PDA

View Full Version : Chin | Shoulder | Collarbone

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13

Agava
February 26th, 2019, 08:34 AM
This is my length today. Do you think it is SL or should I wait a little bit? March, the 4th would be exactly 6 months since the big chop, but I couldn't resist, I had to make a photo today :impatient:

https://i.imgur.com/u0H8fXb.jpg

klmt
February 28th, 2019, 02:04 PM
Wow, 2 months of growth and I can't see your neck at all anymore! I think you could call it now, or wait a little longer. I'd only wait a little longer (until the hair starts to part over shoulders) because it means less time waiting between shoulder and armpit length. But, time is relative, so do you!

DaniGirl
March 4th, 2019, 12:31 PM
The downside to starting to do curly girl is my hair now spring up well above mu shoulders.

Hair looks pretty but short :-(

Agava
March 5th, 2019, 10:39 AM
Klmt, you're right. I'm going to wait at least two weeks and measure again.
There are many stages of SL, and it's wiser to pass the entry one and the next one before I definitely call it SL.

Aeonian
March 9th, 2019, 05:16 AM
The downside to starting to do curly girl is my hair now spring up well above mu shoulders.

Hair looks pretty but short :-(

I'm in the same situation, since I've decided to grow my hair out I've embraced my curls but the downside is that my hair looks shorter than ever. I know it's getting longer, but I don't see it. Really frustrating isn't it?

tekla
March 14th, 2019, 08:52 AM
(I posted this to the monthly growth thread also, I hope it's ok.) Am I seeing things or has there been visible growth in 25 days? In both photos I've washed my hair in the morning and blow dried it the same way.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35983&d=1552574637

Agava
March 23rd, 2019, 12:32 PM
Tekla, there is difference and it's very visible, don't worry :)

I think, for me, the time has come to graduate. Tomorrow I'm going to post my progress (after washing and drying my hair).

It's so quiet here on this thread lately...

Agava
March 24th, 2019, 04:04 PM
Here's my growth update.
I think I'm ready to check out from this thread

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36188&d=1553464523

illicitlizard
March 24th, 2019, 06:11 PM
Here's my growth update.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36188&d=1553464523

AY! That's excellent, congrats on getting to SL :)

lapushka
March 24th, 2019, 06:14 PM
Here's my growth update.

Congratulations! :applause

Agava
March 25th, 2019, 07:30 AM
Illicitlizard, lapushka, thanks! :)

tekla
March 26th, 2019, 08:45 AM
Congrats Agava!

hannabiss
March 28th, 2019, 06:02 AM
I think Im half way to shoulder! I chopped the back up in December. Finally feeling like Im getting somewhere.

gustavonut
March 28th, 2019, 08:51 AM
I’m inching closer and closer to shoulder, I’m hoping to reach it by May-June. :)

Pamberpestana
March 29th, 2019, 02:57 PM
When wet or pulled down, my hair is at shoulder. When dry, my hair is a few inches above. I may stay in this group a bit though, yay growth!

klmt
April 2nd, 2019, 05:42 PM
Oof, my hair is not sitting pretty right now. Have you guys gone in to get your hair shaped while growing from chin to shoulder, or should I just suffer through? I had the first urge to change something on Monday, so I've set a calendar alert 2 weeks from now to make an actual decision. Maybe by then we'll be out of this awkward stage?

I'm also growing out an asymmetrical cut, so my right side (at shoulder?) is longer than my left (hovering just above), and I think it's laying differently than the rest of my hair because of its weight. I'm wondering if I just need to wait for the left side to "catch up" and enter the shoulder-length weight class so it all lays the same, then even the hemline.

ynne
April 5th, 2019, 04:51 PM
It feels like the right time to join this thread. c:

Current situation:
https://i.ibb.co/MsshprY/190405-comparison.jpg

I had both photos taken when my hair's texture lost most definition (=stretched), but it varies so much. After washing, I found some curls that could spring up 9 cm. I did not even know my hair could do that.

tekla, DaniGirl, gustavonu, Pamberpestana, klmt, hannabiss and anyone else growing rn, good luck!! :o

Agava
April 6th, 2019, 12:20 AM
Oof, my hair is not sitting pretty right now. Have you guys gone in to get your hair shaped while growing from chin to shoulder, or should I just suffer through? I had the first urge to change something on Monday, so I've set a calendar alert 2 weeks from now to make an actual decision. Maybe by then we'll be out of this awkward stage?

I'm also growing out an asymmetrical cut, so my right side (at shoulder?) is longer than my left (hovering just above), and I think it's laying differently than the rest of my hair because of its weight. I'm wondering if I just need to wait for the left side to "catch up" and enter the shoulder-length weight class so it all lays the same, then even the hemline.

I didn't want to let my hair make me suffer. I used hairdryer and brush, to make my hair look tidy. That was my way to survive the most difficult stage to SL.
And, also, my cut was/is a bit asymmetrical, that bothered me more when my hair was shorter. I didn't make any correction. In time it seemed very acceptable to me that one side on the front is a bit longer. That strand actually I like the most :D

hinabelle
April 7th, 2019, 05:07 PM
ynne, your hair is so gorgeous!! I love the playful wurly bits you have!

I don't know how long I'll be here, or if I'll be here forever -- but I definitely belong in this thread! My hair grows in a "triangle" so part of it has reached my shoulders while part of it is basically between ear and chin.

Here's my progress as of today! Best of luck to everyone, and hang in there!

https://i.imgur.com/LBcvlfA.jpg

ynne
April 7th, 2019, 07:37 PM
Thank you, hinabelle ♥ I'm looking forward to the day I look at my hair and think it looks at least decent, too!
I saw your shrinkage photo and wow, it sure does make a difference! You could easily move on to the next thread with the hidden length :0

hinabelle
April 8th, 2019, 09:22 AM
Yes, the shrinkage is insane. It has to be over 50%, as when I stretch strands at the nape of my neck it's nearing BSL!
But I want to measure my growth as the "final product" rather than "real length", since I don't intend to do any straightening. It'll take longer this way, but oh well!
The things we do for hair. :laugh:

sillyme
April 14th, 2019, 05:17 PM
Believe it or not, I have read all 153 pages of this thread! I've learned so much here to help me with this awkward grow-out stage. My longest layers are just hovering above shoulder length right now, but that is such an aggravating place to have it for me! This is usually where I get to before running back for a short cut.

I've grown out many pixies in my lifetime, but I think I will do this one differently. I've usually kept my longest layers trimmed to around chin length to let the shorter ones catch up and then try to grow it all out together. But, I always end up with a short blunt-cut bob that is triangular in shape when doing it this way. That usually sends me to the hairdresser for more layers to try and fix it. Such a vicious circle!

So this time, I want to let my longest layer get about 1/2" past collarbone-length (my ultimate grow-out goal), and then have my husband trim that layer by 1/2." And then keep trimming my hair back to collarbone length as each layer gets there until all my hair, except bangs, are one length. As I said before, my longest layer is "just" above shoulder length when dry, but I have many layers with the shortest one being probably only about 6" long. So, I guess I'll be camped out on this thread for quite a while.

I hope to find the inspiration I need here to keep me growing this time. I'll try to get pics to post soon, as I would like to keep a grow-out diary for my inspiration and anyone else that it might encourage.

I think super long, healthy hair is beautiful for all ages, but it sadly just does not suit me. Thus, the collarbone length goal. It's been a long time since I've had it even that long and I'm looking forward to it and hope to enjoy every step of this growing-out process. :)

illicitlizard
April 14th, 2019, 05:24 PM
sillyme welcome! Just above SL is indeed a right pain in the arse. I also get serious triangle head if I have short hair (<APL) with no layers. Sounds like you have a solid plan for achieving your goal this time, happy growing :)

hinabelle
April 14th, 2019, 06:31 PM
Just checked last night and my dry hair has roughly 10 cm left before SL. The waiting continues!

sillyme
April 14th, 2019, 07:57 PM
sillyme welcome! Just above SL is indeed a right pain in the arse. I also get serious triangle head if I have short hair (<APL) with no layers. Sounds like you have a solid plan for achieving your goal this time, happy growing :)

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement! I'm glad you think I have a good plan. I just hope my hair cooperates and that I don't give up.

Agava
April 15th, 2019, 02:14 AM
Sillyme, I had the same situation as you..Thanks to this forum, I resisted the urge to cut my hair unnecessary. Welcome and happy growing! :)

Agava
April 15th, 2019, 02:15 AM
Illiticlizard, now I see your length better. It is very SL. Sorry for the wrong estimation the other day :)

sillyme
April 15th, 2019, 09:18 AM
I don't know if the pics will post for me. I've never posted any before and am just guessing at how to do it. But here goes:

4-15-2019
Back View

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36526&d=1555340430

Side View

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36525&d=1555340390

The shortest layer is a little longer than I estimated in the previous post, it's actually 7.5 inches. But you can certainly tell where it stops because of the "dent" in the back. At least I rarely see the back myself, but the side is another matter. The shorter layers around my ears are constantly dropping down into my face.

One thing I have going for me in this grow-out is that my hair is in pretty healthy condition. I never dye it or process it in any way. I do use a blow dryer on it daily, but only after it has air-dried 3/4's of the way. The few silver hairs I have growing in are a nuisance too because they are wiry and like to stick out everywhere. If anyone has any advice on how to tame them, I'd love to hear it.

So here goes, I'm going to submit my post and see how it goes now. :pray:

ETA: After posting these pics I noticed my hair looks two-toned in them, but it's not really. I guess it was the way the sun was hitting. My hair is a medium brown from roots to tips except for those pesky silver wires I mentioned. :p

sillyme
April 15th, 2019, 09:45 AM
Sorry, double post.......

sillyme
April 18th, 2019, 05:18 PM
Oh no......... hope I didn't kill this thread!:wail::wail:

illicitlizard
April 19th, 2019, 01:57 AM
The pics look great sillyme, I get the same dent where the shortest top layer ends, and it certainly looks healthy! That's the blessing of growing out short hair it hasn't been on your head long enough to show much damage :)

sillyme
April 19th, 2019, 12:39 PM
The pics look great sillyme, I get the same dent where the shortest top layer ends, and it certainly looks healthy! That's the blessing of growing out short hair it hasn't been on your head long enough to show much damage :)

Thanks, illicitlizard.

I'm hoping I remember that dent the next time I start thinking about getting layers.

shump76
April 30th, 2019, 06:33 AM
So happy to find this thread! My hair is low neck in the back and just getting to chin length towards the sides (I have a fringe). It's an awful length, there's nothing I can do with it but I'm determined to have long hair again.

ynne
May 1st, 2019, 04:49 AM
It feels like the right time to join this thread. c:

And now like the right time to post an update... it feels my hair is not growing at all, so I had a new photo taken.
I believe the right side is not actually longer, it's just that the left one wanted to be wavier today. :confused: About a month of difference.
https://i.ibb.co/vj0qjfp/190501-comparison.jpg

Agava
May 1st, 2019, 05:05 AM
It looks like your hair is longer on the right picture. I really see that your neck is more covered on that picture. And the layers seem longer, but it is very tricky to compare growth on wavy hair every month.

