PDA

View Full Version : High Maintenance

Amber_Maiden
July 9th, 2012, 05:13 PM
My hair is high maintenance, I think. I'll go through months of pampering it to fix it- because it starts getting dry at the ends. Sometimes it gets really desert dry... almost like hay, even though I don't dye or bleach it. I realized this week, from going through my journal, that my hair will be dry- I'll pamper it for months till it's fine, then get lazy and stop- because my hair is fine. Then my hair becomes suddenly dry as hay again and the process begins again. :disgust:

Lovely eh? My hair thinks it's a freakin diva and that I'm made of money... which it deserves all of... lol :rolleyes:

Anyone else have high maintenance hair?

SoulOfTheSea
July 9th, 2012, 05:16 PM
I have 2b/2c hair as well, and I think wavy hair is VERY high maintenance, because it's so unpredictable! Sometimes I get soft, defined waves; other days I get limp straight tangly mess. It takes a lot of work and maintenance to get it to dry decently most of the time, and to keep it defrizzed and nice and bleh!

Yeah, I'm with you there. :eek:

ratgirldjh
July 9th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Perhaps it's addicted to all the conditioners, etc. you are using on it?

pepperminttea
July 9th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Is your climate particularly dry generally?

SoulOfTheSea
July 9th, 2012, 05:45 PM

I know you're not asking me, but mine is. I live in a dry Mediterranean climate.

pepperminttea
July 9th, 2012, 05:47 PM
I know you're not asking me, but mine is. I live in a dry Mediterranean climate.

Ah, well you do at least get more sunshine to make up for it? :) It's not dry here in the least, the British weather takes care of that. :p

Rose Petal
July 9th, 2012, 06:01 PM
hmmm, depends...
I used to think it was high maintenance, but perhaps that was because I was trying to get it to do things that weren't natural for it. I very rarely have what I still think of as soap opera hair- you know, reasonbly striaght and really smooth, although it does do this more if I have put a colour wash through it (the washes out in nine to twelve washes type). But since colouring is supposed to be bad if you are tyring to grow it, this practice has stopped, and I now have eighties/ forties/ pre raphelite hair, which to be honest I'm getting used to.

That said I am supposed to be selling hair products in a couple of days, and madly thinking about all the ways I can get it to soap star looks...

arcane
July 9th, 2012, 06:07 PM
My hair is also very high maintenance. Even if I try to put it up and ignore it for a few days it still spits out the updo about 5 times a day. I fix one issue and it seems to get another one. Some days my hair lays straight but others I have full curls.

Arashi
July 9th, 2012, 06:12 PM
As far as keeping it moisturized goes, my hair is rather high maintenance... in general I wouldn't consider it high maintenance, though, as I'm really not taking much time out of my day for it.

Amber_Maiden
July 9th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Perhaps it's addicted to all the conditioners, etc. you are using on it?

I actually only recently started using different products- before I stuck to one conditioner and that's it. I'm no product junkie :p

Not really. I live in Canada.

lapushka
July 9th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Could it be from henna, if you're using that? I had that happen to me back when I still used to use henna on my hair, it got drier and drier, and coarser, from it - can't explain why it had that effect on me, I just don't know why.

Keepitgrowing29
July 9th, 2012, 06:34 PM
This is so funny. :) Yes, I have high maintenance hair. It eats up a large part of my money. :) So, it gets dry like hay, huh, maybe you are using to much protein.

brave
July 9th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Yes mine is. It's always dry and angry at the ends. The layers spit out of braids and the buns always look untidy. Many things promise to make it happy and only succeed in angering it further, until the frizz threatens to eat everything in its path.

SoulOfTheSea
July 9th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Ah, well you do at least get more sunshine to make up for it? :) It's not dry here in the least, the British weather takes care of that. :p

This is true, I do enjoy the sunshine, lol. It's sad though, where I live people think 60 degrees is cold. We are naive in terms of what's really cold!

