PDA

View Full Version : Chin | Shoulder | Collarbone

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13

stardust lady
March 9th, 2021, 02:06 AM
I’m starting to wonder if maybe I measured shoulder wrong - according to my little note of my milestones, shoulder is 18.5” and I’m currently a bit more than 16”, so I would have thought I had a several more months in this thread ahead... my shoulders are quite slopey, though - maybe 18.5” is to a lower point on the slope.

I think I’ll wait to call shoulder till I’m at a pretty solidly there shoulder to APL seems like such a long stretch, I’d rather give myself a bit of a buffer.

Bat, stardust lady, Eastbound&Down, InTheCity (& anyone else currently growing on this thread who I’ve missed out - sorry!) - can I ask what length you’re currently at, and where you measure shoulder to be?

I'm at a little over 15". 17" to get to a solid shoulder for me I think. I'm a petite person so no surprise. I do a standard 1/2" a month, so I'll be here for at least 3-4 more months.

Bat
March 9th, 2021, 02:56 AM
@Stitches

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/754621585465540641/813791076342693979/IMG_24022021_011451_300_x_450_pixel.jpg

Not sure about my measurements over 17

Iyashikei
March 9th, 2021, 05:06 AM
Iím starting to wonder if maybe I measured shoulder wrong - according to my little note of my milestones, shoulder is 18.5Ē and Iím currently a bit more than 16Ē, so I would have thought I had a several more months in this thread ahead... my shoulders are quite slopey, though - maybe 18.5Ē is to a lower point on the slope.

I think Iíll wait to call shoulder till Iím at a pretty solidly there shoulder to APL seems like such a long stretch, Iíd rather give myself a bit of a buffer.

Bat, stardust lady, Eastbound&Down, InTheCity (& anyone else currently growing on this thread who Iíve missed out - sorry!) - can I ask what length youíre currently at, and where you measure shoulder to be?
My longest layers are actually past my collarbone already, however I have a mullet and the shortest layers are still at the slope of my shoulders. My shoulders slope a fair bit too. It seems to be more reasonable for me to call shoulder when my shorter layers are about collarbone length.

Eastbound&Down
March 9th, 2021, 07:36 AM
I’m starting to wonder if maybe I measured shoulder wrong - according to my little note of my milestones, shoulder is 18.5” and I’m currently a bit more than 16”, so I would have thought I had a several more months in this thread ahead... my shoulders are quite slopey, though - maybe 18.5” is to a lower point on the slope.

I think I’ll wait to call shoulder till I’m at a pretty solidly there shoulder to APL seems like such a long stretch, I’d rather give myself a bit of a buffer.

Bat, stardust lady, Eastbound&Down, InTheCity (& anyone else currently growing on this thread who I’ve missed out - sorry!) - can I ask what length you’re currently at, and where you measure shoulder to be?

I am currently just past 14", calling shoulder at 16".

DropStitches
March 9th, 2021, 10:24 AM
Ooh! It's so interesting to see how different the measurements are on different bodies - and it sounds like we're all tantalisingly close! Iyashikei can you do fun styles with those collarbone length bits? I've started doing a style I call "a haphazard jumble of jaw clips", which probably looks terrible from the back, but almost everyone is seeing me from the front on video call at the moment, so they're none the wiser! I really like the feeling of my hair being up and out of the way - I feel more 'put together', even if the style itself is a bit of a mess!

Iyashikei
March 9th, 2021, 10:43 AM
Ooh! It's so interesting to see how different the measurements are on different bodies - and it sounds like we're all tantalisingly close! Iyashikei can you do fun styles with those collarbone length bits? I've started doing a style I call "a haphazard jumble of jaw clips", which probably looks terrible from the back, but almost everyone is seeing me from the front on video call at the moment, so they're none the wiser! I really like the feeling of my hair being up and out of the way - I feel more 'put together', even if the style itself is a bit of a mess!
I've done double braids with my hair before for working out. It's actually the only style that keeps my hair kinda tidy that way. Otherwise it's either a messy bun or a ponytail. Gotta keep it up all the time because I work with food.

Eastbound&Down
March 9th, 2021, 12:47 PM
I keep going back and forth on if I want to keep my undercut or grow it out. I've had it for almost a year and I've enjoyed it, but I'm not sure if I want to wait and have a huge difference in length as the rest of my hair grows out. Decisions, decisions.

InTheCity
March 9th, 2021, 06:30 PM
Had to blow dry the other day http://imgur.com/a/cb2XRga

Gettin' close!

So beautiful!

@DropStitches - Really good question. My longer/inner layers can pull down to my collarbone. I consider shoulder to be when my shortest/outer layers also sit on my shoulders. My shoulders are definitely sloped so its weird to call. I'm not quite at 18" in measurement as of a week ago and I still felt like I wasn't at shoulder. But today I'm feeling pretty shoulder. I let me ends curl in this silly unnatural way (eg: how my hair airdries... eye roll) while I dry the rest of my hair slicked back into a claw clip. It flattens things out without heat and works for me but makes it really hard to tell length. I'll see if I can snap a pic of today, since I washed it today and haven't slept on it yet.

InTheCity
March 9th, 2021, 06:39 PM
Shorter outer layer. When stretched it's passed shoulders but somehow when it's dry it looks like it still sits an inch or more about shoulder.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44692&d=1615340187

Longer inner layer. When stretches it's even past my collarbone.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44691&d=1615340173

stardust lady
March 10th, 2021, 02:49 AM

Haha I do the jumple of jaw clips too. With two or three, I can get it all tied away and looking rather elegant, at least from the front. I still rejoice every time I get all the hairs off my neck.

I've done double braids with my hair before for working out. It's actually the only style that keeps my hair kinda tidy that way. Otherwise it's either a messy bun or a ponytail. Gotta keep it up all the time because I work with food.

Oh my God, I haven't tried doing double french braids yet. I think it's time to try.

I keep going back and forth on if I want to keep my undercut or grow it out. I've had it for almost a year and I've enjoyed it, but I'm not sure if I want to wait and have a huge difference in length as the rest of my hair grows out. Decisions, decisions.

What kind of undercut? Now is the time to grow it if you do...

So beautiful!

Thank you!

Bat
March 10th, 2021, 05:49 AM
Shorter outer layer. When stretched it's passed shoulders but somehow when it's dry it looks like it still sits an inch or more about shoulder.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44692&d=1615340187

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44691&d=1615340173

That is some crazy Shrinkage!

Iyashikei
March 10th, 2021, 10:53 AM
Haha I do the jumple of jaw clips too. With two or three, I can get it all tied away and looking rather elegant, at least from the front. I still rejoice every time I get all the hairs off my neck.

Oh my God, I haven't tried doing double french braids yet. I think it's time to try.

Thank you!

I wish I could do french braids. The only ones I actually can are english braids.

Eastbound&Down
March 10th, 2021, 11:49 AM

Its a triangle undercut, essentially the whole under layer from the nape of my neck with the highest point around the top of my ears.

InTheCity
March 10th, 2021, 05:27 PM
@Bat - It know, right? I don't really get it. Even when I let my hair dry slicked back to my head so that it's fairly straight instead of the frizzy, unruly curls it would otherwise be I can pull it down several inches. Makes me feel like I'll never get to shoulder. I thought I'd be there in December but here I am...

stardust lady
March 11th, 2021, 02:58 AM
I wish I could do french braids. The only ones I actually can are english braids.

Have you watched any youtube tutorials for it? I find it to be pretty easy - just grab two sections and add the third over and over. I start with one section in each hand, then glide my thumb underneath both sections, alternating right and left, to braid in the third section. Now that I'm doing it and trying to figure out how to describe it, it seems more complicated, but it's actually really intuitive once you realize how to do it - like riding a bike.

I need to learn dutch braids. That's one I've never done but I love the way double dutch braids look.

Its a triangle undercut, essentially the whole under layer from the nape of my neck with the highest point around the top of my ears.

I almost got one of those in October but then the stylist who was supposed to cut it for me talked me out of it, told me to just get a trim and let it grow. I'm kinda glad because I've decided I want a full head of hair after all. I still think they look really cool though - I was planning on getting exactly what you have. How does it feel? I remember my undercut felt kind of weird right after I got it, but mine was 360 up to the crown so maybe a little different feeling. It was very unexpected, but very breezy lol. Sleeping on buzzed hair wasn't as comfortable as I imagined it would be though.

@Bat - It know, right? I don't really get it. Even when I let my hair dry slicked back to my head so that it's fairly straight instead of the frizzy, unruly curls it would otherwise be I can pull it down several inches. Makes me feel like I'll never get to shoulder. I thought I'd be there in December but here I am...

My hair has the same amount of shrinkage when I tie it back while wet too... It's only when I blow dry that it stretches. So weird. But I know how you feel, when I first started growing I thought I'd be at shoulder last spring. Lmao.

Do you think you need protein or moisture? I've noticed that my texture changes depending on moisture and protein treatments, sometimes looking wavier or straighter depending on what I do. Also textured hair seems to look different lengths on different days, like in this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ONoyBuVdwSY You can see his hair when he is almost at shoulder sort of shrink and elongate day after day.

Have you experimented with other styling options to see if something else would be better? Wet wrapping isn't working for me anymore, but neither does scrunching (or any curly hair method), so I always want to hear other styling methods.

draysmir
March 11th, 2021, 07:15 AM

Personally, I would consider your hair shoulder length. :) I understand not wanting to call it until you feel like it's really there though. :D I think layers tend to give hair more texture and shrinkage, are you keeping your layers as you grow or are you going to trim them out eventually?

I second stardust lady's comment about having a proper balance of protein and moisture. Your ends look like they are a different texture, and maybe need more/different product compared to the rest of your length?

Iyashikei
March 11th, 2021, 10:57 AM
Have you watched any youtube tutorials for it? I find it to be pretty easy - just grab two sections and add the third over and over. I start with one section in each hand, then glide my thumb underneath both sections, alternating right and left, to braid in the third section. Now that I'm doing it and trying to figure out how to describe it, it seems more complicated, but it's actually really intuitive once you realize how to do it - like riding a bike.

I need to learn dutch braids. That's one I've never done but I love the way double dutch braids look.

I almost got one of those in October but then the stylist who was supposed to cut it for me talked me out of it, told me to just get a trim and let it grow. I'm kinda glad because I've decided I want a full head of hair after all. I still think they look really cool though - I was planning on getting exactly what you have. How does it feel? I remember my undercut felt kind of weird right after I got it, but mine was 360 up to the crown so maybe a little different feeling. It was very unexpected, but very breezy lol. Sleeping on buzzed hair wasn't as comfortable as I imagined it would be though.

My hair has the same amount of shrinkage when I tie it back while wet too... It's only when I blow dry that it stretches. So weird. But I know how you feel, when I first started growing I thought I'd be at shoulder last spring. Lmao.

Do you think you need protein or moisture? I've noticed that my texture changes depending on moisture and protein treatments, sometimes looking wavier or straighter depending on what I do. Also textured hair seems to look different lengths on different days, like in this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ONoyBuVdwSY You can see his hair when he is almost at shoulder sort of shrink and elongate day after day.

Have you experimented with other styling options to see if something else would be better? Wet wrapping isn't working for me anymore, but neither does scrunching (or any curly hair method), so I always want to hear other styling methods.
I think I'll wait until my english braids go well. I need to try each braid at least three times before I'm satisfied with them. Not to mention it's been a couple of months since I've done them because I don't want pointless discussions with my parents.

Eastbound&Down
March 11th, 2021, 12:17 PM

Oh, I love it, I actually don't even think about it most of the time. I got it to help take some weight off my head because I was having some migraine issues. They have mostly been resolved with a diet change so now I have to think about long term, do I want a huge disparity between the bottom layer and the rest of my hair as it gets to BSL, WL, and eventually hip. If I start now, there will be a 2-3 inch difference that I can disguise and eventually trim out. Idk, still debating lol

stardust lady
March 11th, 2021, 02:45 PM
Personally, I would consider your hair shoulder length. :) I understand not wanting to call it until you feel like it's really there though. :D I think layers tend to give hair more texture and shrinkage, are you keeping your layers as you grow or are you going to trim them out eventually?

I second stardust lady's comment about having a proper balance of protein and moisture. Your ends look like they are a different texture, and maybe need more/different product compared to the rest of your length?

Now that I'm looking at those photos on my desktop, it seems like it might actually be totally healthy and just the texture gives the illusion of frizz. Mine was like that before I started using henna, which gave the individual hairs enough weight to not puff up as much. InTheCity - have you ever tried henna?

Oh, I love it, I actually don't even think about it most of the time. I got it to help take some weight off my head because I was having some migraine issues. They have mostly been resolved with a diet change so now I have to think about long term, do I want a huge disparity between the bottom layer and the rest of my hair as it gets to BSL, WL, and eventually hip. If I start now, there will be a 2-3 inch difference that I can disguise and eventually trim out. Idk, still debating lol

Oh I hear you about the headaches. Mine were helped with an iron supplement. Had no idea I was low on ferritin until I went to get my physical this year. Helped a lot of things. I've heard it's super common for women too (probably because we bleed once a month, lol).

That's a super hard decision to make. How long have you had it for? florenonite (hope I'm spelling that right) talked me out of it on here many weeks ago, because I was getting close to doing it again. I can't remember what she said, let me see if I can find it... here it is: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=31563&page=582

I think her point was basically How long have you had it? Do you know for sure you'll want to keep it?

When I had an undercut, I kept it for all of a couple months before growing out, at which point I got a skin fade with a short top, since there was no way I was growing out hair with any kind of length disparity long-term. Took about a year of frequent cuts before I can just finally let it grow on it's own now without trimming mullets and long bangs and such.

