, thumbs down to my shoulders) I have growth until my first finger. Is that unusual?

It's never bothered me, really. It's just the same as baby hair you get on your forehead. Thin, a bit wispy and hard to put up, but not odd or freaky. I just wondered if it really was that unique.

Phalaenopsis
July 10th, 2012, 02:11 AM
It's normal :) When I was a child, my hairdresser did shave that bit away to make it look more clean.

red-again
July 10th, 2012, 02:29 AM
I have hairs down my neck too! Mine leave my main hairline and are quite sparse but they extend two inches on the side of my neck I.e. when looking in the mirror side-on, I pull my hair up and one the sides the hairs are still three two inches below my earlobe on both sides but thankfully they only start from my ears backwards, they don't come any further forward onto my neck!

With LHC methods my nape and hairline baby hairs have grown three inches in two months since joining so hopefully they will all fit into updo's sometime soon.

Dragon Faery
July 10th, 2012, 03:07 AM
I have a lot of shorter hairs below the back of my head, and they make a sort of M shape, as they come down in three triangular sections. Sometimes they make cute little curls.

My DH doesn't freak out over that, but he was mystified today over the fact that my very dark hair has blonde strands, especially in the thinner over-the-temple areas.

Our heads are all weird, if you think about it. I guess that's what makes us all "normal". ;)

Avital88
July 10th, 2012, 03:21 AM
yes totally normal:)

Alva
July 10th, 2012, 03:27 AM
Yes normal, I got a whole bunch with a short terminal length and then in an updo it sticks out all weird on all sides lol. They'll never catch up with the longer hair I think :) But well, that's not unusual

prettykitty
July 10th, 2012, 03:51 AM
I have baby hairs and fuzz in back. Just call me Sasquatch :D

hairhair
July 10th, 2012, 03:53 AM
I think it's probably normal -- some people just have a larger area for hair than others. :)

Zesty
July 10th, 2012, 03:58 AM
I am basically the queen of baby hairs. :rolleyes: It doesn't show up in most of my pictures, but I have the two points going down the back of my neck as well as a ton around my hairline in the front. Totally normal.

lapushka
July 10th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Totally normal, nothing to get freaked out about in any case! :)

Amber_Maiden
July 10th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Definitely normal.

Tisiloves
July 10th, 2012, 07:03 PM
If anything I'm the freak because my hairline is both low and very blunt. But my baby hairs are very curly :)

Lady Neeva
July 14th, 2012, 02:23 PM
The occasional baby hairs here and there...

HumanBean
July 14th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Normal. I have LOTS of neck hair. I shave the outer inch of it (the part closest to my ear) so that my updos look a lot less messy.

I don't necessarily advocate shaving though. Even though it's been a couple months my neck skin is still pretty irritated by it. I'm just sort of stuck in a loop with it right now until I either decide to grow it back out and leave it alone, or wax, thread, epilatate, electrolysis, or whatever.

akilina
July 14th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Anything "freaky and weird" is totally normal :D If it is on your body I don't see why it wouldn't be normal :) We are all different creatures

heidi w.
July 15th, 2012, 09:29 AM
This is basically a lack of familiarity with truly long hair, in its natural state. All of us longhairs have a couple of strands on the back of the neck at the bottom of the hairline that are somewhat long, say, about 4-5 inches even. That's just how hair grows. Tell your BF to get over it and appreciate the differences in life. He should be glad all trees aren't the same. That would be wholly boring.

heidi w.

arcane
July 15th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I'm the opposite but I agree with the everyone else, it's normal. No two heads of hair are exactly the same and so no two hairlines will sit the same.

Shiranshoku
July 16th, 2012, 02:51 AM
Yeah, I told him it wasn't a big deal. But now I need to convince myself! I never noticed them before, but now those hairs bother me.

And I remember now that when I was a kid, the hairdresser would always shave my neck to make it appear more neat.

jacqueline101
July 16th, 2012, 06:32 AM
Mine have started growing long since I've joined here. They are normal.

lapushka
July 16th, 2012, 10:12 AM
And I remember now that when I was a kid, the hairdresser would always shave my neck to make it appear more neat.

For a bob, esp. if it's a short one, they do shave those nape hairs, otherwise they will peep out, and in no way that's neat for a bob. For long hair, shaving that hair is absolutely unnecessary! These nape hairs can be annoying when they first start growing (up to shoulder length even), but once beyond that, you should be fine.

Shiranshoku
July 19th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Thanks guys! I definitely feel more normal now :)

This is basically a lack of familiarity with truly long hair, in its natural state. All of us longhairs have a couple of strands on the back of the neck at the bottom of the hairline that are somewhat long, say, about 4-5 inches even. That's just how hair grows. Tell your BF to get over it and appreciate the differences in life. He should be glad all trees aren't the same. That would be wholly boring.

heidi w.

:cheese: so my hair is simply getting truly long... I dig that. A lot :)

domisimone
July 19th, 2012, 08:59 PM
I have a few of those wispy hairs. Mine curl up and look kind of romantic when I wear a bun.

dwell_in_safety
July 19th, 2012, 09:49 PM
It's quite normal. My baby hairs there form little ringlets. I rather like them.

JellyBene
July 20th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Mine go down as far as yours or even a bit further. I have always had that, its a super pain in the butt to dye though because I can't get the shower cap to go low enough and those hairs are always light brown instead of black, sigh. Most of the other people who's hair I dye have the same thing.

FrannyG
July 20th, 2012, 01:55 AM
Yeah, I told him it wasn't a big deal. But now I need to convince myself! I never noticed them before, but now those hairs bother me.

Well, I'm glad to see that in a later post you said you're starting to feel normal now, but let's get you to feel completely normal. :)

I'm another who has those neck hairs, that grow to about 5 inches, and what's more the hairs on the left have a cowlick that stick straigh out to the side and then down! They often escape certain updos. Xandergrammy once remarked when seeing an updo photo of mine, "I'd know that hairline anywhere"! I've learned to embrace it.

And yes, I remember that shaving thing from being a kid too. Actually, even as an adult when I had a couple of cuts, I had the shave. Yipes! shudder:

So just another chiming in to say that you are perfectly, totally and completely normal, Shiranshoku. I hope you learn to fully embrace your own unique hairline. :blossom: