PDA

View Full Version : My hair hates bobby pins!

honeybunnie8
July 9th, 2012, 11:14 PM
I spend all day pushing them back in because my hair tries to spit them out:disgust:
Is their some technique I am missing? Or is my hair just to slippery?

spirals
July 9th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Try flat roller pins. Try roller pins. http://www.sallybeauty.com/Jumbo-Roller-Pins/STARTE4,default,pd.html

christine1989
July 9th, 2012, 11:59 PM
They never stayed in my hair either. I'm the only female I know who does not on a singe bobby pin. I find that the kinds that snap work way better and are more secure. If you really like bobby pins, I hear kinda weaving the pin into your hair works better for some.

Kyla
July 10th, 2012, 12:14 AM
My hair pushes them out too. How are you using them? For bun making, I personally have a lot more luck with amish pins. For clipping strands back, snap clips work ok for me, although I have to be very gentle with them.

Eniratak
July 10th, 2012, 12:22 AM
I noticed that with bobby pins, both large and small, I have to take a tiny bit of hair instead of a lot. Honestly, you only need a little to hold your hair up anyway.
If you try and take a lot of hair into one pin, it will push itself out; however, if you only take in a little, you should have a moment when you push it in and it grips. I dunno.
With me, I just know when a pin will stay or when it won't.

Phalaenopsis
July 10th, 2012, 02:29 AM
I noticed that with bobby pins, both large and small, I have to take a tiny bit of hair instead of a lot. Honestly, you only need a little to hold your hair up anyway.
If you try and take a lot of hair into one pin, it will push itself out; however, if you only take in a little, you should have a moment when you push it in and it grips. I dunno.
With me, I just know when a pin will stay or when it won't.

This! For years I coudn't get them to work and then I saw torrin's explanation on it, and now they work for me ^^

Crybb
July 10th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Have you tried criss crossing them?

Bianca
July 10th, 2012, 09:49 AM
I hate bobby pins, have giving up on them. For a bun, having to use a mill, no way. They stick out after some minutes again. I only use them to keep my bangs out of my face. For buns and such i'm getting some spin pins :D

spidermom
July 10th, 2012, 10:09 AM
It's kind of hit or miss for me. Some I get just right and they stay put. My hair spits others out. I put all of them in the same way, pretty much.

honeybunnie8
July 10th, 2012, 11:21 AM
I do try and take small amounts of hair. To put up my braided hair into a kind of bun I use probably 10 bobby pins. My hair is only BSL so it seems like that should be enough since once its braided it becomes about APL.
I try and make an X with them but the second one always wants to pop out.
Maybe I will look into some Amish pins for buns. Those look promising.

Whats the difference between regular bobby pins and the roller pins?

heidi w.
July 10th, 2012, 11:29 AM
For bobby pins, I don't fare well with regular bobby pins as I now simply have too much hair. So I switched to using the long bobby pins, what are technically known as hair roller pins. (I just got interrupted because I am typing on a kind of fancy keyboard that looks a bit different to most people, except perhaps those who type a lot, such as Administrative Assistants.) Back to regular programming....

These I pin the beginning or hidden elements of an updo, and I try not to ask pins to hold more hair than the pin can actually hold. That's a big trick of using bobby pins. Also going in at angles matters. Holding weight of hair means holding the interior hair more than the hair we see on the outside of an updo.

I hope this helps somewhat.....
heidi w.

Kyla
July 10th, 2012, 11:44 AM
By the way, I don't think criss crossing them may be the best idea anyway, it can cause more strain at one point on the hair and cause more breakage. Also, whenever I've attempted to do it I tend to accidentally tear some hair out.

