PDA

View Full Version : To layer or not to layer ?

Ara
August 3rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
The big question of the week (prompted by my sister and her cousin politely nagging the heck out of me for hours) is "To layer or not to Layer"). The cousin is a professional hairdresser with her own salon, and is a lovely person who I really think wants my hair to look the best it can... I've convinced her I like my length, however she suggested allowing her to put some long layers in my hair to help bring out the curl and tame some of the "poofy weigh" that my hair has (the poofy, frizzy thing I agree with)...

I really want my hair to look it's best - and I like my long hair ( my goal is classic length).

I currently have almost waist length hair which is all one length - and although it's fine, I have a lot of it, and despite trying almost everything it's always frizzy looking. Depending on the day, my hair has either a nice natural wave (looks like braid waves) or loose ringlets. I would love to bring out the curl more, but I can't spend much energy scrunching, plopping, gelling and various other "fussing" to do so - in truth it's exhausting just washing, condishing, and combing/brushing my hair (due to a medical condition)

Can I get some pros and cons for those with long layers, a good definition of "long layers" (as in a length), and any tips that you might have on getting the right cut if I'm going to do this ??

thanks ...
from a relative newbie to the forums

orangeeyecrayon
August 3rd, 2008, 05:05 PM
long layers can start from any where you want them to.

that is just a term for how they are cut. they are all brought straight up and cut to a guide up there, these can create either dramatic or subtle layers depending on how much is taken off.

the one thing that is diffrent about these layers is that you wil not get that distinct "shelf" look of harsh lines where the hair ends, the hair will usually fall with a slightly heavier flow towards the centre, and this helps them blend in better as they grow out.

spidermom
August 3rd, 2008, 05:07 PM
You could start with a little layering around the face area and see if you like it.

Like you, I have a goal of classic length. I tried long layers, which did bring out the curl and looked fabulous at BSL. However, as it grew longer, it looked messier, and the bottom-most layer looked so thin and straggly after awhile. I decided to eliminate the layers because I have a lot more length to grow and want to keep the ends looking as thick as possible. I don't like the see-through fairy tale ends as much as I like thicker, more even ends.

I did, however, keep the layering around my face. It looks nicer to me, less hardened and old maid-ish.

Bucatini
August 3rd, 2008, 05:11 PM
Hi Ara, and welcome! Your hair sounds similar to mine- fine, wavy and sometimes frizzy. Mine's not as long as yours, I'm between BSL and waist. But I do have long layers and I love them.

Pro: it helps control the frizz and brings out the curls, two things you say you would like to do.

Con: be careful not to have the layers cut blunt, or it will be like stairsteps. Also if you cut them too short it can look shaggy.

My "shortest" layer has never been more than an inch or 1.5 inches shorter than the overall length. I have often wondered what other wavies do, so I'll be watching this thread.

Ara
August 3rd, 2008, 05:12 PM
The one thing that I don't like about my hair is the bluntness of the ends - I'd actually prefer a subtle fairytale end look ... so if I can achieve that with some subtle layering that would actually be a bonus for me

Aisha25
August 3rd, 2008, 05:21 PM
Con: layers they can make hair look thin and scraggly also if you ever want blunt hair line, you will have to chop it till they are even again. I hear alot on here how layers make there hair thinner and they want it fuller looking now. So it is best to think long and hard.

Stacy_E
August 3rd, 2008, 07:29 PM
I go back and forth on this myself. I have long layers, cut myself using the method where you put your hair in a ponytail on the top of your head and pull your hair straight up and cut straight across. It's okay, but sometimes I wished I didn't have them so that I could do buns and braids easier, and have a thicker hemline. If you are not liking your blunt hemline so much, maybe layers are for you. But it helps to be sure! There are many folks here who are impatiently trying to grow out their layers.

Here (http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-1561,subcat-HOBBIES.html) and here (http://www.hairfinder.com/hairquestions/cutashag.htm) are links related to cutting in longer layers.