CuteCrow
May 1st, 2019, 05:05 AM
ynne I love your hair colour :heart: it definitely looks like it's grown but with wurls it's always hard to say how much

ynne
May 1st, 2019, 11:51 AM
It looks like your hair is longer on the right picture. I really see that your neck is more covered on that picture. And the layers seem longer, but it is very tricky to compare growth on wavy hair every month.
Thank you! I find it hard to see whether my hair is overall longer, but you are right about the layers, at least, they seem to be catching up. :)

ynne I love your hair colour :heart: it definitely looks like it's grown but with wurls it's always hard to say how much
Thank you ♥

I know I will get to shoulders (eventually), but when my hair curls up, the front parts don't even reach chin (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=149323&page=16&p=3674495&viewfull=1#post3674495), ahh. Patience, patience. :D

gustavonut
May 4th, 2019, 04:53 AM
Looks like I won’t be reaching shoulder any time soon. Probably July-August :/

PallasAthena
May 5th, 2019, 10:21 PM
I am in this club! I don't know how long it will get to shoulder, hopefully by new year? If I can stop myself from cutting it off that would be great.
I can't edit my profile, which I created a long time ago, and in it I have super-short hair so I have come a long way since then at least. My biggest challenge is styling it. All I can really do is just try to fluff it up or tuck it behind my ears. On desperate days I wear a buff headband and clippy. Also lots of hats.
Anyway, I'll be watching this thread!

hinabelle
May 5th, 2019, 11:30 PM
Thanks to the magic of styling (and MAYBE some growth), I was able to get more definition and move from hovering above shoulder to getting a decent amount of my length at CBL. :cheer:
I also decided to stop being stubborn and measure by my longest dry length like most everyone else :lol:

7 April
https://i.imgur.com/EUVlkVT.jpg

4 May
https://i.imgur.com/LQMziqw.jpg

I'm moving on to the next thread! :blossom:

PallasAthena
May 6th, 2019, 11:26 PM
hinabelle, your curls are so beautiful!

ynne
May 7th, 2019, 02:41 AM
hinabelle, yay for visible progress (and beautiful curls as always)! I'd wish you luck but I think patience is more like it; so lots of patience for the next part of your journey! c:

Also, PallasAthena, hi! Oh, I have the opposite problem, I need to fluff it down. :D Are you also struggling not to just cut it short again when it gets too bothersome?

hinabelle
May 7th, 2019, 11:03 AM
PallasAthena and ynne, thank you both :o

PallasAthena
May 7th, 2019, 11:45 PM
ynne, I am always on the verge of a drastic chop I think! Fortunately I have a lot of cute headbands and scarves so I can change my look without thinking about it too much. Keeping my hands off the front is hard as well. I never seem to learn that bangs don't work for me and my cowlicks, at least not straight across ones.

I think this is the hardest stage of growing for me. If I can get to shoulder it gets easier to leave it alone but at this length it's just so tempting to do something with it that I'll end up just regretting later.

sillyme
May 8th, 2019, 06:27 AM
ynne, I am always on the verge of a drastic chop I think! Fortunately I have a lot of cute headbands and scarves so I can change my look without thinking about it too much. Keeping my hands off the front is hard as well. I never seem to learn that bangs don't work for me and my cowlicks, at least not straight across ones.

I think this is the hardest stage of growing for me. If I can get to shoulder it gets easier to leave it alone but at this length it's just so tempting to do something with it that I'll end up just regretting later.

I'm with you. My hair seemed to hover right above my shoulders forever. I hate that "no man's land." That's the place I usually get to in my growing out process and then either break down and get my husband to cut the length or go to the hairdresser's for a short cut again. But, this time I've actually just waited it out. It's just now beginning to brush my shoulders and I'm so much happier with it. However, I'll be hovering between shoulder length and collarbone length for quite a while until my layers grow out. Boo hoo...

ynne
May 8th, 2019, 01:04 PM

That sounds like a great solution! It's been recommended to me before, to use some headbands or even a scarf, but I don't really know how to wear them. It looks really good on other people, though!

PallasAthena
May 9th, 2019, 12:53 AM
I usually use a clip to make a little twist in the back then use a thick headband/buff or scarf to cover up the hairline and pull in the stray hairs. You can get some buff headbands from Amazon pretty cheap that come in a variety of colors to play around with. Not everyone likes having something on their head all day though.
Tiny accent braids and half-up kind of dos can also be cute but I am very lazy.

hannabiss
May 13th, 2019, 07:30 AM
The very back on my hair is at the botton of my neck! WOOHOO!!

sillyme
May 13th, 2019, 08:40 AM
The very back on my hair is at the botton of my neck! WOOHOO!!

Congratulations! Looks like we're hair twins. Are you also growing out layers like I am?

klmt
June 14th, 2019, 03:26 PM
Flopping sadly in for an update. The front right of my hair is now at collarbone length, but the rest is still around ~shoulder/base of neck. I saw my mom yesterday and she is rocking some lovely Godiva hair, so I'm feeling discouraged lol. It's a marathon, not a race!

sillyme
June 14th, 2019, 05:06 PM
Flopping sadly in for an update. The front right of my hair is now at collarbone length, but the rest is still around ~shoulder/base of neck. I saw my mom yesterday and she is rocking some lovely Godiva hair, so I'm feeling discouraged lol. It's a marathon, not a race!

I understand completely. I get so discouraged several times a week/day. This hot weather is tempting me to chop mine off again. I can't even put it in a short ponytail without using many, many clips to control the ends of each choppy layer.

What is helping me more than anything is taking monthly pics of my hair as I grow it out. Just looking in a mirror, I can't see growth on a daily basis. But those monthly pics tell a different story. I also keep telling myself that if I don't chop it off, by this time next year it will be long enough to pull back and with No layers. So, all this self-talk, along with the encouragement from this thread and the Growing out Layers thread, I keep plodding along and leave those scissors in the drawer. :)

We can do this!

Agava
June 15th, 2019, 01:37 AM

I also compare growing hair to marathon, lol
But it's more like long preparation for marathon. I run in my free time, and it's so funny how both growing hair and training have in common. I once wanted to write that, but then I thought I might appear slightly odd, lol
But it is like preparing for marathon. One can't reach their goal at once over the night. There's regular training (growing) and patience on our way to the goal.

I think that one of difficult stages is hair length between neck and shoulders. Just don't cut your hair when you have difficult moments. The crisis is going to pass soon.

klmt
June 17th, 2019, 08:44 PM
And that's why I love this forum. :) We all understand the pain! It's been so hot lately that my hair has been living in a bun, so hopefully by the time it comes down again we'll have some progress.

drummer
June 20th, 2019, 03:41 AM
Hello everyone, I just graduated the super-shorties thread, having reached chin length from a pixie in 11 months! Happy to be here, my next goal is shoulder length, in approx. 18 months (i'm an average grower with a long neck :D). So a warm hello to all of your <3

hannabiss
June 20th, 2019, 06:39 AM
Im so close I can almost taste it! My very very hairs reach the bottom of my neck. Im thinking the end of July Im going to call it shoulder and move on to the Shoulder to APL thread.

hannabiss
June 20th, 2019, 06:43 AM
Congratulations! Looks like we're hair twins. Are you also growing out layers like I am?

Actually no i had trimmed my layers back in December. The last time I grew my hair from bald I just let it be. But I had cut in a side shave as well so i didnt want to have a crazy mullet and a grown out side shave.

ynne
July 6th, 2019, 07:44 AM
And now like the right time to post an update... it feels my hair is not growing at all, so I had a new photo taken.
I believe the right side is not actually longer, it's just that the left one wanted to be wavier today. :confused: About a month of difference.

https://i.ibb.co/vj0qjfp/190501-comparison.jpg

Photos above are from April & May 2019.

2 months later, 1st July (brushed out curls):

https://i.ibb.co/CJr2Hvm/190701.jpg

:o

sillyme
July 6th, 2019, 09:46 AM
There's definitely growing going on there, ynne. Congratulations! Monthly pics are so encouraging, aren't they? I had my dh make my June picture on the 27th but I've not taken the time to come post it here yet. I'll try to do that today. :)

sillyme
July 6th, 2019, 10:36 AM
Here're my June growth pictures.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36526&d=1555340430 April 15

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37076&d=1558997415 May 27

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37567&d=1562430866 June 27

ynne
July 7th, 2019, 06:08 AM
There's definitely growing going on there, ynne. Congratulations! Monthly pics are so encouraging, aren't they? I had my dh make my June picture on the 27th but I've not taken the time to come post it here yet. I'll try to do that today. :)

I also ask my better half to take these monthly photos, so much easier than setting it up with a timer! Luckily they don't mind whatsoever. :) I see that your hair grew a lot, too!! You seem to be just a few months of growing ahead of me, but I really feel the temptation to cut the hair off. I also have to use clips (for my growing undercut) when doing a ponytail and sometimes it doesn't seem worth the effort. :/ Just a bit more patience ...

Lizabeth94
July 7th, 2019, 11:02 AM
I finally reached chin length from growing out my above the ear pixie, and I can just barely put my hair in two small braids. I'll see if I can figure out how to post pictures.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37543&d=1562281054

Lizabeth94
July 7th, 2019, 11:10 AM
And the other side :cheese:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37579&d=1562519320

pixitolong
July 31st, 2019, 06:27 AM
And the other side :cheese:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37579&d=1562519320

My hair looks very similar in length but I have tried putting my hair into small braids tied and they fall out. Haha the other day I did my hair half up into a 'man bun' and then when I was in the car my husband looked at me and said, what are you doing with your hairstyle today? I looked in the mirror and my bun had come out and my hair was sticking up to the skye, I looked like I had been zapped by electricity.

Lizabeth94
July 31st, 2019, 07:22 PM
My hair looks very similar in length but I have tried putting my hair into small braids tied and they fall out. Haha the other day I did my hair half up into a 'man bun' and then when I was in the car my husband looked at me and said, what are you doing with your hairstyle today? I looked in the mirror and my bun had come out and my hair was sticking up to the skye, I looked like I had been zapped by electricity.

:rolling: I tried doing a ponytail recently and it failed miserably, I haven't tried the man bun thing yet.

Try wetting your hair before braiding it, most of the time it will fall out for me too unless I either get it wet or use gel or wax to keep it in place.

PallasAthena
August 10th, 2019, 12:15 PM
Those braids look so cute!
I have been absent from this board this summer because I did my freeform lock experiment again. And again I brushed them out after two months. While it's a good way to get some length while doing something interesting, I don't think my hair will be able to take another round so I have to save my journals and read them back to myself next summer so I don't try it again.

The good thing is my hair is at the bottom of my neck now. I guess that's shoulder? At least in the back, the front and sides are still growing out some wispy layers. Sometimes I do braids or just stuff my hair in a scarfy thing but I still wear it down a lot. When it's so short I feel like I damage it more trying to wrangle it into an updo than if I just leave it alone but I will try to transition to more protective styles soon.

SleepyTangles
August 22nd, 2019, 05:44 PM
Hello! Joining the tread :waving:
Iエm at a rather despicable length, sort of a bob (overgrown pixie, Iエve cut the V shaped tip at the nape because it was annoying me too much). It would reach the middle of my neck, but with my wavy, fine, fluffy texture there is a lot of wurls and cowlicks everywhere and shrinkage.
The tips want to curl up in the back and down in the front, my bangs are always up for trouble and no matter if I cover my pillow in a silk scarf, my fine hair will still be crinkled by my sleeping position. I refuse to use heath, so I just have to suck it up and battle this mutiny with my BBB until the hair is long enough to have some weight. Then, with its own weight pulling it down, it will be easier to cooperate.
Until that... itエs maddening. I try to tie it, but shorter pieces fall everywhere. It looks a mess no matter how I try to comb, brush or dry it. Iエm not a fan of pins, but I wear tons of small and tiny barrettes and for now they are the only things that help me give it some sort of shape.