Okay I'm not sure if I'm helping, but I'm not sure if you've ever grown out an undercut before so it helps to know the reality of it. I thought the grow out would be a lot faster, so it was a shock for me. I don't want to talk you into growing it out though - nape shaves (especially triangle nape shaves) are so freaking cool.

Eastbound&Down
March 11th, 2021, 03:41 PM
Now that I'm looking at those photos on my desktop, it seems like it might actually be totally healthy and just the texture gives the illusion of frizz. Mine was like that before I started using henna, which gave the individual hairs enough weight to not puff up as much. InTheCity - have you ever tried henna?

Oh I hear you about the headaches. Mine were helped with an iron supplement. Had no idea I was low on ferritin until I went to get my physical this year. Helped a lot of things. I've heard it's super common for women too (probably because we bleed once a month, lol).

That's a super hard decision to make. How long have you had it for? florenonite (hope I'm spelling that right) talked me out of it on here many weeks ago, because I was getting close to doing it again. I can't remember what she said, let me see if I can find it... here it is: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=31563&page=582

I think her point was basically How long have you had it? Do you know for sure you'll want to keep it?

When I had an undercut, I kept it for all of a couple months before growing out, at which point I got a skin fade with a short top, since there was no way I was growing out hair with any kind of length disparity long-term. Took about a year of frequent cuts before I can just finally let it grow on it's own now without trimming mullets and long bangs and such.

Okay I'm not sure if I'm helping, but I'm not sure if you've ever grown out an undercut before so it helps to know the reality of it. I thought the grow out would be a lot faster, so it was a shock for me. I don't want to talk you into growing it out though - nape shaves (especially triangle nape shaves) are so freaking cool.

I've had it for almost a year and have kept up with it, shaving it about every 6-8 weeks. I have had a very short pixie so I know how much of a pain that was but this is different because it is mostly hidden as it is my bottom layer. Eh, I'll let it grow and if I decide I do want it still I can bust out the clippers lol

InTheCity
March 11th, 2021, 05:07 PM

I'm sure my hair needs both. I'm the worst with haircare. I wash it every 3 days or so with some biotin shampoo I bought online because it had a coupon. Literally no idea what's even in it. I don't use conditioner because for a while I got wacky where my hair was getting greasy too quickly. I usually spray a few squirts of a liquid leave in conditioner as my styling product. Not always though.

My ends are definitely fried a bit from bleach-intensive highlights I had done in Sept 2019. Every few years I crave color but my hair is so dark any lightening at all wrecks it. So I need to commit to no more lightening. I'm open to suggestions for sure.

I feel like my styling method of letting it dry in a clip works for me, except at this length when the ends are too long to be caught in the clip but too short to have a coherent curl. In a few months that won't as much a problem. My mom has a similar hair texture and at 50-something years old still just dries her hair in a ponytail. She doesn't own a blow dryer, let alone know how to use one, lol.

I don't want layers at all. I don't have enough hair for them to ever look good. I don't necessarily mind my length being different front vs. back but not official layers. My ends are a bit color damaged but only the last inch or two. And part of them looking goofy is how I let it dry. Just the last 2 inches or so were loose so enough to zig zag wildly but not long enough for a nicer looking curl or wave.

I'm definitely open to routine change for type 2/3 hair. I wash with shampoo and spray a little leave-in as a styling product.

stardust lady
March 12th, 2021, 01:40 AM
I've had it for almost a year and have kept up with it, shaving it about every 6-8 weeks. I have had a very short pixie so I know how much of a pain that was but this is different because it is mostly hidden as it is my bottom layer. Eh, I'll let it grow and if I decide I do want it still I can bust out the clippers lol

Not a terrible idea. Always nice to have options. I think if you've had it for a year and still like it and don't mind the upkeep, you will probably enjoy it with your long hair. But better safe than sorry, right?

I'm sure my hair needs both. I'm the worst with haircare. I wash it every 3 days or so with some biotin shampoo I bought online because it had a coupon. Literally no idea what's even in it. I don't use conditioner because for a while I got wacky where my hair was getting greasy too quickly. I usually spray a few squirts of a liquid leave in conditioner as my styling product. Not always though.

My ends are definitely fried a bit from bleach-intensive highlights I had done in Sept 2019. Every few years I crave color but my hair is so dark any lightening at all wrecks it. So I need to commit to no more lightening. I'm open to suggestions for sure.

I feel like my styling method of letting it dry in a clip works for me, except at this length when the ends are too long to be caught in the clip but too short to have a coherent curl. In a few months that won't as much a problem. My mom has a similar hair texture and at 50-something years old still just dries her hair in a ponytail. She doesn't own a blow dryer, let alone know how to use one, lol.

I don't want layers at all. I don't have enough hair for them to ever look good. I don't necessarily mind my length being different front vs. back but not official layers. My ends are a bit color damaged but only the last inch or two. And part of them looking goofy is how I let it dry. Just the last 2 inches or so were loose so enough to zig zag wildly but not long enough for a nicer looking curl or wave.

I'm definitely open to routine change for type 2/3 hair. I wash with shampoo and spray a little leave-in as a styling product.

Well, since you are open to suggestions, then I would definitely recommend getting a cheap Suave type conditioner and doing CWC with it, just putting condish on the ends and shampooing just the scalp, then conditioning the ends again. Then I would also recommend chelating. And then using some silicones after the shower before wrapping it while damp. That, I think, will help the look and feel. Or at least that's what's working for me. Like I said, my hair looked really similar to yours, albeit with less shrinkage, and all that stuff plus henna really helped. It's straighter, smoother and less poofy, despite the fact that I just moved to a place where the humidity is often in the 80s.

Also, I'm not sure based on the pictures, it's always hard to really tell from pictures that are taken indoors, but do you have naturally very dark hair? Or do you have any sparkles that you want to keep clear? I know it's not for everyone, but henna really straightened and smoothed mine out, and I think if your hair is really dark you won't be able to notice the color very much, if you're not a fan of orange/red. Even if it did impart warm tones, I'm sure they would look really good. It's obviously a risk and you'd wanna strand test the heck out of it first, but I think it could look awesome.

Bat
March 12th, 2021, 03:23 AM
For now I'm keeping my sides short and enjoying my mullet.

Iyashikei
March 12th, 2021, 06:34 AM
Reason why I want to get past this stage: the pieces that literally get blown out of my ponytail when it's windy.

Eastbound&Down
March 12th, 2021, 07:15 AM
Reason why I want to get past this stage: the pieces that literally get blown out of my ponytail when it's windy.

Yep, particularly the right side, right by my ear. So irritating.

InTheCity
March 12th, 2021, 05:17 PM
Well, since you are open to suggestions, then I would definitely recommend getting a cheap Suave type conditioner and doing CWC with it, just putting condish on the ends and shampooing just the scalp, then conditioning the ends again. Then I would also recommend chelating. And then using some silicones after the shower before wrapping it while damp. That, I think, will help the look and feel. Or at least that's what's working for me. Like I said, my hair looked really similar to yours, albeit with less shrinkage, and all that stuff plus henna really helped. It's straighter, smoother and less poofy, despite the fact that I just moved to a place where the humidity is often in the 80s.

Also, I'm not sure based on the pictures, it's always hard to really tell from pictures that are taken indoors, but do you have naturally very dark hair? Or do you have any sparkles that you want to keep clear? I know it's not for everyone, but henna really straightened and smoothed mine out, and I think if your hair is really dark you won't be able to notice the color very much, if you're not a fan of orange/red. Even if it did impart warm tones, I'm sure they would look really good. It's obviously a risk and you'd wanna strand test the heck out of it first, but I think it could look awesome.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll add a cheap Suave cond. to my next grocery order. I vaguely remember the last time I grew long and visited these boards my routine included very affordable conditioner - probably was Suave actually. Not sure what chelating is but I'll keep any eye out. Any suggestions for silicone after? My friend recommend a bond sustaining product that I was able to find a fairly small bottle of on target's website so I added that to my ends in the shower today. I don't shower long enough for the recommend length of time to leave it in but I'm sure 5 minutes was better than nothing.

Yes I have pretty dark brown hair; a natural color that I generally love but way too many silver sparkles these days. I'm just not into upkeep or spending time/money at a salon so I don't bother with coloring except that once in a blue moon I crave highlights and promptly regret the damage it causes. I would love my hair to be smoother and less frizzy (I spend a lot of time by the ocean in the summer and my hair is a trainwreck!) and probably wouldn't might a slight warmth or red. My natural highlights (before the silver...) were always orange and red. Sometimes in the sun I get this awesome gold shine! That said, henna may be worth looking into. I don't have enough gray where I'd worry too much about that white roots look so I could probably get away with it.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll try to search around other threads for some henna insight!

Eastbound&Down
March 12th, 2021, 08:59 PM
One benefit of dying my hair a lighter color is that I can see my roots coming in and can gage my growth based on that. I've had decent growth this last month, I'll need to touch of my roots in the next couple of weeks.

Bat
March 13th, 2021, 05:36 PM
What Color do you dye it?

I'm gradually going to go blond so will pretty much have a reverse ombre since most of my hair is too Bleach damage to risk luckily hot roots are in currently, plus I could have a Rozz Williams moment

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/754621585465540641/820456461037338664/Screenshot_2021-03-14-10-40-06-69.jpg

Plus the added bonus of watching my hair grow

Eastbound&Down
March 13th, 2021, 06:25 PM
What Color do you dye it?

I've been going with a dark ash blonde, about 1-2 shades lighter than my natural brown. Although I have been considering going to a medium ash blonde with summer coming up around the corner.

stardust lady
March 13th, 2021, 07:21 PM
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll add a cheap Suave cond. to my next grocery order. I vaguely remember the last time I grew long and visited these boards my routine included very affordable conditioner - probably was Suave actually. Not sure what chelating is but I'll keep any eye out. Any suggestions for silicone after? My friend recommend a bond sustaining product that I was able to find a fairly small bottle of on target's website so I added that to my ends in the shower today. I don't shower long enough for the recommend length of time to leave it in but I'm sure 5 minutes was better than nothing.

Yes I have pretty dark brown hair; a natural color that I generally love but way too many silver sparkles these days. I'm just not into upkeep or spending time/money at a salon so I don't bother with coloring except that once in a blue moon I crave highlights and promptly regret the damage it causes. I would love my hair to be smoother and less frizzy (I spend a lot of time by the ocean in the summer and my hair is a trainwreck!) and probably wouldn't might a slight warmth or red. My natural highlights (before the silver...) were always orange and red. Sometimes in the sun I get this awesome gold shine! That said, henna may be worth looking into. I don't have enough gray where I'd worry too much about that white roots look so I could probably get away with it.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll try to search around other threads for some henna insight!

No prob! I hope some of that info works for you. I think, at the end of the day, we just have the kind of texture that can easily look frizzy, but all that stuff helps me go from damaged looking frizz to full, healthy looking (although at times messy) volume. Also, I forgot to mention Olaplex #3. Kinda spendy, but if you feel like splurging, it's nice for damage control.

Oh I really hope you like henna, if you go for it! I think darker shades of brown look so good with it. It just adds incredible warmth and depth, and the shine in the sun is so cool. Plus, since you have some sparkles here and there, they can be a sparkly bright red-orange! Sounds like you will probably suit the color, since you have orange tones in your hair.

One benefit of dying my hair a lighter color is that I can see my roots coming in and can gage my growth based on that. I've had decent growth this last month, I'll need to touch of my roots in the next couple of weeks.

Since I dyed my hair darker, it's actually so awesome to see lighter roots growing. My previous henna recipe was so light that you couldn't tell where the roots were. I went back to the old blend, and despite doing a couple lightening treatments, the length is still a little darker. Although it's not a great look, I can't say I mind, because I get so happy seeing all the new growth.

InTheCity
March 13th, 2021, 07:44 PM
No prob! I hope some of that info works for you. I think, at the end of the day, we just have the kind of texture that can easily look frizzy, but all that stuff helps me go from damaged looking frizz to full, healthy looking (although at times messy) volume. Also, I forgot to mention Olaplex #3. Kinda spendy, but if you feel like splurging, it's nice for damage control.

Oh I really hope you like henna, if you go for it! I think darker shades of brown look so good with it. It just adds incredible warmth and depth, and the shine in the sun is so cool. Plus, since you have some sparkles here and there, they can be a sparkly bright red-orange! Sounds like you will probably suit the color, since you have orange tones in your hair.

Now I'm really intrigued about the henna. Do you have a brand you recommend? A quick google search revealed the varieties are limitless! I'll look into Olaplex now. I spend so little on hair and beauty type stuff that I can certainly stand a splurge here and there. Thank you so much for sharing your expertise. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic that I might actually get decent long hair this go-round. There are no babies or hormonal birth control pills in my future so my fingers are crossed for enough volume for APL+ to not look like a joke on me.

Bat
March 14th, 2021, 04:31 AM
I've been going with a dark ash blonde, about 1-2 shades lighter than my natural brown. Although I have been considering going to a medium ash blonde with summer coming up around the corner.

I like ash blond, it's nice.

Bat
March 14th, 2021, 04:44 AM
Now I'm really intrigued about the henna. Do you have a brand you recommend? A quick google search revealed the varieties are limitless! I'll look into Olaplex now. I spend so little on hair and beauty type stuff that I can certainly stand a splurge here and there. Thank you so much for sharing your expertise. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic that I might actually get decent long hair this go-round. There are no babies or hormonal birth control pills in my future so my fingers are crossed for enough volume for APL+ to not look like a joke on me.
You'll need a good conditioner or mask with olaplex 3 it can dry your hair out. But it's good stuff. I have no.0,3,4,5,6,7 at home

stardust lady
March 14th, 2021, 11:18 PM

Henna Sooq is great. I've tried Jamila and Red Raj and it's all good. Red Raj stains faster than Jamila if you want to do shorter duration applications. You'll also want to pick up some Aloe powder from them, and mix a tsp or two in with the henna.

