PDA

View Full Version : Chin | Shoulder | Collarbone

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

lapis_lazuli
February 18th, 2016, 11:18 PM
Wow, Silverbleed, look at those curls! :agape: And such a vibrant colour. Stunning!!!

Silverbleed
February 19th, 2016, 01:43 AM
I would be very careful doing this with as curly as you are, but beautician schools will do extremely cheap cuts. I had them dust my ends and left for $10 after a $3 tip. If you have a good person for your hair, pay them what they ask, it's worth it. I usually use an amazing person, but he's around $35 after tip. My budget had been destroyed, so had to either go to the students or don't get a trim at all.

I'd even pay 50 if it's worth it!

But so far I have found it difficult to find a stylist that is ok to cut on my terms (not cutting wet, not using certain products etc). I also have to ship my products from the US (I am from the Netherlands, EU) because we don't have sulfate free products here.
I think it may take a while before I have found a good stylist but once I have found one, that stylist will have a client for life hahaha.

And yeah a beautician school is a really good idea as well! Turns out there is one in my very own city! I'll have to check that out sometime :o

Wow, Silverbleed, look at those curls! :agape: And such a vibrant colour. Stunning!!!
Aw thank you so much <3 That's really sweet!

I'm blushing xD

Arctic
February 19th, 2016, 02:18 AM
Wow only 10 dollar? That's really low for a haircut, especially if they do it right. I haven't found anything below 18 in my area. And they all f up still haha.

Thank you! It is actually way more wavy/curly than the picture above because I brushed it out to show the layers.

(This one is before a trim, you can see at the top left the short locks lol. It looks so stupid... curly mullet lol.)
http://i.imgur.com/uhadf9e.jpg

Who can see the haircut when you have thudworthy curls like that! Wow!

khryz
February 19th, 2016, 03:32 AM
I love the golden curls! I can't wait to see how your mane looks like once the other layers catch up. :)

Silverbleed
February 19th, 2016, 04:16 AM
Aw you guys are so sweet. All those compliments! :o

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/52946476.jpg

Omg yeah khryz I'm really excited to see. I can only hope it won't stretch out too much and it will hold the curly. Thankfully my hair is really fine and light on itself, so maybe it will live.

khryz
February 19th, 2016, 04:26 AM
Aw you guys are so sweet. All those compliments! :o

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/52946476.jpg

Omg yeah khryz I'm really excited to see. I can only hope it won't stretch out too much and it will hold the curly. Thankfully my hair is really fine and light on itself, so maybe it will live.

LOL gotta love those memes.

mindwiped
February 19th, 2016, 11:09 AM
Silverbleed, I'd normally pay $50 too, but it was a choice of pay for a bill or cut my hair at the normal price, and I'm not as curly as you. Plus, I'm at BSL, so I can push off cuts longer now. I'm planning to get into my good guy next week and beg forgiveness for letting a student at my hair (he won't be mad at all, but I'll feel guilty, as he saved me after a butchered cut)

And I agree with the general consensus, you have amazing thud worthy hair...I keep imagining it at waist and drooling

Ethelpea
February 21st, 2016, 08:20 AM
Allow me to join you on the journey to shoulder length! *pulls in all kinds of furniture, suspicious boxes, an owl in a cage, piles of books...*

My shortest layers are still at my earlobes but most of my hair is at chin length or beyond. I'll be trimming the back soon to get a neater hemline. After a couple days it will be a year since my buzz cut :)

Welcome, Katrin. I had to trim my hair after a really bad angled lob. It felt so good to get it all to one length.

Ethelpea
February 21st, 2016, 08:21 AM
Wow only 10 dollar? That's really low for a haircut, especially if they do it right. I haven't found anything below 18 in my area. And they all f up still haha.

Thank you! It is actually way more wavy/curly than the picture above because I brushed it out to show the layers.

(This one is before a trim, you can see at the top left the short locks lol. It looks so stupid... curly mullet lol.)

Is this what your hair looks like now, generally? Gorgeous!

Ethelpea
February 21st, 2016, 08:36 AM
I think my hair is growing backward and shrinking. I guess I'm just not used to NOT blow drying which I haven't done in about 3 weeks. My waves really shrink up the hair by about an inch and a half which, at these shorter length, makes a big difference, at least mentally. Stretched, I'm actually below collar bone (the hollowed out part at the neck). Unstretched, I'm barely brushing the very top of the shoulder. I have a very long neck, so I think these first milestones are going to be harder to hit.

How is everyone styling their hair? I know my hair looks unkempt when left to air dry so I'm using my Karina clip, spin pins (I can manage two "buns", one high, one low, not sure of the technical name for that), low ponytails at the gym, and the claw clip in a one twist wonder (again, not sure of the technical name for that). I'm going to raid my oldest two daughters hair stash in a bit and see what I can commandeer ;)

mindwiped
February 21st, 2016, 02:51 PM
I think my hair is growing backward and shrinking. I guess I'm just not used to NOT blow drying which I haven't done in about 3 weeks. My waves really shrink up the hair by about an inch and a half which, at these shorter length, makes a big difference, at least mentally. Stretched, I'm actually below collar bone (the hollowed out part at the neck). Unstretched, I'm barely brushing the very top of the shoulder. I have a very long neck, so I think these first milestones are going to be harder to hit.

How is everyone styling their hair? I know my hair looks unkempt when left to air dry so I'm using my Karina clip, spin pins (I can manage two "buns", one high, one low, not sure of the technical name for that), low ponytails at the gym, and the claw clip in a one twist wonder (again, not sure of the technical name for that). I'm going to raid my oldest two daughters hair stash in a bit and see what I can commandeer ;)

I found out this morning that what I'd thought of as a cinnabun is actually a chingnon-basically you spin it tight enough to be able to coil it neatly

Aka http://m.wikihow.com/Do-a-Chignon-Hair-Style

But with a stick/spin pins

Arctic
February 21st, 2016, 03:03 PM
Chignon to my understanding is just French for "bun".

lapushka
February 21st, 2016, 03:07 PM

I think that might be more than "just" 2b/c hair, this is curly, because you can see the coils, more like 3a.

mindwiped
February 21st, 2016, 03:13 PM

It maybe, it's just fancy bun, where as my bun was self id-ed as a cinnabun

rhosyn_du
February 21st, 2016, 03:51 PM

In my experience, people in the U.S. generally use the word to refer to a low, nape-of-the-neck bun, but not any particular construction of bun.

Dommydomdom
February 22nd, 2016, 03:28 AM
Hi! I'm new to this length (haven't had hair shorter than APL since 2003!)

Been using the same hairdresser since then and I get my hair cut about once a year, usually around my birthday. She is also my mum's and sister's hairdresser and after the last cut we all decided to stop using her when we walked out looking like triplets with layered hair (layers are the worst!)

That cut was in October 2014. No cuts or trims in 2015 - my longest layer was about 2 inches from my waist and my shortest layer was hanging around APL. But, my ends were in a scary condition - split ends for daaaays! Also, in about May of last year, I began a journey towards a beauty detox and started WO washing my hair and using all natural and homemade products for the rest of my beauty routine (highly recommend that everyone try this for at least a few weeks once in your life - it will change everything!)

So for my birthday this year (Feb) my sister bought me a cut at a very fancy, edgy, expensive salon. I told the hairdresser that I wanted to get rid of the layers and the dead ends...which left me with *almost* collar bone length hair with a straight hemline :D

Much, much happier with the condition of my hair! Also, it has made the world of difference to my WO routine...so much easier and quicker to scritch, preen, and wash. And, lastly, I am enjoying this length at the moment because it is a change from my usual layered, longish length and my hair looks completely different - I usually have wavy hair with big corkscrew curl ends, but now it is more like 1b body wave with ends that flick out slightly! But, I am excited to have my long hair back - this time with a thick, straight hemline and healthy ends :)

rhosyn_du
February 22nd, 2016, 12:12 PM
I'm still quit a ways from shoulder dry, especially with how much curl my longer layers get, but I noticed in the shower today that I'm solidly shoulder length while soaking wet.

Ethelpea
February 25th, 2016, 12:40 PM
Much, much happier with the condition of my hair! Also, it has made the world of difference to my WO routine...so much easier and quicker to scritch, preen, and wash. And, lastly, I am enjoying this length at the moment because it is a change from my usual layered, longish length and my hair looks completely different - I usually have wavy hair with big corkscrew curl ends, but now it is more like 1b body wave with ends that flick out slightly! But, I am excited to have my long hair back - this time with a thick, straight hemline and healthy ends :)

That is what I'm looking at now. I will never layer my hair again. One length and blunt seems to suit me.

Ethelpea
February 25th, 2016, 12:41 PM
I'm still quit a ways from shoulder dry, especially with how much curl my longer layers get, but I noticed in the shower today that I'm solidly shoulder length while soaking wet.

Even if it is wet, congratulations!

Ethelpea
February 25th, 2016, 12:44 PM
I just achieved my first proper updo today. Well, maybe not proper. I did the first updo in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JtS9oBpW9w

I didn't tuck my hair in the side, I just split the hair in the middle. I used a cut panty hose strip as a hair tie since my hair breaks if I even look at an elastic. I secured with goody spin pins, two of them.

There are two updoes in this video, both seem to work well for shoulder-collar bone hair.

khryz
February 27th, 2016, 12:18 AM
I just achieved my first proper updo today. Well, maybe not proper. I did the first updo in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JtS9oBpW9w

I didn't tuck my hair in the side, I just split the hair in the middle. I used a cut panty hose strip as a hair tie since my hair breaks if I even look at an elastic. I secured with goody spin pins, two of them.

There are two updoes in this video, both seem to work well for shoulder-collar bone hair.

Thanks for sharing! Keeping the video for when my hair grows longer :D

rhosyn_du
February 27th, 2016, 04:16 PM

Nice! I'm going to keep that bookmarked for when my hair gets long enough.

I can get my hair into double peacock twists now! They're tiny, and they only hold if I use octopus clips, but they keep my hair out of my face and look pretty cute from the front.

Silverbleed
February 28th, 2016, 05:50 AM
Hey everyone, sorry for not responding to your posts. I was on vacation to Spain for the past week. It was great! But gosh the salt in my hair was difficult to deal with, it was very windy and even a simple scarf could fly off easily haha. It was difficult to protect my hair and I hope it didn't get too damaged.

Is this what your hair looks like now, generally? Gorgeous!
Yes when I let it dry naturally this is how it will turn out. Sometimes I have to 'help' some of my curls because they are not all equal as you can see - especially at the bottom. But that is also because I pull my hair out of my neck or scarf so it removes the curl after a while. I'm still getting used to feeling hair in my neck.
It can be much more curly if I help my hair while it dries (plopping for example), but that doesn't feel comfortable.

I think that might be more than "just" 2b/c hair, this is curly, because you can see the coils, more like 3a.
Thank you! I've always been wondering what my hair type would be. My hair seems to be a mix, some strands are like coils, especially my hair at the bottom takes that shape. While my hair at the front are more of a 2c.
Sometimes my hair likes to turn into one big coil (http://i.imgur.com/K6bf7tt.jpg) at the bottom xD

Silverbleed
February 28th, 2016, 06:13 AM

[...]

Yeah when my hair is wet, my bangs (the ones I'm trying to grow this is why I am here, until it finally 'meets' the rest of my hair at the bottom) are 1 inch past my chin, but when dry it's up at nose length ._. So I've got the same thing going on.
I totally understand what you mean by mentally. If only my hair is dry like how it looks like when wet D:

Grats! I'm a little jealous right now, but I'm right behind you :cool:

rhosyn_du
February 28th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Thank you! I've always been wondering what my hair type would be. My hair seems to be a mix, some strands are like coils, especially my hair at the bottom takes that shape. While my hair at the front are more of a 2c.
Sometimes my hair likes to turn into one big coil (http://i.imgur.com/K6bf7tt.jpg) at the bottom xD

My hair starts doing that around shoulder length. Around TBL, I could get some fantastic rope-like coils going on if I left it down. It's a really neat effect. :)

Silverbleed
March 1st, 2016, 11:48 AM
My hair starts doing that around shoulder length. Around TBL, I could get some fantastic rope-like coils going on if I left it down. It's a really neat effect. :)

I'm really looking forward to that length c: I've never really had my hair past my armpits (well, when I was young, but my body was smaller too...) so it's going to be a big surprise what my hair may do once it gets there.

Who knows it will look like crap lol.

Nuala
March 1st, 2016, 01:19 PM
Hi y'all, here is my bi-monthly overview :)

Just after taking the December picture, I had about 1 inch cut from my mullet. I think I'm about back at the length I was pre-cut, and I'm considering having another haircut soon because there's still a bit of mullet left.

Maybe it seems as if my hair is not cut straight at the back, but that's actually because on the right side, it curls inside. :p

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c104/evaatjes/overview%20Feb%202016_zpscxlqmhjh.jpg (http://s26.photobucket.com/user/evaatjes/media/overview%20Feb%202016_zpscxlqmhjh.jpg.html)

Silverbleed
March 3rd, 2016, 06:36 AM
That's very nice progress Nuala! It's growing pretty fast!

leilani
March 5th, 2016, 04:42 AM
I'm getting there. Man the ends flip!

http://s12.postimg.org/syae4evc9/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/syae4evc9/)

http://s12.postimg.org/p0n4f08ix/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/p0n4f08ix/)

SwanFeathers
March 5th, 2016, 02:45 PM
Took forever for the wave to touch shoulder but I'm finally graduating. Might be back here soon though, I'm headed to bootcamp and they will cut it!

khryz
March 6th, 2016, 12:15 AM
@leilani Almost there! And I love your flips!

@SwanFeathers Congrats! We welcome you back anytime, although I wish you don't have to cut it off and grow it out again!

Silverbleed
March 6th, 2016, 06:01 AM
leilani; Great progress! Almost there :cheese: I also really like your haircolor!

SwanFeathers; Oh no! That's kind of sad. There are so many ways to hold back hair :( GL at bootcamp!!

leilani
March 6th, 2016, 01:39 PM
Thanks guys! I'm 20 months into not coloring, and now it's 95% virgin, all the older than July 2014 about cut out, and I'm trying to learn to love the color but I'm not quite there yet. The compliments help give me motivation to try harder to like it! Thanks!!