Well, venting is over ;). On the bright side, itエs not as terrible as I remember from high school, when I dealt with similar lengths/cuts - but back I had no knowledge about hair, I was treating it kinda roughly and it looked like an exploded mushroom, frizzed out and inconsistent. Now it doesnエt look good, but at least itエs soft and shiny.

pixitolong
August 24th, 2019, 07:46 AM
I can't wait for this stage to be over for me. I have never looked so unkempt in my life. Its longer than a bob, so looks messy and not even at all. I would cut it to look neat but that would send me backward because some parts are extra long and that would mean really chopping back to match up to the shorter parts. I have long parts of my hair that are touching my shoulders at the back and at the front most are just ear length. This is a very mullet looking stage for me as I was growing fro pixie but the cut has grown out very uneven.

ManeGoal
September 3rd, 2019, 09:43 PM
Chin length!:cheese: and now on to shoulder!!! It is daunting, seems so far, if I can get my consistent 1/2 inch i will be there by end of winter...But I hold out for hope using inversion, peppermint oil and taking vitamins I can boost it up a bit! We will see. I can do a few things with it, two small braids, I braid the front bangs a lot, and simple half up. I'm trying to not use heat, but it's hard in this awkward stage where putting it up and forgetting about it can't happen yet. Such a rough stage, though with trimming I'm pleased to be chin length and no longer supporting that mulet. But shoulder length I feel will be when I can finally relax a bit and not feel so desperate to grow.

tekla
October 4th, 2019, 09:43 AM
I don't know if I should call it and move on to the next thread. From the back my hair reaches the lowest cervical vertebrae so I guess it is shoulder length?

giovanna93
November 16th, 2019, 11:14 AM
Hey...I've been a member of the forum for a few years now and this is my second time growing out a pixie (I apparently didn't learn my lesson the first time round :rolleyes: )

Right now I'm sitting at chin length and it's the most frustrating stage ever because I have some shorter pieces so my go to hairstyle is a half up half down. I cannot wait until it's all at the same length so I can get it up into a bun.

0xalis
November 19th, 2019, 12:35 AM
Chin length sounds long to me right now, I have a mid-ear bob! I should be around chin in 3-4 months I think. Can't seem to find an active pixie to chin thread though :confused:

lapushka
November 19th, 2019, 03:54 AM
Chin length sounds long to me right now, I have a mid-ear bob! I should be around chin in 3-4 months I think. Can't seem to find an active pixie to chin thread though :confused:

Before this the thread to go to is the "shorties" thread. HTH! :)

pixitolong
November 19th, 2019, 05:12 AM
I took the scissors the other day as there was a very long piece at the back that just didn't look right. I really hated cutting it but it now sit as a bob. I am going to hope that in 3 months from today, my hair is to my shoulders and beyond so...Feb 17th is my hair check in date now.

0xalis
November 19th, 2019, 04:24 PM
Thank you Lapushka, I found it! :)

SleepyTangles
November 20th, 2019, 12:47 AM
I took the scissors the other day as there was a very long piece at the back that just didn't look right. I really hated cutting it but it now sit as a bob. I am going to hope that in 3 months from today, my hair is to my shoulders and beyond so...Feb 17th is my hair check in date now.

I also cut off the "tail" of the pixie July or August. It was maybe 2 cm of extra length... But it was sooo annoying. Always poking out weirdly. Never regretted sacrificing that bit of length.

I mean, not that my hair sits so nicely now, they are all poofy and mushroom-y, but if I tuck the side pieces behind it can have somewhat of a shape. In November I managed to even the hemline a bit, tough not completely. I can't see the back of my head, so I trimmed very little for fear of making mistakes.

Growingit
December 3rd, 2019, 06:02 PM
Back at this again. I知 starting from just below chin length. I had to do the big chop due to massive amounts of hair loss. I知 blessed it痴 returning at all. I知 also starting a modified cgm since I知 a low density, medium course to course, 1c-2b. Hoping it grows fast 😊

PetiteLongHair
December 14th, 2019, 06:13 AM
My hair is just below chin length and i keep trying to see if i can put it in a pony tail :lol: still got a few more inches to go till I can manage that. It's getting frustrating doing exercise and its in my face all the time even with a hairband grrrr....:thud: Can't wait till I can start tying it up!

SleepyTangles
January 11th, 2020, 05:53 AM
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39831&d=1578746691

Almost there! Aurgh, just a tiiiiny bit and we're through the evil imploded mushroom stage...:waltz:

paulownia
January 12th, 2020, 03:45 AM
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39831&d=1578746691

Almost there! Aurgh, just a tiiiiny bit and we're through the evil imploded mushroom stage...:waltz:
I think you can soon graduate this thread! Congratulations:D

lapushka
January 12th, 2020, 04:11 AM
I think you can soon graduate this thread! Congratulations:D

Yes, not long now!

0xalis
January 12th, 2020, 04:54 AM
Congratulations, SleepyTangles!

I think I'll join this thread when I hit "mouth length"
cause I think at that point non-LHCers will be describing my hair as chin length.
Close enough to "chin" imo lol what exactly counts as the chin anyway.... :confused:
Should be hitting mouth in March and then solid bottom-of-chin in May!

SleepyTangles
January 12th, 2020, 09:33 AM
Thank you Paulownia, lapushka, 0xalis. Yeah, not long, I just need to not do anything brutally stupid in the meantime, Iエll throw away my scissors just to be sure ;).

Jaeie
February 2nd, 2020, 11:09 PM
Everytime I fantasize about trimming to get rid of minor splits/even out my DEVIL LAYERS I remember it値l only extend the amount of time I知 stuck near SL... not worth it.

SleepyTangles
February 4th, 2020, 12:29 AM
Everytime I fantasize about trimming to get rid of minor splits/even out my DEVIL LAYERS I remember it’ll only extend the amount of time I’m stuck near SL... not worth it.

I'm in the same situation! Hang on, you can resist!

0xalis
February 11th, 2020, 04:38 PM
Having finally reached mouth, it doesn't feel right to join this thread quite yet. I think I'll wait until I get to the actual top of my chin, at the "mentolabial crease".

doorgedraaid
February 21st, 2020, 05:36 AM
What updos can you manage, if any? And how do you do them?
I can either do a pony tail/tiny little bun at the back of my head with my front strand and fringe loose or a bun with only the upper layer of my hair. I usually use a scrunchie and make the most basic bun you can imagine :p

What is your final goal length?
Don't really have a goal length, Just want to see how it looks/feels to have long hair again

How do you style hair that is not that short, yet still definitely not long?
Usually a messy top bun using only my upper layer of hair with a scrunchie, although now I have it loose with a few tiny braids :)

doorgedraaid
February 21st, 2020, 05:37 AM
I actually really don't like the length now it's nearing shoulder length. I like my hair either shorter or longer, this makes my face just look so bland and basic :(

florenonite
February 21st, 2020, 06:23 AM
Can I hang out here? I feel like a cheater because most of my hair is much longer (in the long abyss between APL and BSL), but I'm growing out an undershave at the nape that's currently between the base of my skull and the middle of my neck. I can't do much in the way of updos because although most of my hair will form a nice bun, there's all these bits sticking out around the neck that don't quiiiiite fit into a ponytail. I've been doing lots of half-ups because I cannot stand my hair in my face, but I'd love to get some ideas for what else I can do with the awkward neck-length bits of hair.

0xalis
February 21st, 2020, 12:59 PM
I'm getting to chin length faster than I expected, I am already around the mentolabial crease when stretched?? I call all my milestones unstretched though.
I'm excited to see if I can make it to solid chin by May for my 1 year of growing anniversary :D

SleepyTangles
February 22nd, 2020, 02:16 AM
Can I hang out here? I feel like a cheater because most of my hair is much longer (in the long abyss between APL and BSL), but I'm growing out an undershave at the nape that's currently between the base of my skull and the middle of my neck. I can't do much in the way of updos because although most of my hair will form a nice bun, there's all these bits sticking out around the neck that don't quiiiiite fit into a ponytail. I've been doing lots of half-ups because I cannot stand my hair in my face, but I'd love to get some ideas for what else I can do with the awkward neck-length bits of hair.
Of course! Hang on, those pesky layers will eventually catch up.

I'm getting to chin length faster than I expected, I am already around the mentolabial crease when stretched?? I call all my milestones unstretched though.
I'm excited to see if I can make it to solid chin by May for my 1 year of growing anniversary :D
I'm sure you will, you have plenty of time still!

florenonite
February 22nd, 2020, 05:39 AM
Of course! Hang on, those pesky layers will eventually catch up.

Thanks :) I'm finding it awkward because I've never really had short hair before. There was a bob about a decade ago, but other than that the shortest it's ever been is shoulder length, so all these short hairs at the nape are a new thing for me.

Puffer Fish
March 1st, 2020, 07:26 PM
I am disappointed to say I am once again in this thread haha. Did a big chop to a bad haircut in mid February. But this time I'm finally prepared to grow it out! I've been between pixie and chin and almost shoulder since 2018.... I want to try being waist at least once in my life dangit!

SleepyTangles
March 9th, 2020, 02:51 AM
I think I entered Shoulder territory... even if I can't really 'feel' my hair on my shoulders, unless its wet. What do you think? :confused:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40532&d=1583571431

Ylva
March 9th, 2020, 03:30 AM
SleepyTangles, the longest parts are definitely past shoulder. I don't know how that length is ultimately determined. Congratulations! :)

lapushka
March 9th, 2020, 05:53 AM
I think that's shoulder all right! Congrats! :applause

SleepyTangles
March 9th, 2020, 09:44 AM
Thank you for the endorsement girls! :thumbsup:

oldrocker
March 14th, 2020, 09:35 AM
Hi,

Is this the thread for a guy growing out the typical men's haircut...short in front but probably below chin length in the back? Have only passed up my 'usual' haircut by about 4 weeks, so the top is getting unruly, and the back is wanting to curl up in what I guess they used to call a D.A. lol

If there is a better thread(already posted on the two men's threads, but not much growing out talk there right now, except a helpful hint or two from cjk) please let me know.

thank you,
O.R.

Ylva
March 14th, 2020, 11:47 AM
Hi,

Is this the thread for a guy growing out the typical men's haircut...short in front but probably below chin length in the back? Have only passed up my 'usual' haircut by about 4 weeks, so the top is getting unruly, and the back is wanting to curl up in what I guess they used to call a D.A. lol

If there is a better thread(already posted on the two men's threads, but not much growing out talk there right now, except a helpful hint or two from cjk) please let me know.

thank you,
O.R.

A length is a length, we're not differentiating between males and females. I suppose this could be a fitting one for growing out your particular cut.

oldrocker
March 15th, 2020, 12:00 AM
any suggestions for dealing with a 'stylist' to work with the top versus the bottom, so to speak? I'm guessing most stylist of today have no idea how to work with(especially in the early stages) a guy trying to not be...ummm Ugly in these stages.

thanks again in advance,
O.R.