Henna will probably make your hair darker over time btw. Red Raj made mine a level or two darker after one three hour application, so just be warned. But henna will thicken the hair, and loosen the curl pattern, and just generally make it shiny and smooth. If you don't care about darkening and color buildup, you can apply all over every time you do it, and your hair will continue to thicken and loosen until it reaches full saturation. I think that Indian women tend to do that with their henna treatments, and since they have naturally dark hair you can't really tell. They also often grow their hair very long, so you have to imagine henna really helps with that. For myself, sort of in the blondette range, I can pretty much just do roots, and the henna bonded to the cortex improves the condition of my hair, but the waxy outside layer is long gone unless I treat my whole head again, which I don't do anymore since it's already too dark. But the texture and condition are pretty much permanently improved for me, despite the fact that I don't do whole head treatments every time.

Oh man, I tried hormonal birth control pills to prevent ovarian cancer about a year ago, and they SUCKED. I felt so freaking bad all the time. It was truly awful. I couldn't even work up to a full dose, they just made me so sick. I am not surprised that it messes up the hair so much. It sounds like you aren't going to be dealing with any hormonal problems now, so I'm sure that things will be much easier this time around. I've found that Evening Primrose Oil supplements are really nice for hormonal balancing btw, if you are into that kind of thing. I get mine from iHerb.com, the brand Now.

MissMuse
March 15th, 2021, 03:22 AM
Hi all long time no chat. I think im almost at shoulder, to be honest I haven't paid any attention to my hair since getting my keratin treatment its still thr best thing I've done. It's wearing out now so will repeat it in a few weeks. I'm not measuring or taking pics this time which has removed a lot of angst for me. I haven't had a cut in 3 months and have no urge to its still in good condition. Hope you're all travelling well on your journey to shoulder ��

Bat
March 15th, 2021, 05:07 AM
Hi all long time no chat. I think im almost at shoulder, to be honest I haven't paid any attention to my hair since getting my keratin treatment its still thr best thing I've done. It's wearing out now so will repeat it in a few weeks. I'm not measuring or taking pics this time which has removed a lot of angst for me. I haven't had a cut in 3 months and have no urge to its still in good condition. Hope you're all travelling well on your journey to shoulder ��

I too got a keratin treatment. It's the best thing I ever did as well, I still got a month until shoulder atleast maybe by mid April or early May, good luck on reaching shoulder. Wish I could stop checking bit it is a habit at this stage

DropStitches
March 15th, 2021, 01:36 PM

Second the henna recommendation (though itís permanent stuff, so also second the Ďstrand testí recommendation before glooping it all over your head!). I think my natural colour is quite similar to yours, and I use straight henna cos I like the red sheen, but in the past Iíve also used henna mixed with indigo (specifically Lush Caca Noir), which came out almost identical to my natural colour. It definitely loosens the curl pattern, but it makes things so shiny and smooth I donít mind.

stardust lady
March 15th, 2021, 08:05 PM
Second the henna recommendation (though it’s permanent stuff, so also second the ‘strand test’ recommendation before glooping it all over your head!). I think my natural colour is quite similar to yours, and I use straight henna cos I like the red sheen, but in the past I’ve also used henna mixed with indigo (specifically Lush Caca Noir), which came out almost identical to my natural colour. It definitely loosens the curl pattern, but it makes things so shiny and smooth I don’t mind.

Just an example for you, InTheCity, about the general state/look/texture of my hair before/after I started using henna/silicones/etc...

before: https://imgur.com/a/MG4JUp1
after: https://imgur.com/a/ZaRbg3V

The first pic is the only one I could find that captures the frizz, since I usually avoided pictures if I was having a frizzy hair day (which was most days). It became much more curly/textured over time, and that picture was 8 years ago, but you can still see some curl trying to form in that matted mess.

In the second pic, taken today, I did CWC (first conditioner suave, second conditioner a coney, protein-y Paul Mitchell), rinsed last conditioner and added a dab of it to my ends, wrapped in a towel for 15 minutes, then combed and rubbed ends in Paul Mitchell super skinny serum (just a silicone serum), blow dried on cold for 5-10 minutes, then added another pump of the serum. I like the way it looks! More windswept than the weird mix of textures that I normally get.

Bat
March 15th, 2021, 09:33 PM
Getting the mullet was the best thing I did I can cut and dye the layers as much as I want and just leave the hemline alone

Bat
March 16th, 2021, 05:42 AM
nvm, no one noticed anyway

Iyashikei
March 16th, 2021, 06:58 AM
Glad to see you're happy with your hair Bat. It looks awesome too.

Bat
March 16th, 2021, 07:04 AM
Thank you! I figure I should have fun with the front while it is in this current style

InTheCity
March 16th, 2021, 06:24 PM
Henna Sooq is great. I've tried Jamila and Red Raj and it's all good. Red Raj stains faster than Jamila if you want to do shorter duration applications. You'll also want to pick up some Aloe powder from them, and mix a tsp or two in with the henna.

Henna will probably make your hair darker over time btw. Red Raj made mine a level or two darker after one three hour application, so just be warned. But henna will thicken the hair, and loosen the curl pattern, and just generally make it shiny and smooth. If you don't care about darkening and color buildup, you can apply all over every time you do it, and your hair will continue to thicken and loosen until it reaches full saturation. I think that Indian women tend to do that with their henna treatments, and since they have naturally dark hair you can't really tell. They also often grow their hair very long, so you have to imagine henna really helps with that. For myself, sort of in the blondette range, I can pretty much just do roots, and the henna bonded to the cortex improves the condition of my hair, but the waxy outside layer is long gone unless I treat my whole head again, which I don't do anymore since it's already too dark. But the texture and condition are pretty much permanently improved for me, despite the fact that I don't do whole head treatments every time.

Oh man, I tried hormonal birth control pills to prevent ovarian cancer about a year ago, and they SUCKED. I felt so freaking bad all the time. It was truly awful. I couldn't even work up to a full dose, they just made me so sick. I am not surprised that it messes up the hair so much. It sounds like you aren't going to be dealing with any hormonal problems now, so I'm sure that things will be much easier this time around. I've found that Evening Primrose Oil supplements are really nice for hormonal balancing btw, if you are into that kind of thing. I get mine from iHerb.com, the brand Now.

Oh man, thank you so much for the details. I went to the Henna Sooq website and admittedly I got a litter overwhelmed. I don't have much spare time these days so the type of research I'd usually do for something like this isn't happening right now. I did see that there's a 15 minute video consultation option. Everything except the color sounds perfect for my hair goals so I'll probably go for it when I have a little more time to plan.

Second the henna recommendation (though it’s permanent stuff, so also second the ‘strand test’ recommendation before glooping it all over your head!). I think my natural colour is quite similar to yours, and I use straight henna cos I like the red sheen, but in the past I’ve also used henna mixed with indigo (specifically Lush Caca Noir), which came out almost identical to my natural colour. It definitely loosens the curl pattern, but it makes things so shiny and smooth I don’t mind.

Thank you! The part indigo is what I need to do more research on. I don't mind a slightly red sheen but I don't think I'm ready for a full on color change.

Just an example for you, InTheCity, about the general state/look/texture of my hair before/after I started using henna/silicones/etc...

before: https://imgur.com/a/MG4JUp1
after: https://imgur.com/a/ZaRbg3V

The first pic is the only one I could find that captures the frizz, since I usually avoided pictures if I was having a frizzy hair day (which was most days). It became much more curly/textured over time, and that picture was 8 years ago, but you can still see some curl trying to form in that matted mess.

In the second pic, taken today, I did CWC (first conditioner suave, second conditioner a coney, protein-y Paul Mitchell), rinsed last conditioner and added a dab of it to my ends, wrapped in a towel for 15 minutes, then combed and rubbed ends in Paul Mitchell super skinny serum (just a silicone serum), blow dried on cold for 5-10 minutes, then added another pump of the serum. I like the way it looks! More windswept than the weird mix of textures that I normally get.

Wow - again - thank you! For taking the time to show me your before and after. Your current hair is amazing! It's a gorgeous color and the texture/condition looks amazing. I'm a little worried about using pure henna for color purposes. I'd love a brown with a slight redness but definitely not a vibrant red. So I probably need to figure out the mixing of henna with something for dark but I'm not sure how to go about that. Goes back to my need to do a deep dive. I did come across some more commercial looking henna webites that appear to sell it already in a specific color set.

stardust lady
March 16th, 2021, 09:40 PM
Oh man, thank you so much for the details. I went to the Henna Sooq website and admittedly I got a litter overwhelmed. I don't have much spare time these days so the type of research I'd usually do for something like this isn't happening right now. I did see that there's a 15 minute video consultation option. Everything except the color sounds perfect for my hair goals so I'll probably go for it when I have a little more time to plan.

Thank you! The part indigo is what I need to do more research on. I don't mind a slightly red sheen but I don't think I'm ready for a full on color change.

Wow - again - thank you! For taking the time to show me your before and after. Your current hair is amazing! It's a gorgeous color and the texture/condition looks amazing. I'm a little worried about using pure henna for color purposes. I'd love a brown with a slight redness but definitely not a vibrant red. So I probably need to figure out the mixing of henna with something for dark but I'm not sure how to go about that. Goes back to my need to do a deep dive. I did come across some more commercial looking henna webites that appear to sell it already in a specific color set.

In that case I'd recommend checking out Nightblooming on Etsy. She does custom blends and you can shoot her a message and let her know about your hair and what you're looking for. It's definitely possible to just stay brown, go black, or get a slightly reddish brown with henna, indigo, alma, etc. She sources her stuff from Henna Sooq I think, so it's all top quality. I used her Fire Genasi for two years and always loved it. The only reason I stopped is because I wanted to try Red Raj, but I hated the dark color on myself. It'll be a long time till I can use Fire Genasi again, since I'm having to back down slowly on the darkness, but it's still my favorite blend. I find that the easiest route because then you don't have to do any research yourself and only have to buy one product.

Also, be warned that if you use indigo you can't lighten or bleach afterwards, until the hair grows out.

EtA: With dark hair, you probably won't get a full color change. You might get a red sheen in the sun, but that's it. Only the silver hairs will really obviously change color. Still good to strand test tho.

GordonMurphella
March 17th, 2021, 03:18 AM
nvm, no one noticed anyway

Come again?

Bat
March 17th, 2021, 03:23 AM
Come again?

don't worry about it, I was getting ahead of myself

InTheCity
March 20th, 2021, 09:19 AM
In that case I'd recommend checking out Nightblooming on Etsy. She does custom blends and you can shoot her a message and let her know about your hair and what you're looking for. It's definitely possible to just stay brown, go black, or get a slightly reddish brown with henna, indigo, alma, etc. She sources her stuff from Henna Sooq I think, so it's all top quality. I used her Fire Genasi for two years and always loved it. The only reason I stopped is because I wanted to try Red Raj, but I hated the dark color on myself. It'll be a long time till I can use Fire Genasi again, since I'm having to back down slowly on the darkness, but it's still my favorite blend. I find that the easiest route because then you don't have to do any research yourself and only have to buy one product.

Also, be warned that if you use indigo you can't lighten or bleach afterwards, until the hair grows out.

EtA: With dark hair, you probably won't get a full color change. You might get a red sheen in the sun, but that's it. Only the silver hairs will really obviously change color. Still good to strand test tho.

You are seriously the best! I'll look at Nightblooming. Since I'm (hopefully) really committing to healthy growth, I won't need or want to lighten/bleach in the next few years. I'm not want to get antsy or seek drastic change.

PS - Found some Suave conditioner and used it yesterday. I laughed out loud at how soft my hair was after it dried. I swore off conditioner a while back because my hair was getting greasy way too quickly but the conditioner was a scapegoat. I'm sure the culprit was a harsh shampoo. I'm now normalized with a less harsh shampoo.

Bat
March 20th, 2021, 05:30 PM
You can always just condition the mid lengths and ends instead of your scalp to avoid future Conditioner grease buildup

InTheCity
March 20th, 2021, 06:33 PM
You can always just condition the mid lengths and ends instead of your scalp to avoid future Conditioner grease buildup

Thanks! That's what I tried this time. My last issue was probably because I used some really strong shampoo. No idea why I even used it. Lesson learned.

stardust lady
March 20th, 2021, 06:37 PM
You are seriously the best! I'll look at Nightblooming. Since I'm (hopefully) really committing to healthy growth, I won't need or want to lighten/bleach in the next few years. I'm not want to get antsy or seek drastic change.

PS - Found some Suave conditioner and used it yesterday. I laughed out loud at how soft my hair was after it dried. I swore off conditioner a while back because my hair was getting greasy way too quickly but the conditioner was a scapegoat. I'm sure the culprit was a harsh shampoo. I'm now normalized with a less harsh shampoo.

Yay! I hope that it ends up working out for you. My hair looks straight up brown in a lot of lighting these days, since there's a lot of henna in it. Normally I'm almost a blonde, so the darkness doesn't totally suit me, but I mention that because you do not have to worry about ending up with bright red hair!

Yes, this. As a general rule, condition from the ears down only. And if you aren't using sulfates, then don't use cones, but I'd still recommend a sulfate shampoo a couple times a month, bare minimum. Once a week would be better. I use one every other day, and since I put conditioner on the hair from ears down (which is only like an inch or two LOL), it never gets dry or frizzy from the shampoo. Then condition again afterwards.