Silverbleed
March 6th, 2016, 02:27 PM
Soooo I've been thinking, and I would like an honest opinion from all of you.
I am in this topic mainly because of my bangs. They are really annoying to me and I can't wait till they are shoulder length.
I have been cutting off my 'mullet' for many times now and honestly I wished I didn't have to do that anymore.

Should I keep cutting my mullet until it meets my bangs? Or should I just let it grow like this? Because once it's shoulder length it doesn't bother me as much anymore, it may even look pretty good. But that may take another year or so. Maybe less, I don't know my hair did grow very fast at the bottom (it is cut tweice in the past 13 months and it's already back). The hair on top of my scalp grows way slower.

http://i.imgur.com/aoMwUnA.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/cqTkZGf.jpg)

I'm lost :confused:

Ethelpea
March 7th, 2016, 06:04 AM
Beautiful progress Nuala and leilana. You both have very, very pretty color.

Ethelpea
March 7th, 2016, 06:07 AM
Silverbleed, I know it can drive you nuts, but I'd hold off on trimming if you want to get rid of your bangs completely. It looks like if you made your ponytail just a bit higher, everything would fit it. If not, then probably within a few weeks anyway.

Ethelpea
March 7th, 2016, 06:09 AM
Swan Feathers, Congratulations on graduating!

leilani
March 7th, 2016, 06:36 AM
I agree with ethelpea, silverbleed. Just put it up and forget it. If bangs don't go, Bobby pin until they do...

Thanks everyone for the color compliments. I'm struggling to live with my natural color but going to give it five years before judging. It's only been 20 months so far....

Nuala
March 7th, 2016, 08:47 AM
Beautiful progress Nuala and leilana. You both have very, very pretty color.

Thank you Ethelpea! :blossom:

browneyedsusan
March 7th, 2016, 09:07 AM
de-lurking:

@Silverbleed: Put some sort of accent thing in the front: pouf with bobbypins, braid, a couple of twists; something to corral the layers and keep them from bugging you. Caterpillar braids are easy, too. Here's a link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCQJ7aenX1U), for fun. :)

@ leilani: Another vote for your natural color. It's beautiful. :) Still, if you don't love it, that's cool. I don't like mine either. :p Thank heaven for henna! --and adore, and manic panic, and directions.....

*slinks back under a rock*

Silverbleed
March 7th, 2016, 12:19 PM
Thank you for your replies <3 That really helps! I wasn't too sure at one point! But I'll just put it out of my head completely until maybe one day I'll find out it's shoulder length haha. Thanks! :D

@browneyedsusan; Thanks for the link! That looks really cute c: I'll try that some time. I mostly wear something boring, I bobbypin it back or have it in a lame loose knot. I do wear it in a faux side shave once in a while using a braid, which I really like.

lapis_lazuli
March 7th, 2016, 01:05 PM
Silverbleed, I just want to say I love your colour! So pretty :love: I would leave it as it is :)

Ethelpea
March 9th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Anyone want to start inverting with me? I have been neglecting it for the last several weeks and will start up again tonight. I'll be using a castor/jojoba/rosemary/coffee blend. Also, I'm aiming for doing the whole month, not just the one week, as I can't see how daily massage is bad or detrimental for hair growth. I won't be using the oil blend every day, however, probably just every 2-3 days as I have to wash it out afterward.

Silverbleed
March 9th, 2016, 02:12 PM
Silverbleed, I just want to say I love your colour! So pretty :love: I would leave it as it is :)

Aw thanks! I'm not too enthusiastic about my color myself, because it makes me look very pale. I often get the 'you look sick' comments :doh:

@Ethelpea; I also started doing it. I will mostly do it on wash-day or/and the day before but I will always skip the day I just washed my hair as well. This means I should do it again tomorrow.

khryz
March 9th, 2016, 06:08 PM
Anyone want to start inverting with me? I have been neglecting it for the last several weeks and will start up again tonight. I'll be using a castor/jojoba/rosemary/coffee blend. Also, I'm aiming for doing the whole month, not just the one week, as I can't see how daily massage is bad or detrimental for hair growth. I won't be using the oil blend every day, however, probably just every 2-3 days as I have to wash it out afterward.

Count me in!

Nuala
March 11th, 2016, 12:34 PM

I'll join you. I've got a bottle of jojoba oil, and it's worth giving it a try.

chantecler
March 13th, 2016, 07:59 AM
Hello everyone here! I cut my hair from just above waist to just above shoulder a few weeks ago, not intending on growing it out again until next fall, but I've realised that I honestly enjoy the process of growing my hair out, and now that I can start fresh and with no dammage, I am eager to do just that!

Silverbleed
March 13th, 2016, 10:56 AM
Welcome, chantecler! c: Out of curiosity, why did you cut off your hair?

chantecler
March 13th, 2016, 11:01 AM
It was getting really dammaged, parts that had been through years of bad treatment were annoyingly fragile, and after an opera where I had to use rollers that kept getting stuck for three practices and four representations, I was just fed up and couldn't deal with all the breakage. I love long hair and don't think it's any trouble, its even LESS trouble, but I just get way too obsessed with splits. I have to learn to relax a little, but hopefully it'll be better now that I know how to care for it from the beginning.

Silverbleed
March 13th, 2016, 11:11 AM
I get your obsession with split ends. I had this horribly somewhere around Christmas. I just cut off my old bleached hair and I was so scared I had to cut off healthy hair, it became an obsession to check for split ends. Thankfully I'm past that haha.

Also I can imagine how long hair can be less trouble. I never really had that long hair, the longest it's ever been was APL when I was young. The length it's at now, I can't do anything. The layers make it extra bad, Only half fits in a ponytail. I can't braid it, because it all falls out. When loose, I am constantly eating my own hair. I've been wearing my hair in a ponytail for the past 15 years now. I can't wait till I finally get to enjoy braids, buns and pretty hair accessories!

But an opera you say? :o Tell me more!

chantecler
March 13th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Haha, yeah, I've been missing the buns really, and at least I didn't get any layers, I spent a year of growth to cut them out last time, and I am NOT doing that again :p
Yeah, I was in a small production of Mozart's cosi fan tutte, in chorus. It's not much, and the chorus wasn't paid because it's very low budget, but they set it in the 20's, so I got to experiment with pretty cool hairdos, and to have a flapper costume made for me! I just wish I had known how to handle long hair in rollers before that, or that I had gotten better metal rollers, instead of cheap foam ones.

Silverbleed
March 13th, 2016, 12:11 PM
That sounds really cool actually c: It's funny because that time short hair got really popular, and there you were with your long hair haha

chantecler
March 13th, 2016, 03:51 PM
At the same time, a lot of women kept their long hair and they made really cool finger waves and low flat wide buns with tight curls. Which means I had a lot of fun styling my hair!

khryz
March 14th, 2016, 05:51 AM
Haha, yeah, I've been missing the buns really, and at least I didn't get any layers, I spent a year of growth to cut them out last time, and I am NOT doing that again :p
Yeah, I was in a small production of Mozart's cosi fan tutte, in chorus. It's not much, and the chorus wasn't paid because it's very low budget, but they set it in the 20's, so I got to experiment with pretty cool hairdos, and to have a flapper costume made for me! I just wish I had known how to handle long hair in rollers before that, or that I had gotten better metal rollers, instead of cheap foam ones.

That sounds very cool!

One of the reasons I wanted to grow my hair out again is because I miss being able to use hair sticks to hold a bun up. I had APL about 8 years ago before I chopped it off to a really short bob (made me look like I was wearing a helmet).

And welcome to the club ;)

Silverbleed
March 14th, 2016, 06:44 AM
It's funny because I'm completely new to hairsticks and such. When I joined this forum, I fell in love ;o How did I not know of this thing?

Then I went to Spain for a week. And there I saw a few pretty sticks in a Spanish store. But I bought the cheapest one with the idea of 'just to try it out in case I may not like it'. I regret not buying more in the end, they were awfully cheap for a wooden hand crafted stick (2 bucks, not kidding). But I didn't know! D: I didn't knoooooow D: They had stunning sticks with these pearl like things (https://36.media.tumblr.com/896db3c964c3dee6c27746669e469f97/tumblr_nvu5ofweps1u2vxnpo1_500.jpg) in there, I don't know what it's called.

The stick turned into a 'one day I can wear this' goal xD With my bangs not being long enough, it won't hold yet.

http://i.imgur.com/LxROZCn.jpg

khryz
March 14th, 2016, 07:27 AM
It's funny because I'm completely new to hairsticks and such. When I joined this forum, I fell in love ;o How did I not know of this thing?

Then I went to Spain for a week. And there I saw a few pretty sticks in a Spanish store. But I bought the cheapest one with the idea of 'just to try it out in case I may not like it'. I regret not buying more in the end, they were awfully cheap for a wooden hand crafted stick (2 bucks, not kidding). But I didn't know! D: I didn't knoooooow D: They had stunning sticks with these pearl like things (https://36.media.tumblr.com/896db3c964c3dee6c27746669e469f97/tumblr_nvu5ofweps1u2vxnpo1_500.jpg) in there, I don't know what it's called.

The stick turned into a 'one day I can wear this' goal xD With my bangs not being long enough, it won't hold yet.

That's a very nice hair stick! I have a few hair sticks that I bought when I had shoulder length hair, which are now my "goal" sticks. And hello there kitty!

Caraid♫
March 14th, 2016, 07:41 AM

At least you were smart enough to snag at least one! That's very pretty! Hair toys are great motivation- I can't wait to wear all of mine properly again! (I can kind of do twist thingies with my forks but no buns for a while I'm sure...)
Cute kitty! :D

Ethelpea
March 14th, 2016, 12:39 PM
Silverbleed - what a great find! I might (**might** be visiting Spain in a year and a half or so, so I'll keep an eye for those!

Welcome Caraid. Your profile picture looks just about as long as my hair is.

How is everyone doing? I'm just chugging along, trying not to think about my hair too often. I'm keeping myself busy with spring cleaning - with six kids and a teeny, tiny house, this is going to take at least 2 weeks.

rhosyn_du
March 14th, 2016, 12:46 PM
I'm at the point where I'm almost at shoulder, so I've become a bit obsessive about checking my length. When my hair is wet, it's solidly shoulder in back and brushing shoulder on the sides, so wash day as become this routine of glancing in every mirror I pass as my hair dries. "Is it still shoulder? Ooh, it is. Maybe today will be the day it's finally shoulder length dry!" But of course my curls sproing back up at the end once they finish drying. I know it's silly, since I probably have another month or two until I hit shoulder length with curls, but I still can't resist checking. :laugh:

Ethelpea
March 14th, 2016, 01:37 PM
I'm at the point where I'm almost at shoulder, so I've become a bit obsessive about checking my length. When my hair is wet, it's solidly shoulder in back and brushing shoulder on the sides, so wash day as become this routine of glancing in every mirror I pass as my hair dries. "Is it still shoulder? Ooh, it is. Maybe today will be the day it's finally shoulder length dry!" But of course my curls sproing back up at the end once they finish drying. I know it's silly, since I probably have another month or two until I hit shoulder length with curls, but I still can't resist checking. :laugh:

Resistance is futile. I blow dry my hair once a week on Saturday when my husband and I go out to dinner. My hair, though wavy, blow dries very straight with just the right amount of bounce. I love how my hair looks blown dry. Anyway....I am amazed how much longer it is with all the wave gone. I have to figure out how to post pictures one day. Suppose I need a proper camera first as my kindle doesn't take very good pictures.

Silverbleed
March 14th, 2016, 02:47 PM
At least you were smart enough to snag at least one! That's very pretty! Hair toys are great motivation- I can't wait to wear all of mine properly again! (I can kind of do twist thingies with my forks but no buns for a while I'm sure...)
Cute kitty! :D

Yeah I think the hair toys can really represent what I'm going for. I find it easier to get to any goal when I make it visual in any way.

Silverbleed - what a great find! I might (**might** be visiting Spain in a year and a half or so, so I'll keep an eye for those!

Welcome Caraid. Your profile picture looks just about as long as my hair is.

How is everyone doing? I'm just chugging along, trying not to think about my hair too often. I'm keeping myself busy with spring cleaning - with six kids and a teeny, tiny house, this is going to take at least 2 weeks.
I found it in this adorable little town called Gaucín, nearby Malaga in Soutern Spain. It looked like a souvenir shop with all kinds of adorable things, but not your typical shop. Tbh it all looked very unique. I also got a pair of handmade coconut wood earrings for 1 euro. A steal!!!! If I knew all of this, I would have left more room in my bag and saved up some money because she had wonderful things. As do many more shops tbh. If only we had those in the Netherlands. It's all very commercial here.

I'm busy with college. Trying to work with programs I have no experience with lol. I have no clue how After Effects works but I'm getting there...!

Haha I finally got past that obsessive feeling with my bangs xD I'm sure it'll be back when I'll finally reach my shoulders too.
It's great you're so close tho c:

chantecler
March 14th, 2016, 05:05 PM
I have quite a few hairsticks and a couple hair forks that I'm eager to use again some day, especially since my brother made me some of these! And we have a lathe at home now, so I need to learn how to make really nice sticks for when I have longer hair :p

Silverbleed
March 15th, 2016, 08:16 AM
Ugh so jealous! I know how to make them but I don't have the tools ;_; I've been asking around for tool like a Dremel but I guess I should save up for one. Quite difficult since I don't have a job currently XD

Dommydomdom
March 16th, 2016, 03:40 AM
Made it to shoulder without even realizing!!! On my way to APL :) good luck everyone!!!! Happy growing :toast:

Silverbleed
March 16th, 2016, 06:18 AM
Oh my, congrats!

leilani
March 16th, 2016, 07:38 AM
Awesome! Congratulations!

chantecler
March 16th, 2016, 02:50 PM
That's good news! Good luck to reach your next milestone!

rhosyn_du
March 16th, 2016, 05:45 PM
Congrats! :D

Dommydomdom
March 17th, 2016, 07:56 AM
Thanks everyone :D hopefully see you there soon!

khryz
March 18th, 2016, 02:22 AM
Congrats Dommydomdom! Hopefull I'll see you there in a few months!

