PDA

View Full Version : sunburnt scalp

Kaelee
July 9th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Ugh... I was outside all day yesterday and my scalp got sunburnt.

Other than being sore and annoying...with this effect my hair growth in any way?

*Makes a mental note to wear a hat next time!*

tweetylonghair
July 9th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Don't do monistat till it's all healed It will burn, at least it has on mine and my sister.

Kyla
July 9th, 2012, 11:32 PM
I don't think it would have an effect, and even if it did the burn will likely heal relatively quickly. Sounds painful though, hope it feels better soon!

carolinaberry
July 9th, 2012, 11:34 PM
If it is a bad sunburn, you will probably have some gross peeling/flaking coming up soon.

Zesty
July 9th, 2012, 11:39 PM
I doubt it will affect your hair unless you got like, sun blisters or something like that, although the sunlight on your hair may lighten/damage it over time. Tip: vinegar dabbed on sunburn keeps it from peeling and fades it faster -- at least, it's worked for me. So maybe you could use a cloth or cotton ball and dab some on the burned part of your scalp?

Kaelee
July 10th, 2012, 12:03 AM
I doubt it will affect your hair unless you got like, sun blisters or something like that, although the sunlight on your hair may lighten/damage it over time. Tip: vinegar dabbed on sunburn keeps it from peeling and fades it faster -- at least, it's worked for me. So maybe you could use a cloth or cotton ball and dab some on the burned part of your scalp?

I've heard of that, but I don't want to smell like vinegar! lol. It's feeling better now though.

lunalocks
July 10th, 2012, 09:39 PM
You could slather your scalp with aloe vera gel.

Spring
July 10th, 2012, 09:42 PM
I really hope you're feeling better soon without any adverse side effects. Hopefully aloe vera gel will soothe, cool and help heal your scalp.

Kaelee
July 10th, 2012, 09:44 PM
I'm feeling much better today! Trying to stay out of the sun though. :flower:

jacqueline101
July 10th, 2012, 10:20 PM
I burnt mine once I put noxzema on mine.

Kaelee
July 10th, 2012, 10:22 PM
I burnt mine once I put noxzema on mine.

I've heard of using Noxzema for burns (actually it was invented for that!) and I bet it would feel good, but I seem to remember it drying my face out horribly when I used it as face wash as a teenager. I can't imagine it being good. :(

red-again
July 10th, 2012, 11:52 PM
A plain old steeped tea rinse ( English tea or green tea) will help. A used cool tea bag ( minus any milk tho!) dabbed onto the scalp or any sunburn on the body will really help.
The tea rinse will leave your hair fresh and shiny too.

Shorty89
July 11th, 2012, 12:58 AM
If it is a bad sunburn, you will probably have some gross peeling/flaking coming up soon.

I'm at this stage now. I look like I have bad dandruff. Yuck! Good luck with your sunburn. I found that a vinegar rinse helped my scalp. Just a lid-full of vinegar in a large cup was enough and I didn't smell like it after.

browneyedsusan
July 11th, 2012, 06:28 AM
I've burnt my head and the tops of my ears a few times.... You're in for some peeling and flaking in a week or so, but your hair will be fine.

Get well soon!

Amber_Maiden
July 11th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Try massaging aloe on your scalp.

Othala
July 11th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Lavender essential oil applied neat or diluted in a little Sesame oil helped my sunburnt scalp and face last summer, but only use if you do not have an allergy or sensitivity. I find Lavender EO is fantastic at speeding up the healing of sunburnt skin/scalp. It worked better than Aloe Vera (which made me itch as it dried) for me.

Kaelee
July 11th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Lavender essential oil applied neat or diluted in a little Sesame oil helped my sunburnt scalp and face last summer, but only use if you do not have an allergy or sensitivity. I find Lavender EO is fantastic at speeding up the healing of sunburnt skin/scalp. It worked better than Aloe Vera (which made me itch as it dried) for me.

My mom swears by this. The scent of lavender gives me an instant splitting headache though. I don't know how many times I've had to tell her "Keep that sh*t away from me!" :run:

MissAlida
July 11th, 2012, 09:16 AM
It doesen't affect the hair. I get bad sunburned scalp every summer.:rolleyes:. I know, I should wear hats or scarves. I just seem to forget most of the times. Just be sure to not scratch it with your fingers when it starts to heal. And you can try to do a deep conditioning with low fat yoghurt. It helps regenerate sunburnt skin. I use it for any skin, not just scalp. It always helped.:)

czech it out
July 11th, 2012, 09:25 AM
This happened to me over the weekend too. >_<

I've been using the slather-it-with-aloe method and it seems to be working well.

heidi w.
July 11th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Consider getting Aloe Vera Gel and putting it in the fridge, and at night, rubbing a bit on the sorest spots. I hope you don't end up peeling; that's a nightmare.

It is summer, so folks, wear your hats or use an umbrella. I have a hat hanging on my coat rack for any moment in time I might need it. Lately it's been hellishly hot. Suffocating. (In the Midwest of the US it's been hot a lot of places, and almost no rain to speak of.)

Ouch. I feel for you. I always peel and burn very badly. I'm a super white chick.

And no, it won't affect your hair or growth. But too much sun can lighten the hair. That's the other reason the wearing of hats is recommended.

heidi w.

heidi w.
July 11th, 2012, 10:35 AM
My mom swears by this. The scent of lavender gives me an instant splitting headache though. I don't know how many times I've had to tell her "Keep that sh*t away from me!" :run:

One must be careful using essential oils. For example there are different kinds of Lavender Oils. I can't overstate the wisdom of conducting a skin test patch before applying something to all of your skin, or large patches of skin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavender_oil

Lavender Oil according to Wikipedia is good for minor sunburns, and is antibacterial. But in my past I explored a lot about essential oils, and if I recall, there are different kinds of lavender plants. What you want is French Lavender. There are other types of lavender plants if I recall accurately.

heidi w.

Anje
July 11th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Been there, done that. The peeling sucks.

Getting skin cancers removed from your scalp sucks even more. (From my DH, whose hair is not that thin, not my own experience.) Hats are wise.