1nuitblanche
August 3rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
I have layers, and although my hair doesn't have as much movement as yours, layers really help it lay better--otherwise it's more or less a frizzy, poofy, mess. You can have them with or without the V or U shape, and you could ask her to just do a few with hair from the top of your head so that you won't have much catching up to do if you don't like it. However, the fortnight rule to be sure about cutting your hair is smart to employ since there are [as already mentioned] the thinner ends and the challenges with getting it all in a bun or braids.

Tangles
August 3rd, 2008, 08:39 PM
IMO: The curlier the hair you're starting with, the more helpful layers can be. If you have wavy hair, they will bring out the curl, but you also won't have days when your hair is more straight (like stretched out braid waves would turn into ringlets). If you want to embrace your curly side only, then layers might be for you.

AnimaSola3o4
August 3rd, 2008, 09:06 PM
I go back and forth on this myself. I have long layers, cut myself using the method where you put your hair in a ponytail on the top of your head and pull your hair straight up and cut straight across. It's okay, but sometimes I wished I didn't have them so that I could do buns and braids easier, and have a thicker hemline. If you are not liking your blunt hemline so much, maybe layers are for you. But it helps to be sure! There are many folks here who are impatiently trying to grow out their layers.

Here (http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-1561,subcat-HOBBIES.html) and here (http://www.hairfinder.com/hairquestions/cutashag.htm) are links related to cutting in longer layers.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have been looking for just that kind of info! I have major triangle head going on right now, and have been wanting to cut my own layers.... im confident that i could get it to work, except that my arms might not be long enough..... :/

But those links are ever so helpful! My friends daughter has been asking me to cut her hair (in exactly those methods), and i wanted to double check that it would work on her hair. ;)

ETA: Am I the only one that has noticed a harder time doing braids and buns with super blunt ends than they did with layered ends? Hmm... My inability to do a proper bun is part of my reason for wanting some longer layers.

rubyredslippers
August 3rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
I've got layers in the bottom four inches of my BSL-ish hair, and I like them. They keep me from having the dreaded "pyramid hair." I think the key thing with having layers is to make sure that your stylist really knows what you want, and you're talking about the same kind of layers, ones that start at the right point. (I know of a few girls that went in for layers and got neo-mullets.)

Blunt can be beautiful too, but if taper is the look you like, then layers are a good choice. Good luck with your decision!:)

Adrienne
August 3rd, 2008, 11:52 PM
I hate my layers. I did not ask for them. I ASKED her to cut all the chemically processed hair off and leave only the virgin roots. instead I get layers. I have been growing out my natural hair for 3 years. and I still hate these layers. when my hair gets longer and the short layers are at a satisfactory length, I want to cut the long layers to match them and have a blunt cut. I am VERY curly. and I could care less about triangle head. These layers just irk me for some unexplainable reason.

Manako
August 11th, 2008, 01:43 PM
My hair is layered, and I enjoy its current look. Its too short for me to braid at the moment and I worry that it will affect my ability to braid it when it gets longer.

Does anyone know if I will have to change the style/length of my layers as my hair gets longer?

pariate
August 11th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I didn't realise that layers could be used to tame frizz. I live and learn!

pariate
August 11th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I like having layers, but I would like to decrease the difference between one and t'other. At the moment my layer is a couple of inches shorter than the rest of my hair and I want to close the gap. I think layers can give a nice shape to long hair.

Periwinkle
August 11th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I have layers and I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate them.

They look completely weird in my wavy hair, and instead of preventing triangle head, they make it worse. I guess that's just my hair, though.

My one major problem, though, is that they fall out of every updo I do and braids are a uniform disaster. I have to redo them every hour because huge swathes of hair fall out. They also make my hair appear as if I have massive taper, when in fact it's just the layering.