Bat
March 21st, 2021, 10:04 AM
I'm so close to shoulder I can taste it..... Pleeeeease have a random growth spurt so I can't be fully there by My LHC anniversary which is coming up in April!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/754621585465540641/823221693493411860/IMG_22032021_014846_400_x_500_pixel.jpg (I think I might have tipped my head back here.)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/754621585465540641/823225206218162216/IMG_22032021_020248_300_x_300_pixel.jpg

luluj
March 21st, 2021, 10:20 AM
I'm so close to shoulder I can taste it..... Pleeeeease have a random growth spurt so I can't be fully there by My LHC anniversary which is coming up in April!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/754621585465540641/823221693493411860/IMG_22032021_014846_400_x_500_pixel.jpg (I think I might have tipped my head back here.)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/754621585465540641/823225206218162216/IMG_22032021_020248_300_x_300_pixel.jpg

I am sending positive growth vibes across the ocean to you, Bat. :waving:

Bat
March 21st, 2021, 10:24 AM
I am sending positive growth vibes across the ocean to you, Bat. :waving:

Thank you! I'll need them lol my LHC anniversary is April,4th I might miss out though but close!

luluj
March 21st, 2021, 10:28 AM
Thank you! I'll need them lol my LHC anniversary is April,4th I might miss out though but close!

You are welcome! Stay positive, you are getting close.:agree:

stardust lady
March 21st, 2021, 05:19 PM
Looks great Bat! Very smooth, dark, beautiful. That keratin treatment looks like it was such a good choice while you're at this length. Heck, I'm even considering doing one myself. Hopefully you get a growth spurt soon! I always seem to get them in Autumn myself, right as summer is ending. Isn't autumn just starting where you are? :hmm:

Bat
March 21st, 2021, 08:32 PM
Looks great Bat! Very smooth, dark, beautiful. That keratin treatment looks like it was such a good choice while you're at this length. Heck, I'm even considering doing one myself. Hopefully you get a growth spurt soon! I always seem to get them in Autumn myself, right as summer is ending. Isn't autumn just starting where you are? :hmm:

It was the best thing I've ever done getting that treatment, but it's beginning to wear off already which is sad I do recommend it however! And yep just Autumn for me

MissMuse
March 21st, 2021, 09:40 PM
So close Bat!! So proud of you for hanging in there too seeing some nice length now :)

Bat
March 22nd, 2021, 01:01 AM
It's really hard not to even up my weirdly cut ends lol but I'm hoping not to cut my hemline for the rest of this year, thank you!

InTheCity
March 24th, 2021, 04:23 PM
I ordered some henna.... eek!

I'll be totally unlike myself and actually take the time for a strand test to make sure I don't end up with a very red head that doesn't match my complexion. My backup is two small samples of indigo that I'd probably mix into the henna blend if the strand comes out too red.

Eastbound&Down
March 24th, 2021, 06:40 PM
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44845&d=1616512084

Making progress! Slow and steady...

Iyashikei
March 24th, 2021, 09:15 PM
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44845&d=1616512084

Great progress! Also, that looks like the perfect bob to me.

Eastbound&Down
March 24th, 2021, 09:58 PM
Great progress! Also, that looks like the perfect bob to me.

Thanks! Yeah, the stylist I was going to really does a great job.

stardust lady
March 25th, 2021, 12:08 AM
I ordered some henna.... eek!

I'll be totally unlike myself and actually take the time for a strand test to make sure I don't end up with a very red head that doesn't match my complexion. My backup is two small samples of indigo that I'd probably mix into the henna blend if the strand comes out too red.

Awesome!! And good idea on the strand testing. I don't think it'll be bright red at all. My hair has been looking almost straight brunette these days after using Red Raj without any dilution, and I'm naturally like a reddish blondette or light auburn or whatever you want to call it. Even in the sun it sometimes doesn't look all that red. I can't wait to go back to the Fire Genasi mix, which actually made my hair look pretty ginger. I think it will mostly be a matter of whether or not you like the color on your sparkles or not. Dark brunette hair with sparkly bright red strands is drop dead gorgeous IMO. Can't wait to see how it looks if you decide to go for it!

Bat
March 25th, 2021, 07:03 AM

Your hair is so perfect, I'd kill to have hair that natrually straight

Eastbound&Down
March 25th, 2021, 07:32 AM
Your hair is so perfect, I'd kill to have hair that natrually straight

This is straightened hair, my hair is 2b/2c naturally. Its hard to measure at this length with it wavy though.

InTheCity
March 25th, 2021, 12:10 PM
Awesome!! And good idea on the strand testing. I don't think it'll be bright red at all. My hair has been looking almost straight brunette these days after using Red Raj without any dilution, and I'm naturally like a reddish blondette or light auburn or whatever you want to call it. Even in the sun it sometimes doesn't look all that red. I can't wait to go back to the Fire Genasi mix, which actually made my hair look pretty ginger. I think it will mostly be a matter of whether or not you like the color on your sparkles or not. Dark brunette hair with sparkly bright red strands is drop dead gorgeous IMO. Can't wait to see how it looks if you decide to go for it!

The Fire Genasi mix is the one I got actually. From the color charts it closest matched my ideal. But like I said, I also got two 10g samples of indigo so I think if I strand test with FG and find it too red, I think the remaining will work with a roughly 80/20 indigo mix.

I'll definitely share pics :)

InTheCity
March 25th, 2021, 12:17 PM

Wow! Looking great!

And totally agree it's hard to measure 2b/2c hair wavy. Mine is all over the darn place.

Eastbound&Down
March 25th, 2021, 12:19 PM
Wow! Looking great!

And totally agree it's hard to measure 2b/2c hair wavy. Mine is all over the darn place.

Yeah, its pretty but not great for accuracy lol

Bat
March 26th, 2021, 09:05 AM
Oooh!

I have to admit loving my keratin treatment measuring and length checks are so much easier

stardust lady
March 27th, 2021, 05:06 AM
The Fire Genasi mix is the one I got actually. From the color charts it closest matched my ideal. But like I said, I also got two 10g samples of indigo so I think if I strand test with FG and find it too red, I think the remaining will work with a roughly 80/20 indigo mix.

I'll definitely share pics :)

Awesome!! That's my favorite mix ever. I tried a lot of different ones at this point. I think I just needed to experiment before settling down, so to speak. Haha. I still have a couple packets of it in my freezer. I can't wait till I grow this dark stuff out. I didn't expect I would regret using 100% red raj so much, but my hair looks brown and dark and people guess I'm like 10 years older now. I really look terrible with dark hair. I just need it to be light to medium and warm, that's pretty much the only color I can get away with. Fire genasi made it look like a light reddish brown indoors, and actually that color matches my natural color before it went ashy pretty closely, except outdoors it would look ginger. Agh, how I miss it.

Another thing I love about the Fire Genasi is that it keeps the fluffiness in your hair, but also smooths it out. Pure henna made my hair really flat looking on top, but I still retained my waves underneath, so it's a super weird look unless I blow dry it. My natural hair texture is super fluffy (yours seems also to be like that?), which I've realized I actually love on myself compared to straight hair, and that mix makes it look healthy-fluffy instead of frizzy and poufy and frumpy. Can't wait to see how it works out for you!

Eastbound&Down
March 27th, 2021, 08:14 PM
I can feel my hair brushing my shoulders, it'll be soon, another month or two I think!

InTheCity
March 28th, 2021, 04:42 PM
Awesome!! That's my favorite mix ever. I tried a lot of different ones at this point. I think I just needed to experiment before settling down, so to speak. Haha. I still have a couple packets of it in my freezer. I can't wait till I grow this dark stuff out. I didn't expect I would regret using 100% red raj so much, but my hair looks brown and dark and people guess I'm like 10 years older now. I really look terrible with dark hair. I just need it to be light to medium and warm, that's pretty much the only color I can get away with. Fire genasi made it look like a light reddish brown indoors, and actually that color matches my natural color before it went ashy pretty closely, except outdoors it would look ginger. Agh, how I miss it.

Another thing I love about the Fire Genasi is that it keeps the fluffiness in your hair, but also smooths it out. Pure henna made my hair really flat looking on top, but I still retained my waves underneath, so it's a super weird look unless I blow dry it. My natural hair texture is super fluffy (yours seems also to be like that?), which I've realized I actually love on myself compared to straight hair, and that mix makes it look healthy-fluffy instead of frizzy and poufy and frumpy. Can't wait to see how it works out for you!

Yes! I have the frizzy-poufy texture too and if I wear my hair too straight I lose all volume. Years ago I did a keratin treatment and it was awful, like I had no hair at all. I'm really hoping the strand test proves it won't make my dark brown hair too-too red or orange so I can use it as-is instead of mixing in some indigo. My order already shipped so hopefully it gets here soon.

stardust lady
March 28th, 2021, 11:20 PM
Yes! I have the frizzy-poufy texture too and if I wear my hair too straight I lose all volume. Years ago I did a keratin treatment and it was awful, like I had no hair at all. I'm really hoping the strand test proves it won't make my dark brown hair too-too red or orange so I can use it as-is instead of mixing in some indigo. My order already shipped so hopefully it gets here soon.

It's funny, I recently used this app that lets you try on haircuts and colors on a photo of yourself (faceapp I think), and I tried both curly and straight and neither suited me, but the poufy messy wavy texture suited me perfectly. It's funny, I'm only now realizing that my natural hair was the most suited. I'm glad I didn't keep getting Japanese straightening. I suppose the fact that it accidentally got permanently kinked was a good thing. It really made my hair look so thin, and I've always been told how thick my hair is - it's really not that thick, just an illusion caused by the texture. :shrug: I'm now considering adding amla into my henna to preserve curl, which I never thought I would do...

Bat
March 29th, 2021, 12:41 AM
I can feel my hair brushing my shoulders, it'll be soon, another month or two I think!

You could honestly call it before the end of April for sure

Eastbound&Down
March 29th, 2021, 08:44 AM
You could honestly call it before the end of April for sure

I'm going to check it at the end of April or beginning of May and see where it's at. But if I have the same progress as last month I might make it before June. Which would be cool.

Bat
March 29th, 2021, 11:40 AM
my estimate was end of march but I am off in my calculations, end of april I hope myself

InTheCity
March 30th, 2021, 02:39 PM
It's funny, I recently used this app that lets you try on haircuts and colors on a photo of yourself (faceapp I think), and I tried both curly and straight and neither suited me, but the poufy messy wavy texture suited me perfectly. It's funny, I'm only now realizing that my natural hair was the most suited. I'm glad I didn't keep getting Japanese straightening. I suppose the fact that it accidentally got permanently kinked was a good thing. It really made my hair look so thin, and I've always been told how thick my hair is - it's really not that thick, just an illusion caused by the texture. :shrug: I'm now considering adding amla into my henna to preserve curl, which I never thought I would do...

Nature knows!

I did my strand test today. The change is hard to capture in a picture since it's pretty subtle (as I wanted it to be!) but I can definitely see a nice warmth with the fire genasi mix, plus fairly good gray coverage. It's a go for me to do my whole head but I'll wait a couple days to see if I see any changes (and based on my work schedule so I'm not trying to present to my CEO on camera with a towel wrapped around my head.)

InTheCity
March 30th, 2021, 06:30 PM
This is a bit hard to see since it's just a small chunk but inside the red lines is roughly where I did my strand test for a henna blend. I'm a first-timer and very happy how it came out so the next day I have a chance, I'll dye the whole head. Yay!

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44937&d=1617150462

stardust lady
April 1st, 2021, 12:56 AM
This is a bit hard to see since it's just a small chunk but inside the red lines is roughly where I did my strand test for a henna blend. I'm a first-timer and very happy how it came out so the next day I have a chance, I'll dye the whole head. Yay!

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44937&d=1617150462

Yep you have to squint to notice for sure. Yay! Make sure to check it out in direct sun too, just to make sure you don't mind if it has a warm glow. I think it looks awesome to have a nice warmth in your hair! How long did you leave it on for?

InTheCity
April 1st, 2021, 05:02 PM
Yep you have to squint to notice for sure. Yay! Make sure to check it out in direct sun too, just to make sure you don't mind if it has a warm glow. I think it looks awesome to have a nice warmth in your hair! How long did you leave it on for?

I did it! I did my whole head. The miracle is that I didn't stain my skin, clothes, the towel or turbie wrap I used around my head or make a mess of my house. The last time I tried to dye my own hair was 15+ years ago.

I had left the test in for 2.5 hours I think. Lost track a bit. Today the whole head was left on for just about 2 hours exactly because I had a meeting. But that's 2 hours from when I finished and wrapped it up, so there was mud in my top hair for a bit longer.

Considering my novice status I'm really happy with the coverage I managed to get. I know covering grays requires perfect application and that's just not realistic at home but I got pretty close.

stardust lady
April 6th, 2021, 12:39 AM
I did it! I did my whole head. The miracle is that I didn't stain my skin, clothes, the towel or turbie wrap I used around my head or make a mess of my house. The last time I tried to dye my own hair was 15+ years ago.

I had left the test in for 2.5 hours I think. Lost track a bit. Today the whole head was left on for just about 2 hours exactly because I had a meeting. But that's 2 hours from when I finished and wrapped it up, so there was mud in my top hair for a bit longer.

Considering my novice status I'm really happy with the coverage I managed to get. I know covering grays requires perfect application and that's just not realistic at home but I got pretty close.

I leave mine on for 2 hours as well. Did you decide to mix in the indigo or no? Have you had a chance to take any pics? How does it look outside? And most importantly... How has the texture and feeling of your hair changed? I'm curious because I didn't do a full on henna until after I chopped off a foot of hair. I had always left on a 30% mix for less than an hour prior to that, so the texture wasn't really impacted.

My hair is getting closer to shoulder, almost there, and boy is the nape curly. Just huge loops all over. But it seems smoother and looser than it was pre-henna. Still, I think using henna doesn't mean you can get away with not deep conditioning.