Silverbleed
March 29th, 2016, 04:49 PM
My bangs are finally chin length when I don't pull it. Gosh, this makes me so happy. It already looks much better. I'm so glad when it dries and it curls inwards right in my face, I won't have hair in my eyes or in my mouth xD
When I pull it, it's about 22,5 centimeter from my scalp. Before January it was at 19,5, barely 20 centimeter. So that's good c:

Grow hair, grow :hollie:

leilani
March 30th, 2016, 12:28 PM
I can do a French braid!
http://s12.postimg.org/n4u6btcl5/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/n4u6btcl5/)

Silverbleed
March 30th, 2016, 12:33 PM
Whoo! I'm so jelly. It looks gorgeous!

Maybe you could hide the little bit at the bottom under your hair.

leilani
March 30th, 2016, 12:45 PM
Great idea! I am kind of lazy with bobby pins but if I ever leave the house, definitely! I'm just heading to bed so didn't think about finishing touches! :)

Silverbleed
March 30th, 2016, 12:56 PM
It's a great hairstyle to sleep with c: I'm using tiny braids but they look hilarious rofl. My bangs keep pinching out.

leilani
March 31st, 2016, 12:25 AM
Braid waves in the morning. Kinda.

Almost shoulder!

http://s18.postimg.org/ndyibgwut/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ndyibgwut/)

http://s18.postimg.org/r91we1g0l/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/r91we1g0l/)

Silverbleed
March 31st, 2016, 04:52 AM
Oh no you'll be leaving soon too! I'm gonna end up all alone here shudder:

TheGray
March 31st, 2016, 03:21 PM
I was nearing 2-3 inches away from shoulder after about 9 months of growing out a pixie, but got a trim to even out the layers so I'm back to just under chin :/ Thankfully now that the top layers have grown it looks longer, even though my actual length has been set back about 3 months.

leilani
April 1st, 2016, 01:17 AM
Silverbleed I think you are at APL honestly, just with bangs growing out (mine are max one inch longer than your bangs) so don't be jealous of me leaving this thread in awhile!

khryz
April 1st, 2016, 03:27 AM
@leilani Your hair color is beautiful! Good idea to give up dye :) And I hate to see you go so soon... But will see you on the other side ;)

Silverbleed
April 1st, 2016, 03:28 AM
I was nearing 2-3 inches away from shoulder after about 9 months of growing out a pixie, but got a trim to even out the layers so I'm back to just under chin :/ Thankfully now that the top layers have grown it looks longer, even though my actual length has been set back about 3 months.
Is your picture a recent one after the cut? Because I like how it looks c:

Silverbleed I think you are at APL honestly, just with bangs growing out (mine are max one inch longer than your bangs) so don't be jealous of me leaving this thread in awhile!

You're right! I'm not at APL yet tho but I'm close. So I shouldn't complain since I only half belong here XD

khryz
April 1st, 2016, 06:23 AM
You're right! I'm not at APL yet tho but I'm close. So I shouldn't complain since I only half belong here XD

Half or not, we still love to have you here :D

hufflepug
April 1st, 2016, 07:15 PM
My hair on January 1 2016:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20697&d=1451684817
And my hair on April 1 2016:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22280&d=1459559500

I think I might be at shoulder? it's hard to tell, my curls seem to sit differently every day.

Silverbleed
April 2nd, 2016, 06:16 AM
Looks shoulder length to me, absolutely!! If you would move your hair, can you feel it brushing over your shoulders? xD

rhosyn_du
April 2nd, 2016, 11:54 PM
I just too my monthly length shot. It's so close to shoulder, you guys! It does brush my shoulders if I slouch. Maybe I should just slouch all the time. :lol:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22289&d=1459661787

khryz
April 4th, 2016, 02:13 AM
@hufflepug I call this shoulder! Saw your pics in the "growing out hair dye" thread. The demarcation line is seamless :)

@rhosyn_du you're almost there!

Centaurée
April 5th, 2016, 05:45 AM
Hello, here I am! First of all, you guys have such good hair ! It's so pretty and makes me happier with my length :o
I kind of want to give myself a proper bobcut to start fresh but I don't really know how so... well.

This was my hair a month ago, it's alll faded and looks a bit weird but I don't have money to re-dye it at the moment :(
http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/37576812823296102089701426795853253993389337039469 o.jpg

Silverbleed
April 5th, 2016, 08:27 AM
Welcome, Centaurée! :flower:
Ah blue hair, that's pretty cool c: I've never had blue myself. I did have pink and purple in the past tho xD
What are your plans for the future with your hair?

khryz
April 5th, 2016, 08:50 AM
@Centaurée It's very nice! And a color that I've wanted to try, but never really got the guts to. I think you should just grow it out. I thought of the same a couple of months back, and cut my shoulder length back to a chin-length bob. I regret it :(

Here's my progress so far. I'm about 1-2 inches away from sweeping my shoulders! Which also means I can gather all my hair up in a ponytail.

(Please excuse the brownish streaks. Apparently 1 tube of Pravana (Magenta) wasn't enough for my length and thickness!)

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t654/borderlinepink/April%20hair_zpsv7ewf0ar.jpg

Silverbleed
April 5th, 2016, 08:55 AM
@khryz; what a great progress ;o That's like... I don't know more than 5 cm at least! Your hair is growing fast!

Centaurée
April 5th, 2016, 09:36 AM
Welcome, Centaurée! :flower:
Ah blue hair, that's pretty cool c: I've never had blue myself. I did have pink and purple in the past tho xD
What are your plans for the future with your hair?

Keep the blue ! And grow to waist length. I'm patient and my hair grows rather fast, so I just have to take really good care of it. I have olaplex at home too :)
I'm currently at like 22 cm or 24 and I want to grow to 94 cm

@khryz OOooh too late I cut a bit of hair!! not so much though. Your hair is impressive, Magenta is a nice colour :)

Silverbleed
April 8th, 2016, 01:19 PM
Here was I thinking my hair - especially my bangs - were not growing at all. But when I was scrolling through my photo's, I realized it grown quite a lot...!

This photo (http://i.imgur.com/4OAJd5D.jpg) was taken on the 20th of February.
Today it's at this length (http://i.imgur.com/bE697ou.jpg). Pulled sideways like above I also measured it, and it would have grown at least 3 centimeter if not more.

What a relief! I've been thinking for all of March nothing was happening! Lol :cheer: Shoulders, I got you in my sight!

Centaurée
April 8th, 2016, 03:07 PM
Congrats on the growth @Silverbleed
Also: wow you're gorgeous !

Silverbleed
April 8th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Aww, thank you c:

leilani
April 9th, 2016, 04:48 AM
Getting a more secure French braid by the day!

http://s30.postimg.org/3zd62s8wt/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/3zd62s8wt/)

Caraid♫
April 10th, 2016, 11:29 AM
leilani, I'm impressed, I can not get a french braid to look good like that at this length! beautiful :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22486&d=1460309061
So the hair at the front is about shoulder length but it'll take a while for the hair at the back to catch up. I'm sure this angled cut is going to look super awkward growing out! I want to let it grow out some more before trimming to even things out though

khryz
April 11th, 2016, 08:56 PM
leilani I love your hair color even more when it's braided!

Caraid My style is also angled from the bob. I'm planning to even out the hemline when I reach my collar bone. Hang in there if you will!

My hair is finally at neck-length, an inch or 2 from brushing my shoulders. The bob is also now poofy. Usually when I reach this length I'd go to the saloon to have it trimmed if I'm lucky, and chopped if I'm not. But not this time!

Silverbleed
April 12th, 2016, 07:13 AM
@Caraid♫; I remember growing out a haircut exactly like that! It wasn't too bad actually, but I do remember cutting it when it reached collarbone just like khryz! That was the point it started looking kinda weird.

Andthetalltrees
April 12th, 2016, 07:32 PM
Hey everyone, I'm new :o .

Right now my hair is a mess, The shortest part(grown out bangs) is just shy of chin length and the longest in the back is solid mid-neck, With the sides just passing chin. Let's just say I cut it myself and it shows. But my hair tends to naturally grow in a sharp V even if I trim, Hopefully it'll look more even shoulder+, I'm just trying to let it be and let it grow without worrying. My hair tends to grow a bit above normal and I'm eating lots of healthy foods that my hair seems to like, It's all good I'll be shoulder before I know it.

Caraid♫
April 12th, 2016, 07:50 PM
leilani I love your hair color even more when it's braided!

Caraid My style is also angled from the bob. I'm planning to even out the hemline when I reach my collar bone. Hang in there if you will!

My hair is finally at neck-length, an inch or 2 from brushing my shoulders. The bob is also now poofy. Usually when I reach this length I'd go to the saloon to have it trimmed if I'm lucky, and chopped if I'm not. But not this time!

@Caraid♫; I remember growing out a haircut exactly like that! It wasn't too bad actually, but I do remember cutting it when it reached collarbone just like khryz! That was the point it started looking kinda weird.
thanks for the encouragement! collarbone sounds like it would be a good time to even it out :) If I do it now, it would probably be too soon and look super weird since I don't have layers or anything (I'm afraid it might look a bit like a bowl cut!!)

Silverbleed
April 13th, 2016, 06:02 AM
Hey everyone, I'm new :o .

Right now my hair is a mess, The shortest part(grown out bangs) is just shy of chin length and the longest in the back is solid mid-neck, With the sides just passing chin. Let's just say I cut it myself and it shows. But my hair tends to naturally grow in a sharp V even if I trim, Hopefully it'll look more even shoulder+, I'm just trying to let it be and let it grow without worrying. My hair tends to grow a bit above normal and I'm eating lots of healthy foods that my hair seems to like, It's all good I'll be shoulder before I know it.

Welcome to LHC! And welcome to the awkward stages of growing your hair haha.

Andthetalltrees
April 13th, 2016, 06:17 PM
Welcome to LHC! And welcome to the awkward stages of growing your hair haha.

Thank you, Haha. I find that I like cheek/chin length, and shoulder is okay. But neck just looks awkward on me because it looks uneven and it always seems extra floofy :| . Getting past neck length takes FOREVER as well, I'm only 5'1.5 and the rest of my milestones are relatively short and close together, but I have a weirdly long neck so it has to be like 20-21" for FULL shoulder :confused:

Andthetalltrees
April 13th, 2016, 06:26 PM
I meant to say, "not even full shoulder', Collarbone/full shoulder is closer to 22"(Then Apl is 24, BSL 26 and waist 29..)

Silverbleed
April 14th, 2016, 12:41 AM
Thank you, Haha. I find that I like cheek/chin length, and shoulder is okay. But neck just looks awkward on me because it looks uneven and it always seems extra floofy :| . Getting past neck length takes FOREVER as well, I'm only 5'1.5 and the rest of my milestones are relatively short and close together, but I have a weirdly long neck so it has to be like 20-21" for FULL shoulder :confused:

I have quite the opposite, I also have normal neck but I am 5'10 haha.
Growing to my shoulder also feels long, probably because it's my first milestone as well :hmm:
Cheek/chin length is absolutely horrible for me, as my curly hair curls inwards, right in my face. I got finally past my chin so it's not poking out my eyes, tickling my nose or getting in my mouth anymore lol.

Silverbleed
April 20th, 2016, 11:27 AM
My hair is slowly becoming less wurly. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Maybe I should be more careful to protect the wurls but at the same time it's so easy to just comb through once in a while and put it in a bun.
It may also be a change of my hair in general, as I have noticed the bottom of my hair is still very curly but my new hair is quite straight.

leilani
April 23rd, 2016, 08:34 AM
My double Dutch braids are a mess but secure!
http://s31.postimg.org/nowzu90xz/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/nowzu90xz/)

http://s31.postimg.org/dqc17rrif/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/dqc17rrif/)

lapushka
April 23rd, 2016, 04:01 PM
Aren't you past shoulder yet, leilani? :D Certainly looks like it!

leilani
April 24th, 2016, 01:38 AM
Not quite! The hair kind of brushes shoulders almost sorta. But no not solidly shoulder. My bangs are just chin!

Silverbleed
April 28th, 2016, 02:51 PM
It's so super confusing. My bangs are still hanging just over chin length, but in the back I have a few hairs that are reaching armpit length. The heck is this?? It was barely collarbone two months ago. (I only care about my bangs, but that doesn't seem to go very fast ;_; ..)

leilani
May 10th, 2016, 04:44 AM
I think I'm at shoulder, even though the back is shorter. Even now after sleeping on it wet and it drying all poufy and flippy, it still brushes the tops of my shoulders. I bet a flat iron would make it look much longer.
I don't know if I should call it or trim to even if up. I do have layers but they are largely invisible and with my thickness, maybe a blessing as I grow?

http://s32.postimg.org/y1fa8cu6p/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/y1fa8cu6p/)

http://s32.postimg.org/iejfh8r0x/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/iejfh8r0x/)

http://s32.postimg.org/rihuhoslt/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/rihuhoslt/)

yvsa
May 11th, 2016, 03:36 AM
My layers were driving me nuts and after a lot of consideration i left the no trimming for a year thread and trimmed back to chin lenght (my hair was almost shoulder). It looks so much better now. So shoulder length here i come:)(again).

wispywinnie
May 12th, 2016, 06:11 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new and joining here!
I recently had a haircut that's all one length, sitting about an inch or an inch and a half above my shoulders. I really really can't stand it. BUT, I figured joining this would give me a lot of motivation and some great ideas on how to start really growing long, healthy hair. :)

callahanwade
May 18th, 2016, 09:31 PM
I really can't wait until I can do updos. My hair is long enough to pull into a low ponytail (almost shoulder-length!) so I can do a gibson tuck or a low peacock twist, but I get a long of strands falling out. I recently cut my own bangs and have fallen in love with the way my hair looks in updos (I used to hate updos when I didn't have bangs), but my hair is just not long enough yet to wear many.

leilani
May 19th, 2016, 12:04 AM
Suddenly my hair looks a bit longer than it did just two weeks ago, I'm definitely shoulder length and even my canopy reaches my shoulder when stretched (those were layered very short and I had guessed them to be chin length). Yay! I'm firmly in the next category!