But I must admit, if it were humid my hair would be more of a mess. :o

afu
July 9th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Before I joined LHC my hair was high maintenence, but that was because I was constantly forcing it into an un-natural state by straightening it. Now my hair generally co-operates well as long as I stick to a protein-free CO routine and braid it for bed. I think this partly has to do with the fact that i've learnt to embrace my natural curls, but also the fact that I know so many updos now and have an abundance of hairtoys so even if it's not behaving when loose it doesn't bother me to put it up, updos used to be reserved only for bad hair days but now I enjoy them

Kayla Nyx
July 9th, 2012, 08:16 PM
This is true, I do enjoy the sunshine, lol. It's sad though, where I live people think 60 degrees is cold. We are naive in terms of what's really cold!

whoo! 60 degrees, eh? thats pretty nice for a cold day! :D here in Wisconsin, it isn't cold till it hits the negatives.

joflakes
July 10th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Yes mine is. It's always dry and angry at the ends. The layers spit out of braids and the buns always look untidy. Many things promise to make it happy and only succeed in angering it further, until the frizz threatens to eat everything in its path.

Haha...this made made me giggle!

My layers throw themselves out of updos...*looks mournfully at fake crown braid with spiky bits*

The frizz I get is ridiculous and there are only a certain amount of products I will buy as I am vegan. None of which tame le frizz. Waah!

However I do like my hair sometimes. We have a love/hate relationship :lol:

kidari
July 10th, 2012, 01:15 AM
I realize my hair is picky. I just have to make sure to use conditioner and another leave in conditioner, stay away from too many cones or proteins, and regularly clarify and deep condition. To combat frizz I just spray with conditioner or distiller water or rose water and damp bun. I used to go through periods of babying it too much and them getting fed up and just washing it all the time then remedying the situation afterwards. Now I stay on a routine that works and is relatively easy to stick to.

Silverbrumby
July 10th, 2012, 01:34 AM
I have 2b/2c hair as well, and I think wavy hair is VERY high maintenance, because it's so unpredictable! Sometimes I get soft, defined waves; other days I get limp straight tangly mess. It takes a lot of work and maintenance to get it to dry decently most of the time, and to keep it defrizzed and nice and bleh!

Your hair looks so lovely but it's like you're talking about my hair here lol.

My girlfriend with stick straight hip hair laughs about the amount of time and effort I have to put in. Sometimes it's 3 drops of this oil, other times it's coconut oil. To wet bun or not. Leave in conditioner. It goes on and on and on and on.

Good hair days are celebrated. There are more of them but boy oh boy the work.

jojo
July 10th, 2012, 01:38 AM
I wouldn't say my hair is high maintenance but I would say I spoil it, maybe this is the same thing in a round about way!

Phalaenopsis
July 10th, 2012, 02:09 AM
Amber: I remember that you did bleach your hair with honey. My hair has been so high maintenance ever since I lightened it with honey.

What I discovered is when I pampered it enough and it feels fine, I shouldn't completely stop the intense pampering. Because like you said, it just gets dry again. The Aubrey Organics honeysucklerose conditioner hasn't changed ingredients, and I still really really really recommend it to you.

But yeah, I fall of the bandwagon often enough too. I know I should oil my hair the night before washing, it helps so much, but then I forget or don't feel like it. And every day besides washing day, I should mist my hair and then put leave-in it. But sometimes you just want to comb your hair and go, you know? :)

Dragon Faery
July 10th, 2012, 02:56 AM
I would say mine is, but only if I want to grow it long. (Which I do...)

I could just wash it and go; I learned to cope with it fairly well in college. But every time the length started to get long enough to please me, I suddenly had split ends galore.

Now that I'm CO washing, oiling, keeping it up 90% of the time, sleeping on satin, and only fingercombing, I see fewer splits...but apparently that is still not enough to grow past waist, as now it is splitting more and stalling. So apparently I need to baby the ends even more via shea butter and extra oilings, and protect them from elastics with a bit of satin ribbon wrapped around first. And if that's still not enough, I will have to settle for S&D every day, and a slowly rising hemline. ...and if I want it to grow faster than it splits, I need to radically change my diet and other aspects of my lifestyle, and add roooibos and castor oil scalp massages back into my routine. I also apparently need to keep my head covered with a blanket or jacket on cold nights.

This thread was timed just right: I really needed to vent somewhere. Thanks! :p

newbeginning
July 10th, 2012, 05:24 AM
I've got coarse, wavy hair. I'd say it's high maintenance in the way I'd have to really try hard to make it look "nice" (e.g. defined waves and lack of frizz in my hair take a lot of product and blow drying....I just don't bother). Also right now my hair has been really dry and I've had to try different products (e.g. conditioners, deep treatments) to help. It also doesn't stay in a lot of updos.