Also, I had to get just the front layers trimmed the other day, just a couple inches since they are stick straight and appear to grow faster than the rest of my hair. I asked the hair dresser if she has seen mixed textures like mine on a lot of people, and she said she has. I asked how should it be styled, and she said round brush and blow dry, or curling iron, or flat iron. She said air drying doesn't work. Sadly this has been my experience... I've started blow drying on the lowest temp and wind speed. Looks better, but I found myself considering a relaxing treatment...

Anyways I'm glad the henna is working out! Since you have dark hair you won't have to worry much about roots either! What was your method for applying it? Sorry for all the questions lol.

Bat
April 6th, 2021, 05:39 AM
I'm impatient so I'm just going ahead and calling shoulder I'm basically 5-7mm shy of it, can I call it is good enough for me

I merged two photos together of today and the last time I got so close it was super hard to align them z

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/754621585465540641/828954160933240862/IMG_06042021_212745_600_x_700_pixel.jpg

Iyashikei
April 6th, 2021, 05:50 AM
I'm impatient so I'm just going ahead and calling shoulder I'm basically 5-7mm shy of it, can I call it is good enough for me

I merged two photos together of today and the last time I got so close it was super hard to align them z

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/754621585465540641/828954160933240862/IMG_06042021_212745_600_x_700_pixel.jpg

Congrats! It will be a while before I follow in your footsteps but I'm happy for you (totally not jealous, I swear)

Bat
April 6th, 2021, 06:03 AM
I'll still be here as well until I'm more solidly there so I'll be keeping you company here a little longer

Eastbound&Down
April 6th, 2021, 06:19 AM
I'll still be here as well until I'm more solidly there so I'll be keeping you company here a little longer

Wait.. are you calling it or waiting?

Bat
April 6th, 2021, 06:25 AM
Wait.. are you calling it or waiting?

Calling it but I'm still lurking here too until more hairs reach it

Eastbound&Down
April 6th, 2021, 06:25 AM
Calling it but I'm still lurking here too until more hairs reach it

Ah, gotcha. Well, congrats!

Bat
April 6th, 2021, 06:28 AM
Ah, gotcha. Well, congrats! thanks! It's kind of exciting now I can relax a while and hopefully be less manic... Well until I get closer to CBL then watch me go crazy again

Eastbound&Down
April 6th, 2021, 10:59 AM
thanks! It's kind of exciting now I can relax a while and hopefully be less manic... Well until I get closer to CBL then watch me go crazy again

I'm thinking I might get there by the end of the month or maybe in May. I'm less anxious about it this time around, just enjoying taking care of it and getting it to the color I want it.

Bat
April 6th, 2021, 03:56 PM
I'm thinking I might get there by the end of the month or maybe in May. I'm less anxious about it this time around, just enjoying taking care of it and getting it to the color I want it.

What Color are you wanting?

Eastbound&Down
April 6th, 2021, 06:11 PM
What Color are you wanting?

I'm trying to perfect this ash blonde color, but my hair tends to pull red. I'm also avoiding dying the length of my hair and focusing on the roots until it's a little longer.

Bat
April 6th, 2021, 06:48 PM
I'm trying to perfect this ash blonde color, but my hair tends to pull red. I'm also avoiding dying the length of my hair and focusing on the roots until it's a little longer.

Nice! I also want to go a pretty light blond but not touching my already dyed length so I need a good deal of regrowth to get a reverse ombre look so have to deal with ugly hair a while

Eastbound&Down
April 6th, 2021, 08:03 PM
Nice! I also want to go a pretty light blond but not touching my already dyed length so I need a good deal of regrowth to get a reverse ombre look so have to deal with ugly hair a while

Yeah, I had bleached it and dyed it purple about a year ago, and once the purple faded out decided I liked the lighter color over my brown so I've stuck with it. I may fiddle around with some natural lightening methods just for fun this summer.

Bat
April 7th, 2021, 12:16 AM
Yeah, I had bleached it and dyed it purple about a year ago, and once the purple faded out decided I liked the lighter color over my brown so I've stuck with it. I may fiddle around with some natural lightening methods just for fun this summer.

I'm wanting the blond since it's easier to change colors even if I want dark because of semi permanents like manic panic but going black to light with a permanent black in kills it Soo much

InTheCity
April 7th, 2021, 07:28 AM
I leave mine on for 2 hours as well. Did you decide to mix in the indigo or no? Have you had a chance to take any pics? How does it look outside? And most importantly... How has the texture and feeling of your hair changed? I'm curious because I didn't do a full on henna until after I chopped off a foot of hair. I had always left on a 30% mix for less than an hour prior to that, so the texture wasn't really impacted.

My hair is getting closer to shoulder, almost there, and boy is the nape curly. Just huge loops all over. But it seems smoother and looser than it was pre-henna. Still, I think using henna doesn't mean you can get away with not deep conditioning.

Also, I had to get just the front layers trimmed the other day, just a couple inches since they are stick straight and appear to grow faster than the rest of my hair. I asked the hair dresser if she has seen mixed textures like mine on a lot of people, and she said she has. I asked how should it be styled, and she said round brush and blow dry, or curling iron, or flat iron. She said air drying doesn't work. Sadly this has been my experience... I've started blow drying on the lowest temp and wind speed. Looks better, but I found myself considering a relaxing treatment...

Anyways I'm glad the henna is working out! Since you have dark hair you won't have to worry much about roots either! What was your method for applying it? Sorry for all the questions lol.

Hey, I know this took a while to respond. Pic attached (I think) but I can't figure out how to make pictures smaller. Apologies for that. (Edit: and sideways?! Grr.)

I didn't mix the indigo as Fire Genasi was perfect on my dark brown and fun to see as golden sparkles on my grays. Texture didn't seem to change much but each "wash" since (the henna rinse, a CO wash, and one regular wash) my hair has dried nicely. Part of it is it's finally long enough for my preferred drying method of clipping back smooth but the ends stay out to curl. The other part is hopefully that the henna calmed down the frizz a bit. But that's still anecdotal. It definitely didn't change my nape ringlets or front of head wave.

Sounds like we have very similar hair. My front is long too. Can pull down to touch past my collarbone. I'm just about ready to call it shoulder on the whole. Between no hormonal changes, viviscal, and no blow dryer or flat iron, I'm getting cautiously optimistic that I might actually get the hair of my dreams. (APL-BSL and with a thick hemline... so very reasonable dreams.)

To apply - and note I'm a total novice that hasn't dyed myself in 15+ years - I started with the crown of my head and basically covered a small section in mud from root to tip then made a bun. Then picked a section adjacent to it and added to the bun. So on until most of my hair was on top of my head and the front/back/sides were just mudded and piled up the mini beehive. I had used vaseline around my head and ears, covered with a disposable shower cap then a little plastic wrap, then a small towel. Finally, my turbie drying thing, which I didn't want to stain. Miraculously neither towel nor turbie stained, and nothing in my house either. That's the real miracle because I'm a klutz.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45004&d=1617802054

InTheCity
April 7th, 2021, 07:32 AM
@Bat - Congrats on reaching shoulder! I'm still having a lot of trouble determining when I should call it. When I first came back to this site/thread (after many years!) I thought I'd be able to call it by late December. Meanwhile my hair just kept growing out rather than down. Good in my case because I need the volume.

I'm still a little sad that this all stared with a cut in October that I said to "cut to my shoulders" and it's now 6 months later. But I try to remember my hair was pathetic and needed a huge chop. (Note to self: no more babies!)

Bat
April 8th, 2021, 05:57 AM
@Bat - Congrats on reaching shoulder! I'm still having a lot of trouble determining when I should call it. When I first came back to this site/thread (after many years!) I thought I'd be able to call it by late December. Meanwhile my hair just kept growing out rather than down. Good in my case because I need the volume.

I'm still a little sad that this all stared with a cut in October that I said to "cut to my shoulders" and it's now 6 months later. But I try to remember my hair was pathetic and needed a huge chop. (Note to self: no more babies!)

I'm honestly calling it too soon I think, today it looks shorter than it did yesterday, But you can call it when you feel comfortable I think, I remember you posted a photo of shrinkage and that streached was past collarbone, so if you go by stretched length, then you are already a chin to shoulder graduate

Iyashikei
April 8th, 2021, 08:20 PM
Hmm, my shortesr layers seem shorter than I thought. Now they only come to mid neck length when dry. Very annoying though because the longest ones are approaching APL when wet already.

Bat
April 8th, 2021, 08:37 PM
Hmm, my shortesr layers seem shorter than I thought. Now they only come to mid neck length when dry. Very annoying though because the longest ones are approaching APL when wet already.

Why not graduate with your longest layers?

If I went by my shortest parts I'd be in pixie stage still!

stardust lady
April 9th, 2021, 01:03 AM
Hey, I know this took a while to respond. Pic attached (I think) but I can't figure out how to make pictures smaller. Apologies for that. (Edit: and sideways?! Grr.)

I didn't mix the indigo as Fire Genasi was perfect on my dark brown and fun to see as golden sparkles on my grays. Texture didn't seem to change much but each "wash" since (the henna rinse, a CO wash, and one regular wash) my hair has dried nicely. Part of it is it's finally long enough for my preferred drying method of clipping back smooth but the ends stay out to curl. The other part is hopefully that the henna calmed down the frizz a bit. But that's still anecdotal. It definitely didn't change my nape ringlets or front of head wave.

Sounds like we have very similar hair. My front is long too. Can pull down to touch past my collarbone. I'm just about ready to call it shoulder on the whole. Between no hormonal changes, viviscal, and no blow dryer or flat iron, I'm getting cautiously optimistic that I might actually get the hair of my dreams. (APL-BSL and with a thick hemline... so very reasonable dreams.)

To apply - and note I'm a total novice that hasn't dyed myself in 15+ years - I started with the crown of my head and basically covered a small section in mud from root to tip then made a bun. Then picked a section adjacent to it and added to the bun. So on until most of my hair was on top of my head and the front/back/sides were just mudded and piled up the mini beehive. I had used vaseline around my head and ears, covered with a disposable shower cap then a little plastic wrap, then a small towel. Finally, my turbie drying thing, which I didn't want to stain. Miraculously neither towel nor turbie stained, and nothing in my house either. That's the real miracle because I'm a klutz.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45004&d=1617802054

Oh my god, that looks so good!! That made a huge difference! The entire quality of your hair has changed. Man, I am just dearly looking forward to the day I have all Fire Genasi on my head again. I'm still slowly backing down from 100% Red Raj, it's gonna be a while. There's just something so stunning about the golden tones.

I have actually never tried the bun method. I try a new root application method like every month tho, and I still haven't found one that I'm in love with. It's always a struggle lol.

Glad to hear that you are feeling good about your hair again! The henna will make it easier to grow for sure - it keeps the strands really strong and smooth.

My hair is almost shoulder when wet and pulled straight. But when dry? Also appears to just keep growing out. When I comb it after washing and before styling, the flip-out is extreme. The awkward phase never ends. I'd kill it at a 50s themed party though.

Iyashikei
April 9th, 2021, 05:39 AM
Why not graduate with your longest layers?

If I went by my shortest parts I'd be in pixie stage still!
Because first thing I'll do when I can get to the hairdresser is to even it out. I'm tired of my layers because I can't keep a hairstyle to stay put the entire day (you try braiding with such severe layers) and my ends look like war veterans by now.

Bat
April 9th, 2021, 06:35 AM
Because first thing I'll do when I can get to the hairdresser is to even it out. I'm tired of my layers because I can't keep a hairstyle to stay put the entire day (you try braiding with such severe layers) and my ends look like war veterans by now.

That's fair enough, I can do a low ponytail. But that's it because of the mullet I cut in

Eastbound&Down
April 9th, 2021, 07:29 AM
I'm so close to being able to call it, it almost hurts lol patience, Eastbound, patience! Also, the idea of knee-length has again begun to creep in. I'm trying in vain to keep my goal at shorter lengths for now, but the allure is definitely there.

Bat
April 9th, 2021, 07:47 AM
I'm so close to being able to call it, it almost hurts lol patience, Eastbound, patience! Also, the idea of knee-length has again begun to creep in. I'm trying in vain to keep my goal at shorter lengths for now, but the allure is definitely there.

Uses the Bat force,knee knee!

Eastbound&Down
April 9th, 2021, 09:52 PM
I'm there when it is wet and brushed! How exciting!

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45025&d=1618026704

stardust lady
April 9th, 2021, 11:53 PM
I'm there when it is wet and brushed! How exciting!

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45025&d=1618026704

Ooh I love that color. Also I think I'm at the same length too! I'm gonna wait to call it shoulder once it gets there dry though. What about you?

Bat
April 10th, 2021, 05:45 AM
Looks like I'll have more company in the other topic soon

Eastbound&Down
April 10th, 2021, 07:00 AM
Ooh I love that color. Also I think I'm at the same length too! I'm gonna wait to call it shoulder once it gets there dry though. What about you?

Oh, I'm still waiting till I'm there dry, it was just fun to see

Eastbound&Down
April 10th, 2021, 02:35 PM
My curiosity got the better of me and I decide to semi-straighten and check now that my hair is dry... and I think.. I think I might call it. What do you think?

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45030&d=1618086791

Bat
April 10th, 2021, 03:24 PM
My curiosity got the better of me and I decide to semi-straighten and check now that my hair is dry... and I think.. I think I might call it. What do you think?

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45030&d=1618086791

I'd call it it looks Shoulder to me

Iyashikei
April 10th, 2021, 10:35 PM

You are definitely there when straightened.

stardust lady
April 11th, 2021, 12:05 AM

Yep shoulder for sure. Yay!

Eastbound&Down
April 11th, 2021, 06:49 AM
You are definitely there when straightened.

Yep shoulder for sure. Yay!