See ya ll there!

Blissful337
June 6th, 2016, 07:08 AM
Leilani I love your braids!! I am the worst at doing things with my hair. It's usually just worn down. My hair is currently between chin and shoulder with too many layers. My shortest layer is at chin length and my longest is to my shoulders. Right now I have a goal to get to BSL. I think my hair is a 1c but will know better once it gets longer. I haven't decided if I will let my layers grow or eventually cut to one length. I wish I could post pics but I'm too new to add pics to posts.

Callahan wade I used to have bangs and felt the same way as you. I thought my hair looked great with bangs and updos but when I don't have bangs I think my hair looks better down. My bangs have finally grown out to chin length.

I feel so impatient about waiting to grow my hair out. This is going to be a long process!! lol

Blissful337
June 6th, 2016, 07:09 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new and joining here!
I recently had a haircut that's all one length, sitting about an inch or an inch and a half above my shoulders. I really really can't stand it. BUT, I figured joining this would give me a lot of motivation and some great ideas on how to start really growing long, healthy hair. :)

I'm new too. Also looking for motivation! See my previous post on my current length and goal length.

Andthetalltrees
June 15th, 2016, 04:32 PM
I'm jealous of people who can do hairstyles at chin to apl length. My hair can barely do double dutch braids at CBL(usually don't stay long) and I can't do any updos, Even gibson tucks and peacock twists until solid BSL very close to waist even. The curse of super thick hair I suppose

My hair is trucking along well. Overall it has grown around 1 to 1.5 inches since April. The sides are catching up with the back, Looks almost tolerable now and my bang pieces can now be tucked behind my ear and stay without a pin(But I still pin them most days because half up's are my go-to hairstyle)

Silverbleed
June 16th, 2016, 04:23 AM
Yeah I'm in a similar. For months I couldn't do anything except a ponytail. But not even a bun. Right now I can finally do an ugly braid (looks weird with all that hair sticking out) so at least I can have a protective style overnight.
In my case it's because of badly cut layers. If I didn't have those layers I could do any hairstyle because my hair is very fine.

I have around 5 cm left till my top layer hits my shoulder. It's hitting 25cm right now which is wonderful. Too bad it curls up a little but at least I'm happy to see the progress. I'm happy with my overall length, but that layer is annoying me with every hairstyle.

Andthetalltrees
June 21st, 2016, 03:48 PM
My hair just had a growth spurt out of the blue(I usually get them in winter) and in barely a few weeks I've grown maybe an 1/2 inch or so to . The very back of my hair is shy an inch of brushing shoulder and the sides are solidly stuck in mid-neck abyss. Which is about 18" to 15" in inches.

alimc
June 27th, 2016, 03:16 PM
Im at 'too long to be pixie, too short to be long'. and my ends are curling up in search of sunlight, so instead of getting longer my hair is just getting crazier... I could be in this thread for quite a while.... Hi everyone! *waving*

timeschild
June 27th, 2016, 03:22 PM
Just nearly at SL in the back the front is chin lenght if you can see my profile pic So hi y'all nice to meet people havng the same problem I am

Andthetalltrees
June 27th, 2016, 03:50 PM
Just nearly at SL in the back the front is chin lenght if you can see my profile pic So hi y'all nice to meet people havng the same problem I am
Welcome! Uneven hair cuts are incredibly annoying at this stage. I can relate because my hair varies from chin to almost-barely shoulder as well. But once things start moving down your back it looks better, I promise, I've grown out a couple uneven haircuts(On purpose and not).

timeschild
June 27th, 2016, 04:10 PM
Course that's when i streighten my hair. When it's all natural it is I have no clue to be honest it's super wavy

Andthetalltrees
July 1st, 2016, 02:31 PM
The very back of my hair I can feel brushing my shoulders now, I wish the sides would hurry their selves up and get there now. They have maybe 1-2 inches at most left so I still have a good few months to wait on them, But I'm getting really tired of neck length at this point. My projection of shoulder at the end of the year looks to be rather true at this point.
On the bright side the longest part of my hair should be closer to APL by the time the sides catch up?

Pamberpestana
August 2nd, 2016, 10:16 AM
Hello! I have 2b ish hair that is also just brushing my shoulders in the back, but is chin length on the sides, and I have layers the shortest being eye level. I grew out bleach and then chopped a little early for my taste haha.

Anyhow, if theres anyone with similar hair, how do you put it up if at all? I just pin my bangs back, also have you started doing oil soaks?

For anyone, what's your routine like?
I have nothing solid or consistent right now but am looking into some no poo methods, but I'm afraid it will be harder (appearance wise) with shorter hair.

I'm glad this thread is here!

Katrin
August 7th, 2016, 02:34 AM
Summer is a terrible time to grow neck-length hair :( My back sections are stuck a little above shoulder level and my sides are still in the no man's land between chin and shoulders. I'm so ready for autumn...

Pamberpestana
August 14th, 2016, 02:38 PM
I agree!! The hairs that touch my neck get sweaty and stick to me and then they dry and are crunchy haha

H o n є y ❤
August 14th, 2016, 03:59 PM
Summer is a terrible time to grow neck-length hair :( My back sections are stuck a little above shoulder level and my sides are still in the no man's land between chin and shoulders. I'm so ready for autumn...
Don't worry. Autumn's almost here!

Ciscley
September 6th, 2016, 10:49 PM
Ditto. I just entered the it's even obvious to men and children that this isn't on purpose hair length.

Sapeli
September 6th, 2016, 11:22 PM
Any good ideas to refresh hair after night's sleep as hair can't be put up? My hair is chin length and quite a long journey ahead.

I try to strech WO washes. I have used hair tonic in the morning and lifted hair with horn comb. Hair might look a little greasy and in that case some powder may work. I would like to learn from your habits.

mindwiped
September 7th, 2016, 08:15 AM
There are the dry shampoos, they help with the greasy feeling, but for my hair they were too volumizing. If you've got lighter hair corn starch, or talcom powder; if you've got darker hair I've heard of using cocoa powder. The people I've heard that were happiest would put it in their hair a become and shake/comb/brush out the excess in the morning. Personally, my hair could handle stretching my washes further, but when I tried, I started having scalp issues, so my hair never looks too greasy, since I'm washing about twice a week.

Silverbleed
September 7th, 2016, 03:30 PM
Okay officially I don't belong here anymore but... my shortest layer did for several months. It finally hit shoulder! I'm SO happy! I hate my layers :'D This is a huge milestone because I know things will only get better for me. No more eating hair, or having it fly in my eyes or nose. When it flies in the wind, it actually goes around my chin but I don't have it stuck in my mouth anymore.

So I'm officially really gone now :'D

Sapeli
September 8th, 2016, 01:08 PM
Congrats for the goodbye! :toast::beerchug:

Katrin
September 13th, 2016, 05:30 AM
Okay officially I don't belong here anymore but... my shortest layer did for several months. It finally hit shoulder! I'm SO happy! I hate my layers :'D This is a huge milestone because I know things will only get better for me. No more eating hair, or having it fly in my eyes or nose. When it flies in the wind, it actually goes around my chin but I don't have it stuck in my mouth anymore.

So I'm officially really gone now :'D

Congrats on reaching the milestone, Silverbleed!

To report on my slow progress, I have finally ponytailed my back sections. The front pieces reach exactly to the elastic so I still need to pin them separately. I'm not a big fan of ponytails so I tried to avoid them for as long as I could. However, right now I'm just grateful that I can tie my hair up and go instead of it getting caught up in my collar all the time. Maybe I'm not used to having longer hair and that's why it's bugging me so much. I've spent most of my life with short hair.

Anyhow, I'll keep ponytailing at least until it grows a bit more :)

mariaanam
September 16th, 2016, 10:24 AM
hello.i m new here.i m growing out a short a-line bob which is chin length in front and a bit shorter at back and its not graduated.before that i had waist length hair but i got a really bad layered hair cut.layers were so choppy that my thick wavy texture could not handle the volume.so i cut my hair where the first layer started.
my hair become more wavy when i get them layered or when they are long.at chin length i have almost straight hair.
i m also growing my fringe out from 5 months.i had baby bangs and now they have reached at the level of lower lip when stretched.
at this time my goal is to grow 3 inches to have a long bob which touches collar bone at front and is 1.5 inch shorter at back.my hair grows at an average speed of 0.5 to 0.75 inch per month bt my neck is not long so i m hoping to reach this length by january.
my other goal is to grow my bangs out to the length of my hair but i think its gonna take atleast 10 months.
i am not planning on long hair at this moment.they are so thick,they used to give me headaches when they were tailbone length 2 years back.i will only keep them at BSL if i ever grow them out.
sometimes i think bad haircut was a blessing in disguise otherwise i would never have cut my hair this short.

lapushka
September 17th, 2016, 04:14 AM
hello.i m new here.i m growing out a short a-line bob which is chin length in front and a bit shorter at back and its not graduated.before that i had waist length hair but i got a really bad layered hair cut.layers were so choppy that my thick wavy texture could not handle the volume.so i cut my hair where the first layer started.
my hair become more wavy when i get them layered or when they are long.at chin length i have almost straight hair.
i m also growing my fringe out from 5 months.i had baby bangs and now they have reached at the level of lower lip when stretched.
at this time my goal is to grow 3 inches to have a long bob which touches collar bone at front and is 1.5 inch shorter at back.my hair grows at an average speed of 0.5 to 0.75 inch per month bt my neck is not long so i m hoping to reach this length by january.
my other goal is to grow my bangs out to the length of my hair but i think its gonna take atleast 10 months.
i am not planning on long hair at this moment.they are so thick,they used to give me headaches when they were tailbone length 2 years back.i will only keep them at BSL if i ever grow them out.
sometimes i think bad haircut was a blessing in disguise otherwise i would never have cut my hair this short.

Welcome to the site, and the thread. :flower:

Elfa
September 18th, 2016, 10:15 AM
Hello, newbie here!
My hair is actually past CBL but as my main goal right now is to remove the layers, I'll rather follow the shortest parts so I don't get sad about loosing length on the back :p
This is where I am now:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24660&d=1474214166

lapushka
September 20th, 2016, 07:38 AM
Hello, newbie here!
My hair is actually past CBL but as my main goal right now is to remove the layers, I'll rather follow the shortest parts so I don't get sad about loosing length on the back :p
This is where I am now:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24660&d=1474214166

That is a gorgeous color on you! :D

OhSuzi
September 20th, 2016, 10:02 AM
Bonjour! I think this may be the place for me - I did join the super shorties as I have a sort of asymmetric pixie a la Frankie from the Saturdays one side is shaved & cropped and the longer side is sort of chin length. Shoulder Length is my first goal, then onwards & downwards to the booblings - then who knows...!

mariaanam
October 2nd, 2016, 04:01 AM
my hair is growing at snail's speed :(

Sapeli
October 2nd, 2016, 06:14 AM
my hair is growing at snail's speed :(
Same here! My hair is a little wavy and it feels like no growth in last 3 months. :rolleyes:
But yeah, it has grown a bit. I hope my patience grows at the same speed.

alimc
October 3rd, 2016, 01:29 PM
This stage does seem to take FOREVER! *staring at hair willing it to grow* :eye:

Rose115
October 3rd, 2016, 04:25 PM
I am almost to shoulder length after over 6 months of waiting!! I can do a short, simple braid or a halo braid, a ponytail, and a dinky Gibson tuck. I'm not quite sure what my goal length is - I guess it'll be when I start to love my hair again. There is something about longer hair that makes me feel very feminine and I like that. I understand that length is different for every lady, and I'm not sure where it is for me. Styling right now for me is limited to leaving it down, making sure it is untangled, and trying to keep my bangs trimmed to frame my face. This seems to be the hardest stretch when growing hair out, but I'm happy to see so many braving it with me!!

OhSuzi
October 3rd, 2016, 04:35 PM
It will get there eventually!
I haven't checked the hair science, but Im pretty sure it never goes backwards. Generally even if it's slow, there's only one direction it can go - it can only grow and keep on growing whether your thinking about it or not.

Rose115
October 3rd, 2016, 05:07 PM
It will get there eventually!
I haven't checked the hair science, but Im pretty sure it never goes backwards. Generally even if it's slow, there's only one direction it can go - it can only grow and keep on growing whether your thinking about it or not.

This is very comforting.

cassandraj
October 10th, 2016, 01:39 AM
I'm new here...but thought I'd check in, since this is the thread for me!

I recently chopped my hair off (it was at APL, but the ends were pretty damaged, wouldn't take color, and were a sickly brassy blonde...my natural color is dark brown), and its just an inch or so longer than chin. I also colored to return to a more natural color.

Anyways! Right now, I'm struggling with postpartum hair loss (had my baby just under 10 weeks ago!), my eczema has been flaring up (my flareups happen around my hairline, among other places) and then I also switched to CO washing.

So...hi! :D

alimc
October 10th, 2016, 01:45 AM

I recently chopped my hair off (it was at APL, but the ends were pretty damaged, wouldn't take color, and were a sickly brassy blonde...my natural color is dark brown), and its just an inch or so longer than chin. I also colored to return to a more natural color.

Anyways! Right now, I'm struggling with postpartum hair loss (had my baby just under 10 weeks ago!), my eczema has been flaring up (my flareups happen around my hairline, among other places) and then I also switched to CO washing.

Hi!! Come away in *opens door*
Congratulations on having a baby! Hormone changes mess everything up huh?! But your body will hopefully calm down soon... :D
Anyhoo, happy and healthy growing.... :o

Catronesse
October 10th, 2016, 10:06 AM
Hello! I'm new here as well and I think this is where I fit. My hair is currently just shy of hitting shoulder length, though if I had to classify it I'd say it's about an inch or two from hitting. Drat! I'm growing out some red that I haphazardly covered with brown as well as some bangs that I'm not quite sure if I want to keep. My hair is honestly a mess right now. It's taking everything in me not to just chop it off. It's pretty soft and thicker than I think it's ever been, but that darn red just will not quit! Also, my underlayers are shorter than my canopy, so even though my canopy can go into a pony I have a fistful of hair that just hangs down and is too short to even bobby pin. That's what I get for cutting it myself.

