PDA

View Full Version : For those who mix and play with oils, how did you come up with your personal combos?

neko_kawaii
July 9th, 2012, 05:35 PM
For those who mix and play with oils, how did you come up with your personal combos? Lots of trial and error and note taking? Luck? Recommendations made by others?

What are your favorite combos and why?

Tisiloves
July 9th, 2012, 05:40 PM
I mix avocado and grapeseed with a little lemon EO (for the pretty smell), because when I used to box dye the conditioner that my hair loved best was avocado and grapeseed based.

lole18
July 9th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I just use what i find infront of me lol :) have you tried egg for thickening hair?

prettykitty
July 9th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Trial and error, mostly.

neko_kawaii
July 10th, 2012, 05:01 PM
I just use what i find infront of me lol :) have you tried egg for thickening hair?

I have not tried egg, and I am hesitant because the last time I used protein my hair hated it.

I have decided I will try a different oil, once a week. I have Coconut, Olive, Jojoba, and Vitamin E. Plus Castor for a scalp massage shortly before washing. After I see those individual results, I'll think about mixes (and maybe acquiring some other oils).

ratgirldjh
July 10th, 2012, 05:06 PM
I have tried so many oils and oil mixes and finally realized that the only oils that don't make my hair crunchy are straight castor oil and mineral oil.

Misty'sMess
July 10th, 2012, 05:19 PM
My hair doesn't seem to like mineral oil very much, but then again, I think I put too much on

blaketob
July 10th, 2012, 06:29 PM
I agree, it's all about trial and error. What works for one person doesn't work for the other. Many people use coconut oil, but my hair doesn't seem to like it. My hair loves EVOO though. I haven't tried many others.. still experimenting. Going to try argon oil next :)

Miss Maisie
July 10th, 2012, 08:10 PM
My hair loves, loves, loves jojoba oil. Occasionally I'll use a little EVOO, which my hair prefers to coconut oil. The only oil it hated was mineral oil.

earthnut
July 10th, 2012, 08:35 PM
It also depends on when you use the oil.

I love coconut oil as a deep conditioning treatment. It doesn't do much for me as a leave-in though.

I love olive oil as a leave-in, final step for reducing frizz on dry hair. Doesn't do much for me on wet hair though.

So I use 2 oils, but at separate times.

I tried several oils, each for 2 weeks. My hair wasn't impressed by jojoba or mineral oils. Also click the oils link in my sig for more information on oil properties.

mckellyn
July 10th, 2012, 08:38 PM
I love coconut oil as a deep conditioning treatment. It doesn't do much for me as a leave-in though.

I love olive oil as a leave-in, final step for reducing frizz on dry hair. Doesn't do much for me on wet hair though.

So I use 2 oils, but at separate times.

I think I may try these uses for the olive and coconut. I've been using coconut as a deep conditioning, and only partially cleaning it out. It leaves my hair beautiful and shiny, but also greasy and "funky-smelling," as my boyfriend puts it!

I think I'll start completely washing it out, and try the olive oil as a frizz-easer. Thanks for the tip : )

Tia2010
July 10th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Trial an error :)

My hair really likes oils...I usually use them straight but I recently tried mixing coconut, argan, olive oil and distilled water in a mist bottle and my hair seems to like it. I get a nice light coverage and my hair feels great.

earthnut
July 10th, 2012, 09:55 PM
I think I may try these uses for the olive and coconut. I've been using coconut as a deep conditioning, and only partially cleaning it out. It leaves my hair beautiful and shiny, but also greasy and "funky-smelling," as my boyfriend puts it!

I think I'll start completely washing it out, and try the olive oil as a frizz-easer. Thanks for the tip : )

I don't completely wash the coconut oil out, to me that would kinda defeat the purpose... Though I do use enough mild shampoo to remove any greasiness (when dry, it still feels slick in the shower). As for the smell, refined coconut oil has no smell (it's what I use, because I bought it by accident, but it works fine). Or maybe you'd like argan oil better? It's supposed to have similar penetrating and protective properties as coconut oil. Or perhaps another solid oil like shea?

jacqueline101
July 10th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Trial and error is how I got my combo right.

spirals
July 10th, 2012, 10:22 PM
I've never oiled before, but I will now. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=97046