Iyashikei
March 15th, 2020, 12:40 AM
any suggestions for dealing with a 'stylist' to work with the top versus the bottom, so to speak? I'm guessing most stylist of today have no idea how to work with(especially in the early stages) a guy trying to not be...ummm Ugly in these stages.

thanks again in advance,
O.R.

Mine just told me there's nothing to do about it other than wearing a hat and being patient. If I were you I'd just experiment with your hair a little bit to see what works and what doesn't. You could also draw inspiration from women with a similar length if you're brave enough. At least it's better than just slicking everything back.

oldrocker
March 15th, 2020, 09:40 PM
yeah....trying to avoid the slicking it all back look....even if it is poofy and large, as long as it feels in good condition, I can live with that, eh???

O.R.

Puffer Fish
March 16th, 2020, 05:31 PM
Ooh, yeah I know that feeling rocker. My colleague went slicked back and we could not stop making mob boss jokes at him, haha.

For me, the dreaded look is a poofy mid-neck-abyss triangle. My thick, wavy, can't be tamed except with water and a fine tooth comb hair really looked being a triangle in this phase.

But if I try really hard I can pull the majority of my hair into a little nubbin ponytail! So maybe by May I'll be able to actually tie it up and grow past the triangle phase.

Iyashikei
March 16th, 2020, 09:18 PM
I know what you mean with the triangle except that my hair isn't that wavy. The way I try handling this stage is slicking back the sides while keeping a side part on top. It still looks ridiculous but what doesn't at this stage? I am thinking of trimming my mullet back to a bob when the sides finally get past chin length though because that's my most problematic part. Maybe it'll look at least half decent.

0xalis
March 17th, 2020, 11:02 PM
During my hiatus I managed to make it to top-of-chin! So I'm going to officially join this thread now.
Apologies for being an absolute grease ball, tomorrow it will be a week since my last wash (not since last shower though lol!) Quarantine means time to experiment with stretching washes :p

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/668563929282117725/689699101897392178/IMG_20200317_215707.jpg?width=812&height=609

I'm aiming to reach the bottom of my chin by mid-May or early June. Excited to even get to mid-neck, my waves should start coming out more and more as I creep along to shoulder.
I should be reaching shoulder, perhaps even solid collarbone by the end of the year!

oldrocker
March 18th, 2020, 04:17 PM
Oxalis,

If it helps...I'm jealous of you having all one length hair....I'll have to trim/cut for months to get everything there. Still having trouble figuring how to post photos from albums to posts(and, yes, I have a post asking that question)

As suggested before....the rest of the week is simply a hat week. Guess I'm lucky haircuts are taboo(for the most part due to the emergency) or I would trim the bottom part up. Please give me strength to ignore this phase!!

O.R.

0xalis
March 18th, 2020, 08:34 PM
Well my hair does appear one length, but it is actually quite layered. I am growing out from a buzz cut after all!
I am lucky though to be able to have a blunt hemline that makes it seem all one length. The layers will be good for my growing though, they bring out my waves!

SleepyTangles
March 20th, 2020, 06:57 AM
Looks very good 0xalis! As someone with an angry poodle instead of real hair, I always wanted nice, straight, smooth hair like yours :bowtome:

oldrocker
March 24th, 2020, 01:42 PM
If I had never had long hair before, I would be embarrassed by my starting point, but got to have one, right????

https://i.imgur.com/GKPOupk.jpg

this is actually with about an inch growth since I started foregoing haircuts....oh well, nothing but time right????

O.R.

ETA:can you tell it was my first selfie???ever??? well, actually 2nd...first one showed my shirt tag....sigh

lapushka
March 24th, 2020, 06:01 PM
Looks very good 0xalis! As someone with an angry poodle instead of real hair, I always wanted nice, straight, smooth hair like yours :bowtome:

Now why does that accurately describe my hair. :lol: ;)

0xalis
March 25th, 2020, 05:24 PM
Oh thank you, SleepyTangles but actually my hair is quite similar to yours when it's freshly washed! Perfect segue for what I was already going to post...
Here are some fresh wash-day pictures, to make up for the greaseball pic ;) Although it looks so much better, I prefer the texture after a few days much more because it's not so airy and tangley...

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/668563929282117725/692510953538977932/inCollage_20200325_160102195.jpg

Sorry for the resting b**** face btw, forced smile is way creepier :P

SleepyTangles
March 27th, 2020, 09:55 AM
If I had never had long hair before, I would be embarrassed by my starting point, but got to have one, right????
https://i.imgur.com/GKPOupk.jpg
this is actually with about an inch growth since I started foregoing haircuts....oh well, nothing but time right????
O.R.

ETA:can you tell it was my first selfie???ever??? well, actually 2nd...first one showed my shirt tag....sigh

OldRocker, that's an awesome starting point! Very similar to mine back in April/May! Welcome :D

Now why does that accurately describe my hair. :lol: ;)
Ahahah, we can make a club out of It: the Angry Poodle Sisterhood.

Oh thank you, SleepyTangles but actually my hair is quite similar to yours when it's freshly washed! Perfect segue for what I was already going to post...
Here are some fresh wash-day pictures, to make up for the greaseball pic ;) Although it looks so much better, I prefer the texture after a few days much more because it's not so airy and tangley...
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/668563929282117725/692510953538977932/inCollage_20200325_160102195.jpg

This is a safe space with no judgement for RBF and fluffy tangles. OMG yes, forced smiles are creepy.

Dark40
March 27th, 2020, 08:08 PM
I sure remember when I was at this length 10 years ago! I have sure come a long way. :D

oldrocker
March 29th, 2020, 08:11 PM
Thank you SleepyTangles

We all have to start from some place, eh? I keep forgetting how many years passed in my past long hair phase, and think it should pass more quickly. In addition, since I will never submit to the guy mullet 'thing' again, I need to be ever vigilant/patient to reach any new milestone. My mane goal now is to teach myself the proper procedures now, so that as I get down the future milestones, I will have better habits already ingrained. I have already embraced SC twice a week with all natural non-cone products, and a night of leave in Coconut oil before the wash day. Plus, remembering what a very-long haired lady taught me about gentle detangling with a comb from bottom up, among other things, gives me hope that I will start out better than I did last time. As they say...benign neglect, with care and delicacy of your 'old lace' will give me the best chance of not doing harm in the early days.

Grazie, ST,

O.R.

Lanalavallama
April 4th, 2020, 04:12 AM
Posting to have the satisfaction of declaring that after a lifetime, when my hair is stretched, I am definitely shoulder and a bit away from collarbone. Coily is a different matter.
On to APL...

SleepyTangles
April 4th, 2020, 05:10 AM
Posting to have the satisfaction of declaring that after a lifetime, when my hair is stretched, I am definitely shoulder and a bit away from collarbone. Coily is a different matter.
On to APL...

Oh-ho, congratulations! :hifive:
Come join the Shoulder to APL thread :flowers:

Gabrielina
April 5th, 2020, 06:44 AM

Nice length, it suits you well!
I love the color & texture and the overall healthy look.
Keep going!

Bat
April 5th, 2020, 07:21 AM
one side for me is bottom of ear, but other side is top of ear, growing out a half and half that snapped off so not even in the slightest,not exactly chin length but by the end of the year my short side should be there, I hope D:

Lanalavallama
April 6th, 2020, 09:32 AM
Oh-ho, congratulations! :hifive:
Come join the Shoulder to APL thread :flowers:

ah, thank you! i have toddled over to that thread :)

Bat
April 10th, 2020, 06:37 AM
so it turns out I am actually here now, who knew? from the back i'm CL I'm in the same boat as 0xalis even though one side of my hair from the front is uneven

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/673791838578147331/698149146749567046/IMG20200410195227.jpg

oldrocker
April 10th, 2020, 11:51 PM
ok...using the official(at least it used to be...from the hairline in front).I have hit 15", guessing this makes it an official mullet...sighhh.

well, hopefully all the guys are not getting haircuts, so I am not too in front of the masses.

One good thing....the coconut oil and SC with good natural products is leaving a lot of softness on this formally semi-wiry head growth here. Trying to keep the 'wings' in line is fun though.

O.R.

Bat
April 11th, 2020, 03:27 AM
ok...using the official(at least it used to be...from the hairline in front)….I have hit 15", guessing this makes it an official mullet...sighhh.

well, hopefully all the guys are not getting haircuts, so I am not too in front of the masses.

One good thing....the coconut oil and SC with good natural products is leaving a lot of softness on this formally semi-wiry head growth here. Trying to keep the 'wings' in line is fun though.

O.R.

growing hair so it is past the awkward stage is a right pain I'm trying to get past that myself, the best thing to do is keep the back very short, until the sides and upper layers grow down. that stops the whole mullet thing but it can take a year before it gets past that stage, it depends if you want length over style. my picture above I need to cut that back part up soon, it's getting too long , my tops and sides are slow as hell

Iyashikei
April 11th, 2020, 10:04 AM
ok...using the official(at least it used to be...from the hairline in front).I have hit 15", guessing this makes it an official mullet...sighhh.

O.R.

Welcome to Club Mullet! Grab a cookie and make yourself confortable 😜

But seriously I don't think there's any better option. You could do what Bat adviced but it will look stupid either way.

Bat
April 11th, 2020, 02:22 PM
but slightly less stupid xD

oldrocker
April 11th, 2020, 02:54 PM
not to worry....if you look at my profile pic, I actually 'rocked'(yes, tongue in cheek) a super mullet on purpose my first go around. No, not doing that again on purpose...going for one length and see where I end up.

I only plan on micro-mini trims monthly at the most. Patience is a virtue, right... PLEASE...let me be virtuous....lol

O.R.

Bat
April 11th, 2020, 03:20 PM
You will have to become one with the mullet a while then till your top and sides grow down it will be worth while in the end

Iyashikei
April 11th, 2020, 10:18 PM
What Bat said. I have a mullet that's brushing shoulder length. It looks better than when it still was a bit shorter but still ridiculous. I'd be happy to put it up even if it's in a boring man bun and then let my sides catch up. My insecurity about it is the sole reason I haven't posted any pictures yet. Luckily I can't get a trim right now so that it goes faster.

Bat
April 12th, 2020, 12:10 AM
That's what a few do to hide the tail, I personally like to have it as even as possible even if I have to lose the length

Iyashikei
April 12th, 2020, 06:48 AM
Well, to each their own I guess. I'd be very sad to see the length I already have in the back disappear. Truth is I can already make a baby ponytail but it would require being very tight and now with quarantine happening it'll probably be of no use either way. By the time I can make an appointment it will probably be another two months and, if my hair keeps growing at the same speed as before, a more confortable updo will be possible.

0xalis
April 12th, 2020, 06:20 PM
It could be the pregnancy hormones but the front of my hair is Zipping toward bottom-of-chin length! It's already there stretched O:

Bat
April 12th, 2020, 07:47 PM
Well, to each their own I guess. I'd be very sad to see the length I already have in the back disappear. Truth is I can already make a baby ponytail but it would require being very tight and now with quarantine happening it'll probably be of no use either way. By the time I can make an appointment it will probably be another two months and, if my hair keeps growing at the same speed as before, a more confortable updo will be possible.

more than likely, I'm an essential so i still have to leave the house so I don't want to have ugly mullet hair

It could be the pregnancy hormones but the front of my hair is Zipping toward bottom-of-chin length! It's already there stretched O:

you'll; be to shoulder in no time!