I'm in it for the long haul, ladies. I just cannot be allowed around scissors for the time being.

alimc
October 10th, 2016, 02:47 PM
I'm in it for the long haul, ladies. I just cannot be allowed around scissors for the time being.

I too have to stay well away from scissors! :p
Welcome to the forum..... :beerchug:

lapushka
October 10th, 2016, 03:46 PM

I hope CO washing works out for you. Should you notice more shedding *after* switching to CO, that means your scalp can't tolerate conditioner on it (or maybe even oils) and a switch back to shampoo (maybe sulfate-free) is needed in that case. Just keep an eye on it. No need to be alarmist but I thought I'd mention it, since you'd been suffering lots of hair loss as is. :flower:

Catronesse
October 11th, 2016, 06:15 AM
I am almost to shoulder length after over 6 months of waiting!! I can do a short, simple braid or a halo braid, a ponytail, and a dinky Gibson tuck.

Good for you, Rose! That's so exciting! I'm inching closer, though the shorter layers near the nape of my neck are driving me nutty. I'm struggling with wanting to chop the upper layers to meet it, which means a 1/2-1" loss in "length." Nooooo! I think I might just try to ride it out and even it up a bit later, though the shorter layers make updos impossible (not really, but I'm super dramatic).

cassandraj
October 11th, 2016, 06:56 PM
Thank you! & yes...hormones mess eeeeverything up!

LynnaMaroo
October 17th, 2016, 12:45 PM
New here also! Current situation mid neck. Also in Postpartum hair phase. It seems to be hanging in there. Oh course, A month ago I cut it and it was at my shoulders. It was an unfortunate hair cut experience and I was like that's it! I'm growing out my hair! Longest it's been was shoulder blades?? But I would like to see if I can manage Butt/tail bone length. I already started using oils and natural shampoo and conditioner. I'll already noticed a huge difference. I feel like starting this LH growing journey as a "shorty" hopefully means my hair when it's super long will be a majority of healthy conditioned hair, I hope. My hair is very very baby find, but I was like told a fair amount of it. Neck to Shoulders ....and beyond!!!!

Eastbound&Down
October 18th, 2016, 04:15 PM
After a disaster over the summer (my hair was caught on fire, I had to cut from waist back to a bob) I'm finally back at it. No scissors except to reshape when necessary. It took me a little over 2 years last time, so here's to fast growth and healthy hair! happy growing!

cassandraj
October 19th, 2016, 08:51 PM
....can't wait for this postpartum shedding is done....damn hormones 😑

alimc
October 25th, 2016, 02:48 PM
....can't wait for this postpartum shedding is done....damn hormones ��

Aw man. Hope it sorts itself out soon.... did you notice your hair shed less/was thicker during preg? I never had much change either way.

Eastbound&Down
November 4th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Anyone on here have any cute styles for formal events? I haven't had it this short in a couple years and I have a ball to go to in a few weeks.

Silverbleed
November 4th, 2016, 12:53 PM
Anyone on here have any cute styles for formal events? I haven't had it this short in a couple years and I have a ball to go to in a few weeks.

I have some hairstyles saved still, back when I was growing out my short hair.

I've loved using hairstyles like these (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/27/a5/af/27a5af0dae0fdd37edac1356a0005307.jpg). I also like; [x] (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/59/7f/7e/597f7e538cfcc6152652909a7bb5e69e.jpg) [x] (http://i0.wp.com/therighthairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/1-half-up-braided-blonde-bob.jpg?w=500) Btw I also found this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-8UPFAWfrk) a long time back.
And I love how a simple hair clip can look in any length; [x] (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/b6/32/14/b63214be16796cd78e81431ed4f893a2.jpg) [x] (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/0f/c3/37/0fc3375ac30abf8afea097713cbb0a00.jpg) [x] (http://www.hairworldmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/star-clip.jpg)

It's all fairly simple still but I like simple xD

Eastbound&Down
November 4th, 2016, 01:22 PM
I have some hairstyles saved still, back when I was growing out my short hair.

I've loved using hairstyles like these (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/27/a5/af/27a5af0dae0fdd37edac1356a0005307.jpg). I also like; [x] (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/59/7f/7e/597f7e538cfcc6152652909a7bb5e69e.jpg) [x] (http://i0.wp.com/therighthairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/1-half-up-braided-blonde-bob.jpg?w=500) Btw I also found this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-8UPFAWfrk) a long time back.
And I love how a simple hair clip can look in any length; [x] (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/b6/32/14/b63214be16796cd78e81431ed4f893a2.jpg) [x] (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/0f/c3/37/0fc3375ac30abf8afea097713cbb0a00.jpg) [x] (http://www.hairworldmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/star-clip.jpg)

It's all fairly simple still but I like simple xD
Thank you for posting! Those first 2 are exactly my length right now and my hair is naturally pretty wavy so I can pull that off :)

Silverbleed
November 4th, 2016, 01:28 PM
You're welcome! Maybe post a picture once the day is here? c: I'm super curious how it'll turn out.

Eastbound&Down
November 4th, 2016, 01:33 PM
You're welcome! Maybe post a picture once the day is here? c: I'm super curious how it'll turn out.

Yeah for sure! I haven't really taken any hair pics since I had to cut it because I am still so upset about having to lose it. BUT I'm trying to do what I can to enjoy it where it is.

cassandraj
November 4th, 2016, 04:03 PM
Aw man. Hope it sorts itself out soon.... did you notice your hair shed less/was thicker during preg? I never had much change either way.

Yes, my hair always gets thicker in pregnancy...but I'm shedding so much more this time around (baby #2)

OhSuzi
November 14th, 2016, 08:48 AM
So fellow chin to shoulder people, how long do you estimate you have to go?

I am in the growing out asymmetric buzz cut pixie stage. One side is about top of cheek bone the other is between my chin and my neck.
I am reckoning 4 / 5 months til short side is beyond chin and the other side is comfortably tickling my shoulders so Feb Mar 2017. Then I can relax about it all - stick it up in a pony out the way and let it keep on growing however long it takes.

I'll be checking in then to see if I've reached my goal!

Eastbound&Down
November 14th, 2016, 09:40 AM
So fellow chin to shoulder people, how long do estimate you have to go?
I am in the growing out asymmetric buzz cut pixie stage. One side is about top of cheek bone the other is between my chin and my neck.
I am reckoning 4 / 5 months til short side is beyond chin and the other side is comfortably tickling my shoulders so Feb Mar 2017. Then I can relax about it all - stick it up in a pony out the way and let it keep on growing however long it takes.

Well it took me 2 years to get from chin to waist, so 3-5 months to get to shoulder? Depending on growth rate and hair health I'd say that's a fair assessment. Happy growing!

alimc
November 14th, 2016, 11:19 AM
So fellow chin to shoulder people, how long do you estimate you have to go?

I'm still hovering above shoulder, feels like I've been here forever, but I did only get my hair pixied in January so that's probably standard growth?? I reckon I'll be at shoulder by 2017. Fingers crossed firmly!!! :D

Well it took me 2 years to get from chin to waist, so 3-5 months to get to shoulder? Depending on growth rate and hair health I'd say that's a fair assessment. Happy growing!

Wows!! 2 years to waist, that's really impressive! Any speed tips would be gratefully received.... :cheer:

Eastbound&Down
November 14th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Wows!! 2 years to waist, that's really impressive! Any speed tips would be gratefully received.... :cheer:

Haha!
Step 1: Don't cut it. I know that seems self explanatory, but it's harder than it seems, especially from SL-APL for me.
Step 2: As soon as you can, put it up and do your best to forget about it.
Step 3: Find a routine (this includes diet, exercise and wash/DT/maintenance) you like and stick with it for as long as it keeps working. Too much experimenting can actually set you back.

There is no "speed tips" unfortunately. Be good to your body and hair and hopefully it'll be good to you.

Here's my routine if you are interested:
-Wash with HE Hello Hydration 2x a week (Wednesday & Saturday)
-On Saturdays (before wash) I do my DT: 1/2 tbsp JBCO, 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, 10 drops sweet almond oil applied with a dye application brush to my roots, about an inch. Massage into scalp and run down length to distribute then cover with a beanie for anywhere -from 4-8 hours depending on when I apply. Wash out using CWC with HE HH.
-I do not blow dry ever, I don't even own a hair dryer. I do occasionally straighten but only until it is long enough to pull back.
-Try not to focus on it so hard, you know the old saying "a watched pot never boils"? It applies to hair too I've found out.

alimc
November 15th, 2016, 01:11 AM
Haha!
Step 1: Don't cut it. I know that seems self explanatory, but it's harder than it seems, especially from SL-APL for me.
Step 2: As soon as you can, put it up and do your best to forget about it.
Step 3: Find a routine (this includes diet, exercise and wash/DT/maintenance) you like and stick with it for as long as it keeps working. Too much experimenting can actually set you back.

There is no "speed tips" unfortunately. Be good to your body and hair and hopefully it'll be good to you.

Here's my routine if you are interested:
-Wash with HE Hello Hydration 2x a week (Wednesday & Saturday)
-On Saturdays (before wash) I do my DT: 1/2 tbsp JBCO, 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, 10 drops sweet almond oil applied with a dye application brush to my roots, about an inch. Massage into scalp and run down length to distribute then cover with a beanie for anywhere -from 4-8 hours depending on when I apply. Wash out using CWC with HE HH.
-I do not blow dry ever, I don't even own a hair dryer. I do occasionally straighten but only until it is long enough to pull back.
-Try not to focus on it so hard, you know the old saying "a watched pot never boils"? It applies to hair too I've found out.

Thank you! I haven't cut it since January and don't plan to.. :o

Yeah, I realise there's no short cut to long (no pun intended :eyebrows:). It's just frustrating on my part as if I hadn't gotten 'bored' and hacked back to pixie AGAIN there's a high chance I'd now be at waist length...

HOWEVER. I did. And there are obviously reasons I do this, possibly my life frustrations being taken out on my hair. I'm just hoping next time I get the urge, having progress pics in my profile will remind me how much I don't like myself with short hair!!

:disco:

Cryptlesbian
November 15th, 2016, 02:01 AM
"A watched pot never boils" is definitely true in my case.

I lost a lot of hair due to sickness and I've been trying to grow it back for about 2 years. Now it's finally growing! But it seemed the second it hit chin-length, it'd stop. I'm dyeing my greys today and notice it's grown halfway down! I'm so happy!!! :D :D :D This is the longest it's been in 3 years! :D

Eastbound&Down
November 16th, 2016, 11:17 AM
I am actually enjoying my hair this length, although I am excited about growing it back out. I have about an inch left until shoulder, but I will probably wait to call it until about 2 inches to be positive. I am already dreading the journey from SL-APL, I think my hair looks awful at that length. I wish I could dye it a fun color to try and enjoy it more.

Arctic
November 20th, 2016, 05:44 AM
I saw a youtube channel that might interest you guys. She has a long-ish bob length (not yet shoulder length on some videos, and just brushing shoulder on others, and even a bit longer on others) hair and does lovely hair styles (her hair is pretty thick, I mention the thickness because some of them are not something I, for example could have done/do and look same as her with my thinner hair). I only watched a few so I can't say if she ever uses heat or lot of products, but even if she would maybe you can still get inspiration and adapt the styles to be more hair friendly.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHx_gmuui7iY5GZe_WEyc-Kj5oCuUxa4U

Melisandre
November 20th, 2016, 07:10 AM
Milabu is amazing! I'm still at in between jaw and chin so I'm not supposed to even be in this thread yet :p but I can't wait to join you guys and try out Milabu's hairstyles ♥

Yes, she uses heat, mostly curling irons and wands to add texture. Other products I've seen her use are hairspray, dry shampoo and some sort of wax or cream :)

Eastbound&Down
November 23rd, 2016, 11:29 AM
I'm really enjoying my hair this length this time around. Last time I was this short it wasn't in a great shape as now and I was so anxious to have it grow that I didn't enjoy playing with it. I'm even considering maintaining around shoulder for a little bit while I grow out my dye.

Silverbleed
November 24th, 2016, 08:10 AM
Milabu is amazing! I'm still at in between jaw and chin so I'm not supposed to even be in this thread yet :p but I can't wait to join you guys and try out Milabu's hairstyles ♥

Yes, she uses heat, mostly curling irons and wands to add texture. Other products I've seen her use are hairspray, dry shampoo and some sort of wax or cream :)

I'm not supposed to be here either but that doesn't stop me from taking a peek :cool:
And it's a nice thing to look forward to! I kinda wished I knew her channel when I was at the same length, it could have made things much more fun c:

inpatient
December 6th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Hey fellow chin to shoulder length-ers?

I'm new to this community and don't have a lot of experience, but I'm looking for some advice with my hair.

Some weeks ago I shaved the back of my head (a lot too, about half of my whole head) and the rest of my hair is almost reaching my shoulders. Now I'm trying to grow it out and I don't know what to do with it. I always have it up (I use sooo many bobby pins) in a ponytail, but soon that buzzed off hair will grow into a weird awkward length and the ponytail won't work anymore. Wearing my hair down also isn't an option, because I shaved so much of my head that the hair on top can't cover it. I need some ideas on how to wear it while I'm growing out the back.

Arctic
December 6th, 2016, 03:12 PM
Hey fellow chin to shoulder length-ers?

I'm new to this community and don't have a lot of experience, but I'm looking for some advice with my hair.

Some weeks ago I shaved the back of my head (a lot too, about half of my whole head) and the rest of my hair is almost reaching my shoulders. Now I'm trying to grow it out and I don't know what to do with it. I always have it up (I use sooo many bobby pins) in a ponytail, but soon that buzzed off hair will grow into a weird awkward length and the ponytail won't work anymore. Wearing my hair down also isn't an option, because I shaved so much of my head that the hair on top can't cover it. I need some ideas on how to wear it while I'm growing out the back.