However, I reckon that if you have much longer layers (mine were cut by an inept stylist; at the time, I said 'I want layering around my jaw' and she cut the layers to 2 inches long at the top of my head) that aren't so blunt, you could probably avoid most of those problems.

crispycritters
August 11th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I have messed with layers in the past and i personally cant stand them. They seem to dry out more on the ends and my hair looks really odd if I have them cuz of my curl pattern through out my head. On top i have frizzy curly hair then underneath is mostly straight with a little wave. With layers I can see my underneath hair and then you see the floating mess up top...I just look like i have a bad hair day . Then I've heard maybe my hair stylist isn't very good. Who knows either way I like it all one length- its simple for me and has more weight which is what i like and need.:cheese:

LaurelSpring
August 11th, 2008, 02:40 PM
The layers in my hair play havoc with my updos. It can be frustrating. The only time layers are good in my hair was when I was blowdrying and curling them with the curling iron every day. Since I dont do that anymore they are kind of pointless for me.

Shanarana
August 11th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I go back and forth as far as layers. I liked them for the enhancement of my curls, but found as my hair grows longer I end up with fairy tale ends that are very thin. I have decided for myself to grow out my layers. I guess that is a personal choice for each one.

sipnsun
August 11th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I've been growing out my layers for over a year because my ends look too thin. Just be sure it's what you want to do before you cut, because it can be a long process growing back to one length.

Islandgrrl
August 11th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I have layers as well. My advice: If you're thinking about layers but are not sure, don't do it. There are positives and negatives depending on your hairtype. And, of course, your goals

The good: they do make my hair really nice when it's down and help the natural wave shine through. My hair is thick enough that the longest layer still looks thick. I don't have Wedge Head.

The bad: I'm growing out from a pixie and my layers, even at BSL are still in about the bottom 6 inches of my hair. I really don't wear my hair down and the layers make sticky outy parts all over my updos & braids. I prefer a blunt hemline.

My layers are not there by choice, although in a way they are: I could cut everything off to the shortest layer so I choose to leave them there because I'm not interested in losing the length I've gained. Six inches is a lot to just arbitrarily whack off.

When my hair is at goal length (between knee & terminal), I don't think layers will really make a significant difference in the look so I probably won't keep them.

I do think, though, that face framing layers can be really awesome :)

Solange
August 12th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I think layers probably wouldn't solve an issue with frizziness, honestly. Oiling my hair while it's still wet works best for me. It seems to me that layers make hair harder to style than when it's either one length or with natural ends.

Curlsgirl
August 12th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I didn't realise that layers could be used to tame frizz. I live and learn!

I think layers probably wouldn't solve an issue with frizziness, honestly. Oiling my hair while it's still wet works best for me. It seems to me that layers make hair harder to style than when it's either one length or with natural ends.

It was my personal experience that layers actually made my hair frizzier. I think that was because there are more "ends" throughout the hair instead of just at the length. Anyway, I wanted to mention that. I keep toying with layers and reminded myself what a pain they are to grow out. If I got them I would get very long ones.

HaiirPEACE
August 12th, 2008, 12:45 PM
i have something called pivotal layers. and i love them. i'm not sure if they are suitable for long hair but either way when i get to my goal i'll just switch to long layers, my hair looks way too weighed down and has no personality unless i have some sort of layers in it.

i'd say go for it, hair grows and you'll most likely like the way they look on you, i think they give people a little something extra if done the right way. =]

nucleardelusion
August 12th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I didn't like my layers, they always poked out of my hairstyles in funny ways. >_<

pariate
August 12th, 2008, 01:37 PM
i have something called pivotal layers.

What are they, please? :oops: I feel quite ignorant! :D

HaiirPEACE
August 12th, 2008, 02:17 PM
What are they, please? :oops: I feel quite ignorant! :D
aw don't feel that way. i cant really explain them i think you take a pie section straight out then tilt 90 degrees and let the length drop out and cut the rest

pariate
August 13th, 2008, 06:17 AM
aw don't feel that way. i cant really explain them i think you take a pie section straight out then tilt 90 degrees and let the length drop out and cut the rest

:lol: Nope! Still clueless :rolleyes: Thank you for explaining though!