Maybe your hair is just dry because of the summer weather. That's at least part of the reason mine is.

UP Lisa
July 10th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Mine is high-maintenance just because it is so fine and tangly. Also because it is Oily.

CurlySasha
July 10th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Mine is very high-maintenance, thick, curly, and dry, dry, dry and thirsty!
I've started doing SMTs and regularly oiling my hair (coconut oil!!) and my hair has never looked or felt better :)

spidermom
July 10th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Kind of. I have to do fairly frequent deep moisture treatments because the ends and canopy dry out, and you know how it is - once damaged/constant maintenance or elimination. Since I don't want shoulder-length hair, it's maintenance for me.

FrannyG
July 10th, 2012, 10:17 AM
I treat my hair well, but I don't consider it high maintenance, because I spend very little time on it, and very little money.

I am, of course, not counting my ever-expanding hair accessory collection, which is another matter entirely. :o

Amber_Maiden
July 10th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Amber: I remember that you did bleach your hair with honey. My hair has been so high maintenance ever since I lightened it with honey.

What I discovered is when I pampered it enough and it feels fine, I shouldn't completely stop the intense pampering. Because like you said, it just gets dry again. The Aubrey Organics honeysucklerose conditioner hasn't changed ingredients, and I still really really really recommend it to you.

But yeah, I fall of the bandwagon often enough too. I know I should oil my hair the night before washing, it helps so much, but then I forget or don't feel like it. And every day besides washing day, I should mist my hair and then put leave-in it. But sometimes you just want to comb your hair and go, you know? :)

The honey lightening I did was from in February and March of this year, but it seems my hair has been going through the same pattern of being dry, when I'm not babying it, for several years now :(

I've got coarse, wavy hair. I'd say it's high maintenance in the way I'd have to really try hard to make it look "nice" (e.g. defined waves and lack of frizz in my hair take a lot of product and blow drying....I just don't bother). Also right now my hair has been really dry and I've had to try different products (e.g. conditioners, deep treatments) to help. It also doesn't stay in a lot of updos.

Maybe your hair is just dry because of the summer weather. That's at least part of the reason mine is.

Could be that it might be the summer weather... I just went back and looked at the times my hair was dry and it looks like it's mainly in the summer. Maybe it's a combo of no babying it in the summer + the weather.

RitaCeleste
July 10th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Mine is! Its coarse and wavy. Its color treated. It gets dry. It gets hard from hard water. So far the fixes are cheap, oil, aloe gel, conditioner, baking soda. The baking soda softens it but leaves it dry dry dry! So oil and conditioner and wait for it to get back to normal. I tried henna, that cost me more in the money department than all the rest. So my hair is cheap but takes up time, usually in a plastic cap. What I get to skip, (yes, there is an upside) wearing my hair up, protecting it, silk pillowcases, braiding it before bed. Its tough as nails, probably the iron deposits.....:p

Phalaenopsis
July 10th, 2012, 11:54 AM
The honey lightening I did was from in February and March of this year, but it seems my hair has been going through the same pattern of being dry, when I'm not babying it, for several years now :(
Still... Try the honeysucklerose conditioner :p There's nothing like it.

dwell_in_safety
July 10th, 2012, 12:00 PM
I treat my hair well, but I don't consider it high maintenance, because I spend very little time on it, and very little money.

I am, of course, not counting my ever-expanding hair accessory collection, which is another matter entirely. :o

This, pretty much. All my hair requires to be very happy indeed is a biweekly deep coconut oiling, a weekly CO wash, a wide-toothed comb, a satin pillowcase, jojoba oil as a leave-in after a wash, and for its ends to be tucked away in daily updos. I don't even really need to trim it every three months; I only do it to tidy up the hemline, as I have plenty of racer hairs. I've been on a similar routine since last October and this exact routine since December, with nary a snag in sight. (I've even only clarified it twice in that time.) For being 2b, my hair is, I suspect, ridiculously low maintenance. It also takes whatever shape the last updo was in, and my natural wave is never present anymore. If it was in a lazy wrap bun, it will tend to be straight. If it was braided, it will have waves. That is a property it's always had.

lechatn0ir
July 10th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Mine is not high maintenance since i have straight asian hair but i do like to pamper it with coconut oil :-)

Lady Neeva
July 10th, 2012, 12:54 PM
My hair requires very low maintence. An every other day coney wash and monthly S & D should keep it in check. (And my scalp is also greasy...)

