PDA

View Full Version : Naturally thin ends?

Donyyful
July 9th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Hi guys,

So I was just examining my hair for a bit, and I realized that especially on my sides of my hair, a lot of my strands of hair is thin at the ends. When I look at the whole strand of hair, it starts of really thick and it gradually becomes thinner and thinner. I don't use any chemical dyes on my hair, no heat, no combs, no accessories on my hair. Is this just naturally thin ends? I've been S&D them by cutting off the thin ends until I see the strand of hair is thick again. Should I be doing this?

Thanks everyone! x

spirals
July 9th, 2012, 01:40 PM
That's strange. Maybe at the time that hair was growing out of your head you were low on some mineral or nutrient.

prettykitty
July 9th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Some of my strands are a little thinner in the last half inch or so, but it's rare I find one like that.

Amygirl8
I've heard taper described as a split end (I believe it was on the chart with split ends) where if the hair just gets really thin at the end, then it's breakage.
I'm not fully sure, but if you don't like them than you can trim them off. I don't like them either.

Donyyful
Do you think so? I remember when I grew my hair out to the same length as I am currently now and some of the ends were pretty thin as well. This was last year December. I thought they was damaged hair so I did a big chop and cut off about 3-4 inches. Now I'm back at the same length and the ends are like before. :/

Madora
July 9th, 2012, 01:43 PM
It's natural. I've noticed that on my strands as well. The end tapers to a fine point. As long as it isn't damaged, everything is fine.

Donyyful
July 9th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Madora ; Phew! that sounds relieving. Would it be advisable to still cut off these thin ends? They're bugging me lol ^^''

Madora
July 9th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Madora ; Phew! that sounds relieving. Would it be advisable to still cut off these thin ends? They're bugging me lol ^^''

If you want to trim them, then go ahead. I trim mine sometimes but usually just let them be (unless I see there's damage).

If you have time, then daily S and D might help (be sure your scissors are sharp!). If you want to get rid of them at one fell swoop, then try a 1/2 inch trim first and see how your hair responds.

Donyyful
July 9th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Thanks everyone for the help by the way! Really appreciate it x :o

Donyyful
July 9th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Thank you for the advice! I think I will just carry on S&D the strands, I feel that a full trim is a waste of length for me. x

spirals
July 9th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Maybe you're a fairytaler. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=40313&highlight=show+fairytale

Vampyria
July 9th, 2012, 02:03 PM
My new grown strands are all like that.

Donyyful
July 9th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Do you think so? The name is so fancy hehe

Donyyful
July 9th, 2012, 02:07 PM
My new grown strands are all like that.

Oh really? I would of thought of the opposite; as the hair gets older, it starts to thin out and is a sign of its ending cycle? :o

lunalocks
July 9th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I have many hairs that naturally thin and tapir down at the ends. I do not s and d them. I let them be. I only s and d if I see a split or a white dot.

My hair ends in general are appearing much thicker and healthier since I have been using mineral oil on the ends at night, and after washing. I think the oil helps the shaft be stronger. But also I am wearing my hair up more. I relate the end thinning mostly to gradual wear and tear.

Donyyful
July 9th, 2012, 02:39 PM
I have many hairs that naturally thin and tapir down at the ends. I do not s and d them. I let them be. I only s and d if I see a split or a white dot.

My hair ends in general are appearing much thicker and healthier since I have been using mineral oil on the ends at night, and after washing. I think the oil helps the shaft be stronger. But also I am wearing my hair up more. I relate the end thinning mostly to gradual wear and tear.

Oh I see, I'm happy to know that its general for everyone then. Thank you for sharing! x

Vampyria
July 9th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Oh really? I would of thought of the opposite; as the hair gets older, it starts to thin out and is a sign of its ending cycle? :o

Yes, it's weird. I do nothing that would damage it and I'm also taking supplements, so I think there is no reason for thinning. I guess that is just the way that some hair naturally is.

vindo
July 9th, 2012, 04:04 PM
If you are talking about one strand of hair then it has to do with the layers wearing off. Your hair has a certain amount of layers (different for different hair types). So if you start of with lets say 12 layers, at the bottom there may actually only be 6 left. It is natural weathering of the hair. If your hair is not brittle, breaks easily etc., then it is probably just natural for you.

Anje
July 9th, 2012, 04:18 PM
My new growth tapers for a few inches, but not down its entire length. I think some of this is due to wear and tear on your hair -- wearing it loose, lots of handling, maybe heat or chemicals that would encourage the hair to wear away more readily over time. You'll never be free of it entirely, but if you dislike it and there is room for improvement with how you handle your hair, you may be able to reduce how much it tapers.

Amapola
July 9th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Well here's a funny perspective. I think this totally natural and normal due to normal wear and tear on the hair - sunshine, wind, combing and so on. The reason I think this is because I am a horsehair braider. I have spent my life spending all day long working with horsehair, and all horsehair is like this. In fact I have to turn half the hair upside down, to counteract that natural taper that is always in the hair. I think most people have this, but it is just so slight and gradual it is hard to spot.

I know my own hair has a taper but I do no trim it out - it will simply come back so there is no point. But if you don't like it you can of course trim it.