How about pinup/Rosie the riveter type bandanna? The first one on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGLNgpMMj90

MegHan-Solo
December 7th, 2016, 07:10 AM
Hello! I'm new here but this this the thread I belong in for now. I recently cut a lot of my damaged bleached ends off to just below chin length. Unfortunately even though I asked her not to, the hairdresser decided to put in some layers and make the bob slightly inverted. It is now a nightmare to put up! I can't wait until I can tie it back and forget about it.

Eastbound&Down
December 8th, 2016, 09:34 AM
I am finally able to get my hair back into a very short ponytail style for work. I'll be shoulder in maybe another month?

inpatient
December 12th, 2016, 08:10 AM
How about pinup/Rosie the riveter type bandanna? The first one on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGLNgpMMj90

Omg thank you so much! This style is literally perfect!! Probably my next go to! XD

alimc
December 20th, 2016, 02:04 PM
Hi! :hifive:

Just wanted to check in on how everyone was doing now we're nearing the back end of the year..... exciting!!!

I'm at the annoying stage where my hair is 'doing the flip so it doesnt look shoulder' length.
Ha, who am i kidding, i think i've been frustrated by every growing out stage thus far....

Anyhoo, hope you are all well..... and a very merry christmas from blustry scotland! :beerchug:

Pixiebella
December 21st, 2016, 01:59 PM
My hair is not growing fast at all. It's kind of depressing actually. Plus it's shedding tons. I bleached my hair several times, dyed it, etc etc etc. I think my poor scalp just finally went on strike. It's grown about 1/2" since the big chop on 11/11 (I think that was the date anyway. It was around there and 11/11 is memorable so I'm sticking with it ;) ). I guess a half inch in one month isn't too bad, but it seems like everyone around here is growing so much faster.

The good news is that it does seem like it's a lot healthier now. I can brush it without it breaking off too badly. Yay!

Seija
December 21st, 2016, 11:40 PM
I feel like my hair growth is so much more noticeable at this stage. I've never had hair this length until this past year and I'm glad it's going by quickly because it looks like a whole lot of not good on me. I'm just going to pretend the seemingly fast growth is from the biotin I've been taking

Arctic
December 24th, 2016, 02:35 PM
My hair is not growing fast at all. It's kind of depressing actually. Plus it's shedding tons. I bleached my hair several times, dyed it, etc etc etc. I think my poor scalp just finally went on strike. It's grown about 1/2" since the big chop on 11/11 (I think that was the date anyway. It was around there and 11/11 is memorable so I'm sticking with it ;) ). I guess a half inch in one month isn't too bad, but it seems like everyone around here is growing so much faster.

The good news is that it does seem like it's a lot healthier now. I can brush it without it breaking off too badly. Yay!

Half an inch a month is perfectly normal, in fact it's an avarage. Your hair's doing great job creating all those new cells!

MegHan-Solo
January 8th, 2017, 04:22 PM
https://m.youtube.com/Milabu09 I just found this girl's YouTube channel and oh my! The updos she does for shorter hair, this is going to help me get through this stage a lot more easily. I won't be doing the ones involving curlers or backcombing but still... Thought I'd share with you guys in case any of you are like me and struggle with many bad hair days at this length and want to stay away from the heat!

Doctor_Donna
January 31st, 2017, 02:46 AM
Hi, guys! I'm currently around chin length with a cut that resembles bob, but I still have a few layers at the nape of my neck that are longer and stick out. The big question is: shall I cut it all straight, leaving no layers and lose a couple of month worth of growth, or leave it?

Loribelle
January 31st, 2017, 09:12 AM
https://m.youtube.com/Milabu09 I just found this girl's YouTube channel and oh my! The updos she does for shorter hair, this is going to help me get through this stage a lot more easily. I won't be doing the ones involving curlers or backcombing but still... Thought I'd share with you guys in case any of you are like me and struggle with many bad hair days at this length and want to stay away from the heat!

Oooooohhhh...thanksforsharing!!!:D

cnadiav
February 3rd, 2017, 08:05 AM
I am still reading through this topic, I have just posted my introduction post but I figured I might as well introduce me here as well. After 11 years of exeperimenting with short I really want to grow it out again, I am now halfway between chin and shoulder length. I like braiding it, especially for work. I braid a lot with ribbons or lace and can't wait till all my hair will fit in a ponytail, or till I am able to make a decent bun :)

Bluecardigan
February 14th, 2017, 01:42 PM
It seems like my hair has decided to take a temporary pause from growing for some time now, just about 2,5-3 cm above my shoulders. But oh well, I am slowly getting there! :)

_fred_
February 26th, 2017, 06:30 AM
Hi, guys! I'm currently around chin length with a cut that resembles bob, but I still have a few layers at the nape of my neck that are longer and stick out. The big question is: shall I cut it all straight, leaving no layers and lose a couple of month worth of growth, or leave it?

I think it comes down to whether you're happy with your hair having those longer layers that stick out. If they annoy you or aren't what you want to see when you look in the mirror, could be worth sacrificing that growth to get it all to one length. That said, the slightly longer bits could be quite fun to style in the short term. I've had mine shoulder length with layers in, and the flick was kinda fun - provided it behaved!

Thank you so much for posting the link! I never learnt anything but an English braid as a kid, and now in my mid 30s I've finally learnt how to do a French plait and a Dutch plait thanks to this.

Also, hi everyone! I'm hopping onto this thread because my hair's just below chin length. I'm not sure if I can post pics as a newbie, but I'm going to try... This is a photo my hairdresser took yesterday (mods, if this doesn't work, I'm very sorry!):

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/loMC6ih9HRiKyV7lkNs6hjWalx0QGvl8LHc4gR13oASq0sDqgY Yku2rJrDNcVOekVKHcpd6yFh1vUUJg4Uo5le88M6MNUZDHB_0X MM-OhDL21mkqcL2tGOpjHtTKME6kPIm4zbGFvlK4o9thO9wuVQTxY RRs19-fmAdgieVgKp7y4HCBCZPX7TU3TOxyj4vQC5BNkbGNOoK5u1V98 WzEJjfAvuVzukgTs6qu71KnRbTsnZT2BqNeWpTroi5UoU1AZM6 CL93_qG1z6s4JEimhFbNDK3FwE6ebFJWZoP2lFRpunqAGZ4shs D5JsIPiC7KSDnNA_M5Kf6Vx1ZNBtlQa2MNH7IhrXh_ZRfSHhzQ Mhxt2oeldH-GU4-4PKVtfpcdtD1kj8RPHHdwGtD5Fa17yfcDVjD1LLyTUWVab565-8ZWqVAQXg3zi0KLXZccrfSsk7bTRWvTV-IUSQXWMoC5j3sA984RLElny2AAkxxwjvXM-UrJaRoT9KMLmx92aXVMGl2C1N9LDp57iPCTWN5x6TrTsq6zP3e a6Vs1CiFJITAzHTTmEh70c9V-hj_MaKkL9DLnqDryRfk2rjCCN87dJgAvX28AwDtX1u6DpEWD_m _GX4zHiMLZwZprlMzHFdlNjfP1N3AVmr8tvXp20cGo_Abwn17D 4qhQ-URP7BwyLww=w457-h609-no

My last haircut before yesterday's trim was back in October, when I had it bobbed at jaw length. While my stylist has magic fingers, I sadly don't have the skills to make it look this nice at home, but it'll be easier once it has some length to it. In terms of colour, I do that myself. The top's bleached out with Live XXX OOA with a gloss of very diluted (diluted with conditioner, and mostly washed out!) Directions Apricot and Directions Flamingo Pink, and the underneath is a Live Pure Purple base with a mixture of direct dyes on top. I love playing with the colour, but I have a feeling I'll stick with a variation on this for a while. That said, I really do fancy having a fire ombre again one day...

The length is even, btw, I just couldn't keep my head still when she was taking pics. Too excited about how it looked!

Anyway, onwards to shoulder length!

Waterlilly21
March 22nd, 2017, 04:55 PM
I can't figure out if I belong in this thread or in the super shorties one. The front is halfway down my face but the mullet part is halfway down the back of my neck between my chin and shoulders (growing out pixie since the summer).

paulownia
March 23rd, 2017, 12:55 AM
I can't figure out if I belong in this thread or in the super shorties one. The front is halfway down my face but the mullet part is halfway down the back of my neck between my chin and shoulders (growing out pixie since the summer).
Well, we are in the same boat :) I had a pixie last year and my hair is still in this triangle-shape with the longest part sweeping my neck, sides reaching the chin and front parts
(ex-bangs) falling in my eyes. As I would like to have all the hair of same length in the future, it will take some time before it all grows out. I trim once every three months, and hope it will eventually all even out.

H o n є y ❤
March 23rd, 2017, 07:44 AM
It feels I've been stuck a chin forever. When will I make it to shoulder!?

browneyedsusan
March 23rd, 2017, 08:01 AM
@H o n e y: You'll get there. Curlies have a harder go of it, but you're well aware of that, aren't you? ;)

@_fred_ : Fantastic color! Have you checked out this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125938)? I think these are your people.

@MegHan_solo: Awesome link! I wish I would have had that in my arsenal when I was growing. My hair is SO slippy!

- Lizzy -
March 23rd, 2017, 08:16 AM
I remember this stage. I feel like it took about a year or something to grow out (But it felt like ages) The one thing I remember about this time is I never felt like it was growing although look back at picture I see now it was growing a lot. Best of luck and enjoy this short hair while you have it! I miss that length because it was super cute and great to shake around :cheese: Each stage definatly brings new challenges and things to love :heartbeat

paulownia
March 25th, 2017, 04:46 AM
I remember this stage. I feel like it took about a year or something to grow out (But it felt like ages) The one thing I remember about this time is I never felt like it was growing although look back at picture I see now it was growing a lot. Best of luck and enjoy this short hair while you have it! I miss that length because it was super cute and great to shake around :cheese: Each stage definatly brings new challenges and things to love :heartbeat
Well that is the most difficult stage for me, my waves were layered and now it's all growing out and it looks like a hot mess most of the time :) many times I couldn't stand it and was thinking about cutting it shorter again. But this time I won't ! :)

H o n є y ❤
March 25th, 2017, 09:05 AM
browneyedsusan Yes, I'm very well aware!! Lol I will hang in there.

- Lizzy - Thanks for your input! I'll keep those things in mind. It hasn't even been a year yet so let me be more patient. I'm pretty patient about 95% of the time but I do have these periods of time where I'm not patient at all. It's just when I see other people who have already grown out their hair after cutting it short. It makes me a little anxious lol.

Melisandre
March 25th, 2017, 10:54 AM
I finally belong here! What a nice feeling to be able to say that! :D

After about six years I got tired of the henna red that was my hair colour. Even though it really suited me and it made my hair absolutely gorgeous, I just wanted a change.

After several failed attempts to stop dying and grow my natural haircolour out, I finally opted for cutting the henna out.
I got a short pixie in January '16.

The first cut didn't remove all the henna and after two more cuts the henna was officially gone. That was April 16, and from that moment I'm growing the pixie.

And here I am. At chin. A little less than a year than I thought it would take me to grow to chin. On to shoulders it is!

Rosamaria
March 25th, 2017, 11:39 AM
browneyedsusan you are an inspiration and I want to thank you for putting your hair-growth photos in your profile albums. I am growing out my hair from a short hair cut for the umpteenth time and this time I am determined to make it to WL (never got it longer than BL). Your photos are so helpful as we have very similar hair and I can tell from looking at them roughly how my hair will look at different lengths. They also show me that if I persevere, my hair will look great in the end - I just have to tough out the awkward lengths and be patient. So thanks again!

_fred_
March 25th, 2017, 12:31 PM
@_fred_ : Fantastic color! Have you checked out this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125938)? I think these are your people.

Thank you :D And yep, I have! So many amazing and inspirational people. I've not posted any photos there yet though - I want to get some better ones after it's grown a bit and when the colour's fresh.

Talking of inspirational, your growth is amazing - I always think that whenever I see the pics in your signature.

The Maple Leaf
March 26th, 2017, 01:05 AM
I noticed that at the beginning of this thread, low pigtails were mentioned as an option for styling a chin-length bob. Just my two cents, but I think that's a great idea. Internet celebrity Lindsay Ellis (she reviews films and makes videos discussing film theory) had a show called "The Nostalgia Chick" from 2008 to 2014, during which she wore her hair in pigtails in most videos as part of the "Nostalgia Chick" persona. During that time, the length of her hair varied quite a bit, the longest being bra strap or even mid-back length and the shortest being chin length (she cut her hair like that in early 2010). Here is her "Titanic" review of that time, the first where she has the short pigtails: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM-o3MV6ZxI - This is a good look IMO. Note the bow-shaped barrette at the nape of her neck when she turns her head (I assume she used it to pin up strands in the back that wouldn't fit into the pigtails) and the classy side-swept bang.

In this review ("Showgirls II"), you can see how she looked with the bob down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKwMnjNCRy8

For comparison, here is a later review ("The Christmas Shoes) where she has long, high pigtails: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-IGvOqFQxA

EliseMarie
March 26th, 2017, 06:01 AM
I finally belong here! What a nice feeling to be able to say that! :D

After about six years I got tired of the henna red that was my hair colour. Even though it really suited me and it made my hair absolutely gorgeous, I just wanted a change.

After several failed attempts to stop dying and grow my natural haircolour out, I finally opted for cutting the henna out.
I got a short pixie in January '16.

The first cut didn't remove all the henna and after two more cuts the henna was officially gone. That was April 16, and from that moment I'm growing the pixie.

And here I am. At chin. A little less than a year than I thought it would take me to grow to chin. On to shoulders it is!