Curly Hermione
July 10th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Definitely high maintenance! My hair is actually very similiar to what Amber Maiden described, gets very dry and weird and needs loads of attention to recover. I really like spending my time and (to a point!) my money on my hair, it's fun! I don't know if that makes me shallow...
Oh well, it's like on Friends, when Chandler tells Monica that its ok that she's high maintenance because he likes maintaining her. Sorry for the random sitcom reference. :)

jeanniet
July 10th, 2012, 01:05 PM
I'm finding that my hair takes less maintenance as I learn what works best and what doesn't. My care routine is pretty basic. What's more time-consuming is all the things I do because I want to fiddle around with stuff, but my hair could probably get along just fine without all that.

MsBubbles
July 10th, 2012, 01:31 PM
My hair was very high maintenance...in the eighties. :D It defaulted back to flat and straight within minutes of all the blow-drying, spraying, teasing, etc. Big hair that was fluffy to the point of resembling dry was the order of the day.

So no, thankfully these days my hair is low maintenance. I'd like to think this is my payback for all those tears in the 80s. But the tide of fashion will turn again at some point and my hair type will be 100% high maintenance again.

Amber_Maiden
July 10th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Still... Try the honeysucklerose conditioner :p There's nothing like it.

I'll try to find it!:D

Phalaenopsis
July 10th, 2012, 02:27 PM
I'll try to find it!:D

:cheese:

iHerb is a good way to order them if you can't find them in the store, they give awesome discount too ^^

lapushka
July 10th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Mine's just the opposite, quite low in maintenance. It better not start making demands. :D

sumidha
July 10th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I have naturally dry, course, split endy hair that eats coconut oil for breakfast, but I'm learning to love it. :)

moxamoll
July 10th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Not really. I live in Canada.

Honestly, that made me giggle! You say "Canada" like it's a tiny little place! I live in Canada too and it's dry, Dry, DRY here. :lol:

Fortunately, although my skin is picky, my hair isn't really and it seems pretty robust compared to what other folks talk about here. I guess that's the plus side of straight hair?

Amber_Maiden
July 10th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Honestly, that made me giggle! You say "Canada" like it's a tiny little place! I live in Canada too and it's dry, Dry, DRY here. :lol:

Fortunately, although my skin is picky, my hair isn't really and it seems pretty robust compared to what other folks talk about here. I guess that's the plus side of straight hair?

lol, I just figured it rains everywhere in Canada at least once every two weeks. :p

moxamoll
July 10th, 2012, 05:15 PM
lol, I just figured it rains everywhere in Canada at least once every two weeks. :p
Ha! Nope. In fact, southern Alberta has been officially in drought conditions for quite a while now. Even when it rains a lot (like this spring!) the water gets sucked up pretty darn fast! The humidity here today is 37% and according to google, the average humidity in the Sahara is 25%.

Excuse me, must go drink more water!

Amber_Maiden
July 10th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Ha! Nope. In fact, southern Alberta has been officially in drought conditions for quite a while now. Even when it rains a lot (like this spring!) the water gets sucked up pretty darn fast! The humidity here today is 37% and according to google, the average humidity in the Sahara is 25%.

Excuse me, must go drink more water!

ugh. So weird- my sister is in Vancouver, sort of next door to you ;) and it's been rainig quite a bit there. Maybe they could share? lol

AlicesPlatforms
July 10th, 2012, 05:18 PM
After frying my hair with bleach, pieces of the ends would come out every time I brushed. This happened to the point of me losing about 10" of hair, only a tiny bit of which I actually cut off. So yeah, never bleaching the full length of my hair again (or coloring my hair a dark enough unnatural color for me to have to bleach like that again) lol.

Either way I spent a lot of time and money trying to get my hair from falling out every time I brushed it! Now I've got most of the gross bits of hair off and I still use a bunch of stuff on it -_- I don't think it will ever end

irishlady
July 29th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Mine is.
I have to use the best coconut oil I can find on it or it just doesn't respond to the oil.
I also have to use specific shampoos and conditioners on it :rolleyes:
And it breaks so bloody easily that I have to be fussy with hair toys too :rolleyes:

Bedhead
July 29th, 2012, 07:35 AM

Ha! I was thinking the same thing! In fact, Calgary is drier than the Sahara. And the Rockies, kind of blocks off the humidity of the ocean that's 1200kms away. It doesn't rain there very often either, certainly not like in Quebec!