Thanks! I went ahead and called it!

draysmir
April 12th, 2021, 12:00 PM

It looks shoulder length to me. Congratulations! :D

InTheCity
April 12th, 2021, 04:06 PM
@Eastbound&Down - You can definitely call it!

I've decided it's time for me to call it too. I hadn't posted these because they uploaded sideways but here's me 2 weeks ago - about 18" when gathered together (aka not puffy)

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44935&d=1617150428

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44936&d=1617150446

Bat
April 13th, 2021, 07:43 AM
@Eastbound&Down - You can definitely call it!

I've decided it's time for me to call it too. I hadn't posted these because they uploaded sideways but here's me 2 weeks ago - about 18" when gathered together (aka not puffy)

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44935&d=1617150428

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44936&d=1617150446

Congratulations!

MissMuse
April 15th, 2021, 12:18 AM
I forgot to check my hair for a few weeks (thanks life) and I'm at collarbone. Whoohoo !!

Bat
April 15th, 2021, 10:32 AM
I forgot to check my hair for a few weeks (thanks life) and I'm at collarbone. Whoohoo !!

Congrats! Join us in Shoulder to apl!

Iyashikei
April 15th, 2021, 08:25 PM

Congratulations!

Lainey
April 17th, 2021, 04:02 AM
Hi All, I’d like to join this thread please. In April last year I cut a pixie. After several hem line trims to get rid of a lot of layers, it is now thick enough to grow longer. I reckon another 2 inches will be true shoulder on me. So I anticipate a summer stay here. I’ll post a picture of the back in my profile shots in the next couple of days. I’m not trimming until October at the earliest.

Lainey
April 17th, 2021, 04:03 AM
Hi All, I’d like to join this thread please. In April last year I cut a pixie. After several hem line trims to get rid of a lot of layers, it is now thick enough to grow longer. I reckon another 2 inches will be true shoulder on me. So I anticipate a summer stay here. I’ve posted a picture of the back in my album shots. One is from last May and one from this month. I’m not trimming until October at the earliest.

Iyashikei
April 17th, 2021, 12:29 PM
Hi All, I’d like to join this thread please. In April last year I cut a pixie. After several hem line trims to get rid of a lot of layers, it is now thick enough to grow longer. I reckon another 2 inches will be true shoulder on me. So I anticipate a summer stay here. I’ll post a picture of the back in my profile shots in the next couple of days. I’m not trimming until October at the earliest.

Welcome! Here's to healthy growing hair.

Bat
May 5th, 2021, 07:09 AM
@Iyashikei you must be almost Shoulder length now?

Thought I'd drop in to see how things are going, since most graduated to the next thread.

Iyashikei
May 5th, 2021, 09:48 AM
@Iyashikei you must be almost Shoulder length now?

Thought I'd drop in to see how things are going, since most graduated to the next thread.

Almost. Going for a trim tomorrow to even things out and then see how long I still need to grow. My ends are a warzone.

I was wondering why this thread was so quiet!

Bat
May 5th, 2021, 04:15 PM
Almost. Going for a trim tomorrow to even things out and then see how long I still need to grow. My ends are a warzone.

I was wondering why this thread was so quiet!
Hopefully you won't have long to go after your trim, it will be nice to see you with us in the next topic!

strawberryfine
May 20th, 2021, 12:45 PM
Hi to everyone in this journey! I would like to join this thread. Currently I'm not even chin length, more like back-hairline length, blunt cut with the exception of growing out bangs/fringe and growing out undercut sides. Arrghh! This is taking FOREVER!
I'm an old member returning. I had waist length, all one length hair. I colored it, hated it and subsequently destroyed it with multiple applications of color remover. And then I cut it. Right now in addition to growing out undercut sides and bangs, I'm letting some color grow off as well.
I guess I said all that just to say I could really use some support and encouragement at this point. Thanks for letting me rant and vent. I feel better 😌now!

Bat
May 20th, 2021, 03:15 PM
Hi to everyone in this journey! I would like to join this thread. Currently I'm not even chin length, more like back-hairline length, blunt cut with the exception of growing out bangs/fringe and growing out undercut sides. Arrghh! This is taking FOREVER!
I'm an old member returning. I had waist length, all one length hair. I colored it, hated it and subsequently destroyed it with multiple applications of color remover. And then I cut it. Right now in addition to growing out undercut sides and bangs, I'm letting some color grow off as well.
I guess I said all that just to say I could really use some support and encouragement at this point. Thanks for letting me rant and vent. I feel better 😌now!
This topic is pretty quiet atm I'm between here and the next topic myself good luck and happy growing!

Kathie
July 7th, 2021, 08:27 PM
It really is quiet over here.

I thought I would add a photo of my current length and my favourite updo. Its held with 2 spin-pins and 3 clips (one hidden behind the ends). I'm excited to wear it in a way that's not a pony-tail!

The length photo is just after taking it out of the twist. So its not sitting straight. But it will do for future length comparisons.

In the past I have had the most success with growing my hair when I wear it up all the time. So Im happy to have this peacock twist as a go to.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45539&d=1625710703

Bat
July 7th, 2021, 09:58 PM
The last of us moved to the next topic thereís some in buzz to chin but they seem to be in the beginning length wise, your hair is looking super shiny

Kathie
July 7th, 2021, 11:06 PM
The last of us moved to the next topic there’s some in buzz to chin but they seem to be in the beginning length wise, your hair is looking super shiny
Thanks. I've been using shampoo bars with a pea size amount of conditioner in the length below my ears. I've found that I don't need to do a ACV rinse with the water here.

Im sure there will be other chin to shoulders about.

Bat
July 8th, 2021, 05:06 AM
Hopefully! It will be pretty lonely here otherwise

SwanFeathers
July 9th, 2021, 02:12 PM
anybody mind if I join in here? I didn't find a jaw/ear thread.

Kathie
July 9th, 2021, 04:32 PM
Please feel free! And welcome.

Bat
July 9th, 2021, 05:33 PM
anybody mind if I join in here? I didn't find a jaw/ear thread.
There is a buzz to chin topic :D

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=153692

Kathie
July 10th, 2021, 11:40 PM
I've unlocked another updo. Well, its still a peacock twist (or half a cinna-bun depending on how you look at it)- but its held with sticks!

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45551&d=1625980467

I couldnt get this to hold with straight sticks... but some ketylos have done the trick! I think its because they don't slide in- they screw in. So perhaps it sews the sticks into my hair. Or perhaps being corkscrew shaped they're not as slippery.

But, I can feel this might not last all day. So not a style I would plan to jump around in. However, its been up like this for an hour or so :knit:

Also, I still need a little claw clip to hold the nape hairs that don't make it in. I think it will be a couple of months before they are contained.

Im excited :happydance:- its nice to have another option!

JasminxCat
July 11th, 2021, 12:50 AM
I've unlocked another updo. Well, its still a peacock twist (or half a cinna-bun depending on how you look at it)- but its held with sticks!

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45551&d=1625980467

I couldnt get this to hold with straight sticks... but some ketylos have done the trick! I think its because they don't slide in- they screw in. So perhaps it sews the sticks into my hair. Or perhaps being corkscrew shaped they're not as slippery.

But, I can feel this might not last all day. So not a style I would plan to jump around in. However, its been up like this for an hour or so :knit:

Also, I still need a little claw clip to hold the nape hairs that don't make it in. I think it will be a couple of months before they are contained.

Im excited :happydance:- its nice to have another option!

How exciting. Impressive you were able to get it to hold. It looks great

Kathie
July 11th, 2021, 02:44 AM
How exciting. Impressive you were able to get it to hold. It looks great

Thanks! I was definitely pleasantly surprised that its holding.

paper
July 20th, 2021, 09:18 AM
Hi everyone! :waving: I started growing my hair in January. I tried to grow my hair a few years ago, but was always dealing with dye, and my biggest obstacle was embracing my grays :cool:. I've been wearing my hair chin length with layers. You can see the progress in my pictures. The first is from January and the second one is recent. I finally got all my layers trimmed off :happydance:. I've been looking through this thread, and I now have some ideas for updos!

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=43944&d=1609864653

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45592&d=1626471716

Kathie
July 20th, 2021, 04:29 PM
Paper what beautiful silvers hair you have! Your hair looks lovely at all one length too. Happy growing!

Bat
July 20th, 2021, 09:23 PM
Paper, your hair is a remarkable colour looks pretty sleek too

paper
July 21st, 2021, 06:36 AM
Thanks Kathie & Bat! I finally like my silvers too. :D I'm enjoying the one length too. Finally able to pull it back.

P.S. My signature picture is from a long time ago. I need to get a new one!

Kathie
July 22nd, 2021, 04:05 PM
Im hovering just above shoulder when wet.

As you can see collarbone and SL are pretty much the same thing on me. Also it will lift an inch or so when it dries.

But soon!

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45643&d=1626990602

Bat
July 24th, 2021, 05:18 AM
That almost shoulder stage seeme to take forever

Eastbound&Down
July 24th, 2021, 06:08 AM
Im hovering just above shoulder when wet.

As you can see collarbone and SL are pretty much the same thing on me. Also it will lift an inch or so when it dries.

But soon!

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45643&d=1626990602

SL and CBL are very close together on me as well, you will get there soon enough! This stage can be rough when growing out.

paper
July 24th, 2021, 08:39 AM
Kathie You are getting there! Won't be long now. :cool:

Kathie
July 24th, 2021, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the encouragement! Its not too bad a length, light and quick ponytails, easy to move around.

It also seems to be growing fast. I won't know my growth rate for a few months though, I like to call it after at least 3 measurements.

Kathie
July 28th, 2021, 04:53 PM
Peacock twist today!

I think that is a random gray hair sticking out from the twist. As you can see, I'm still using bobby-pins at the side to hold the pieces that are a touch to short to make it in.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45681&d=1627512448

I think I will be leaving soon. I will call SL at 18 or 18.5.

Bat
July 28th, 2021, 08:54 PM
It looks like a,pet hair that got stuck over a grey hair

Kathie
July 28th, 2021, 09:59 PM
It looks like a,pet hair that got stuck over a grey hair

It does look like a pet hair, except both my cats are black :confused:

paper
July 29th, 2021, 05:55 AM
Kathie, That is a cute style! I have been trying to wear my hair like that. It's not quite long enough yet. I have started wearing half ups. :cool:

Bat
July 29th, 2021, 07:55 AM
It does look like a pet hair, except both my cats are black :confused:

Well that's awkward lool

Kathie
July 29th, 2021, 02:34 PM
Well that's awkward lool

Lol.

I'm fairly confident it was a gray. I only have a couple- they often have a really different texture.

Bat
July 30th, 2021, 04:56 AM
Lol.

I'm fairly confident it was a gray. I only have a couple- they often have a really different texture.

I have lots of greys at my temples from the bald sides I had at the start of the month, I'm due for a month progress shot, 2 more days

chachagrace
August 5th, 2021, 04:52 PM
I think I finally belong here.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45726&d=1628203421
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45727&d=1628203437

Kathie
August 5th, 2021, 08:02 PM
Welcome! I just had a quick look at your hair growth album, you've been on a journey! In your most recent picture, your hair looks really full and voluminous.

Its pretty quiet here. I thought I would be leaving this month but my monthly length check shows otherwise.

Im glad to have someone to grow with.

Cross posting from the 2021 monthly photo thread.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45728&d=1628210583

paper
August 6th, 2021, 09:02 AM
chachagrace, Welcome :waving:

Kathie, Love your waves. Can't wait to see it longer!

I have about an inch to go before hitting my shoulders, so close!

chachagrace
August 6th, 2021, 03:29 PM
Kathie thanks! I washed my hair today and now the waves are poppin:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45731&d=1628257484
I’m regretting the highlights I had put in when I was bored though :(
paper thanks! How exciting to be that close to shoulder!

Kathie
August 6th, 2021, 04:06 PM
chachagrace, Welcome :waving:

Kathie, Love your waves. Can't wait to see it longer!

I have about an inch to go before hitting my shoulders, so close!

Paper! Sorry I didn't mean to imply that you weren't here in my above post I should have said "Im happy to have more people to grow with". Sorry :blossom:

Thank you! I'm excited to see my waves come back.

And you're so close! Not long now :knit:

Kathie thanks! I washed my hair today and now the waves are poppin:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45731&d=1628257484
Iím regretting the highlights I had put in when I was bored though :(
paper thanks! How exciting to be that close to shoulder!

They sure are :D So much volume- its awesome!

paper
August 7th, 2021, 09:36 AM
Kathie, :blossom: No problem! It is quiet here. Sounds like we will be moving on about the same time! :D

chachagrace, Your hair looks amazing!

Kathie
August 26th, 2021, 11:00 PM
Cross posting from the Show Me Your Buns thread... I'm very close to a clean cinnabun. I think another inch will mean I dont need a mini claw clip.

I might still be here when that happens! As my hair is growing widthways more than down at the moment.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45838&d=1630039563

Kathie
September 9th, 2021, 06:40 PM
Its time for me to go. I'm brushing SL when dry.

I've been above SL for over a year. Its been fun at this length though! Most of my adult life I've had hair below SL so its been a nice light and breezy change.

Bat
September 11th, 2021, 05:52 PM
Congrats! It looks beautiful

Kathie
September 12th, 2021, 05:30 AM
Congrats! It looks beautiful

Thanks Bat!

chachagrace
September 22nd, 2021, 11:18 AM
Its time for me to go. I'm brushing SL when dry.

I've been above SL for over a year. Its been fun at this length though! Most of my adult life I've had hair below SL so its been a nice light and breezy change.

It looks amazing, I’m excited for you!!

chachagrace
September 22nd, 2021, 11:23 AM
My hair growing! Good, but it ends up like this by midday everyday. I can’t wait until I can throw it all up in a proper bun!
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46000&d=1632331173

DropStitches
September 22nd, 2021, 02:50 PM
My hair growing! Good, but it ends up like this by midday everyday. I can’t wait until I can throw it all up in a proper bun!
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46000&d=1632331173

Hey, this little top knot is super cute!