0xalis
April 12th, 2020, 07:56 PM

I sure hope so!! :D I already guessed to be there by the end of the year, and that's when the baby's supposed to be due (if all goes well!)
Just hoping I don't get a horrific postpartum shed haha. I'd rather have my normal growth rate or even no growth at all than lose half of my hair :P

Bat
April 12th, 2020, 08:46 PM
I sure hope so!! :D I already guessed to be there by the end of the year, and that's when the baby's supposed to be due (if all goes well!)
Just hoping I don't get a horrific postpartum shed haha. I'd rather have my normal growth rate or even no growth at all than lose half of my hair :P

I'm with you on that, I'm trans and my skin does not like testosterone, and I've had very bad breakouts, all cyst acne it's terrible and it makes me feel like trash, so I've started some strong medication that has a good success rate but it can cause hairloss and i've been shedding a bit D: I don't want to lose my hair

Iyashikei
April 12th, 2020, 10:03 PM
Congratulations! Both with your hair and pregnancy.

more than likely, I'm an essential so i still have to leave the house so I don't want to have ugly mullet hair

I'm also an essential, I just didn't think about mullets when I started growing it out.

Bat
April 12th, 2020, 10:52 PM

I'm also an essential, I just didn't think about mullets when I started growing it out.

they creep up on you oneday its growing all nice then the Mullet is all HI! HOW ARE YA?

Ylva
April 13th, 2020, 01:54 AM

I had no idea you were pregnant! Congrats! :)

Bat
April 15th, 2020, 08:15 AM
I got my clarifying shampoo,along with normal conditioner and repair stuff, looking forward to using it

Ylva
April 15th, 2020, 08:18 AM
I got my clarifying shampoo,along with normal conditioner and repair stuff, looking forward to using it

Which clarifying shampoo did you get?

Didn't see you around for a couple of days, I think, and I thought you'd abandoned us almost right off the bat!

Bat. Hihi.

Bat
April 15th, 2020, 08:26 AM
Which clarifying shampoo did you get?

Didn't see you around for a couple of days, I think, and I thought you'd abandoned us almost right off the bat!

Bat. Hihi.

lmao I saw what you did there, I've been working big long days and I also thought I was annoying people so had a day break, I still lurk everyday

its Joico K-pak clarifying shampoo, conditioner and treatment thing,

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/673791838578147331/699988944644735096/IMG20200416002412.jpg

Ylva
April 15th, 2020, 08:32 AM
lmao I saw what you did there, I've been working big long days and I also thought I was annoying people so had a day break, I still lurk everyday

its Joico K-pak clarifying shampoo, conditioner and treatment thing,

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/673791838578147331/699988944644735096/IMG20200416002412.jpg

Ah nice, I've heard good things about that particular clarifying shampoo! I haven't used that but I did use a bottle of the regular K-Pak shampoo and really liked it for my bleached hair. That treatment I haven't used either, but I do have another one by Joico which I hate. I even ranted about it here (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=151932), haha.

Oh and don't worry about annoying people. Being yourself, you (general you) are bound to annoy some people, and while it's unfortunate, for them in particular, it's okay. We can't always please everybody.

Bat
April 15th, 2020, 08:39 AM
Ah nice, I've heard good things about that particular clarifying shampoo! I haven't used that but I did use a bottle of the regular K-Pak shampoo and really liked it for my bleached hair. That treatment I haven't used either, but I do have another one by Joico which I hate. I even ranted about it here (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=151932), haha.

Oh and don't worry about annoying people. Being yourself, you (general you) are bound to annoy some people, and while it's unfortunate, for them in particular, it's okay. We can't always please everybody.

oooh did they ever get back to you? hopefully this stuff is okay, but my hair seems to not really like anything I put in it, I was using ogx for a while, 3 sorts of it, works for a while then hair goes limp and gross, but I'll eventually use them all up to make my use it up lost bigger. and thats true, usually I'm always myself i just have days where it bugs me, but I'm fine now though

Bat
April 16th, 2020, 08:05 AM
well the clarifying shampoo made my scalp flake more
so thats gross

Iyashikei
April 24th, 2020, 11:38 AM
I just noticed that my longest parts reached shoulder length! However my sides are still at chin length so I'll be residing here for a little while until they caught up with the back.

0xalis
April 24th, 2020, 04:09 PM
I'm with you on that, I'm trans and my skin does not like testosterone, and I've had very bad breakouts, all cyst acne it's terrible and it makes me feel like trash, so I've started some strong medication that has a good success rate but it can cause hairloss and i've been shedding a bit D: I don't want to lose my hair

I'm trans too, of the nonbinary variety! And so is my wife ;) I've considered going on T but I've come to a point where I feel very neutral about my body so I'll just leave it alone :p I'm that lazy.
+ I couldn't be on it right now anyway, with the bun in the oven and all haha! My wife and I are hoping her estrogen will help prevent hair loss, she's got great hair so it'd be a shame to see it go!

I had no idea you were pregnant! Congrats! :)

Thank you both!! :o

Bat
April 27th, 2020, 07:33 AM
I'm trans too, of the nonbinary variety! And so is my wife ;) I've considered going on T but I've come to a point where I feel very neutral about my body so I'll just leave it alone :p I'm that lazy.
+ I couldn't be on it right now anyway, with the bun in the oven and all haha! My wife and I are hoping her estrogen will help prevent hair loss, she's got great hair so it'd be a shame to see it go!

My shedding slowed down, but this medication has turned me Into a human snow globe! I wouldn't go back to being a female, although if back then I knew it would be this hard I wouldn't have gone through with it.

0xalis
April 28th, 2020, 04:24 PM
My shedding slowed down, but this medication has turned me Into a human snow globe! I wouldn't go back to being a female, although if back then I knew it would be this hard I wouldn't have gone through with it.

If only the estrogen would cure my wife's dandruff, she too is a human snow globe! It's so funny. I'm always pulling little pieces out of her hair!
I totally get that, I think I saved myself a lot of time and energy by not transitioning medically!

Bat
April 29th, 2020, 02:21 AM
If only the estrogen would cure my wife's dandruff, she too is a human snow globe! It's so funny. I'm always pulling little pieces out of her hair!
I totally get that, I think I saved myself a lot of time and energy by not transitioning medically!
The curse of Dry scalps! If I really wanted to do the female thing again when my hair gets long I can easily shave my face and you wouldn't really know! Unless you get close that is, and when you get tired of that just let the fuz grow!

Obsidian
April 29th, 2020, 11:01 AM
I just noticed that my longest parts reached shoulder length! However my sides are still at chin length so I'll be residing here for a little while until they caught up with the back.

Thats about where mine is. The sides might be a little longer then chin but not by much.

0xalis
April 30th, 2020, 10:53 PM
Well, probably can't rely on the pregnancy hormones as a speed boost for much longer... :(
Thanks to everyone that had congratulated me but sometimes things just aren't meant to be I guess.

On a positive note, my bangs are now mouth length stretched! The longest parts in the back are also mid-neck length! I might get to Technical Shoulder way faster than expected, since my hemline is such a strong U shape. Won't really feel like shoulder to me probably until the side locks (like around the ears) reach shoulder though. I love the U though, I know it's gonna look great when it's longer.

hosuli
May 2nd, 2020, 10:29 AM
Checking in to this thread! I am currently about 1cm over my chin level, hoping to reach shoulder sometime around autumn.

Also so happy to see other trans / non-binary ppl here! You are actually the reason I finally dared to go from lurking to posting. :heartbeat

Bat
May 2nd, 2020, 03:57 PM
Well, probably can't rely on the pregnancy hormones as a speed boost for much longer... :(
Thanks to everyone that had congratulated me but sometimes things just aren't meant to be I guess.

On a positive note, my bangs are now mouth length stretched! The longest parts in the back are also mid-neck length! I might get to Technical Shoulder way faster than expected, since my hemline is such a strong U shape. Won't really feel like shoulder to me probably until the side locks (like around the ears) reach shoulder though. I love the U though, I know it's gonna look great when it's longer.

Hey are you okay? That didn't sound too good?? D:

Bat
May 2nd, 2020, 03:59 PM
Checking in to this thread! I am currently about 1cm over my chin level, hoping to reach shoulder sometime around autumn.

Also so happy to see other trans / non-binary ppl here! You are actually the reason I finally dared to go from lurking to posting. :heartbeat

Glad to have you come into the light!

hosuli
May 3rd, 2020, 04:50 AM

Oh no, did not even read this one properly as there was an add in between. I hope you are okay!

And thank you, Bat!

0xalis
May 3rd, 2020, 05:57 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm relatively okay given the circumstances. They think I had a silent miscarriage.
I had a really early ultrasound at 8 weeks though, because I'm considered high risk, & have read it's technically possible to be misdiagnosed especially this early on.
I'm just going to have to wait and see what happens. If it's not a misdiagnosis we can just try again later. Still sucks and hurts a lot though.

On a positive note, it's finally been a whole year since my last buzz cut! My hair grew a whole ton :inlove:
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/668563929282117725/706652671116968026/FotoJet.png?width=920&height=577

Obsidian
May 3rd, 2020, 06:49 PM
I've technically hit shoulder with the back but I'm not calling it until the sides are shoulder. Looks like I have 2-3 more inches to go.

0xalis
May 3rd, 2020, 07:35 PM
I've technically hit shoulder with the back but I'm not calling it until the sides are shoulder. Looks like I have 2-3 more inches to go.

I feel you there, my sides are just barely at the bottom of my chin and the back is already at mid-neck.

Bat
May 4th, 2020, 12:14 AM
hopefully you still are ticking on baking that peanut, I wish you the best! and your hair had amazing growth for one year, I got lik a number 6 shave jon in late 2018 and its shorter than that, I did also have trims every 3 months, and over dyed it so that could be why, I did have a small growth spurt last month i think https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/673791838578147331/706523195657945139/month_growth.png

could just be the photo angle

Ylva
May 4th, 2020, 01:28 AM
So sorry, 0xalis. :grouphug: Great growth!

Bat, it definitely looks longer.

oldrocker
May 4th, 2020, 04:13 PM
Oaxilis,

So noticeable, all that growth. Nice. Took a picture today, but since my first pic I took sucks, you can't tell any difference. Plus, I'm horrible taking selfies....probably should get out my DSLR and tripod... I think it is growing relatively fast, as middle Feb, the sides were still above the ear, and now it is down to bottom or ear. Just ugly growing out phase, but everyone hasn't had a haircut, so I'm trying to fly under the radar now. Just measured, and the back stretched out is around 16" from front hairline.

O.R.

Bat
May 6th, 2020, 05:15 AM
the awkward stage really sucks, I'm still stuck in that phase and I feel like I'm never getting out of it one side is technically passed it but the side I killed is all over the place uneven

Bat
May 6th, 2020, 05:16 AM
So sorry, 0xalis. :grouphug: Great growth!

Bat, it definitely looks longer.

thank goodness, better some than none!

