PDA

View Full Version : Need hairstyle help

Sassy9226
July 9th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Hello. I'm going on a 3 day hiking trip and I need to hairstyle I can do and leave in for that time. I'm not really sure what would stay I was thinking if a French braid but my hair does love to escape from things. So do you guys have any ideas?

Cinnamoon
July 9th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Cornrows? I don't know how they'd look on your hair, but they would probably stay in pretty well.

SoulOfTheSea
July 9th, 2012, 12:14 PM
At your length, honestly, I would just do a simply ponytail. When my hair was your length, I never worried too much about doing braids or updos, because you honestly just don't need that kind of protection with a shorter cut. If you do want to prevent damage as much as you can, I would maybe oil my hair, put it in a pony, and go.

Or if you really want to do a French braid or braids, braid your hair while it's wet with some oil or conditioner, this helps the braids from coming out.

HTH!

torrilin
July 9th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I'm not sure how stable a single French braid would be given your length and thickness. Going for 2 (or more if you're patient enough) should make things more secure.

SoulOfTheSea
July 9th, 2012, 12:39 PM
I'm not sure how stable a single French braid would be given your length and thickness. Going for 2 (or more if you're patient enough) should make things more secure.

This is a very good point. Completely agree.

Zesty
July 9th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I agree with double french or dutch braids (personally I find dutch stays better, but it depends on the hairstyles you've mastered). I would also plop a bandanna or something overtop to keep things neat and protected, if I were you, but of course that's not required. Something like a crown braid would protect your ends in a way that double braids would not, but again, it depends on whether you can do that style.

neko_kawaii
July 9th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Are you trying to leave it up so you don't have to pack a comb/brush?

If it were me and I didn't have room for a comb in my bag, I'd do a braid (doesn't mater what kind as long as it is comfortable under my hat) and when the braid got loose and irritating I would undo it, finger comb and redo the braid (English braids being easier to do with a few tangles than French). Bandanas go a long ways toward keeping escaped wispies out of my face and are useful for many other things when hiking.

patienceneeded
July 9th, 2012, 01:01 PM
If it were me and I didn't have room for a comb in my bag, I'd do a braid (doesn't mater what kind as long as it is comfortable under my hat) and when the braid got loose and irritating I would undo it, finger comb and redo the braid (English braids being easier to do with a few tangles than French). Bandanas go a long ways toward keeping escaped wispies out of my face and are useful for many other things when hiking.

I completely agree with this! Fingercomb and re-braid as desired.

Siiri
July 9th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I second the advice on wearing a head covering on top. I just got myself a Buff (a type of thin tube scarf) for this summer, which I wear when I'm out in the forest. Any scarf or a hat would do. It keeps the spiderweb, bugs, twigs and other dirt from getting into your hair. I like the Buff because it's easier than a scarf to put back on if you get it caught in a tree branch and have to rearrange it.

Madora
July 9th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Here's a two strand lace crown braid that is easy to do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

I also agree with the head covering suggestion. Wear a fabric that "breathes" i.e. cotton...white, preferably.

If time if of the essence, then a single dutch or english braid is hair friendly.

Ponytails are not your friend! Your hair will get tangled in no time, plus the constant bouncing around wears on the hairs held in the band.

spirals
July 9th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I'd do twin braids, which are easier to take out than french. Are you bringing some kind of skin cream? That can double as a detangler if you need it while finger-combing.

lapushka
July 9th, 2012, 01:23 PM
At your length, honestly, I would just do a simply ponytail. When my hair was your length, I never worried too much about doing braids or updos, because you honestly just don't need that kind of protection with a shorter cut. If you do want to prevent damage as much as you can, I would maybe oil my hair, put it in a pony, and go.

Agree with the ponytail. At your length, I wouldn't worry about damage too much, and a ponytail will be the easiest style to do.

Sassy9226
July 10th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Hello.
Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm going to do my best to master that lace braid that madora suggested and if that doesn't work I think I may just go double Dutch.
Also I hadnt even thought about a head covering or scarf so I will look into that as well.
Again thank you so much. It's always nice to hear from people with more experience

Dorothy
July 10th, 2012, 07:49 AM
That woman in the video has gorgeous hair and does fabulous styles. However, my hair behaves completely different than hers, her hair seems to cling to itself and stay where she tucks it, and mine so does not. Everything unravels and comes tumbling down. Her 2 section twists seem to stay defined, my two section twists merge into one twist... Sigh.

spidermom
July 10th, 2012, 08:11 AM
I'd do 2 dutch braids and maybe tie it up with a scarf.