0xalis
January 20th, 2022, 05:14 PM
Wow this thread is super dead. Well either way, I'm hanging out with this crowd for the foreseeable future! Might be here a loooong time, as I'm not sure for how long I'm gonna need short hair for the convenience! Once everything has settled down more I'll probably start growing on purpose again.

Bat
January 20th, 2022, 09:43 PM
Wow this thread is super dead. Well either way, I'm hanging out with this crowd for the foreseeable future! Might be here a loooong time, as I'm not sure for how long I'm gonna need short hair for the convenience! Once everything has settled down more I'll probably start growing on purpose again.

Yep no one is here yet us new growers are still in Buzz to Chin :D

DropStitches
January 20th, 2022, 11:26 PM

I think chin to shoulder is a lovely, flattering length - I hope youíll really enjoy it.

Alexandrina
January 21st, 2022, 11:49 PM
I think chin to shoulder is a lovely, flattering length - I hope you’ll really enjoy it.

Agreed, tons of ways to style that length

Abacus
January 26th, 2022, 12:39 PM
Hey! I think I belong here...I have 3b/3c hair that shrinks up. Right now the back is at chin length when dry. I like to measure my hair unstretched, because that's how I exist with it. If I look in the mirror, it's giving "chin-length" even though when it's wet it does touch the top of my shoulders. It won't look shoulder length for a while...except I have a very short neck so it might not be that long.
Anyway, I'm a new member to the forum and excited to be here!

https://i.postimg.cc/rFNQPq6C/IMG-20220125-112420301.jpg

DropStitches
January 27th, 2022, 09:34 AM
Hey! I think I belong here...I have 3b/3c hair that shrinks up. Right now the back is at chin length when dry. I like to measure my hair unstretched, because that's how I exist with it. If I look in the mirror, it's giving "chin-length" even though when it's wet it does touch the top of my shoulders. It won't look shoulder length for a while...except I have a very short neck so it might not be that long.
Anyway, I'm a new member to the forum and excited to be here!

Welcome to the forum - you have gorgeous hair! I envy your perfect spirals

Abacus
February 2nd, 2022, 01:46 PM
Welcome to the forum - you have gorgeous hair! I envy your perfect spirals

Thank you for the welcome DropStitches!

I took a second look at my hair length, and I'm realizing that when I pull it down or it's wet I'm more at collar bone length...so I think I've decided that it might be more fulfilling for me to start tracking my stretched length after all, even though I'm still at chin when dry. I'm going to head over to the SL to APL thread! But half of my heart is still here and I'll lurk often :)

Yenn
February 18th, 2022, 11:16 PM
Hi there, I think I belong here :) Some of my hair touches my shoulders (specifically in the back) but most of my pesky layers are still chin length D: So I will probably hang out here for now.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46727&d=1645248769

Lanalavallama
March 8th, 2022, 09:23 AM
Goodness, this was buried deep in the archives. I shaved nearly all my hair off (accidentally on purpose) 21st or 23rd January 21. Well on my way to shoulder - stretched and bottom layers of hair reach just beyond the base of my neck- so will track my progress here. In need of a trim, which I plan on doing within the next few weeks.

Yenn
March 10th, 2022, 12:56 PM
Welcome, Lanalavallama! And yes, it's super quiet in this thread haha That's a great progress so far! May I ask what was the "accidentally on purpose" about? xD

Lanalavallama
March 10th, 2022, 02:12 PM
Well, I noticed I had some damage and not only on my ends. I wanted to trim, but also cut it a bit shorter so that all the damage would be removed. I was around shoulder/collarbone and wanted a tapered style. Bought the hair cutting machine after a botched scissor trim, a picture of which had a friend howling with laughter. Used the machine, then, and actually didn't fare too badly. Until I tried to tidy the "taper" and forgot to put the guard on. Looked outrageous and hilariously tragic.

I straightened my hair (on rollers) to trim it yesterday. Quite happy with the result. Might post pictures but they are not very good ones.

Yenn your hair looks lovely and I think it will not take you long to reach shoulder. Although, I am not sure how long your shortest layers are.
Like you, not all my hair will reach shoulders at the same time, but I am not too concerned with that at this point.

adani25
March 28th, 2022, 05:29 AM
I tried to just start fresh after so much aggravation of my hair not growing past the top of my shoulder blades. I figured I needed to just focus on my scalp. I buzzed everything to 1 inch. It's been almost 2 years since then. I've only recently found this community, so I'm still very new in what to try and what to attempt for hair growth. Currently my hair sits right at the top of my shoulders. I've got a little more to go before I'd say I'm at shoulder length. This seems to be the hardest and longest part for my hair growing. Lately, I've been just shampooing at the scalp and conditioning the ends. I'm very prone to split ends. I've been letting it dry before brushing, which will hopefully help. Are there any tips/tricks that you have found that work best for your hair routine with your hair being shorter?

Lanalavallama
March 28th, 2022, 10:26 AM
Hi adani25 and welcome.

Given our different hairtypes I imagine our styling routines would be very different. I cannot offer much in that regard, I'm afraid. Hopefully one of the other chin-to-shoulder growers will post.

But I can say that I have learnt to leave my hair alone. My strands are also fine and dislike when I am fiddling in my hair too much.

Can you put your hair up to avoid split ends? Sometimes this is caused by hair rubbing against collars, bag straps, getting caught in the frames of glasses, etc.

momof3mary
March 28th, 2022, 10:58 AM
I'm so close to being able to join this thread I can taste it, I can't wait to join you lovely folks soon! Keep up the great work!

adani25
March 28th, 2022, 03:56 PM
Hi adani25 and welcome.

Given our different hairtypes I imagine our styling routines would be very different. I cannot offer much in that regard, I'm afraid. Hopefully one of the other chin-to-shoulder growers will post.

But I can say that I have learnt to leave my hair alone. My strands are also fine and dislike when I am fiddling in my hair too much.

Can you put your hair up to avoid split ends? Sometimes this is caused by hair rubbing against collars, bag straps, getting caught in the frames of glasses, etc.

Yes, I understand. I can get it up. It's finding the right point to get it all to fit, but I can manage. I'm glad you mentioned hair getting caught in glasses. Since my hair has been growing back out, that is one I never had issues with before. Thanks for the tips on what can sometimes be a factor in split ends and breakage.

Bat
March 29th, 2022, 12:55 AM
I'm so close to being able to join this thread I can taste it, I can't wait to join you lovely folks soon! Keep up the great work!

It's grown so fast!

Lanalavallama
March 29th, 2022, 06:12 AM
momof3mary, an early welcome to this thread.

momof3mary
March 29th, 2022, 03:44 PM
momof3mary, an early welcome to this thread.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to it!

momof3mary
March 29th, 2022, 03:45 PM
It's grown so fast!
Not fast enough😁 Maybe in a year I'll feel better about it.

Bat
March 29th, 2022, 04:01 PM
Not fast enough😁 Maybe in a year I'll feel better about it.
I need a year too xD

solocricket
March 30th, 2022, 03:51 PM
Hi all! I'm newly in the chin to shoulder length category and I'm not so thrilled about it unfortunately. I had self-done pandemic haircuts the last couple of years and a poor self-done bleach job, so I did a big chop professionally to get the bleach off. It's mostly gone, but ahhh I wasn't expecting to go so short! I've realized that I've come to depend on my low-bun look and now that's not so possible. I can't put my hair in a pony, only a half-up half-down sort of thing. It's okay, and I do like that my hair is healthy enough to grow out now, but I'm sad to lose my go-to looks. I'd love some encouragement or some ideas for up dos at this length! I don't like lots of bobby pins and clips-- they give me headaches :(

Lanalavallama
March 31st, 2022, 06:31 AM
Hi solocricket welcome to this thread.

I am sure it must be quite an adjustment. But you can do a half up, which is already something (to me, at least because I am growing out from a shaved head). Perhaps you will find some new looks you like just as much.

Enjoy the growing process; in general we like to complain about it (I do!) but it's lovely to see hair getting longer month by month.

Edit : at an awkward phase; looked in the mirror and resembled The Hoff. :rolleyes:
Not sure if this is a complaint or an observation

Yenn
April 2nd, 2022, 02:56 PM
Hi, guys! :) I haven't measured my hair since February and I was pretty sure I would get to shoulder by now, but no such luck �� Those pesky shorter pieces are still not exactly at my shoulder so I guess I will stay here for a bit longer. Here's side by side February and April :)
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46727&d=1645248769
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46928&d=1648928103

Lanalavallama
April 4th, 2022, 02:38 PM
Soon, Yenn

solocricket
April 13th, 2022, 11:55 AM
Hi solocricket welcome to this thread.

I am sure it must be quite an adjustment. But you can do a half up, which is already something (to me, at least because I am growing out from a shaved head). Perhaps you will find some new looks you like just as much.

Enjoy the growing process; in general we like to complain about it (I do!) but it's lovely to see hair getting longer month by month.

Edit : at an awkward phase; looked in the mirror and resembled The Hoff. :rolleyes:
Not sure if this is a complaint or an observation

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for putting it into perspective! I guess it's the shock coming from a haircut I wasn't totally happy with.

Lanalavallama
April 14th, 2022, 06:26 AM
I can only imagine. And I think all of us feel free to vent here when the need arises :)

ETA : I am at shoulder stretched. Will exit this thread officially at the end of this month.

Bugg
April 18th, 2022, 09:44 AM
I'm joining this thread, hello everyone :) I had been sitting comfortably at waist but my hair was aggravating me so I chopped it to just above BSL at the start of the year. That apparently wasn't enough so I'm now currently rocking a chin length bob. Even with short hair it's still irritating me, moral of the story? I need to learn to make peace with my hair and cutting it doesn't change anything. So, now I'm growing it again :') Shoulder here we come!

The flicky bits are natural it would seem so I decided not to blow dry straight for the picture.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46995&d=1650294846

Bat
April 18th, 2022, 04:00 PM
I'm joining this thread, hello everyone :) I had been sitting comfortably at waist but my hair was aggravating me so I chopped it to just above BSL at the start of the year. That apparently wasn't enough so I'm now currently rocking a chin length bob. Even with short hair it's still irritating me, moral of the story? I need to learn to make peace with my hair and cutting it doesn't change anything. So, now I'm growing it again :') Shoulder here we come!

The flicky bits are natural it would seem so I decided not to blow dry straight for the picture.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46995&d=1650294846
Atleast you are back to your mastadon shirt ,<3 happy growing this time around

Bugg
April 20th, 2022, 10:31 AM
Haha thanks Bat, it's a good shirt for measuring more frequent growth :P I have a white chequered one that works well for seasonal pics :D (That was a hard word to spell!!!) :'d

_Melly_
April 21st, 2022, 10:25 AM
Bugg your hair is so shiny!

Bugg
April 22nd, 2022, 04:35 PM
Thank you! :) A blessing and a curse (when it’s too soft and slips right out of styles haha)

clairenewcastle
April 27th, 2022, 05:16 PM

Your hair looks so shiny and healthy! I am now at shoulder length but am considering cutting back to the same length as you.....

Bugg
May 18th, 2022, 12:55 PM
clairenewcastle thank you :) Did you end up cutting it back?

Slowly but surely we're getting there .. [ETA: The weird flicky bits stopped .. ]
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47102&d=1652899727

clairenewcastle
May 18th, 2022, 01:58 PM
clairenewcastle thank you Did you end up cutting it back?

Not yet. I cannot decide whether to self-trim as I've done before or go to a stylist. When I self-trimmed my hair I got the length I wanted but it grew out uneven.....however I hate going to hairdressers, I find the whole experience tense and they always want to put layers in my hair. So I am putting off doing anything at the moment.

clairenewcastle
May 20th, 2022, 02:48 PM

Slowly but surely we're getting there .. [ETA: The weird flicky bits stopped .. ]
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47102&d=1652899727[/QUOTE]

I went to a hairdresser today and omg, I am so happy to finally have a decent haircut! I got it cut up to just below my chin. My hair is too short to pull back into a ponytail but for once I don't care, its now in a blunt bob with no layers and looks a million times better. Since coming home all I've done is stare at my hair in the mirror which is unusual for me, normally I avoid looking in mirrors but not today - happy, happy hair!

clairenewcastle
May 20th, 2022, 02:49 PM
I went to a hairdresser today and omg, I am so happy to finally have a decent haircut! I got it cut up to just below my chin. My hair is too short to pull back into a ponytail but for once I don't care, its now in a blunt bob with no layers and looks a million times better.

Since coming home all I've done is stare at my hair in the mirror which is unusual for me, normally I avoid looking in mirrors but not today - happy, happy hair!

Bat
May 21st, 2022, 03:16 AM
Bugg! Your hairs grown so fast :D

Bugg
June 23rd, 2022, 07:33 AM
I went to a hairdresser today and omg, I am so happy to finally have a decent haircut! I got it cut up to just below my chin. My hair is too short to pull back into a ponytail but for once I don't care, its now in a blunt bob with no layers and looks a million times better.

Since coming home all I've done is stare at my hair in the mirror which is unusual for me, normally I avoid looking in mirrors but not today - happy, happy hair!

Ah I'm so glad you're happy with it! Mine's driving me crazy and I want it to be longer :P

Bugg! Your hairs grown so fast :D

Haha, only sometimes. My mum said maybe it grows faster in spring like the plants do? :P

Bugg
June 23rd, 2022, 07:35 AM
Making slow progress but we're getting there. I'm getting it dyed soon, may regret that too but if I'm gonna do anything drastic now's a good time while it's short... I'm just really in need of a change at the moment.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47293&d=1655990830

Bat
June 23rd, 2022, 08:42 PM
You could always buy some clip in extentions?