Congratulations! It is looking really nice. I think I am almost at chin---seems like a major milestone after pixie doesn't it?

yvsa
March 28th, 2017, 08:00 AM
I went to the hairdresser and had my layers trimmed out. This puts me back to above shoulder length but i'm happy with it. I hope i can wear my hair more straight now because the layers made my wave come out but not in a good way. Maybe when it's at goal length i'll cut them back in. I can still wear a tiny ponytail so i'm good for summer:).
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26719&d=1490709138

Razzles
May 2nd, 2017, 02:59 PM
Hi guys, I just came over from the super shorties thread. I've been away for a while, but I'm now about halfway between chin and shoulder. Woop!

spidermom
May 2nd, 2017, 09:54 PM
Thought I'd drop in and say hi! I love shoulder length so much right now that I think I'll be keeping it for a good long while. I can do so much with it - leave it natural, straighten it by blow-drying, curl it with hot rollers or pin curls, re-direct it with the flat iron when it goes wonky, and even put it up in a couple of different ways.

_fred_
May 3rd, 2017, 01:22 AM
I went to the hairdresser and had my layers trimmed out. This puts me back to above shoulder length but i'm happy with it. I hope i can wear my hair more straight now because the layers made my wave come out but not in a good way. Maybe when it's at goal length i'll cut them back in. I can still wear a tiny ponytail so i'm good for summer:).
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26719&d=1490709138

Aside from the colour, yours looks just like mine right now! I've also reached tiny ponytail stage, and it's so good to be able to get it easily out of the way.

OhSuzi
May 3rd, 2017, 04:08 AM
Congratulations Razzles!
It's been 9 months & I think its safe to call it & say I have graduated from super shorty to chin / shoulder length too.
Because of the grown out layers & curls some of it (Mainly the mullety bit) is already shoulder, but some of its only just reached chin.
3 more months growth and then I am going to risk the hairdresser to even up all the layers hopefully I'll end up with something mid neck.....
So then I can carry on growing out with a bit more style!

I have used this hairdresser before and he actually is amazing & trust worthy & always listens.
For some stupid reason, the last time I had my haircut after 6 months growth, I had an appointment with a random lady instead (same salon) who didn't listen to my bob request and chopped my hair back into a pixie that was prob shorter than the original.
If I end up with a pixie this time something is clearly terribly wrong with that!

I have been taking (very poor quality - not a natural photogrpher) pics of my hair progress at some point when I've worked out how I'll post them on here. I know there's legal reasons for it & stuff, but my gosh it is a struggle for a computer illiterate person to get pics on here. I wish we could just cut n paste! that much I understand.

Bluecardigan
May 3rd, 2017, 04:51 AM
Hi! I'm proud to say that I finally have reached shoulder lenght. :) Feels great! But I feel that I totally rocked my "kind of Zlatan/mini-man bun" hairstyle that I had last summer as well. :')

_fred_
May 7th, 2017, 03:28 AM
Hi! I'm proud to say that I finally have reached shoulder lenght. :) Feels great! But I feel that I totally rocked my "kind of Zlatan/mini-man bun" hairstyle that I had last summer as well. :')

Congratulations! :DDDD

Question for everyone - at what point do you call shoulder?

rustycotton
May 8th, 2017, 04:48 AM
HEY! I apparently totally imagined a chin/shoulder to APL thread, or maybe just misread the title of the shoulder-to-APL thread. Then imagine my disappointment when I realized there was no chin to shoulder thread. WELL THERE IS ONE NOW.

I just hit chin-length (1.5 years after shaving my head bald, with trims), and I want a thread to post about watching that hemline creep down my neck, and I suspect others do, too!

What updos can you manage, if any? And how do you do them? What is your final goal length? How do you style hair that is not that short, yet still definitely not long?

Hey I have just around mid neck length but I also have a undercut which is very short now for the summer. I have only really pony tail my hair your a crap bun as so much of it is shaved.

Corvana
May 17th, 2017, 08:20 PM
Hello! I'll also post in here, as while the main bit of my hair is shoulder length, I have a section starting from right behind my ears to the front of my hair that is at the longest mid-neck and shortest jaw length! I'm growing out a mohawk, so the top and back have been quite long for a while, but every time a section from the sides would hit shoulder I'd trim to even it out! I suppose I could've left it, but the difference caused the top portions of my hair to sort of fluff out? It was very strange and my hair looked very thin and terrible when I'd put it up.

I stopped shaving the sides in around April or May of 2016, but to be honest it may have even been later than that. I never wrote it down or anything, and I'm rarely fond of having my picture taken. It had certainly been bare minimum 3 months of not shaving the sides by Christmas, though!

I think my hair grows less in the summer, probably due to it being 12,000F here in Texas. But I've never really measured it so who knows! It does seem to grow rather fast in general, but it feels really slow right now.

I just did some measurements, and due to the weird layers I'm measuring from the center of my head and down the side.

13" for the main length, 11" for my 2nd shortest layer, and 9.5" for my shortest! I just cut to my 3rd shortest layer on May 27th, but I didn't do any measuring then.

_fred_
May 25th, 2017, 12:31 AM
Hi, Corvana! I hope you can get the shorter layers caught up to the rest soon :)

OK, time I actually posted something. Been feeling really frustrated lately with my hair. It's creeping towards shoulder length, but never seems to actually get there. It's really annoying. It's also super fluffy, which is doubly annoying at this length because it floofs out everywhere (in the pics it's been tamed a bit with coconut oil, but without my stylist's skill there's no way I can make it look sleek). It's even worse unbleached though, so I guess the dye helped tame it a bit. Anyway, some pics, because there has been growth, and I need to be patient.

This was taken on 4th Feb.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/j9DLJzvsG922B8WfNTdCYvBIgpvVA74okFeNpYEEVD5prn2sfU C3jhiwSIIB80aAhlbjHW8cAPvxXMfU_e3j93V2s4-H-DnZgsF6KZ7jubmW8Kb_jgMy3P_V1uothMamS4sQDeNQUZlKdif Rlr6Ojn7YrPI6J-I_DLQXd4_gj3KcS20rm4FKpNml6opFj3AnB2siWuQBYcm8y2Io g4D3tOu2zNKbov0yahNMlWrRtm3Ha9xOJ5DeQaZ80hmGuUDuBr 1wGd6B1tsP_Cx1cOrv3-9jVm0y3lDMwtAutAgPwn9hmmcalLcG7FzESG2FZagnAhs_s7x8 sXAJgnZknenzKKvzRq3iJtwkH-Jy_QtC5s4Zh27V7_rQqf1mB9SQLIGuYI8UF7gvWTyNQw18hEU1 UoBTtJ9zoxNT7x2sgRQL3d_XF2_BJ2Tbh1Xvf0KlO02FC1WKTD VGTIe4FZJ1NZ5T6GxZ9dHBxrdK4vNMJQFtUSuPn7TORykMNCte XF3OEKxocMNpUvp309GNRRFwXQhbqfLUAM3cUSVcjKfXZsSvFo AvgS6yAN0n8ZCMBGAVdXEMiXhOGcVzwnoqC6TUI4kMKLdQ_8it MhbCSkwZ7Zw9r6llDpd9w4rFBkQAH9TibSs3-r_xGiRoz33XsSLdlJ5184mrNp6PjMi61LVLMAWOhQ=w457-h609-no

This was 17th March:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/OjqoXQ9L5PPXrqiDCqZUjCaLFNmzddcoOwsAWZdUF8eijC7JO0 8OoSK2-M_E8hCUij3Yth3GALTL00F39Tv3-KgmJezaY3k9vnZlY1xIEcH6WZyNrJLH-OnIWD5Tqrp3S7Nz4sgbepmwU2Cisc4BcpxUpz43k02JHcFKp-5rTwAQFnLrZfgPAZkmNDMWOsnuip2HGuUttvDyh2o31NHpM6K6 BZKJ9RuUguonsjQ5K8ih3e2h6W0d0QsVAA9u9dl4yWQEYPTeSE PG3PUn3X0BQxsJNpyta3vKr2VzAgE_TvinCjvbPM7KZkGwMaLC 4lo4zhb1q_Fg95Pww2nBaNc7cqMjZcYeIjf3MuDqAIgTu_v2-Rt7ZmMZqepvyIL7IjX6empKSzwS_IsrM7J5mFpyoCf4iY34yyk 1ZtOc-J3_5bTTgk4PHYfUvpbIIQwn-BoqkyJKg4QPefmwz04vChWU0fj_hxcIv9yJh7sIwui4ew6wBtG fkm3YsKcFsTC9kc1iL9FafxgfIkifgC3wlqmrTn97O0KXGnkNP dnqSb6oLHLDOly_N2kd5KCGvWOQ91ymvhN_YyDF5-3g2xwgiM2kXiSOZig7eNoEHQ6LFHcHubXCZ24lcKdAkg0Drf5Y Mr2-JFigebQgaO5hYy7831-C8pSk-UJXuapRQXtt_VIZpg=w457-h609-no

And this was Tuesday this week:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/TjaJhZ6q987DAevrQGpTenv4qwxmFmQ8gEq_FtdpDXiTeVwOKo KkTdoVMuwhKIehT_5iaTZkR3n3-Lze9b5mLXbputC1gi-GsQ3EwAMBEFwIU0UPrwTtcNaPYX5xXGSypfB677i8WyCwF1W_N 7Z8dKh1mXSrQmp2aHBBrMRy1FBfQ7jowzjmC4UbwsYzuckht1c xRGUyE_Dif9whVP2rsX6yzGKtGAwVzAYUrinOOMvROsessYD4Q IebfGioq4HllukGxsz6A_CGbqBw-B-mxkOqUdjbe1YFD4E58eR5yiqiJbsdCNM553UdnOFSZQTUugRad p1MyN0Of6tdA4XDxCQU8HNWgI2w_XCkw6JI00TRUfDGdXZ51-H8jwdPRQ0yf9j44AqVW1JdQtQzqRqdzdhVMsfQfwlpZXlRW3J3 2jkgODPODvl5ohqXJL3jRhEsrsZumQfwKxfdftyAlBjKzzl4n6 xC77T8PqF1YNq6YKGH3YBP6NjDUQpy9Uuv6kCiIQHgPltOk88R ofYzeejHGT79HJnwS6JmoQX1z7NPFl8Pc9Sn_55bszgfocUZ9y q_uvSCpPV-Sdq8XyfGHTMIOzZBPEqLXOp5kpztZ6rKmceigdtwwc6yV6yISQ pm_bZADbmAsFe1RZe5Aq6JjUK20eOal-20704Tuc9lAmSIxQ=w457-h609-no

This is such a long process :thud:

grooooow
May 25th, 2017, 01:30 AM
Hi, everyone!
Time I join the thread. Well, I'm trying to grow out a heavily-layered, a-line haircut. The front section of my hair is the longest, being past my chin, but not yet shoulder. My first goal in growing out this mess is to have both the front and back reach shoulder, and then from there I want to blunt cut the hemline straight across and continue growing out the upper layers until everything is one length. I know one thing: I'll never again take for granted the ability to do a ponytail or bun, haha. As the saying goes: you don't know how good you've got it until it's gone. But at least hair comes back! And hopefully quickly. :pray: We're all in this together!

Groovy Granny
May 25th, 2017, 12:04 PM
Hi :waving: Just stopping by to cheer you on :cheer:

It can be a tough stage; lots of work keeping it looking nice...odd layers, waves, in your eyes etc (((Hugs)))

Back in 2013 I was where you are, and found it helpful to use pretty headbands and small jeweled claw clips.

Blinging it up and adding little twists and braids as you grow really helps make the time go faster and eliminates styling boredom.

Hang in there...before you know it you will be able to do gibson tucks, sock buns, French twists, pretty half ups etc :flowers:

OhSuzi
May 26th, 2017, 05:12 AM
yvsa - that was a brave move - I was once brave enough to chop the last of the bleach etc out and sported a short virgin hair crop. My intention was to cut all the layers to the shortest one when it reached about chin & get it evened up - currently the front of my hair is angled shorter at the front with longer back and various short layers from an under cut/side cut -which I am not in love with as it kind of goes back at the same angle as my double chin - frames it beautifully - heres my double chin! ta da!.
But I have become pretty attached to the longer mullety bits now that they can be pony tailed and what not. Still getting it cut & evened up but maybe a more gradual process.
Good on you for just getting that bit out the way - like you said once your closer to a desired length you could have layers added again if you still fancy them.

Arctic
May 26th, 2017, 05:19 AM
Question for everyone - at what point do you call shoulder?

If you are impatient, when it starts to brush your trapezius muscles. If you are a bit more patient, when it starts to rest on your shoulders. At this point it starts to be very near collarbone length.

Stephsc
May 26th, 2017, 04:55 PM
If you are impatient, when it starts to brush your trapezius muscles. If you are a bit more patient, when it starts to rest on your shoulders. At this point it starts to be very near collarbone length.

The back part of mine is shoulder length. The front layers almost at collar bone, the bangs at the bottom of the lips. Why did I ever cut my hair? I was on LHC a long time ago and it was below BSL. My MIL kept saying old women shouldn't have long hair. Like the DA I am I eventually got a bob. I start out cutting bangs, then layers, then a chop. Then I don't style it so even if I had just put it up in a English braid it would look better than nothing. I'm growing it again. There are plenty of old women around here with long hair.

_fred_
May 27th, 2017, 02:07 AM

I'm super impatient! It's definitely sitting on my shoulders when wet, but there's so much bounce to it that it still looks like a bob when it's dry. I think I'm going to wait until its actually on my shoulders dry before calling it. Super frustrating, but I need to just be patient.

Arctic
May 28th, 2017, 01:45 AM
Oh yes, the wavyness/curliness factor, I forgot to mention anything about it. It's completely up to you if you measure stretched, wet or non-stretched dry, all are valid. And if some part of your har touches a milestone it will qualify.

Stephsc - Sorry to hear your MIL is so dense she doesn't realise your hair is not her business. I can imagine it gets to your after a while. But no one is too old to have long hair. I hope you'll find support here to counteract her comments.