Anyway, I actually don't have high maintenance hair. I went through a few years of hell with it, but there were health and what I later found out to be water and build-up issues that contributed to it. But before that and now? Not at all. And I fully appreciate my hair, knowing full well what others have done for their hair their entire life. :)

palaeoqueen
July 29th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Mine is very high maintenance but that's due to damage from killing it with bleach and heat for literally two decades. I have no idea if my healthy virgin hair will be lower maintenance or not but it can't possibly be worse than this!

Henrietta
July 29th, 2012, 09:20 AM
You know what a hairdresser told me? Dry hair is like dry skin. Just a type. It's not dry because you made it so, with bleaching or stuff, and it's not dry because of the weather. It is JUST dry. When you stop putting a moisturiser on your skin, the dryness comes out. Same with hair. Some products will keep it moisturised until the next wash, some longer. But eventually they'll all wash away (or their effects) and dry hair will appear. And there's nothing wrong with it. It is not easy or funny to have dry hair, but it's the same kind of problem as oily hair. Not out fault. Just a type. And we need to take constant care of it. It's not temporal lack of moisture after, I don't know, a week of swimming in an ocean. It's a permanent characteristic.
It's important to be aware that dryness does not mean damage while looking for products and treatments :) (Yes, I know that nothing can repair damaged hair. But those products work temporarily, filling gaps in hairs with keratin or whatnot. Some people like it. Some not, but they don't know that they may need moisture instead.)

I like the diva comparison, Amber Maiden :)

sometimesginger
July 29th, 2012, 12:51 PM
My hair isn't high maintenance at all! I feel very lucky right now...
I can completely neglect my hair for weeks and it's still fine. The ends can get a little dry, but all I need to do then is condition them a little extra.

jacqueline101
July 29th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I agree maybe some of us are working against nature. Maybe we are doomed to have dry ends and keep up the fight against them.

Kelikea
July 29th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Nope, mine is not high maintenance. My scalp can freak out, but once I find shampoo and conditioner that does not freak it out, I try to stick with it for a while. My hair seems to be pretty easy. No DT's or oiling required. I surprise a lot of people because they expect long hair to be high maintenance, but I can generally wash and go, and be ready more quickly than the average person:) My styler or leave-in of choice is a dollop of conditioner in a spray bottle of water. I'll use this a couple or a few times a day to refresh and moisturize my hair.

spirals
July 29th, 2012, 02:42 PM
whoo! 60 degrees, eh? thats pretty nice for a cold day! :D here in Wisconsin, it isn't cold till it hits the negatives.Word. I had to learn the hard way, as I grew up in the desert.

My hair has always been high-maintenance. It can be super-curly and soft, super-curly and dry, wavy and kind of flat, wavy and puffy.... It starts to dry out when I don't wash it, but if I wash it every day, that dries it out. Nearly all the curls want to spiral forward, so my hair is forever in my face. Don't get me started on bangs or morning mane....

Bambi
July 29th, 2012, 02:43 PM

This sounds familiar:D...hehehehee

Deborah
July 30th, 2012, 01:53 AM
A lot of people overwash their hair then wonder why it's too dry. I don't know about your particular hair, but maybe you just need to wash it a little less frequently.

palaeoqueen
July 30th, 2012, 03:31 AM
You know what a hairdresser told me? Dry hair is like dry skin. Just a type. It's not dry because you made it so, with bleaching or stuff, and it's not dry because of the weather. It is JUST dry. When you stop putting a moisturiser on your skin, the dryness comes out. Same with hair. Some products will keep it moisturised until the next wash, some longer. But eventually they'll all wash away (or their effects) and dry hair will appear. And there's nothing wrong with it. It is not easy or funny to have dry hair, but it's the same kind of problem as oily hair. Not out fault. Just a type. And we need to take constant care of it. It's not temporal lack of moisture after, I don't know, a week of swimming in an ocean. It's a permanent characteristic.
It's important to be aware that dryness does not mean damage while looking for products and treatments :) (Yes, I know that nothing can repair damaged hair. But those products work temporarily, filling gaps in hairs with keratin or whatnot. Some people like it. Some not, but they don't know that they may need moisture instead.)