Bugg
June 24th, 2022, 01:30 PM
You could always buy some clip in extentions?

The little clips irritate me as I'm super sensitive to things pulling on my scalp :/ I thought of getting proper one's put in too but they'd only wreck my hair even more plus might still be quite irritating. It's ok though, I am quite enjoying the regrow process, I'm taking regular pictures and keeping notes about what I liked and disliked at each length which may come in handy should I ever get the urge to chop again :P

Bat
June 24th, 2022, 06:18 PM
The little clips irritate me as I'm super sensitive to things pulling on my scalp :/ I thought of getting proper one's put in too but they'd only wreck my hair even more plus might still be quite irritating. It's ok though, I am quite enjoying the regrow process, I'm taking regular pictures and keeping notes about what I liked and disliked at each length which may come in handy should I ever get the urge to chop again :P

That's a good idea I find the colours I like on long hair just aren't the same on short hair I might do the same

SereneCurls
August 25th, 2022, 05:08 PM
Hi everyone. I was around years and years ago, then spent a long time enjoying short hair. I'm at 16 inches unstretched right now with longish blended layers, and planning to let it grow out a few inches to see what it's like. Once I get some help with a photo, I’ll post back here again.
Biggest challenges right now are putting the hair up with my layers. I absolutely love the layers for wearing hair down, which is how I wear it most of the time, but I'm annoyed that when I do put it up I need about 20 pins and clips and things. I'm going to try keeping the layers as I grow it out to preserve curl, but I guess we'll see.

SereneCurls
August 27th, 2022, 03:53 PM
Hopefully this works. Just trying to show the current length. Sorry it's sideways, I don't know how that happens? And apologies if it's the wrong size. https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47606&d=1661636752

Bat
August 27th, 2022, 05:18 PM
Hopefully this works. Just trying to show the current length. Sorry it's sideways, I don't know how that happens? And apologies if it's the wrong size. https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47606&d=1661636752

Looking good!

Happymaman
November 29th, 2022, 11:37 AM
Hi, everyone. I'm growing out from chin-length bob last cut August 31, 2022. I'm hoping it might be grazing my shoulder a month from now but we will see. I want to get out here ASAP! I'll post pics when I get around to it (trying to post enough so I can see everyone else's pics!).

Arcticfoxes
December 4th, 2022, 11:50 AM
Another chin length joining the fold. Just chopped it off from just past shoulder length to chin length, where I had a lot of short layers (wolf cut!). My hair grows fairly fast at these lengths, so fingers crossed I'll be back to where I was soon enough. :)

Happymaman
December 5th, 2022, 11:35 AM
Yay, Arcticfoxes, I saw your post on my intro thread and am so excited to have a buddy in this journey on super fine and thin hair from chin length! How did the wolf cut work on you? I have spent the last couple years terrified of layers so I didn't hop on the bandwagon but I do have some very light layers (like probably 1cm difference) now on my head that I'm working with as we grow (I didn't want it totally completely blunt).

Arcticfoxes
December 5th, 2022, 03:24 PM
Yay, Arcticfoxes, I saw your post on my intro thread and am so excited to have a buddy in this journey on super fine and thin hair from chin length! How did the wolf cut work on you? I have spent the last couple years terrified of layers so I didn't hop on the bandwagon but I do have some very light layers (like probably 1cm difference) now on my head that I'm working with as we grow (I didn't want it totally completely blunt).

Hey hey!

I loved having layered hair at the lengths I've had it. it gives it volume, texture and looks so interesting from different angles. Worked a dream on my fluffy hair, which I mostly wore down. I didn't have to style it and it still looked really good. :)

The problems come with growing hair. Hair sticks out of any protective styles. Braids completely fall out. Buns are always messy with tails sticking out all over the place. And when I did have it at APL, I always wondered why my ends were so thin (it's obvious in hindsight it was because of the heavy layering, but it just wasnt noticeable between chin and shoulder length, only longer).

So now that I've decided to grow it out, I have no choice really but to have one length if I want thick ends and to wear protective styles.

Arcticfoxes
December 5th, 2022, 03:28 PM
Well, it looked amazing on day 1 and 2 after a wash. Flat as anything day 3.

pumpkinsage
December 16th, 2022, 12:08 AM
I'm joining y'all! Most of my hair is past my chin right now. Since I shaved it to 1cm and haven't cut or shaped the body of my hair for 11 months, it's at different lengths because of the layers. One at my eyes, another at my chin, and one just barely touching my shoulders. If I pull the strand down, it stretches just ever so slightly past the shoulders. I just want all of it one length, but I already decided not to cut for another year.

Bat
December 16th, 2022, 01:00 AM
i hope to be closing in on chin by april :D

Bugg
December 24th, 2022, 06:30 AM
Made it to shoulder! Graduating into the next thread, see you guys in Shoulder to APL! :D

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=48183&d=1671887205

Bat
December 25th, 2022, 03:44 AM
this answered my question in the shoulder to APL thread xD I like that blond you've done your hair

Arcticfoxes
December 25th, 2022, 05:05 AM
well done all you graduates and nearly graduates :D

Bugg
January 5th, 2023, 09:00 AM
this answered my question in the shoulder to APL thread xD I like that blond you've done your hair

Thanks Bat! I just got it highlighted at the hairdressers. I'm really enjoying the colour but the condition is terrible, it's soo tangly now! I had given into bleach as I was hoping the loss of condition would 'fluff it out' a bit and make it appear thicker, but I think I prefer my natural, even if the colour isn't as exciting. So, we're growing the bleach out again :P

Thanks Arcticfoxes :P See you in the next thread soon!! :)

battles
February 11th, 2023, 02:04 PM
I'm back again! I chopped from waist to chin after losing my home in a fire this past August. I think I needed that fresh start, but now I'm ready to get back to waist length. My partner and I are also discussing engagement, and I'd love to have long hair for our wedding. :heartbeat

Bat
February 11th, 2023, 05:40 PM
I'm back again! I chopped from waist to chin after losing my home in a fire this past August. I think I needed that fresh start, but now I'm ready to get back to waist length. My partner and I are also discussing engagement, and I'd love to have long hair for our wedding. :heartbeat

Oh man I'm sorry for your house loss, but congrats that things are looking up for you.

battles
February 11th, 2023, 06:41 PM
Oh man I'm sorry for your house loss, but congrats that things are looking up for you.

Thank you so much - it's been tough, but life goes on.

Bat
February 11th, 2023, 08:14 PM
Thank you so much - it's been tough, but life goes on.

Unfortunately it stops for no one but we endure

_Melly_
February 17th, 2023, 12:19 PM
I am back again, my longest pieces of hair are collarbone.

Evangely
April 13th, 2023, 11:55 AM
Just posting in order to keep track of my growth (taking sooooo long!). It's now at 19 inches/48,5 cm. Last time it was cut was November 2022. Sending growth spurts to all

Bat
April 13th, 2023, 01:49 PM
@Melly Wouldn't that make you shoulder to apl or are you waiting for shorter bits to catch up?

elfrida
May 2nd, 2023, 05:24 AM
Ugh, I'm so tired of this stage. My hair is barely grazing my shoulders so I hope maybe in a month's time I'll be out of here. I've fortunately gotten to the point where I can use a claw clip. But my scalp is on the sensitive side so usually towards the end of the day I let it all hang.

Bat
May 3rd, 2023, 07:58 AM
I can't wait until I get back IN this thread lmao dying and cutting has kept me stuck in the buzz thread over a year

Neoma
May 14th, 2023, 12:18 PM
I cut my waist-length hair a couple of years ago. Since then, I've bounced back and forth between shoulder and chin length. I must say that I've enjoyed having it at this length. It always looks good, is wash-and-go, and it frames my face.

That being said, I miss making updos. And I would like to be able to put my hair up when it's hot or windy.

Right now, it's chin-length. I am going to grow to shoulder. When it's shoulder-length, I can braid it to make beachy waves. I may be able to make a French twist, but I'm not sure.

I've told myself that I can stop at shoulder or even cut it again if I don't like it.

So, I'm here.

Bat
May 14th, 2023, 04:40 PM
I cut my waist-length hair a couple of years ago. Since then, I've bounced back and forth between shoulder and chin length. I must say that I've enjoyed having it at this length. It always looks good, is wash-and-go, and it frames my face.

That being said, I miss making updos. And I would like to be able to put my hair up when it's hot or windy.

Right now, it's chin-length. I am going to grow to shoulder. When it's shoulder-length, I can braid it to make beachy waves. I may be able to make a French twist, but I'm not sure.

I've told myself that I can stop at shoulder or even cut it again if I don't like it.

So, I'm here.
Good luck! If I'm lucky I'll be in here by the end of the year

Neoma
May 14th, 2023, 06:57 PM
Good luck! If I'm lucky I'll be in here by the end of the year

Thank you, Bat! :flower:

I like the color of your hair. It looks ethereal.

Bat
May 14th, 2023, 11:38 PM
Thank you, Bat! :flower:

I like the color of your hair. It looks ethereal.
Thanks! I hope to keep it awhile but it's very hard on the hair to get it this white 2 bleachings and a toner luckily my hair is coarse so it can deal with a beating z

Neoma
May 15th, 2023, 11:56 AM
Thanks! I hope to keep it awhile but it's very hard on the hair to get it this white 2 bleachings and a toner luckily my hair is coarse so it can deal with a beating zWow, I can't imagine the upkeep, either.

Regardless, it's gorgeous.

Bat
May 15th, 2023, 07:03 PM
Wow, I can't imagine the upkeep, either.

Regardless, it's gorgeous.
Thank you!
I'm addicted to dying my hair so upkeep won't be the issue for me xD my issue is keeping it this color for longer than a month so I'm not bald :p

Evangely
May 21st, 2023, 01:16 AM
Just an update again (hope it's ok to post monthly updates), mainly because I'm so tempted to cut it.. It's stringy and this length is just not doing my face any justice whatsoever. Whenever I wake up I get frustrated by thinking so hard of how to wear it (nothing seems to look good!). But determined to stick to the goal and not cut/trim in 2023.

length: 52 cm/20.5 inch (seems to have grown 4 cm in one month. Wondering if I just didn't measure it correctly last month, 4 cm seems like a lot and not noticing it xD)

Will do another measurement next month

rytiff
June 2nd, 2023, 06:42 PM
Hello everyone! It’s been awhile since I’ve been here. Since the last time I checked in I decided to do a self inflicted chop to pixie. I have no idea what posseses me to do pick up the scissors every couple of years. I think I get magical thinking that maybe it would make my hair feel thicker, bouncier, or just overall more manageable (it never works out that way though) And usually for the first few weeks I have fun and enjoy it. But then I get bored with it and start growing it out again and have magical thinking that if I let it grow long it will make my hair feel thicker, bouncier, or more manageable…(sounds like I’ve been here before- lol). I am forever chasing the dream and hoping something miraclous happens but it never does and I am in a constant battle with myself between pixie and shoulder length. But no more!!! This time I am going to resolve to love my fine, thin hair no matter what and finally get to my goal of at least waist. I am now back to almost shoulder. Wish me luck!

Bat
June 3rd, 2023, 05:20 PM
Hello everyone! It’s been awhile since I’ve been here. Since the last time I checked in I decided to do a self inflicted chop to pixie. I have no idea what posseses me to do pick up the scissors every couple of years. I think I get magical thinking that maybe it would make my hair feel thicker, bouncier, or just overall more manageable (it never works out that way though) And usually for the first few weeks I have fun and enjoy it. But then I get bored with it and start growing it out again and have magical thinking that if I let it grow long it will make my hair feel thicker, bouncier, or more manageable…(sounds like I’ve been here before- lol). I am forever chasing the dream and hoping something miraclous happens but it never does and I am in a constant battle with myself between pixie and shoulder length. But no more!!! This time I am going to resolve to love my fine, thin hair no matter what and finally get to my goal of at least waist. I am now back to almost shoulder. Wish me luck!

Good luck! You've got past the hard part! Getting to shoulder is the worst

rytiff
June 3rd, 2023, 05:58 PM
Thanks! I’ll keep you posted. Maybe I should just throw out the scissors so I am not tempted to cut the length and then I’ll be safe from myself this time….LOL

H o n є y ❤
August 12th, 2023, 05:26 AM
Just above collarbone. Looking forward being firmly in CBL in the near future!!

pumpkinsage
August 12th, 2023, 01:53 PM
My shortest piece not including my bangs is now an inch under my chin!! I'm so happy!

Pragati Sinha
August 13th, 2023, 11:03 AM

Thank u so much 😊😊

Bat
August 13th, 2023, 06:00 PM
Thank u so much 😊😊

I hope it works for you!

Fethenwen
February 23rd, 2024, 09:17 AM
I started over, I got a haircut yesterday because I want to get rid of a shag cut I have been having for two years. I enjoyed the shag phase while it lasted, did not care about length and had lots of volume and fun with it.
But I miss long well kept hair, and I want to start growing again.
Also I grew out all my henna out of my hair, I also missed my own hair color. Now my whole length is my own color!

So I am at about collarbone, my hair feels so nice and super soft right now. Loving it, I will post a picture at some point.

Bat
February 25th, 2024, 03:02 AM
title is somewhat backwards shoulder is before collarbone :P

Chasemi
February 25th, 2024, 01:59 PM
Haha! I never even noticed

Bat
February 25th, 2024, 03:36 PM
It took me that long to notice too but it's fixed! now ocd can go away lmao

luxurioushair
March 1st, 2024, 04:09 AM
title is somewhat backwards shoulder is before collarbone :P
It is? I've always known shoulder to be longer than collarbone
But then I have an unusually long neck. Maybe it's different for everyone.