Long_hair_bear
July 10th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Have you tried Sally's bobby pins? My hair spit out the cheap ones, but Sally's are thicker and hold a lot better IMO.

dwell_in_safety
July 10th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I've never been able to really use bobby pins as a primary means of putting my hair up. I don't even use them to secure rebellious pieces of hair that I leave out of buns or braids anymore; I use those poor man's flexible Amish pin-type things that are roughly $1.50 for 100+ of them at Walmart. Like everyone else has said, though, try just using them to hold a tiny bit of hair. I don't do that, because using scores of pins is cumbersome.

jillosity
July 10th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Roller pins are awesome, they're perfect for slippery hair! They're basically bobby pins on steroids, and just catch a bit of hair, that's all you need to keep your 'do secure. Don't recommend criss crossing, it can break hairs, and will be pretty uncomfortable against your scalp.

honeybunnie8
July 10th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Have you tried Sally's bobby pins? My hair spit out the cheap ones, but Sally's are thicker and hold a lot better IMO.
Yes. I use those ones that come in the little tin. They do hold better then regular ones but not well enough for me to not have to fight with them during the day.:(

Maybe I just suck at using them.:o

honeybunnie8
July 10th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Roller pins are awesome, they're perfect for slippery hair! They're basically bobby pins on steroids, and just catch a bit of hair, that's all you need to keep your 'do secure.

Lol ok. I will try the roller pins. :eek:

jeanniet
July 10th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I never use bobby pins--they're just too hard on my hair. I don't use the snap clips, either. Amish pins (I use the crinkled kind) work well for tucking bits of hair into a bun, and I use barrettes with the clasp that snaps onto a little ball (France Luxe, usually) for decorative hold-backs. Those barrettes don't catch my hair the way French barrettes do.

heidi w.
July 10th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I have an idea for designing bobby pins, but how to get someone interested in the idea, when everything's coming out of China for so cheap. Ever since I've moved from Silicon Valley, I can't find a good design for a bobby pin. Goody used to make some pretty good pins, but like everything else, they seem to keep doing do-overs and ruining their best ideas. I hope some company reads this. IF so, please contact me for prototyping my design.

LOL.

Yeah, like that's gonna happen.
heidi w.

honeybunnie8
July 10th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Hmmm now I am curious what your magic bobby pin is like Heidi. lol

heidi w.
July 10th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Hmmm now I am curious what your magic bobby pin is like Heidi. lol

I'd guage the tension of bobbypins, as I have found a whole lot of them far too tight. I'd work on the top of the bobbypin and make it of some kind of substance that doesn't crack and thus damage hair. And most notably, bobby pins are straight. I'd curve them so they hurt the scalp far less. To me, seems like a duh. But it seems no one has tried it or if they have, it wasn't spread around a lot for testing. Problem in my mind. But what do I know?

heidi w.

catamonica
July 10th, 2012, 11:16 PM
I guess I'm the only one that likes them. I have hip length hair. I wear a low braided bun. It holds my bun real good. I use one big one through my hair. And the rest are smaller.

ahrph
July 11th, 2012, 01:53 AM
I can't make them work either. I can't just catch a few hairs, the small ones are bent beyond usefulness with one pass through my hair. I just bought some spin pins though and am going to give them a shot.

MinderMutsig
July 11th, 2012, 02:08 AM
I'd guage the tension of bobbypins, as I have found a whole lot of them far too tight. I'd work on the top of the bobbypin and make it of some kind of substance that doesn't crack and thus damage hair. And most notably, bobby pins are straight. I'd curve them so they hurt the scalp far less. To me, seems like a duh. But it seems no one has tried it or if they have, it wasn't spread around a lot for testing. Problem in my mind. But what do I know?

heidi w. Recently I've seen this kind a lot:
http://aaforyou.nl/images/foto7901.jpg

Without the decoration and in more hair appropriate colors. They seem nice and they take care of my biggest complaints against bobby pins with the curve and the non-crimped top. I haven't tried them yet though. My hair gets damaged from just looking at bobby pins and I don't find them particularly useful or handy.

spirals
July 11th, 2012, 03:34 AM
You can bend roller pins if you need to. I have heavy hair (technically ii, but closer to iii) and I can hold a half-out french twist with one roller pin. Big box stores have them, but Sally's has different colors and different-sized packages. They're really the only hair toys I need beside elastics.

IndigoOptimist
July 11th, 2012, 03:46 AM
I spend all day pushing them back in because my hair tries to spit them out:disgust:
Is their some technique I am missing? Or is my hair just to slippery?

You have similar hair to me and I used to have horrible problems with my hair being too fine to grip them! Unfortunately I can't really explain what I did to stop it. I guess it was just practice and I naturally learnt what worked without thinking about it.
I rarely use bobby pins any more, but I guess I try to stick them close to my scalp, I think this gives them more grip in my hair :)