0xalis
May 17th, 2020, 02:27 PM
Hey guys, I can do an exploding cinnabun with mini claw clips!! :D

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/668563929282117725/711676059854307359/IMG_20200516_202817.jpg?width=457&height=609

Iyashikei
May 17th, 2020, 09:15 PM
Hey guys, I can do an exploding cinnabun with mini claw clips!! :D

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/668563929282117725/711676059854307359/IMG_20200516_202817.jpg?width=457&height=609

Nice. Is it tight with your length? I feel like I would like to put mine up but am afraid it's going to be too tight.

0xalis
May 18th, 2020, 01:50 AM
Nice. Is it tight with your length? I feel like I would like to put mine up but am afraid it's going to be too tight.
Nope, it's quite comfortable! Give it a shot and see how it feels, YMMV!

Iyashikei
May 18th, 2020, 06:30 AM
Nope, it's quite comfortable! Give it a shot and see how it feels, YMMV!

I will try it when I buy something to keep it together.

0xalis
May 18th, 2020, 03:17 PM
Here's today's updo, I'm doing the "wear it up" challenge... surprisingly versatile at such a short length :D I could probably even manage french braids if I could actually braid :p
I don't normally hide my face I just didn't like how I looked in the photo lol. It's held up for several hours so far, only a few small locks coming out and I have just clipped them up with more snap clips.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/668563929282117725/712016615092387840/inCollage_20200518_115845972.jpg?width=914&height=609

Lanalavallama
May 19th, 2020, 04:33 AM
Loving the updos oxalis. I think experimenting and enjoying every length sounds so clich, but makes it a lot more fun.

0xalis
May 19th, 2020, 03:44 PM
Loving the updos oxalis. I think experimenting and enjoying every length sounds so clich, but makes it a lot more fun.

It is SO much more fun this way! I love my hair as it is now, it's short but simultaneously feels so long to me because it's the longest it's been in over 2 years.
It's crazy to even be able to do a ponytail, let alone other styles! Enjoying the journey is so much better than waiting impatiently to get to the destination :p

hosuli
May 19th, 2020, 03:54 PM
Your updos are so pretty, oxalis! I have been using a claw clips as well since I am pretty paranoid on causing some damage with normal hairties. Can't wait to be able to use hairsticks!!

0xalis
May 19th, 2020, 05:08 PM
Thank you so much hosuli!! Claw clips rock, they're seriously some of my favourite toys.

My wife JUST reached shoulder length, I'm a bit envious ;) We just noticed yesterday!
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/668563929282117725/712436852308836422/IMG_20200519_154832.jpg?width=457&height=609

Bat
May 20th, 2020, 10:44 AM
Whoop nice and your hair grows so fast! And hers looks great! Shiny and straight

clandestine
May 20th, 2020, 12:07 PM
Beautiful hair everyone! I enjoy seeing the claws and snap clips being used because I use them too.

xanthochromia
May 25th, 2020, 05:04 PM
This is my first time posting here, so I hope I'm not doing something wrong!

I always felt like I had "bad hair" -- it's medium blonde 1b?/F/i, and people always told me it would look thicker if I kept it short and that short hair suited me better anyways. It has been between pixie and chin-length for the last 15 years. About 3 weeks ago, though, I started using an antique silver BBB that belonged to my SO's grandmother and it has totally transformed my hair. What had previously looked stringy now looks shiny and healthy. It is soft without sticking totally flat to my head. I can even go a whopping 24 hours without washing rather than feeling like 12 hours is pushing it.

Because of this revelation, I have decided to grow my hair to just see what it looks like. It is currently virgin hair in a jaw-length, minimally layered bob. The last time it was long, my hair was so damaged from trying to make it blonder and fuller and curlier and everything else it's not. This time around, I am going to try to embrace my natural hair and treat it kindly. I will probably always have a 1.5"-ish ponytail and it will certainly always be fine and straight, but that doesn't mean it's "bad" hair or that I don't have the right to wear it long. I bought my first brush of my adult life: a Kent DA4S BBB for fine/thin hair, which I will use daily and keep clean. I will massage my scalp when I wash and before bed. I will pat-dry my hair gently rather than roughing it up to get "volume". I will stop avoiding conditioner in a misguided attempt to avoid oiliness. I may still have to shampoo my roots every day in the summer, but I will try CWC as it grows and will limit the shampoo to just my roots.

I have obviously been reading through this forum and am making my way through the threads here and for Thin/Fine, Straight/Silky, and Blonde hair, but does anyone here have any other specific advice for me in this somewhat overwhelming process? It's very exciting to be trying something so new to me and yet so old in humanity!

Ylva
May 26th, 2020, 02:50 AM

I always felt like I had "bad hair" -- it's medium blonde 1b?/F/i, and people always told me it would look thicker if I kept it short and that short hair suited me better anyways. It has been between pixie and chin-length for the last 15 years. About 3 weeks ago, though, I started using an antique silver BBB that belonged to my SO's grandmother and it has totally transformed my hair. What had previously looked stringy now looks shiny and healthy. It is soft without sticking totally flat to my head. I can even go a whopping 24 hours without washing rather than feeling like 12 hours is pushing it.

Because of this revelation, I have decided to grow my hair to just see what it looks like. It is currently virgin hair in a jaw-length, minimally layered bob. The last time it was long, my hair was so damaged from trying to make it blonder and fuller and curlier and everything else it's not. This time around, I am going to try to embrace my natural hair and treat it kindly. I will probably always have a 1.5"-ish ponytail and it will certainly always be fine and straight, but that doesn't mean it's "bad" hair or that I don't have the right to wear it long. I bought my first brush of my adult life: a Kent DA4S BBB for fine/thin hair, which I will use daily and keep clean. I will massage my scalp when I wash and before bed. I will pat-dry my hair gently rather than roughing it up to get "volume". I will stop avoiding conditioner in a misguided attempt to avoid oiliness. I may still have to shampoo my roots every day in the summer, but I will try CWC as it grows and will limit the shampoo to just my roots.

I have obviously been reading through this forum and am making my way through the threads here and for Thin/Fine, Straight/Silky, and Blonde hair, but does anyone here have any other specific advice for me in this somewhat overwhelming process? It's very exciting to be trying something so new to me and yet so old in humanity!

Welcome to the forum! :)

You're right, there's absolutely nothing "bad" about your hair, and you're allowed to have it exactly the way you want. I'm so happy to hear you've had this realisation. I'm sure you already know this but people are going to come at you for having your hair something they don't want it to be, but I'm sure you're prepared to deal with them.

I think there is very special charm to thin hair. It looks delicate and elvish. Hair thickness isn't on a scale from bad to good, but one thing - - - something different, and there are positives and negatives in all areas on the scale.

ioanaxena
May 26th, 2020, 04:56 AM
Finally my hair is all at chin length - just trimmed the back of my hair because it was at a mullet-ish stage. We'll see how long it takes to grow to my shoulders, since I'm planning on leaving it alone to do its business and stop trimming it for the rest of the year :).

redfrau
May 26th, 2020, 06:55 AM

Hi Xanthochromia!
Welcome! I am new here too (my first post!), so I also hope I'm not doing anything wrong!

I'm so excited for you to embrace your natural hair texture and grow it out!

Even though I'm new to the forum, I've grown my hair from 1/2" buzzed to BSL and every length in between (I usually rotate between chin length bob to long, unruly shag every few years, LOL). I don't have any specific advice for you except to let yourself make mistakes and not feel like you have to have it all figured out right away. Also, try to be patient. I saw a signature line on a post the other day that said something like "whatever I do, my hair is longer today than it was yesterday." It's so easy to feel like your hair will never get there and get impatient. It takes time and you'll one day look back somewhat fondly on all the different lengths and phases, so try to enjoy the process!

Ylva
May 26th, 2020, 07:02 AM
Welcome to you too, redfrau! :)

redfrau
May 26th, 2020, 07:02 AM
Beautiful hair everyone! I enjoy seeing the claws and snap clips being used because I use them too.

I love the mini claw clips! Especially at this length, it's a really cute and fun way to get the annoying bits to be a little less annoying!

Iyashikei
May 26th, 2020, 09:57 AM
It was messy and a bit awkward, but I managed to get my hair in a tiny ponytail for the first time ever!!!

Bat
May 31st, 2020, 09:03 PM
Welcome fellow growers! I'm excited to be part of your journey, we are all in this together!

redfrau
May 31st, 2020, 09:31 PM
Welcome to you too, redfrau! :)
Thank you, Ylva!

ynne
May 31st, 2020, 11:41 PM
xanthochromia, I don't have any advice as my hair is a very different type, but I just wanted to say that it's so great to read about your experience! I also joined this forum after a decision to accept my hair in its natural state, and to learn to treat it as it is, not as the hair I wish I had instead. :) I've seen the photo of your hair, and it looks beautiful.

redfrau
June 1st, 2020, 04:01 PM
Hi everyone! I was looking at the hair lengths chart, and I think I知 actually past shoulder length. I was getting CBL and shoulder confused. What do you think?

https://i.postimg.cc/DJhhZrpf/246-EF269-3-E6-A-4-F57-B372-30434-F2-DC8-B0.jpg (https://postimg.cc/DJhhZrpf)

https://i.postimg.cc/Z97PYH5p/image.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Z97PYH5p)

Thanks for your thoughts!

ynne
June 1st, 2020, 05:48 PM
Hi everyone! I was looking at the hair lengths chart, and I think I知 actually past shoulder length. I was getting CBL and shoulder confused. What do you think?

https://i.postimg.cc/DJhhZrpf/246-EF269-3-E6-A-4-F57-B372-30434-F2-DC8-B0.jpg (https://postimg.cc/DJhhZrpf)

https://i.postimg.cc/Z97PYH5p/image.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Z97PYH5p)

Thanks for your thoughts!

It's a bit hard to tell from the angle, but it looks like it's at least brushing collarbone length? Definitely past shoulder! Btw, your hair is really pretty, I know you described it as awkward length, but I really don't see it! :) I think it's a cute length when the waves sort of pool around the shoulders/sit on them.

redfrau
June 1st, 2020, 06:58 PM
It's a bit hard to tell from the angle, but it looks like it's at least brushing collarbone length? Definitely past shoulder! Btw, your hair is really pretty, I know you described it as awkward length, but I really don't see it! :) I think it's a cute length when the waves sort of pool around the shoulders/sit on them.
Aww thanks so much, I needed to hear that! I知 just so tired of being at this length. It seems to stay forever between chin and shoulder, and then feels like it takes like 4 years to finally get to APL!

Bri-Chan
June 2nd, 2020, 03:00 AM
redfrau you definitely passed SL!

Bat
June 3rd, 2020, 07:42 AM
Congrats on the new milestone!

