PDA

View Full Version : Beach Hair-- What is this phenomenon?!

Sierrarazz
July 9th, 2012, 07:29 PM
So I'm sitting here on a balcony over-looking the bay (not trying to rub it in to anyone not on vacation!) and my hair has drastically changed since I arrived ~72 hours ago. Its absolutely wonderful. My curls have come out without the aid of any kind of plopping, product, styling devices or anything. Normally, I have to try pretty hard to get my hair to do this... but I CO washed this morning, didn't touch it, and played in the sun and saltwater (didn't submerge it, but it got wet from time-to-time thanks to my 3 year old nephew) and I'm just impressed with the volume and tightness of curls. What I'm really wondering here is if my hair has done this because it may have dried out from being in the sun? or does the saltwater have properties of which i'm not aware that make my locks lustrous? I just want it to be this easy when I go back home.... do yall think a salt spray will really have the same effect? or maybe just the humidity down here is doing it....

Anyway, if anyone has had similar happenings with their hair (i'd really like to hear from anyone who has bleached and/or has curls!) please let me know. I'm also curious as to how this kind of environment affects different hair types as well :)

brave
July 9th, 2012, 07:34 PM
A ton of people swear by salt water for their curls. A salt-spray will get a similar effect (sea salt, some use epsom), but can be drying. It might be a combination of the humidity and salt too.

Amygirl8
July 9th, 2012, 07:36 PM
I'd like to try a salt spray
My wurls need some definition, right now they're really messy XD

Sierrarazz
July 9th, 2012, 07:39 PM
I've read on some other threads some name brand salt sprays... anyone have any good experiences?

brave
July 9th, 2012, 07:48 PM
I haven't ever bought one but I experimented with some. I think a good recipe involved conditioner, epsom/sea salt, and maybe some jojoba or coconut oil, then mostly water.

Sierrarazz
July 9th, 2012, 08:41 PM
sounds great! I'll have to start doing some experiments myself when I return home... I'll update my results with some before and after shots!

jojo
July 9th, 2012, 08:47 PM
I don't go in the sea as I'm scared of jelly fish that may be in it :D but recently on holiday after swimming in the pool my hair really does go very wurly, dunno if for me it's the water change, I live in a soft water area but love the texture my hair gets. Enjoy your holiday.

kallarina
July 9th, 2012, 08:47 PM
When I was on vaca at the beach, my hair was also MUCH better behaved. My waves were perfect, even though I only CWC washed it and let it air dry. I think it's the humidity, personally. But salt sprays are supposed to help, so I think I'll experiment with those too. :)
It's nice to have good hair with no effort on vacation. Enjoy it!

prettykitty
July 10th, 2012, 03:58 AM
I tried John Frieda's beach spray once, found it a bit oily. You could take some water home in a bottle and make your own spray, maybe? A drop of glycerin, maybe a splash of essential oil, hey presto!

palaeoqueen
July 10th, 2012, 04:58 AM
I get this too, I think it's a combination of sea salt and humidity. I do have a sea salt spray that works well but it's so incredibly drying, I was thinking of diluting it and seeing if I get the same effect without the extreme dryness.

Allychan
July 10th, 2012, 05:10 AM
From the textbook: The salt water lifts the cuticle and you lose moisture. This has a drying effect on your hair that causes a rougher than usual hair shaft. Hairs 'grip eachother' giving you that perceived texture and volume

ariesfairies
July 10th, 2012, 05:37 AM
I did a post on this phenomen myself on the Curlies' thread :) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=2167008&postcount=6848)

After swimming in the beach, I did a rinse of fresh water, brushed it through then let it dry and untouched for the 2 hour trip back home. The results were AWESOME!
http://i48.tinypic.com/2ll1pu9.jpg

Like straight out with a curling iron :)

[edit]
Allychan's description up there is totally right, it was dry, sorta crunchy and kinda felt like it was coated with something.. but to heck with that, it was an awesome zero effort effect!

ravenheather
July 10th, 2012, 05:49 AM
If anyone has made their own salt spray, how much salt in your mister bottle?

spidermom
July 10th, 2012, 06:26 AM
My hair used to look wonderful from swimming in the river then letting it dry without doing anything else.

bumblebums
July 10th, 2012, 06:31 AM
I used to use a Garnier Fructis salt water spray when I had short hair and styled the bejesus out of it. I think it's called a texturizing spray or something like that.

The short-term effect of salt water might be great, but I wouldn't want it on my hair in the long term, precisely because it ruffles the cuticles.

Anyway, I think there's just a bit of glamour to all those CA surfers with their bleached tousled locks. Like Patrick Swayze in Point Break :)

Gillian
July 10th, 2012, 06:45 AM
it's the humidity for me. If i let my hair dry outside (i live in a beach town) it will get super curly, but if i go in the ocean and let my hair air dry outside it looks fried. the salt water totally dries it out. i'd definitely add some oil to the salt spray to help with moisture!

Sierrarazz
July 11th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Hey, so what textbook were you quoting up there? I wanna get my hands on that! Just got back home tonight from my vacation.... My experiments will begin tomorrow morning with my own salt sprays... Muhahaha :) I'm excited

JellyBene
July 11th, 2012, 10:08 PM
My little sister has curly hair and the beach does wonders with it as well! Mine however just gets tangled and angry and straighter than ever!