LongCurlyTress
May 28th, 2017, 09:05 AM
Hi, everyone!
Time I join the thread. Well, I'm trying to grow out a heavily-layered, a-line haircut. The front section of my hair is the longest, being past my chin, but not yet shoulder. My first goal in growing out this mess is to have both the front and back reach shoulder, and then from there I want to blunt cut the hemline straight across and continue growing out the upper layers until everything is one length. I know one thing: I'll never again take for granted the ability to do a ponytail or bun, haha. As the saying goes: you don't know how good you've got it until it's gone. But at least hair comes back! And hopefully quickly. :pray: We're all in this together!
I know exactly how you feel!! I know.... that deal with the ponytail or bun... gaaahhhh what was I thinking by cutting my length off? :( Good luck TO US!! :)

Stephsc
May 29th, 2017, 03:22 PM
Thanks Arctic. She is just very opinionated, about everything. The good thing about moving here is that I see plenty of older women with long hair. Long, purple hair too. ;)

_fred_
May 30th, 2017, 10:36 AM
Oh yes, the wavyness/curliness factor, I forgot to mention anything about it. It's completely up to you if you measure stretched, wet or non-stretched dry, all are valid. And if some part of your har touches a milestone it will qualify. Thank you :) OK, I think I've made my decision what will count now. Despite being super frustrated by it! At least it's getting longer though.

Stephsc I'm sorry your MIL thinks it's OK to say those things. Good luck growing :)

Stephsc
May 30th, 2017, 06:06 PM
Thanks _fred_ I'm over it. Good luck growing yourself!:D

_fred_
May 31st, 2017, 01:56 AM
Thanks _fred_ I'm over it. Good luck growing yourself!:D

Thank you :D

yvsa
May 31st, 2017, 04:09 AM
I'm almost back at shoulder length. I'm also growing out my bangs now. They were in an akward fase the last couple of weeks but now they start to blend in nicely (but that does not show in the picture:wigtongue). Now i just have to stop trimming and focus on length gain. As a trim-aholic this is going to be hard. For now i will not trim until the end of september. Then it will be about six months since my last cut. When my ends still look good i will add a few months of no trimming. If they split i'm going in for a small trim.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27522&d=1496224601

Good luck everybody:cheer:

_fred_
June 10th, 2017, 10:10 AM
I'm almost back at shoulder length. I'm also growing out my bangs now. They were in an akward fase the last couple of weeks but now they start to blend in nicely (but that does not show in the picture:wigtongue). Now i just have to stop trimming and focus on length gain. As a trim-aholic this is going to be hard. For now i will not trim until the end of september. Then it will be about six months since my last cut. When my ends still look good i will add a few months of no trimming. If they split i'm going in for a small trim.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27522&d=1496224601

Good luck everybody:cheer:

Good luck to you as well!

I've been there with the trim addiction. Over the last few weeks I've had a real urge to go see my stylist and just get it cut, but I'm determined to wait until August (my last trim was February so it'll be six months by then). It feels like so long! But at least it feels like it's grown since then.

Shanawavy
June 10th, 2017, 12:20 PM
Hi everyone :) I can feel the longest back layers of my hair touching shoulder length but the front hasn't caught up yet. I had my last haircut in January and am holding out, like some of you are. Good luck to everyone :cheer:

Ezusthold
June 11th, 2017, 06:10 AM
Hey, I'm just reached chin this month, so will stick to this group for a while :):)
Here is my current length photo:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27625&d=1497180671

Can't wait to reach shoulder (I'm not planning to trim till then, or maybe once - depending on how many months will it take:))

_fred_
June 11th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Welcome Ezusthold! Your hair looks so glossy and healthy :D Best of luck getting it to shoulder, I hope it'll be a quick journey!

Shanawavy, go you! I'm also there with being able to feel the back at shoulder length, especially when it's wet, but it's not there dry yet.

Ezusthold
June 11th, 2017, 03:30 PM
Thank you _fred_, fingers crossed :):)
I'm so excited to reach that length you're just describing - I guess you need to be even more patient with wavy hair, hope it reaches the SL in dry state soon:)

Ezusthold
June 11th, 2017, 03:40 PM
The back part of mine is shoulder length. The front layers almost at collar bone, the bangs at the bottom of the lips. Why did I ever cut my hair? I was on LHC a long time ago and it was below BSL. My MIL kept saying old women shouldn't have long hair. Like the DA I am I eventually got a bob. I start out cutting bangs, then layers, then a chop. Then I don't style it so even if I had just put it up in a English braid it would look better than nothing. I'm growing it again. There are plenty of old women around here with long hair.

I usually get so pi**ed off when I hear that certain hairstyles or clothes are not fitting to women over 30. It should be always your personality and personal features which determines the clothes/hairstyles/colors matching you best, and not your age (and especially not someone else who calls you "old woman"...). The only clothes I can imagine as not matching to a grown up female are the baby rompers :D:D:D (but it's not true for the baby-bald head - that can rock with the right head shapes ;))
So I'm really happy you chose to go for the hairstyle you want :hifive:

_fred_
June 11th, 2017, 03:48 PM
Thank you _fred_, fingers crossed :):)
I'm so excited to reach that length you're just describing - I guess you need to be even more patient with wavy hair, hope it reaches the SL in dry state soon:)

Thanks! I hope it'll be faster than we think for both of us. I'm hoping mine will hit proper shoulder length by mid August. I'm beginning to revise my 6 month trim plan because of it though. Might go for 9 months instead, and just let it grow!

Shanawavy
June 12th, 2017, 04:59 AM
Thanks, Fred :) Mini-goals rule!

I also cut back because of pressure. Yesterday I felt like getting it cut again. I'm trying to encourage the wave pattern. But it flipped upwards at the ends instead. I put it up into a beak clip and went out. But then it kept sliding out of the clip as I was walking along!
I won't get it cut though because I am so excited about keeping it in good condition and I love brushing it.

_fred_
June 12th, 2017, 12:05 PM
Thanks, Fred :) Mini-goals rule!

I also cut back because of pressure. Yesterday I felt like getting it cut again. I'm trying to encourage the wave pattern. But it flipped upwards at the ends instead. I put it up into a beak clip and went out. But then it kept sliding out of the clip as I was walking along!
I won't get it cut though because I am so excited about keeping it in good condition and I love brushing it.

I've got that fipped up at the ends thing going on as well. Doesn't matter what I do to it. And the way it's growing, it's just increasing how much is flipped up at the end, and not actually looking any longer! I'm hoping it'll eventually get long enough that the flip just collapses under its own weight and I'll be at shoulder overnight!

Congrats on the condition :D

Shanawavy
June 12th, 2017, 03:09 PM
Thanks, Fred. :) I will also be at the 'flips' stage for a while yet. Hang in there - it's summer (supposed to be, anyway) so at least our hair will grow fast!

_fred_
June 13th, 2017, 12:35 AM
Thanks, Fred. :) I will also be at the 'flips' stage for a while yet. Hang in there - it's summer (supposed to be, anyway) so at least our hair will grow fast!

There is that! I've noticed a bit of a boost in growth lately, and I wasn't sure if it was because of the turn of the season or the vitamins (they both started around the same time!). It's not much, but it feels like a lot.

What styles are you using to keep your hair out of the way right now? I've been trying to vary how I put it up for work, so I don't just end up relying on a ponytail like I used to when I was younger and had long hair (today it's in a folded satin scarf and bobby pins, first time I've used the scarf since it got near shoulder).

Shanawavy
June 13th, 2017, 02:14 AM
It sounds as if you are very near shoulder, Fred. The folded satin scarf sounds lovely. Do you use a square scarf or a rectangular one?
I have lots of layers, and when I can get my hair to be wavy, it is too short to put up still.
On a 'straight' day, I put the front up separately. Then I put the rest into two small claw clips or mini spin pins, one on top of the other. Or one mini spin pin/claw clip in a tiny bun. Plus lots of bobby pins, otherwise too many of the shorter layers slide out. There's messy, and then there's lopsided :D
I adapted the two claw clips idea from one I saw on Milabu's channel on YouTube. Worth a look. She has lots of great ideas for short hair, but some of them are not that LHC friendly as they use backcombing.
I know what you mean about the ponytail. I can also do a peacock twist with a claw clip, but to be honest, I'm a bit bored with it as I did this all the time when my hair was longer in the past.

Obsidian
June 13th, 2017, 12:02 PM
I was nearing APL but had my layers cut off today, I'm back at chin length and my hair looks so much better with all the scraggly layers gone. I probably cut off around 5" total over a 3 day period. I tried staying longer but it looked horrible, now with fresh nice ends all the way round I think it will grow out better looking.

_fred_
June 13th, 2017, 12:44 PM
Shanawavy, yep, I'm so close! It's reaching collarbone when wet/stretched, and just above my shoulders when dry. The scarf is a square one, I fold it diagonally a few times to get a headband style thing, and bobby pin it in. It really helped at the awkward stage around chin to neck length, and it's helping again now I'm at yet another awkward stage!

I used to have layers, and my hair did similar to what you describe. Your method sounds really useful, thank you for sharing :D I'll check out Milabu as well (though yeah, I think I'll give the backcombing a miss!). I need more claw clips - everything at the back likes to escape.

I'm with you on the peacock twist. I do still like it sometimes, but it's more something I'd use at home to keep my hair out of the way rather than when I'm out or at work.

Obsidian, congrats on the chop! It sounds like you've got a great basis for growing it out healthy and happy :)

Shanawavy
June 13th, 2017, 02:21 PM
Obsidian, congratulations and happy growing!

Fred, thanks for explaining how you do your headband, very helpful. I suspect you'll get on better with updos than me - my front layers have a few months to go before they catch up with the back.

Today my hair looks unintentionally like an above the shoulder 'Rachel from Friends' haircut. The funny
thing is that I had that cut the first time round - and my hair was at APL then! Remembering this is motivation to keep growing in itself:)

_fred_
June 13th, 2017, 04:11 PM
Shanawavy oh wow! I remember the first time that cut did the rounds too. So much nostalgia! I never had the cut, but sometimes if I was lucky my hair would do the face-framing thing.

How short are your shortest layers? When I had mine layered at some point last year or the year before, the shortest were only a few inches long. Trying to tame my hair has always been an adventure, but it was more so with those layers. I'm a 2a/2b, and the shorter it is, the more it wants to go everywhere all at once.

Shanawavy
June 13th, 2017, 04:19 PM
My shortest layers are jaw length at the front. Yours sounds like it has grown out a lot in just a few years! My hair seems to be a 1c on top, but has a uniform loose wave underneath that I'm calling 2a for now.

_fred_
June 14th, 2017, 01:29 AM
It has, yeah! Looking over old photos, I was growing out the shortest layers for a while so I could have a chin length bob. Definitely took so long because I kept having it cut!

Strange how different wave patterns crop up in different places, but cool too.

grooooow
June 15th, 2017, 12:29 AM
The longest layers in the front, when stretched, now almost reach collarbone. I can tell I'm making progress, but am so impatient. So tired of this short hair! There are sooooo many things I miss and want to do once my hair is longer again, such as:
Trying out hair sticks
The feel of my hair over my shoulders and back
Not having my whole life revolve around hair, because at the moment it feels like it does
Being able to make a real ponytail and messy updos
And probably my favorite: Standing in front of a mirror with a fan and pretending to be Beyonce :disco: haha

Alien Girl
June 15th, 2017, 09:32 AM
I keep making good progress and screwing it up with my hair-dye addiction!
I'm at SL right now after a moderate chop, but will be chopping to my chin this week. :)

Ezusthold
June 15th, 2017, 02:27 PM
I keep making good progress and screwing it up with my hair-dye addiction!
I'm at SL right now after a moderate chop, but will be chopping to my chin this week. :)

Oh, are you chopping it because of damaged ends, or some other reason? I don't know what hair-dye addiction means in your case, if different colors over time then I have no good solution, but eg if you'd like to have a hair color similar to your last sigpic, it's absolutely doable with henna (it is actually the classic henna-red:), so you would not damage your hair in the future with it :)

Mrstran
June 15th, 2017, 02:48 PM
If I had shaved my head, I'd have the craziest mullet ever! Likely to be fighting it off for years.
More frustration than anything growing to shoulder.
Does hair grow slower at this stage? No it's just the top of my freaking head.

My hair is layered at BSL. In 8 months I have grown from CBL to BSL. Sounds great and all BUT! My shortest layer which was 1 cm above my chin 8 months ago, has grown a whopping 2 cm total in those 8 months. It is STILL at chin length. This is the same for all the hair on my head from ears up. Meanwhile the hair from ears down has grown pretty fast.

Never getting rid of this dumb layer!! To make matters worse, that chin length layer is super thick. My head looks like a mushroom if untamed. :horse:

_fred_
June 16th, 2017, 01:33 AM
Mrstran I can sympathise, mine also does the mushroom thing at that length. It's only just growing out of it now, but it floofs up something chromic. I hope you'll have a growth spurt with your shorter layers so they can catch up a bit.

Mrstran
June 16th, 2017, 11:07 AM
Mrstran I can sympathise, mine also does the mushroom thing at that length. It's only just growing out of it now, but it floofs up something chromic. I hope you'll have a growth spurt with your shorter layers so they can catch up a bit.

Thank you _fred_:) Sorry you've had to deal with that too. It's just such a pain!

Shanawavy
June 18th, 2017, 03:58 AM
Mrstran and Fred I have that mushroom layer too. Roll on the day when it blends in a bit more.

I've been looking at Arctic's Braided Updo for Shoulder-AP length hair: hope the link works, otherwise it's on one of the first pages of the Mane Forum:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132400 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?
t=132400)

A lovely updo to grow towards!

_fred_
June 18th, 2017, 02:14 PM
Mrstran, isn't it just! If it wasn't for the miracle of coconut oil it would have driven me up the wall already!

Shanawavy Funny you should mention that, I was having a go at that yesterday! I can't do it yet, mine's not quite long enough, but I'm hoping I should be able to do it by Autumn. It's so lovely!

Today mine was mushrooming gloriously (after a deep condition/direct dye then air drying), and it's made me really look forward to having it long and draping it everywhere. When it's long the enormous floof gives it a cool medieval look, just not when it's short lol.

Mrstran
June 18th, 2017, 02:23 PM
Thank you for the link shanawavy! that'll be something new to try.
_fred_ the coconut oil was a dream solution when I first discovered it. I'm still in love. Oh and that smell!