PDA

View Full Version : Off on holiday, best way to moisturize hair?

MissHair
July 9th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Im off to the sunny side of Spain tomorrow which currently has around a 39-43 degree celcius heat. I remember last time I went on a sunny holiday few years ago my hair dried out completely from the saltwater and sun.

How should I best protect my hair in this heat without using a hat? Should my hair be oiled 24/7? Tips welcomed! :cool:

petali
July 9th, 2012, 02:54 PM
I heard about a shampoo/conditioner that protects from the sun.

DarkCurls
July 9th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Damp bunning for the heat, a scarf (if you're not unwilling to wear scarves, since I see you said you didn't want to wear the hat) for the sun? :p I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to do.

lmfbs
July 9th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Leave in conditioner, soak your hair in fresh water before going in the ocean, keep it up to protect it. Have a great time!

Gogobaby
July 9th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Cover cover cover! Agree with silk scarf or sun hat. I was in The Philippines the first time my hair got super dry and burned in the midday sun. The result was not unlike when my hair caught fire in the church. I oiled with baby oil every day, kept it in day and night and washed it only in cold water. If you're not into that I recommend Aussie Take the Heat shampoo and deep conditioner, and soak in coco oil esp after long swims or hours in the sun. Milk soak has helped people too, just make sure you cold rinse it out! Even humidity in the dead if night dries out hair. And braid it, or wear it up.

prettykitty
July 9th, 2012, 05:40 PM
As above, I'd keep it oiled and covered with a hat, especially if swimming. The right hat can also protect your face from the sun. I will be honeymooning in the heat next year and plan to buy a wide brimmed hat I found online with a sun protection factor of 50+. It'll protect my hair and skin, and also make me feel like an old time movie star on vacation-win!

Rose Petal
July 9th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Leave in conditioner is your friend.
Just came back from Java, and I used it all the time afer swimming in all of those clorinated pools, and ocasional oceans.
Also wearing it up will help if you don't do the hat thing. Personally I'm all for hats, and parasols(!), but then I'm pretty pale.

MissHair
July 10th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Great advice everyone thank you!!!

lechatn0ir
July 10th, 2012, 12:59 PM
You can use heat protectant! Hats and staying in the shade will help too.