Waveurly
June 3rd, 2020, 09:57 AM
Just posting here to try and encourage everyone a bit! Seems like a little while ago that I was in this thread, I think about 3 years ago, and now I'm BSL! I did trim regularly though. So keep on going and growing and you'll get wherever you want to be before you know it! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

elfgirl
June 3rd, 2020, 10:37 AM
Save for my fringe/bangs, I'm definitely at chin length, and my back layers are already at shoulder! But since it's all wavy and poofy from the humidity, it all looks around chin length, lol. When it's finger combed out, it's definitely past both chin and an inch or so past shoulder. Slowly getting there!

~~~~~~~~

Thank you, Waveurly! The positive words are much appreciated ^.^ Congrats on BSL!!

0xalis
June 8th, 2020, 12:44 AM
I noticed when my hair was wet today, that the longest parts in the back are already at the very bottom of my neck!
My hair will likely be solid shoulder dry by the end of the summer, though not quite collarbone, which is what really feels like "shoulder".
I'll probably hang around in this thread until I'm solid collarbone length ;)

Bat
June 8th, 2020, 03:05 AM
I noticed when my hair was wet today, that the longest parts in the back are already at the very bottom of my neck!
My hair will likely be solid shoulder dry by the end of the summer, though not quite collarbone, which is what really feels like "shoulder".
I'll probably hang around in this thread until I'm solid collarbone length ;)

whooooo! your hair is growing so fast, it's really exciting. I cut some of my longer side into bangs to make the short side not as obvious, now it sits weird xD

oldrocker
June 8th, 2020, 11:17 AM
been trying to ignore it....but it doesn't want to be ignored...sigh.... it did grow about a 1/2 inch in a little more than a month in back, but the bad pics I take make it look as short as when I started. Of course you have to stretch it straight to measure properly, right??? I think I have a long neck in back...lol although checking with the ruler shows the back hair is over 2" below the bottom of my ears.

the front is still becoming a semi-massive ummm....mass Trying to benign neglect, but at least it seems to like the S.O. combination. feels softer than I ever remember it.(course I wasn''t using conditioner for the guy haircut for the previous 10 + years.

a young coworker who has been working from home saw me for the first time in a couple months and she said nice hair dude!!! I'll take it.

O.R.

oldrocker
June 11th, 2020, 07:02 AM
it's not much of a real hair shot(since I have a hat on!!!), but you can kindof see the growth in the back....I started out in February with typical guy above the ears cut. Forgive the crappy pic as this is only my 4th or so selfie ever....hard not to feel a little self-conscious taking my own pic.

https://i.imgur.com/1tndcmz.jpg

as stated, it stretches out at least another half inch(says a desperate sounding non-long hair)

O.R.

Bat
June 11th, 2020, 09:46 AM
Taking photos from the back might make you feel like you are getting somewhere more than from the front. My sides are uneven so I can relate having short hair blues

Ylva
June 11th, 2020, 12:37 PM
Beautiful texture and colour, oldrocker!

DropStitches
June 11th, 2020, 03:14 PM
Beautiful texture and colour, oldrocker!

I second that, oldrocker - your silver is so crisp and lovely!

oldrocker
June 11th, 2020, 05:01 PM
y'all gonna make me blush.... but seriously, thank you. and Bat, been trying to get back shots, but stuck by myself, well with Kenny, but his paws aren't steady enough for photographs....lol

plus, the one from the back that you can make out, the back curled back up so much it looks like it hasn't grown at all. just a little more length/weight, it might start hanging down better....trying to remember way back when how it grew out the first time...

O.R.

oldrocker
June 11th, 2020, 05:46 PM
but...the earlier mullet talk just takes me back to my old dayssss..... ok...y'all be kind for the style, but this is from the 90s when I was called NotSoOldRocker.....lol it was supposed to be a self-timed promo shot for the band I was in at the time(remember,,,no digital cameras, no cell phones then)

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41662&d=1591917616

O.R.

Bri-Chan
June 11th, 2020, 06:12 PM
I like a lot your color, oldrocker. It looks like a perfect silver!
I like that style! And the mullet suited it. Oh, bass guitar... I don't play it since the end of high schools.

Bat
June 11th, 2020, 10:59 PM
you looked great, both then and now, I agree, I like the silver it is now,does your phone have a timer? you can prop it up, and use the 10 second option, it gives you enough time to turn around and get into position. depends if you have an iphone/android

Iyashikei
June 12th, 2020, 06:36 AM
Looks good Oldrocker

oldrocker
June 18th, 2020, 03:38 PM
Ha...I feel like such a braggart for being here such a short time, but a female acquaintance at a local mini-mart, who I had talked to back in March/April about trying to grow out again, without prompting blurted out when I walked in the store about how much my hair had grown. Gonna take that as a positive, since it was the first thing out of her mouth. Plus, she had gotten a good bit or hers cut...so I joked that I would be zooming by her soon.

She then said something about it being down to butt(she used a slightly rougher noun) before I knew it....

Not much in the grand scheme of things, but any 'positive' unprovoked acknowledgement is good, right???? lol

took a newish pic like Bat suggested....when the back was still wet, but doesn't look very impressive to me....but, will try to photoshop it down to size and post.

don't worry...not gonna get a big head about it....

O.R.

Bat
June 19th, 2020, 11:35 AM
Call it a mini milestone, it's a good thing! to me when people verbally mention it's getting long, it means I'm actually getting somewhere

0xalis
June 25th, 2020, 12:13 AM
(Sorry about the image quality, y'all know how it be lol)
Finally got around to snapping a wet hair pic, but i noticed before my shower that my hair is pretty solid bottom-of-neck length when dry now too 0: so i updated my siggy! I could possibly be brushing shoulder even sooner than September...
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/668563929282117725/725591225918423090/IMG_20200624_225950.jpg

Iyashikei
June 25th, 2020, 06:43 AM
(Sorry about the image quality, y'all know how it be lol)
Finally got around to snapping a wet hair pic, but i noticed before my shower that my hair is pretty solid bottom-of-neck length when dry now too 0: so i updated my siggy! I could possibly be brushing shoulder even sooner than September...
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/668563929282117725/725591225918423090/IMG_20200624_225950.jpg

Congrats. Your hair has grown quite a bit since you're here, didn't it? I remember you barely being chin length.

0xalis
June 25th, 2020, 02:01 PM
Congrats. Your hair has grown quite a bit since you're here, didn't it? I remember you barely being chin length.

Yes indeed! I do believe that during my short-lived pregnancy I had a bit of a growth spurt, so thats a silver lining to all that has happened. I think my hair is also Loving the prenatal vitamins! Might stay on them for quite a while longer, even if we have a baby. How convenient that the nutrients we need for growing small humans is also excellent for growing hair! ;)

0xalis
June 25th, 2020, 02:29 PM
Got some dry hair pictures today, but I did take them with my tablet so they're just Okay ahaha
Had a nice wash last night, my hair feels wonderful today! :o

My bangs are chin length stretched, and mouth length unstretched, they're particularly springy lol
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/668563929282117725/725808987542650930/inCollage_20200625_132441799.jpg

lapushka
June 25th, 2020, 04:44 PM
Got some dry hair pictures today, but I did take them with my tablet so they're just Okay ahaha
Had a nice wash last night, my hair feels wonderful today! :o

My bangs are chin length stretched, and mouth length unstretched, they're particularly springy lol
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/668563929282117725/725808987542650930/inCollage_20200625_132441799.jpg

You grew so much hair in such a short time! :)

I remember you being close to ear length! OMG!

oldrocker
June 25th, 2020, 07:23 PM
Oxalis,

Your hair is really looking good. You have the ability to just let it be and it appears to have the (for lack of a better term) head hugging style that looks intentional and doesn't shout out 'I just started growing it out now!!!)

If you can't tell, this is meant to be a compliment....lol

Peace out,
O.R.

0xalis
June 25th, 2020, 09:33 PM
Aw, shucks! Thank you both :o

Bat
June 26th, 2020, 01:40 AM
ooooh it is looks soo good!

0xalis
July 7th, 2020, 02:50 PM
(Cross-post from the braid picture thread)

I finally managed to French braid my hair by myself for the first time in my entire life!
It's a bit messy yeah, but what do you expect from a beginner? :p

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/418228522142793740/730160316360556644/IMG_20200707_133314.jpg

oldrocker
July 7th, 2020, 03:11 PM
looks like a great job from here. congrats on a successful first of many to come.

O.R.

oldrocker
July 7th, 2020, 03:17 PM
I've been trying to just ignore the messy in-between stage, but it's starting to not let me. with the recent high heat and humidity here in the midwest, I have been experiencing the dreaded poof ball kind of thing, and am afraid I need to do some tidying up when out in public or at work. Reading some of the frizz threads led me to baby oil and I also found a spray with keratin to try to smooth it a bit. Also went looking for bandannas and/or headbands for guys as an alternative to having to wear hats when playing out. Went to 6 different places yesterday with no luck except a black stretchy-lycra like sports headband. Now I need basic help with getting that on....my first try in the car left me with an extended mushroom top. Not the look I was going for. I don't know if it is just too small and tight, but I can't seem to just slide it down, and if I pull it hard enough down, I seem to have to adjust it back up again, and it takes the poof with it. gonna need some practice...but I wonder if it would be easier to do it with damp hair in the morning? I just worry if continually getting it wet, and whether it will attempt to mold quickly or not.

any thoughts?

O.R.

Bat
July 7th, 2020, 08:53 PM
I've been trying to just ignore the messy in-between stage, but it's starting to not let me. with the recent high heat and humidity here in the midwest, I have been experiencing the dreaded poof ball kind of thing, and am afraid I need to do some tidying up when out in public or at work. Reading some of the frizz threads led me to baby oil and I also found a spray with keratin to try to smooth it a bit. Also went looking for bandannas and/or headbands for guys as an alternative to having to wear hats when playing out. Went to 6 different places yesterday with no luck except a black stretchy-lycra like sports headband. Now I need basic help with getting that on....my first try in the car left me with an extended mushroom top. Not the look I was going for. I don't know if it is just too small and tight, but I can't seem to just slide it down, and if I pull it hard enough down, I seem to have to adjust it back up again, and it takes the poof with it. gonna need some practice...but I wonder if it would be easier to do it with damp hair in the morning? I just worry if continually getting it wet, and whether it will attempt to mold quickly or not.

any thoughts?

O.R.

seems like its too tight for me, it shouldn't be a struggle to put on, you can also just use a normal plain headband to get it out of your face at least, or get some product to slick it down, keep pushing on through it, you'll regret it if you stop now.

Iyashikei
July 7th, 2020, 10:05 PM

I finally managed to French braid my hair by myself for the first time in my entire life!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/418228522142793740/730160316360556644/IMG_20200707_133314.jpg

Yay, congratulations! It looks super cute too.

Bri-Chan
July 8th, 2020, 06:33 AM

Oh you did a good job!

Bat
July 9th, 2020, 08:22 PM
I managed to do a little half pony yaaaay!
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/719128602024738824/730899147531747368/JPEG_20200709_215615.jpg

C_Bookworm
July 9th, 2020, 08:45 PM
I managed to do a little half pony yaaaay!
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/719128602024738824/730899147531747368/JPEG_20200709_215615.jpg

Woohoo, fun milestone and your hair color is looking awesome.

0xalis
July 10th, 2020, 12:06 AM
Thanks everyone!! Just now I also managed to do a single French braid!!! I think this is going to be my go-to hairstyle now.
I just love how it gets all my hair out of my face, with my bangs and layers a normal ponytail doesn't do the trick like this does.