I like the diva comparison, Amber Maiden :)

Mine is definitely dry from the bleach and heat damage! The bits that are virgin aren't dry at all (even on the ends) :)

Amber_Maiden
July 30th, 2012, 06:37 AM
A lot of people overwash their hair then wonder why it's too dry. I don't know about your particular hair, but maybe you just need to wash it a little less frequently.

I wash it every 7-9 days.

Deborah
July 30th, 2012, 12:25 PM
I wash it every 7-9 days.

Then overwashing is not likely to be your problem. Hope you find a way to simplify your hair care that makes you happier with your hair. Good luck!:)

Silverbrumby
July 30th, 2012, 12:26 PM
If my hair was a woman she'd be a Kardashian. Just sayin.

Amber_Maiden
July 30th, 2012, 01:03 PM
If my hair was a woman she'd be a Kardashian. Just sayin.

hahaha!!! :p :rolleyes:

LaLaBella
July 30th, 2012, 02:05 PM
My hair & scalp have a failure to communicate. If I don't wash my scalp daily, it gets what I call "hacne" or head-acne not to mention a bad case of stinky-head. If I do wash daily, then I have to slap conditioner on the ends first, condition it again while washing my body, then oiling it after I get out of the shower.

UP Lisa
August 13th, 2012, 08:31 AM
That does sound like high maintenance!

My hair & scalp have a failure to communicate. If I don't wash my scalp daily, it gets what I call "hacne" or head-acne not to mention a bad case of stinky-head. If I do wash daily, then I have to slap conditioner on the ends first, condition it again while washing my body, then oiling it after I get out of the shower.

LaLaBella
August 13th, 2012, 10:20 AM
That does sound like high maintenance!
It gets worse. Most shampoos make my scalp itch by the end of the day. Badly. If I skip a day, then in addition to the hacne, it feels like the camel with a thousand fleas infested my scalp.
The ends are dried out right now because they feel like it so I have to lube them up.
This is cutting into my high-end skincare addiction.

UP Lisa
August 13th, 2012, 10:23 AM
And I don't do much of anything for my poor skin!:eek:

quote=LaLaBella;2259512]It gets worse. Most shampoos make my scalp itch by the end of the day. Badly. If I skip a day, then in addition to the hacne, it feels like the camel with a thousand fleas infested my scalp.
The ends are dried out right now because they feel like it so I have to lube them up.
This is cutting into my high-end skincare addiction.[/quote]

AineMuirne
August 13th, 2012, 10:35 AM
My hair is very low-maintenance. :x Until a few weeks ago, I used Suave clarifying shampoo and TRESemme Smooth and Silky conditioner every single day. Those were my only hair products. And it's always been super healthy. I started using coconut oil once a week a few months ago and I started making my own natural shampoo a few weeks ago. Now it's even more healthy and I spend hardly any money.

LaLaBella
August 13th, 2012, 01:14 PM
My hair is very low-maintenance. :x Until a few weeks ago, I used Suave clarifying shampoo and TRESemme Smooth and Silky conditioner every single day. Those were my only hair products. And it's always been super healthy. I started using coconut oil once a week a few months ago and I started making my own natural shampoo a few weeks ago. Now it's even more healthy and I spend hardly any money.

:-p <----this is me sticking my tongue out at you.
Okay, not really. My hair was disgustingly healthy and low-maintenance.
Then I turned 40.
I'm now 49 and it's nowhere near as snarky as it was 4 years ago. But still....

AineMuirne
August 13th, 2012, 02:22 PM
:-p <----this is me sticking my tongue out at you.
Okay, not really. My hair was disgustingly healthy and low-maintenance.
Then I turned 40.
I'm now 49 and it's nowhere near as snarky as it was 4 years ago. But still....

Bahahaha! Then I will fully expect it to pay me back in a few years. ;)

Silverbrumby
August 13th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Mine is high maintenance because of frizz and thinning issues I've had to address. Blah. Feeling very blah today about hair.

Changling
August 13th, 2012, 02:36 PM
yeah...especially today. I very carefully dilute-shampooed it this morning, conditioned for at least ten minutes, then used a leave-in and sealed the ends with baby oil, scrunched and air-dried. It is not humid today, or windy, or anything, but my hair just frizzed out like you wouldn't believe. And of course it's still not quite long enough for a ponytail, so I get to have a ponystub w/bobby pins and a halo of frizz around my face. And it's just the worst dry, floaty, wooly frizz. Ridiculous.