My hair gets kind of tangly after a wash, so it could be tidier, but I think with some more sebum and some practice I could get a pretty decent looking one!!! I'm amazed it took me 24 years to learn this but I'm sure glad that I did eventually.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/418228522142793740/731024958846795808/IMG_0195.jpg

Bat your half pony is so darling!!! Teleport me to you and I will try to braid your hair ;)

Edit: not sure why it flipped my picture, though I suppose it doesn't matter that much so I'm not going to bother trying to fix it right now lol.

Bat
July 10th, 2020, 01:27 AM
Woohoo, fun milestone and your hair color is looking awesome.

goodness my image was HUGE! and thank you! I want to dye some of it black though I suit red and black as a combo but alas I'm forcing myself not to dye my hair til next year

Bat
July 10th, 2020, 01:28 AM
Thanks everyone!! Just now I also managed to do a single French braid!!! I think this is going to be my go-to hairstyle now.
I just love how it gets all my hair out of my face, with my bangs and layers a normal ponytail doesn't do the trick like this does.
My hair gets kind of tangly after a wash, so it could be tidier, but I think with some more sebum and some practice I could get a pretty decent looking one!!! I'm amazed it took me 24 years to learn this but I'm sure glad that I did eventually.

Bat your half pony is so darling!!! Teleport me to you and I will try to braid your hair ;)

Edit: not sure why it flipped my picture, though I suppose it doesn't matter that much so I'm not going to bother trying to fix it right now lol.

Gets teleportation device ready lessgo, I'm waiting

also I swear you are at shoulder now! it's like it was at chin, then I blinked and it's now that

ynne
July 10th, 2020, 03:35 AM
0xalis, both the double braids and single braid look great! I wouldn't have guessed that these are some of your first tries. c:

oldrocker
July 10th, 2020, 06:36 PM

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/418228522142793740/731024958846795808/IMG_0195.jpg

Oxalis, I really wish I didn't have to say this, and not sure how to put it....but....your hair looks to be in awesome condition, shiny, thick, blunt ends.... I'm jealous....that is all.

O.R.

Bat
July 11th, 2020, 12:02 AM
Goes to show not dying your hair is the way to go *puts hands holding purple black dye behind his back**

0xalis
July 11th, 2020, 11:59 PM
Thank you guys so much! You're all too kind :o
Bat, I do agree that my hair is kind of sort of shoulder length, but only really the longest parts in the back are.
I guess I'm just waiting for my sides to catch up a bit before I graduate this thread!
Someone here said somewhere that when your hair has a lot of layers it only really looks as long as the shortest layer.
I think that feels really true for me right now, despite the fact that my longest hairs are about shoulder length I still feel like my hair is basically chin length cuz that's where my bangs are...

In other news I did a conditioner only wash today, and my hair actually looks really good!!!!!
Usually when I cowash my hair turns into a grease ball, which is what I was expecting...
I didn't care because I was just going to braid it, and figured my scalp would appreciate the moisture.
Well my scalp appreciated the moisture, and my hair looks like a Garnier commercial!!!!
The only things I did differently this time was kind of scrubbing my scalp with the conditioner,
And actually using the Garnier because usually I only cowash with VO5, I used both.

The one picture makes my roots look blonde, they're not, that's just how shiny my hair was!!!!
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/418228522142793740/731732879570239518/inCollage_20200711_214257977.jpg

Bat
July 12th, 2020, 12:42 AM
Wow that looks great, so shiny! I really am fighting the urge to shave mine all off and re-growing it virgin but I know what I'm like I'll end up dying it so time to push on and keep growing

0xalis
July 12th, 2020, 05:27 PM
Well I just learned how to dutch braid, apparently it is SO much easier than it looks BUT my hair is still too short for a single dutch braid because layers as you can see here.
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/668563929282117725/732014978974089226/IMG_0321.jpg?width=457&height=609

Bat
July 12th, 2020, 06:36 PM
I'm impressed I can't even do a normal braid z even if I had long enough hair

oldrocker
July 12th, 2020, 06:53 PM
Ditto What Bat said...
O.R.

Iyashikei
July 12th, 2020, 10:38 PM
Thank you guys so much! You're all too kind :o
Bat, I do agree that my hair is kind of sort of shoulder length, but only really the longest parts in the back are.
I guess I'm just waiting for my sides to catch up a bit before I graduate this thread!
Someone here said somewhere that when your hair has a lot of layers it only really looks as long as the shortest layer.
I think that feels really true for me right now, despite the fact that my longest hairs are about shoulder length I still feel like my hair is basically chin length cuz that's where my bangs are...

In other news I did a conditioner only wash today, and my hair actually looks really good!!!!!
Usually when I cowash my hair turns into a grease ball, which is what I was expecting...
I didn't care because I was just going to braid it, and figured my scalp would appreciate the moisture.
Well my scalp appreciated the moisture, and my hair looks like a Garnier commercial!!!!
The only things I did differently this time was kind of scrubbing my scalp with the conditioner,
And actually using the Garnier because usually I only cowash with VO5, I used both.

The one picture makes my roots look blonde, they're not, that's just how shiny my hair was!!!!
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/418228522142793740/731732879570239518/inCollage_20200711_214257977.jpg

Well I just learned how to dutch braid, apparently it is SO much easier than it looks BUT my hair is still too short for a single dutch braid because layers as you can see here.
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/668563929282117725/732014978974089226/IMG_0321.jpg?width=457&height=609

Omg, that shine is to die for! And your dutch braid looks so cute!

0xalis
July 15th, 2020, 09:09 PM
Thanks you guys!!! Unfortunately I probably won't be able to braid as easily anymore, but for good reason. I chopped everything back to chin length and got rid of all my layers!
I had the nicest hairdresser ever and she gave me Exactly what I asked for. I feel so much better, more confident, and excited to keep growing from a better starting point!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/668563929282117725/733153465148244089/unknown.png

Bat
July 15th, 2020, 10:24 PM
Thanks you guys!!! Unfortunately I probably won't be able to braid as easily anymore, but for good reason. I chopped everything back to chin length and got rid of all my layers!
I had the nicest hairdresser ever and she gave me Exactly what I asked for. I feel so much better, more confident, and excited to keep growing from a better starting point!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/668563929282117725/733153465148244089/unknown.png

Oh looks great though! Seems like a good move for you

Iyashikei
July 15th, 2020, 10:31 PM

What Bat said. Really pretty.

0xalis
July 16th, 2020, 09:03 PM
Thank you both :D I am so very happy with it. I couldn't stop checking myself out in the rear view window today (I am the passenger, not the driver, don't worry! ;) )

SelenVinland
July 16th, 2020, 09:52 PM
Excited to graduate to this thread! I've been waffling on whether or not my hair is really chin length, since my hair shrinks up some when it dries, but here's where I'm at now:

https://i.imgur.com/2HLTxiu.jpg

oldrocker
July 16th, 2020, 10:08 PM

Isn't that what keeps us motivated along this journey more than anything? Good for you Oxalis.

O.R.

0xalis
July 16th, 2020, 10:49 PM
Excited to graduate to this thread! I've been waffling on whether or not my hair is really chin length, since my hair shrinks up some when it dries, but here's where I'm at now:

Welcome and congratulations!!! :D Your hair is looking so cute :o

Isn't that what keeps us motivated along this journey more than anything? Good for you Oxalis.

O.R.

Yes indeed it is! I knew I made the right decision... less length but more enjoyment is a wonderful trade off.

Bat
July 17th, 2020, 07:13 AM
I know I'm passed chin but it feels jaw length from the side, when I get to bottom of my neck then I'll officially call it fully chin length but I float between here and super shorties

oldrocker
July 17th, 2020, 03:34 PM
Yes indeed it is! I knew I made the right decision... less length but more enjoyment is a wonderful trade off.

not only more enjoyment...but I'm guessing a more satisfied feeling as well. Down the road, I'll hate to trade length in the back...but I promised myself no more mullet look than is necessary up front. Still a good ways off from that...but....maybe by the new year....which will hopefully be a whole lot better than this year, eh??

(ETA....your hair being all one length reminded me that not since birth have I ever had that uhh....pleasure???)

O.R.

Iyashikei
July 17th, 2020, 10:24 PM

https://i.imgur.com/2HLTxiu.jpg
Congratulations! Unfortunately we're out of welcome cookies but enjoy your stay.

Bat
July 18th, 2020, 06:34 AM
SelenVinland and 0xalis's hair looks so soft and mostly straight, mines one with the fluff and wavyish atm, it might be damage from dying probably, my hair used to be pretty straight, getting older is annoying, hair just isn't the same anymore

SelenVinland
July 18th, 2020, 03:30 PM
I've never bleached my hair because I've always been terrified of frying it off (too many bleach fail youtube videos I guess ;)). I've considered dying it black though...maybe someday. I'm such a chicken when it comes to drastic changes in my hair. Hahaha.

Bat
July 18th, 2020, 05:55 PM
I've never bleached my hair because I've always been terrified of frying it off (too many bleach fail youtube videos I guess ;)). I've considered dying it black though...maybe someday. I'm such a chicken when it comes to drastic changes in my hair. Hahaha.

If you do I suggest just getting a deposit dye artic Fox and manic panic have some nice blacks

0xalis
July 18th, 2020, 08:36 PM
My hair has also been incredibly fluffy lately actually, the pictures I posted were from before I washed it, sebum always straightens it out for me. I feel like I don't know how to get my hair to be wavy without getting also incredibly frizzy.

Every time I wash my hair lately, including co-washing, it feels dried out and frizzy afterward! I had to oil my hair today after a co-wash! Now it looks a bit greasy near the ends so I'm wearing my hair scarf. There's no happy middle ground for me. I think my hair is probably a little bit sun damaged, and perhaps it would like me to try different conditioner? Maybe I need a little bit of protein now??? I have no idea what to do, my hair is so helplessly picky :(

I also second getting a deposit dye if you're going to dye your hair. Arctic Fox works wonderfully on my hair, it ends up feeling super deep conditioned!!

Bat
July 20th, 2020, 03:16 AM
The things you know! I always thought you just had well behaved hair!

0xalis
July 21st, 2020, 02:52 AM
The things you know! I always thought you just had well behaved hair!

Ah, the illusory nature of the internet! I usually only show my good hair days, naturally ;) It still Looks nice when it's frizzy and fluffy, but it Feels dry and unhappy. Oiling definitely helped and now 2 days post wash you can't even tell I put olive oil in it.

Bat
July 21st, 2020, 03:49 AM
Ah, the illusory nature of the internet! I usually only show my good hair days, naturally ;) It still Looks nice when it's frizzy and fluffy, but it Feels dry and unhappy. Oiling definitely helped and now 2 days post wash you can't even tell I put olive oil in it.

I know for sure mines chemical damage, my underlayer of hair feels so soft and not as much frizz as the top part, staying away from bleach or will try too for sure

On a good note I'm officially going to say I have past chin length hair so this topic will be my home for a while, will still keep in super shorties too cause of my side shave xD

Bat
July 21st, 2020, 06:01 PM
I had a dream where my mother gave me a 'trim' and ended up cutting the back too short and I went to work almost crying in the dream then that's all I remember, it felt so real I had to touch my hair to make sure aha,

0xalis
July 21st, 2020, 08:31 PM
Oh no Bat those kinds of nightmares are the worst :( I get lice nightmares relatively often, I get so paranoid I have to check every piece of dandruff I pull out of my hair for the next week!!!

There's a hair dreams and nightmares thread somewhere around here...

meepster
July 21st, 2020, 10:38 PM
Just for the record, how do we define "chin"? If I pull down my bangs in front, the ends just barely reach the bottom of my chin on one side but not on the other (I guess the hairdresser decided to go asymmetrical in my last haircut?) Does that count? At what point do you call the milestone?