I guess I'll do a deep treatment tonight...

Tota
August 13th, 2012, 02:53 PM
My hair used to be high maintenance (expensive pharmaceutical shampoo for itchy, flaky, acne-prone scalp, hair masks, dyes, hairdresser every two months etc.) but now it's trained and well-behaved since I switched to CO, ACV rinses, self trims and no heat.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 13th, 2012, 08:09 PM
With normal shampoo, conditioner, a little oil thrown in its direction from time to time and a spritz of water/conditioner, my hair does fairly well.

I did threaten it that if it didn't I would sit it in a chair under a single lightbulb, deprive it of sleep and then pull it out hair by hair until it screamed for mercy...;)

Tisiloves
August 13th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Only at the moment (it's hot and humid, nothing is making my hair look like I actually wash it).

ApatheticFairy
August 13th, 2012, 10:11 PM
My hair got really wonderful and soft when I first started using Panacea and Toadstool, but I guess my hair is having a hissy fit after six weeks or so using the new products?

Two weeks ago, I S&D'd... and now again, literally half my hairs are split up the middle and dry as hay. I just cut about two inches off (with virgin, never been used, sharp scissors) and now it seems like I need to cut off at least two inches more... and six weeks ago, it looked fine. I've not changed my hair routine!

I oil every other day, I only wash 1-2 times a week with Toadstool soap shampoo and condish every day I don't oil (and on wash days) with Hello Hydration. I always bun or French Twist my hair. I always air dry it, I only use scrunchies and hair sticks, etc. I deep condition with Panacea. On paper, I should be having good hair days, but I'll only have one good hair week about once a month-- and that week is random!

I think I'm paying for my past sins of going red to blonde and back again, but I semi-permanent dyed my hair back to my natural (ish? As well as I can remember) shade and my hair is freaking out because it's used to abuse or something. It's got Stockholm syndrome to bleach. x.x

It was NEVER this bad when I was straightening it, loading on silicone products, and bleaching it constantly. Any ideas?

UP Lisa
August 14th, 2012, 06:31 AM
I'm always amazed at how people have success with CO. My hair is always heavy and greasy shortly after CO washing. I have and oily scalp anyway, and with CO it's even worse.

quote=Tota;2259878]My hair used to be high maintenance (expensive pharmaceutical shampoo for itchy, flaky, acne-prone scalp, hair masks, dyes, hairdresser every two months etc.) but now it's trained and well-behaved since I switched to CO, ACV rinses, self trims and no heat.[/quote]

Tota
August 14th, 2012, 06:40 AM
I'm always amazed at how people have success with CO. My hair is always heavy and greasy shortly after CO washing. I have and oily scalp anyway, and with CO it's even worse.

It takes some time to adjust (some terrible, terrible bad hair weeks lol). It's also very important to find a good conditioner that really suits you. For my scalp I use a conditioner for sensitive hair from Alverde natural cosmetics brand (main ingredients being birch and sage) and it cleans my scalp amazingly. It's not enough for my length though.

UP Lisa
August 14th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Well, I'm also a person who worries about leaving conditioner on my scalp all the time, so I think I'll just stick with shampoo.:)

It takes some time to adjust (some terrible, terrible bad hair weeks lol). It's also very important to find a good conditioner that really suits you. For my scalp I use a conditioner for sensitive hair from Alverde natural cosmetics brand (main ingredients being birch and sage) and it cleans my scalp amazingly. It's not enough for my length though.

Lady Neeva
August 14th, 2012, 08:07 AM
The AC's down.
I think I'll be able to manage with frizzy hair in the intolerable heat.

Silverbrumby
August 14th, 2012, 05:48 PM

My hair falls out by the handfuls without shampoo on the scalp. Sees to hate CO washes. With my already thinning hair I can risk the extra hair fall.

kam.pearson
August 17th, 2012, 11:43 PM
It's got Stockholm syndrome to bleach. x.x

It was NEVER this bad when I was straightening it, loading on silicone products, and bleaching it constantly. Any ideas?

This! Yes! My hair likes being abused! If I'm too nice, it rebels! Doesn't make sense!